Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2021, 20:36   #61
BANNED

Re: Electric revolution is coming | Get ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
By IP certifications for water protection just like your phones.
So, is there an official IP rating for EVs? Any idea what it is?

Hope rats don't chew into the insulation and ruin the rating on a rainy day. Did someone say electrocution? I didn't.

At least if the IP certification of my smartphone (what is that? An O-ring? They never fail) fails, it just kills my phone.

Cheers
Old 12th January 2021, 20:53   #62
BHPian

Europe / UK have seen a surge in electric vehicles in the last few years however I highly doubt the same would be the case in India anytime soon. Be it the infrastructure or the acceptability it still feels to be far off. A recent decision of Wagon R EV being cancelled might be because of the same but then again Tesla coming in might change a lot.
Old 12th January 2021, 20:55   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post

For those who think EVs are not going to be polular in India any sooner, I can only ask you to watch this very short video of what Dutch people thought of mobile phones in 1998. (Don't forget to turn cc on)

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=6lILHsx_IkM
Nice video, shows how difficult to convince people of a product they have never seen.

For some the earth is flat, no amount of proof will convince them to believe it's actually a sphere. Let them believe their fictional story.
SKC-auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 22:10   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post

For those who think EVs are not going to be popular in India any sooner, I can only ask you to watch this very short video of what Dutch people thought of mobile phones in 1998.
A very nice video I must say however I beg to differ on just one point. Agreed that a majority of Dutch thought back in 1998 that mobile phones would not be a necessity in times to come however they did have the basic infrastructure (electricity for charging cell phones etc.). Thinking about the current scenario in India it still would be a far fetched idea to use EVs in mountains and most of the rural parts of the country because of the lack of infrastructure. Things might change in future but currently it would be too tough. Just my thought, no offences meant to anyone and personally I am inquisitive about electrics as well.
Old 13th January 2021, 00:04   #65
BHPian

As a nation, we have been using alcohol and Cigarettes as cash cows for well over 4 decades. Fuel has been added to this bucket since last decade.
With Cigarettes under the purview of GST and abolition being a poll plank, specially in hindi Heartland, getting a Govt to actively promote EV by giving subsidies etc on one hand and risk the loss of revenue from the other doesn't make any financial sense.
Any party in power would probably be singing platitudes on EV adoption while doing nothing to actually promote it.
If EV does become mainstream here, it would have to be despite the Executive, not because of any decisions from them.
Also, with other countries going Electric, the cost of crude will probably stagnate, giving a huge headroom to add in revenue by keeping the taxes as high as possible (We are already seeing this now).
There will also be a lot of job losses from the unorganised sector (FNG) as the EV would probably be a closed eco system, where no one but an authorised provider can service the vehicle.
Given these parameters I'd say EV's going mainstream isn't going to happen for the next 30/40 years irrespective of how the other countries fare.
Old 13th January 2021, 13:15   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
They must try to replace the battery of the car with a fully charged one so one can continue their journey in a jiffy instead of waiting for a hour to get the battery to 80% charge. That way it would be like filling gas or changing the cylinder in an LPG car. Till this happens people in India may not be too interested in adopting battery tech. They can have full charged batteries stored in petrol pumps so the petrol pumps can easily shift from dispensing petrol/diesel to changing battery packs and no job will be lost in the process.
I feel this is going to be the mainstay of the EV infrastructure as opposed to charging. We Indians cannot wait at a red light for half a second, imagine plugging in to get juice.

I know of a few companies who are working on this model i.e. to have EV points like gas stations and the recent notification by the road transport and highways ministry to allow sale of EVs without batteries would be a step in that direction as it will help drive some amount of standardization in the batteries.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...5.cms?from=mdr

However, for that to happen a few things would need to fall in place
1. Battery packs to become standardized in terms of size and shape
2. Availability of Electricity (in a country where many cities face power shortage even today, what are the chances that power would be made available to cars which are still viewed and taxed as luxury items)
3. Car design (in relation to removal and fitment of battery packs) will need to become standardized. A Tesla battery pack weighs in upwards of 500 Kgs and there would be safety issues when fully charged, its not like popping a AAA battery in.
Old 13th January 2021, 19:40   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

The charging infrastructure will naturally follow demand and usually faster than we believe. Once real world range with a 20% safety charge crosses 300 kms, the use of EV's will spread as that range will address ~90% of the daily needs of ~90% of consumers.

Talking only with reference to India:

Wind power accounts for nearly 10% of India's total installed power generation capacity and generated 62.03 TeraWh in the fiscal year 2018–19, which is nearly 4% of total electricity generation. The capacity utilization factor is ~19%. 70% of annual wind generation is during the five months duration from May to September coinciding with Southwest monsoon duration. In India, solar power is complementary to wind power as it is generated mostly during the non-monsoon period in daytime. As of 30 September 2020, the total installed wind power capacity was 38,124 MW, the fourth largest installed wind power capacity in the world.
Not only that the production is improving, there is huge solar power production capacity looking for longer term purchase contract. So the production constraints are going away in India. Time is now to invest in transmission capacity. This is the source of power cuts. Incidentally it so happens that energy storage technology gets a boost via Mega Packs (from Tesla). With improved energy storage it will be possible in next 20 years to power most of the EV with either solar or wind. It is also interesting that BEV have better use case in very remote areas where Sun does come but making Oil available is a challenge.

So yes move to BEV is happening and will only accelerate from here.
On an individual basis I was thinking why not wait for few years and buy next BEV car only when a competent product is available.
CarJunki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 09:54   #68
Senior - BHPian

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/13/b...ars/index.html

VW is doing great at 50% sales of Tesla in BEV and also have good hybrid sales. Will be interesting see the sales in a year's time.

Shouldn't their market cap be same as Tesla

Last edited by srishiva : 14th January 2021 at 10:01.
Old 14th January 2021, 11:33   #69
Senior - BHPian

Am I the only one who's going nostalgic, after reading the discussion here?
This thread is very relevant and aptly timed, kudos to the thread starter for initiating a great discussion.

Having that said, If you search our forum, you'll see several such (now totally entertaining ) discussions in TBHP. I'm 100% sure that this thread too will go down like this one:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ork-india.html (Will GPS work in India ?)

"The Only Thing That Remains Constant Is Change".

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 14th January 2021 at 11:36.
sandeepmdas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed