Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2021, 11:08   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon EV is India's best-selling electric car of 2020

This is just the beginning. Once we start seeing good EV cars in the sub 10 lakh and sub 5 lakh pice point, they'll explode. This segment is very price conscious. And the largest. And EVs have way cheaper fuel costs as well as maintenance costs. And most of their life is used in commuting. Once this explosion starts, more highway charging points will also be built.
evil_grin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 11:10   #17
BHPian

Kudos to Tata. When it pours it rains !!

Tata started making desirable , solid vehicles and they are reaping the benefits.

Full EV adoption is still some time away but there are specific use cases which makes a lot of sense for EVs. If the regular commute to work place is ~100 kms to 200 kms and never more, then EVs save significant $$.

However you still need a second car for long trips as I would not like to take chances being stranded some where or waiting in a long line for charging.

My ideal 3 car garage is now: BMW 330i, Toyota Innova, Nexon EV.
charanreddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 11:13   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats, TATA !

EV's being mostly used in the city today, the Nexon was a good pick by Tata for the EV. Compact, the start-stop traffic, good visibility and good comfort - all these making city drive that much more easier. And unlike the e2o, Nexon also has the space for the regular family + their shopping. The safety ratings of the regular Nexon adding to the appeal of the Nexon EV.

Regarding the Tigor EV - looks like most of those 100 vehicles were the ones that were supplied to the government ?

Last edited by condor : 17th January 2021 at 11:16.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 11:26   #19
BHPian

Tata's calculated risk has paid off well. Nexon is a stellar product, the EV consumers would have much less doubt trusting it (in terms of brand, build quality and safety aspects). I believe Tata Power's widespread infrastructure (EV Charging Stations) was a relief for the consumers in the overall buying process, as no other manufacturer has such a good network of EV Charging Stations currently.

M&M clearly failed due to lack of ecosystem which a niche product needs (like EV Charging Stations), and they still won't succeed until and unless they focus on improving the charging network.
invincii is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 11:35   #20
BHPian

Way to go Tata.

I hope they launch affordable EV's in the less than 10lacs bracket. I am okay with a slower city car if that would lead to longer ranges. Say 0 to 80 in 10 seconds instead of 5 or 6 secs

Come on Tata bring on the Tigor, Tiago and Nano EV's.
pugram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 11:40   #21
S2K
BHPian

This is great!! Hope they keep developing their EV tech and bring it to other models soon!!
This is definitely the perfect city car but if it provides enough range for short inter-city travels like Mumbai-Pune or Mumbai-Nashik, I think Tata will see a major uptick in sales.
A few months back I was looking to buy a sub-company SUV and Nexon and Ecosport were my top choices. Soon, the Nexon EV become the top choice especially when I saw the range.
However, in a lot of reviews the range achieved was considerably lesser than the ARAI figure. Even that range was actually enough by my purposes, but had it been higher by, say, 50KM, I would be free from any frequent range anxiety.
It was only for this reason that I decided to downgrade and bought a Freestyle just so that I'll have a bit more money to spend on my next car, definitely an EV, which will probably have better EV tech and better range.
S2K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 12:37   #22
BHPian

This is one desirable, and amongst the most practical EVs with a lot going for it, first and foremost the reasonable price, the stunning looks, decent performance and range, I'am not much of a desh bhakt kindof a guy but this and the Harrier and regular Nexon range does make me proud, these are more or less at par with international products considering their price, i don't think there are many Indian products in any category for which the same can be said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
With the extremely fast pace of development, EVs are currently like smartphones. Mostly every year and for all EVs, you'll see software & hardware improvements, including in range.
Sadly, this is one area for which there hasn't been much development in smartphone at all, if you consider the last decade, the actual chipset has improved by more than 2000%, the cameras went from noisy mess to actual replacements of digital cameras and video camcorders, the newest chipsets have gotten much more efficient in using the battery and we use much bigger batteries since the phones have gotten bigger, hence the improvement in battery life but the actual physical battery hasn't improved that much at all, this sadly is the Achilles heel for the EVs as well. (Undesirable in cost, weight and range)

Unless there is a major breakthrough in battery technology one can't expect any substantial improvement in the range given a car size, thankfully with tremendous growth in this sector and the sheer passion with which companies like Tesla function, one can always dream that it might happen sooner than later, today i do feel EVs will somehow, eventually take over the world, the same could not have been said a decade earlier.

They only have to make sense to go mainstream and with sense i mean they should be better than the current technology to replace it, with better i mean cost about as much, run atleast as fast (apparently not a problem ), be as reliable and have at least as much range and maintenance cost.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 17th January 2021 at 12:39.
Rocketscience is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 14:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Unless there is a major breakthrough in battery technology one can't expect any substantial improvement in the range given a car size, thankfully with tremendous growth in this sector and the sheer passion with which companies like Tesla function, one can always dream that it might happen sooner than later, today i do feel EVs will somehow, eventually take over the world, the same could not have been said a decade earlier.
I agree with you. My iPhone 6 had a 1400 mAh battery. My current Redmi Note 7S has 4000. Only the battery size has increased since they both give me a day/day and a half charge only.

I have been reading a bit about Solid state batteries and how they overcome the current drawbacks of the current batteries used in EV's (longer charging time etc). Maybe in another 5 years we may have SSB's becoming mass market and making their debut on the EV front !

Till that time, I'll hold my breath for the Altroz EV, hoping it comes with the same battery pack as the Nexon and atleast a real world range of 300km, given the lesser weight it has to carry compared to Nexon. Currently Nexon EV is only available in Ludhiana in Punjab, which in itself is a big bummer. Lack of any suitable chargers in HP, Punjab, Haryana (apart from Karnal) and J&K do not help in promoting EV's.

Last edited by jasjotbains : 17th January 2021 at 14:25.
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 16:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

As much as I like Nexon EV for stupendous acceleration and low running costs, I can't, for the love of God, fathom why TM did not throw in cruise control in EV. They did, in petrol-diesel Nexons. How hard is that to do? CC would have resulted in phenomenal power efficiency. It also helps you avoid speeding ticket. When we drive with foot on the pedal, unbeknown to us, our foot presses down on pedal and speed creeps up.

I have a question for Nexon EV users. How much power does an hour of airconditioning usage (at 24 degree) consume in a parked car? It generally burns 2 to 3 litres per hour in a petrol car and 1.5 to 2.5 L in a diesel car, if we use airconditioning while parked. In ICE car, AC is driven off engine power whereas, in EV, it is straight off battery. How many KMs will be knocked off 250 Km range, if AC is turned on for an hour, while parked? Has anyone done that?
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 19:49   #25
BHPian

We need to give it to Tata....they have put in their best for the EVs and I am sure they would better their product in the coming days.

Now it's the turn of the government to show some seriousness and build the infrastructure along highways in order to support the manufacturers. Just waving road tax by a few states is way too little.

I doubt the government will give a push to the EVs as petrol diesel is a cash cow in terms of the taxes they get.
Old 18th January 2021, 08:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Cross Posting.

Looks like TATA's Nexon EV has been added to the Kerala Police fleet

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4980677 (Tata Hexa : Official Review)
Old 18th January 2021, 11:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Tata. Great achievement for sure.

Is the news "Tesla going to partner with Tata in India" for EV business is true? If that is true, we certainly will have exciting future for EV's in India. We can certainly hope for good cars at better, affordable price. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Old 24th January 2021, 21:21   #28
BHPian

Tata motors has confirmed that the JV with Tesla is not under discussion. That is really sad news, most of us were hoping for a great partnership and start of EV monopoly.

Anyways, this does not mean that people are are limiting to city drives with the Nexon, came across a blog on trusting the EV for a 1500 Km ride.

https://www.thebetterindia.com/24771...st-rs-700/amp/

Hoping to see many more long drives like these to reemphasize the trust on Nexon.
Old 29th January 2021, 10:31   #29
BANNED

Tata Nexon EV completes one year in India, close to 3,000 units sold

To mark the occasion of the first anniversary of its Nexon EV, Tata Motors unveiled a specially produced film that tracks the Nexon EVs journey from being one of the first aspirational electric SUVs in the country to leading the EV revolution in India. From introducing the idea of an electric future to democratizing the adoption of EVs, the film delves into interesting features and experiences with the vehicle.

Quote:
Tata Motors today announced the first anniversary celebrations of its popular electric SUV, the Tata Nexon EV. Since its launch a year ago, the Nexon EV has consistently grown in popularity to become India’s highest-selling electric vehicle, commanding a market share of 64% (YTD FY21). Much admired for its design, zero emission technology, accessibility, performance, connected features and above all, really low operating costs, close to 3000 families are currently enjoying the pleasure of owning and driving the Nexon EV and proud of reducing CO2 emissions equivalent to planting 100,000 trees each year.

Speaking about the one-year milestone, Shailesh Chandra – President, Passenger Vehicles Business Unit, Tata Motors said, “It has been a remarkable year for the Nexon EV in India. Since its launch, it has consistently emerged as a market leader in its segment. Conceptualised with the idea of making EVs a mainstream choice in India, the brand Nexon EV delights its customers with a balanced mix of superior performance, advanced features and adequate driving range, making it an aspirational electric car. In a short span of time, the Nexon EV has been widely accepted by the customers, enthusiasts and the industry. We are truly touched to see our customers openly sharing their experiences with family and friends, which is also helping in breaking myths and addressing barriers to EV adoption. We would like to express our sincere gratitude to all our valued customers for showing trust and strong confidence in Nexon EV, making it the most preferred electric car in the country.”
wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 08:20   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Delhi transport dept. issues notice to Tata Motors over complaint from e-car owner ( TATA NEXON)

Quote:
It has been informed that while the vehicle model is specified to provide a 312-km range on a single charge, the vehicle owned by the said customer has never provided a range of more than 200 km

Link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks