Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2021, 11:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nexon EV is India's best-selling electric car of 2020

The Tata Nexon EV has become India's best selling electric car in 2020, with over 2,600 units sold.

Tata Nexon EV is India's best-selling electric car of 2020-download-34.jpg

Tata Motors sold 2,602 units of the Nexon EV during the calendar year. The total EV sales stood at 4,137 units, which means the Nexon EV had a market share of almost 63%.

The MG ZS was in second place with 1,243 units and a market share of just over 30%. Hyundai sold 183 units of the Kona Electric, while the Tigor EV and e-Verito clocked sales of 100 units and 9 units respectively.

The Nexon EV uses a 30.2 kWh lithium-ion battery that powers an electric motor which has an output of 127 BHP and 245 Nm. The company claims that the car can do a 0-100 km/h sprint in 9.9 seconds.

The battery is said to have an ARAI-certified maximum range of over 312 km on a single charge (MIDC cycle). It has fast charging capability and can be charged to 80% of its capacity using a DC fast charger in 1 hour. Using a standard AC charger, it takes 8-9 hours to charge to 100%.

Source: Rushlane
TusharK is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 12:12   #2
BANNED

Re: Tata Nexon EV is India's best-selling electric car of 2020

Feel proud to have contribute to that number. Driving an EV is a bliss, once FC comes up it would be easy and lighter on the pocket for those trips. I haven't visited a fuel station in over six months, dare i say it, lessened the stress too.
DarthVeda is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 12:43   #3
BHPian

Any rumours/scoops on a battery update this year?

Im in the market for an upgrade from i10. Been looking at crossovers and eagerly waiting for the Taigun. But i still have a side-plan of buying an EV and a 2nd hand Ecosport
lina is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:32   #4
BHPian

Nexon EV is the cheapest proper EV and that was the only reason I purchased one. Tigor and e-Verito were underpowered juggad products and were never a proper EV. I am sure a lot of people bought Nexon EV since that was the only affordable option available.

Nexon EV was way over my budget and If there was another cheaper EV, I would have blindly bought that since my only requirements were comfort and powerful motor to climb the steep incline to my parking area. I would have been happy even with 150KM range since this was basically a city car to replace the Alto. When they launch Altroz EV at a cheaper price, I am sure that will overtake Nexon as the highest selling EV and so will the future cheaper EVs.

Last edited by Holyghost : 12th January 2021 at 14:35.
Holyghost is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:38   #5

Here's something further promising for TATA in the EV domain:

TATA Motors stocks shoot by 13℅ amidst rumors of a JV b/w the Big T's (Tata & Tesla) with Tesla apparently assessing TATA to be the domestic leader in terms of EV Infra & know-how.

https://m.economictimes.com/markets/...w/80214343.cms
Predator_ONE is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 15:37   #6
BHPian

Congrats TATA MOTORS!

One doubt. The Tigor is already tested for being an EV but with an inefficient unit. This also means that Tiago platform is perfectly fine for being an EV.

Why don't they try an efficient unit similar to the one in Nexon in Tiago/Tigor ? Anyway the platform is already EV ready and tested, for both!
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 12:23   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Tata Motors sold 2,602 units of the Nexon EV during the calendar year. The total EV sales stood at 4,137 units, which means the Nexon EV had a market share of almost 63%.
Congrats Tata . You've done with v1 of your EV what Mahindra-Reva couldn't achieve after 10 years of trying. Just goes to show that customers will be more accepting of EVs if they are well-priced, modern (not a dumb e-Verito), practical to use like a regular car and offer acceptable range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
Any rumours/scoops on a battery update this year?
With the extremely fast pace of development, EVs are currently like smartphones. Mostly every year and for all EVs, you'll see software & hardware improvements, including in range.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 12:38   #8
BHPian

Tata is on track to become a serious EV player not just in India with the domestic models - 53% of JLR’s retail sales in the third quarter were from electric vehicles.

Excerpts from the below news article - "Shailesh Chandra, President, Passenger Vehicle Business Unit, Tata Motors, told The Hindu Business Line that, “a smart strategy with a clear focus on breaking the key EV barriers and partnerships with group companies such as Tata Power, Tata Chemicals, Tata AutoComp Systems, and Tata Capital for establishing the EV ecosystem, has paid dividends for the company.”

https://www.businessinsider.in/busin...w/80228401.cms

Exciting times ahead for EVs.
VindyWheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 12:41   #9
BHPian

The thing I am most happy about, atleast we did not hear any major issues been reported from Nexon EV.(Eg: like Konas getting bricked)

Well done Tata.
SideView is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 23:58   #10
BHPian

Congrats Tata! Right from the beginning it feels Tata has been one step ahead, be it pulling in their group companies for support and infra, Providing 8yrs warranty on the battery as well as choosing a solid proven chassis. The pricing and the warranty aspect must have been major contributor for these numbers, atleast it did for me.

It makes a perfect city car and practical for most users who have a dedicated parking spot with a properly grounded power source.

The monthly numbers are steadily increasing and seeing them more frequently on road. Now it's only upto the TASS to keep up the momentum, as well as regular updates and improvements will help in converting more people who are right now sitting in the fence..

Hope this doesn't get into their heads too much and start making frequent impromptu price hikes and feature omissions like they did few months back.
Th!ru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 02:55   #11
Team-BHP Support

I think part of the success of the Nexon lies in its spot on positioning and pricing.

You need a bottom up approach to this segment for now (albeit in the upper range of the bottom).

Customers who want to take a leap of faith into the EV world would rather spend the attractive 16 lakh rather than 25 - 30 lakh for their first experience with a full EV. It is after all a second car to most owners, if not third. Equally they will not want to plonk money into something that is TOO basic and pedestrian (previous sub 8-10 lakh offerings from Mahindra or even Tata).

The Nexon fits that bill perfectly. It is incredibly nice to look at, has more than decent range, extremely comfortable both at front and back both for the city and for those looking at short range highway runs, even for the longer run. Finally, it looks DESIRABLE! All this for a very acceptable price tag of 14 - 16 lakh on road in Maharashtra.

Spot on formula in my opinion. If they can ensure the current owners get a niggle free experience or even if there are niggles there is prompt resolution, then they have a bright future at hand.

It is important for Tata to get this right so that negative reputations do not develop around their EVs.
Axe77 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 10:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think Tata need to take ownership and drive the EV adoption in India.

Thats the only way to gain MS in the Indian market, to capture maximum share of a growing pie!

Also, I dont think anyone other than the Tata group has the far-sightedness to drive a transformation like this. Their Passenger vehicle transformation was slow and painful, but the company never made a knee jerk reaction!
2000rpm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 17:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have been seeing this blue shade of EV Nexon for quite some time now and the green number plates grabs eyeballs like none other. This has sold in quite some good number in my home town and Also the motor vehicle department have some white EV Nexons in their fleet.

Kudos to Tata motors for achieving this. At this rate of growth EV market penetration will take place much more sooner than anticipated !
Old 14th January 2021, 21:09   #14
BHPian

Well done Tata, definitely a feather in the cap! The timing couldn't have been correct for them, especially with Hyundai struggling with Kona.

Brother of my friend was in market for a new car and I insisted that they checkout Nexon EV. They loved the car but couldn't commit to the idea of an EV. They already have 4 cars in the family and managing the charging infrastructure would have been easy since they stay in an independent home. Still didn't move ahead and went the Sonet way
scwagh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 23:23   #15
BHPian

Well done TATA Motors.

They should definitely try and bring the Tiago in electric version. I guess they should be able to sell it in 8-10L bracket and if they can achieve a range of 170-200 km on single charge it will sell in great numbers. It can definitely work wonders for new car buyers and those who need a second car for city use.
chhotagujju is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks