Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2021, 12:10   #46
BANNED

Re: Electric revolution is coming | Get ready

Everyone has range anxiety when they start using an EV, I had the same with my Ather 450, but now it is existent. Coming to your drop in range, the depending on the version of the car (2.08 being latest) the DTE estimated as per the latest consumption of energy. Always look at the energy consumption reading and then extrapolate DTE.
Old 12th January 2021, 13:11   #47
BHPian

Absolutely astonishing sales growth in Europe. Even in China, I believe the EV market grew by ~10% when the auto industry as a whole was down ~ 10% in 2020. All this points to Ev`s growing much faster than most manufacturers assumed they would. With Europe transitioning so quickly, very soon the Manufacturers in Europe will stop investing in ICE and that would mean no improvements and countries that don`t transition will have older and older technology to deal with. The shift to EV`s is inevitable and happening faster than we can imagine.
As for the issues a lot of people quote. These I believe are just minor in nature and natural for any new technology. The solutions are easy, if we look at trying to solve it, instead of just saying there is an issue. I honestly foresee a situation where road side dhabas sell electricity ( additional income) along with their food along the highways in India. And that day cant come too soon.
We need to stop depending on :
1) Countries for our oil which is priced at their whim and fancy.
2) Govt charging exorbitant taxes on petrol- as and when they like
3) Car dealers charging ridiculous amounts for service and maintenance of ICE vehicles
4) Reduce the carbon burning emissions and save our only planet.

And the only viable solution, as of now, seems to be to go electric.

Although I have been a hardcore petrol head all my life and worked with car dealerships all my working life, having driven the Tesla and other EV`s (bolt, Ipace), I am absolutely convinced the days of the ICE is numbered and people need to be educated about the benefits of Ev`s, which is the greatest hindrance to its growth. Hopefully the advent of Tesla in India, will show the masses what really can be achieved and we go full on towards this future, sooner than later.
Old 12th January 2021, 13:11   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
The rule of thumb is 30 years. That's usually the time it takes for a tech from the west to come to our shores and get adapted to Indian climatic conditions. Given the reluctance shown by major auto players in India(read Maruti) and with GOI dragging its feet on the issue. I don't see EV's being mainstay in the next decade even. I would be happy to be proven wrong.
Go to YouTube and type Tony Seba. See the longest video available. Perhaps that will change your mind. My bet is 5 years for EV sales volume to find party with ICE volumes. But then I am a dreamer!
Ferruccio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 13:19   #49
BHPian

I have no doubt that EV will play part in controlling environment.

But I am not sure if replacing every ICE Vehicle on Planet with a EV is the correct approach and I am afraid we are going in that direction.

There are no efforts to reduce the personals ownership of vehicles.
The USA for example don't even have good public railway system and has highest vehicle ownership.

I would like imagine a future where no one really needs to own a car, and instead rely on public transport augmented by Smart and Autonomous Electric Cars which you could summon from your phone.

But I feel this approach would need fewer cars to manufacture and hence lesser corporate profits.
Old 12th January 2021, 14:36   #50
BHPian

Adoption of any technology heavily depends upon factors like:

# Size of country and available infrastructure
# Population of vehicles
# Income level (personal and country level)
# Awareness of people about environment

Much is discussed about above in great detail. So I would like to add my bits in terms of our country.

# Our country is heavily dependent upon indirect revenue generated from sales of vehicles and fuel. This is currently 20% which is very high compared to developed countries which stands roughly around 2% to 4%.

To arrive at exact figures, we have to deduct consumption of diesel in heavy vehicles as well as other sectors (aviation, rail, agricultue etc.). So overall figure arrives of 10% (revenue generated from taxing fuel for private vehicles (2, 3, 4 wheeler)). Where will we generate 10% such revenue from and in how much time?

# Regarding example of Nexon EV, if you buy it now at 12 lakh, then after 5 years you have to replace its battery at cost of 5 lakh (yes, battery cost will decrease in future). So even if running cost of BEV is cheap, overall it turns very expensive after 5 years. I take their 7 years warranty as highly ambitious.

# Also Lithium (important ingredient in manufacturing batteries) and Cobalt are not cheap to find & extract and only few countries have easily available deposit & control (Chile, Australia, China etc.). Once demand of batteries increase in large amount (in US, India, Brazil etc.) price will not decrease after certain extent (because of Lithium issue)

Although I personally like BEVs, it is daunting task in countries like India to adopt it at consistent pace. We should target to electrify 2 and 3 wheeler market first as it will not only burden less on charging infra, but also reduce cars from roads. At same time Gasify public & commercial transport as CNG is still very cheap compared to Diesel. I would set following targets for electrifying automotive industry:

all 2, 3 wheeler by 2030
all cars, UVs (PVs and CVs) by 2040
and rest (heavy ones) by 2050

https://pib.gov.in/newsite/PrintRele...x?relid=102799

https://www.orfonline.org/expert-spe...leum-products/

https://factly.in/data-more-than-20-...petrol-diesel/

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/m...-at-what-cost/
Old 12th January 2021, 14:36   #51

How'd be this for a start:

TATA Motors stocks shot by 13℅ amidst rumors of a JV b/w the Big T's (Tata & Tesla) with Tesla apparently assessing TATA to be the domestic leader in terms of EV Infra & know-how.

https://m.economictimes.com/markets/...w/80214343.cms
Old 12th January 2021, 16:02   #52
BHPian

Although it takes time to have the infrastructure ready for Electric vehicles in India but the world is moving at very fast pace and yes the future is Electric as all the Automobile companies are investing hugely in the battery tech.

Also please add Mercedes EQS (Electric S Class) and EQA (Electric GLA) to the list of EV's to be released in 2021. The EQB might also be ready by the end of 2021.
Old 12th January 2021, 16:24   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverNo.420 View Post
I'd say EVs will also become mainstream in India sooner than anyone is expecting.
I don't see it happening in India unless and until adequate charging infrastructure is put up and erratic power supply is taken care of. Besides that, a range of 500 kms at least would take care of charging anxieties.
shaheenazk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 16:42   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Understandably several members have doubts about the efficacy of EVs as the prime mode of future road transport.
Great thread, and even at the cost of sounding like a Fanboy, what a post (quoted above) by Mr Narayan. The electric revolution is here in the West - if I lived in the US (esp CA or NY area) or Europe, I am sure that all future cars I buy would be electric.

Even in India, electric cars are already adequate for most users - in nearly 23 years of car ownership, covering nearly 32,000 km with my X3, nearly 75,000 km with my Vento and ~ 60,000 km each with previously owned cars like my Superb, Getz & City and 76,000 km with my first car, a Zen, I have travelled more than 250 km door to door under 30 times (counting each direction as a trip). So an average of 2 two way trips every 3 years when the currently available Electric Cars would not be sufficient (subject to availability of even a slow charger at both ends). And I am willing to bet that the same would apply for most car buyers - and perhaps even most Team BHPians.

So why would I not buy an Electric Car today? It boils down to the available models - the MG ZS comes closest to meeting my needs but I still need to test it with my family, and I also have to get over my Ladakh hang up. At ₹1cr, the EQC is beyond my budget. If we had a Model 3 available in the ₹50 - 60l range, it would probably replace my X3 three to four years from now. The fact is that with every manufacturer focussed on EVs, we will have models available at every price point above ₹10 lakhs in the next year or two (as opposed to the yawning gap that exists between the ZS and the EQC) - and that will lead to a massive shift to EVs for all urban dwellers who have a covered parking available.
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 18:35   #55

The main advantage for India is its disadvantage which is poor infrastructure or complete lack of it. Like cell phone towers mushroomed after the advent of mobile telephony, charging stations will also proliferate all over the cities and highways in no time. There wont be legacy (technology) issue and latest high-speed charging stations can be brought in. Only problem is affordability of EV. Once that is addressed India can leapfrog into a booming EV market.
Old 12th January 2021, 18:49   #56
BHPian

The cost of Electric Vehicles are reducing gradually and there are plenty of benefits for people making the switch. From the environmental impact to the savings you can make on fuel, tax and maintenance costs, electric vehicles could help us save significant amounts of money.

While the price of an EV may be similar to most comparable petrol or diesel cars, the cost of running one is significantly cheaper particularly over the full lifetime of the vehicle. From tax incentives and special government grants to enhanced fuel efficiency, the lower cost of electricity and reduced maintenance requirements, you could spend far less on an electric vehicle than you do on your current car.
There are generally 3 main components powering the vehicle; the on-board charger, inverter and motor. This means there is far less wear and tear on the car and little stress on the motor, with fewer moving parts susceptible to damage. But given the current infrastructure this might be a dream come true for many only after a decade or so!

The Delhi government has come up with a new Electric Vehicle (EV) Policy. The policy provides few commercial incentives that are proposed for all purchasers of EVs for the coming three years. Buying a two-wheeler, an e-rickshaw or freight vehicles is now going to allow a benefit of up to Rs 30,000 and for a four-wheeler, a benefit of up to 1.5 lakh which is the first of its kind in the country. The incentive of Rs. 30,000 per e-scooter is a huge step to ramp up the sales of two-wheeler electric vehicles in Delhi.

The policy mentions that purchase of EVs will be exempted from paying road tax and registration fees. Currently, road tax ranges from 4 percent to 10 percent of the expenditure of the vehicle, and the registration fee amounts to about Rs. 3,000. Additionally, a subsidy of Rs 5,000 per kWh of the battery capacity up to Rs 30,000 given on the acquisition of each electric vehicle points towards a satisfactory profit on part of the buyers. For the first 1,000 e-cars or electric four-wheelers, a subsidy of Rs 10,000 per kWh is allotted, which is capped at Rs 150,000 per vehicle.
Old 12th January 2021, 19:40   #57
BHPian

Despite the practical challenges in India, EVs are going to take over the world and India is not an exception. Of course, one can stay with ICE vehicles for another decade or more easily but these skepticisms even though well founded are like clutching the straws.

As soon as EVs are discussed, people bring about all the edge case rare scenarios out like they are so common. People worry about getting stranded on the road with EVs when getting stranded on ICE vehicles for mechanical issues happens several times daily.

The EVs are only going to get better from here and those who don't believe it are in denial.
Old 12th January 2021, 19:51   #58
BANNED

Any predictions or first hand knowledge of how EVs are going to handle the Monsoon flooded roads of Mumbai and other places?

Cheers
Old 12th January 2021, 19:54   #59
BHPian

I have registered my thoughts in a very elaborate team-bhp thread here (Electric cars, their ecosystem & our mindset).

For those who think EVs are not going to be polular in India any sooner, I can only ask you to watch this very short video of what Dutch people thought of mobile phones in 1998. (Don't forget to turn cc on)

Last edited by carthick1000 : 12th January 2021 at 19:57.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 20:05   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Any predictions or first hand knowledge of how EVs are going to handle the Monsoon flooded roads of Mumbai and other places?

Cheers
By IP certifications for water protection just like your phones.

Nexon EV -

Tesla Model S -

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks