Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2021, 11:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Updated MG ZS EV launch on February 8, 2021

MG is all set to launch the 2021 ZS EV on February 8. The ZS EV is likely to receive minor styling changes on the outside, accompanied by new feature additions in the cabin space.

The company has also announced in the past that it has retailed more than 1,000 units of the SUV in India.

Here is the launch invite .

Updated MG ZS EV launch on February 8, 2021-fb_img_16125050968110067.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 5th February 2021 at 11:44.
Venkatesh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 12:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Updated MG ZS EV launch on February 8, 2021

2021 MG ZS EV launched

The 2021 MG ZS EV comes with a 44.5kWh battery, similar to the 2020 model. However, the battery has some updates and the ZS EV now gets an official range of 419km up from 340km.

Updated MG ZS EV launch on February 8, 2021-20210208_124653.jpg

Prices for the 2021 MG ZS EV
EXCITE - Rs 20.99 lakh
EXCLUSIVE - Rs 24.18 lakh

Updated MG ZS EV launch on February 8, 2021-20210208_124708.jpg

The MG ZS EV will now be available in 31 cities across India.

Updated MG ZS EV launch on February 8, 2021-20210208_124701.jpg

Launch Event

Last edited by Venkatesh : 8th February 2021 at 12:51.
Venkatesh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 14:22   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
2021 MG ZS EV launched

The 2021 MG ZS EV comes with a 44.5kWh battery, similar to the 2020 model. However, the battery has some updates and the ZS EV now gets an official range of 419km up from 340km.
Sums up the reason why i don't think its the right time to invest into EVs. This one was a very recent launch if i am not forgetting. It is like those early days of smartphones where you knew that the very next release in 6 months would better the one you have right now but you couldn't wait - because there wasn't any other option. Car manufacturers forget that there is actually an option for the buyer - its the old school fossil.

Just to clarify - not against innovation. But would not want to feel short changed too. That's why my money is on hybrids till BEVs reach the top of the curve, or at least stabilize.
kanishka88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 17:14   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishka88 View Post
Sums up the reason why i don't think its the right time to invest into EVs.. Car manufacturers forget that there is actually an option for the buyer - its the old school fossil.. That's why my money is on hybrids till BEVs reach the top of the curve, or at least stabilize.
The people who are investing in these EV’s are very well aware of the limitations. Of course even now, there is an option to hold on to landphones, only thing is those people are living fossils! And about battery technology or for that matter any technology stabilizing, that will be a pipe dream, science will continue to make progress and in another few decades Lithium battery will be old school, there is no point waiting for that. Human beings have finite life spans, you can’t wait for ever! 300+ kms is enough and more range for 95% of users, the last time I drove 500+ kilometres without a stop was in 2009. I’m sure with proper planning one can still do 500 kms with MG ZS EV.
The Rationalist is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 17:51   #5
BHPian

I doubt that the battery has gone through any update, given no other region (even China) has seen a declared revision on the ZS EV/EZS battery. But even if there was an update, such an update to the battery alone without increasing usable capacity can't increase the range.

I think the update is only in the claimed range as the earlier range was a bit pessimistic in comparison to other claimed ranges of Nexon EV or Kona.
Old 8th February 2021, 17:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
The people who are investing in these EV’s are very well aware of the limitations. Of course even now, there is an option to hold on to landphones, only thing is those people are living fossils! And about battery technology or for that matter any technology stabilizing, that will be a pipe dream, science will continue to make progress and in another few decades Lithium battery will be old school, there is no point waiting for that. Human beings have finite life spans, you can’t wait for ever! 300+ kms is enough and more range for 95% of users, the last time I drove 500+ kilometres without a stop was in 2009. I’m sure with proper planning one can still do 500 kms with MG ZS EV.
Well EVs are not being launched only for people who are aware of the limitations. People will jump from fossils to the new technology also, else how will the category expand?
Resonate the thought that we cannot be waiting infinite. But I belong to the group who wouldn't want to be an early adopter for a large investment where technology is expanding really fast. Also, you need to look at how fast a category or business is expanding to judge whether your wait for the peak of the curve is going to be infinite or manageable. This is a rapidly expanding industry and the top / flatenning of the curve won't be far enough.

To your point on what's an acceptable range: Well, for now 300+ would be fine for 95% of the users. Reduce the current petrol pump spread by 95% and ask this question again. Battery anxiety is a real thing and happens to real people and you learn to live with it. But is it the only option?

Again, not against BEVs but we are not there yet IMO (atleast I am not )

Last edited by kanishka88 : 8th February 2021 at 17:59.
Old 8th February 2021, 22:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
300+ kms is enough and more range for 95% of users, the last time I drove 500+ kilometres without a stop was in 2009. I’m sure with proper planning one can still do 500 kms with MG ZS EV.
It's not the range that's worrying , it's the lack of charging options. Not all trips and one day trips. For those who do overnight travel, how many hotels currently provide a charging port at your parking area.less than 10% percent I suppose . That also reduces your option to check into hotels of your choice or budget. And if your trip is to any remote areas, it's going to be more bothersome. My next car would most probably be an electric, but that would be atleast 5 years from now when is it expected that fast chargers would be available in plenty. Till then BEV are for people with a second car that runs on fossil fuel and use the EV for city runs and intra day runs of 300 kms.

On another note, why don't the manufacturers come up with a similar battery pack for all cars that can be replaced at charging stations or redesigned petrol bunks. Swipe out the drained one, swipe in the charged one. Pay the charging cost to the station. I am sure it will take away almost all the worries of owning a BEV.
Old 8th February 2021, 23:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
Till then BEV are for people with a second car that runs on fossil fuel and use the EV for city runs and intra day runs of 300 kms.

On another note, why don't the manufacturers come up with a similar battery pack for all cars that can be replaced at charging stations or redesigned petrol bunks. Swipe out the drained one, swipe in the charged one. Pay the charging cost to the station. I am sure it will take away almost all the worries of owning a BEV.
Agree with you, for now in India we are at early adopters stage. We need to give some time to have infrastructure built, like some say "Rome is not built in a day".

Swapping might work for brand specific use cases like what NIO was doing in china. But again these stations may need to be upgraded to include batteries of their upcoming car with 150kwh battery. If you need to implement across different brands and different class of vehicles the problem is immense.

Say one entry level EV wants 120V 20 kWh battery without liquid cooling, 2nd EV wants 120V 20kwh with LC, 3rd EV wants 250 V 30kwh without LC, 4th wants 250V 30kwh with LC, sports cars want 800V systems etc. How big a battery swap station needed to be to incorporate all these battery flavours, ever swap requires opening and joining the cooling lines. The same Charging infrastructure works for all EVs from entry level to luxury level.

For 2 and 3 wheelers battery swapping works because there is no cooling lines and in many cases no cooling at all and with small batteries.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 8th February 2021 at 23:19.
SKC-auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 09:12   #9
BHPian

From what I hear with people I talk, they might love to switch to EV.

But they have two hindrances in their mind.

1. High investment cost for a technology which is a depreciating one.
2. Range anxiety.

The reasons which they say they want to switch to EV are following.
1. Near silent experience.
2. Low maintenance cost.
3. Relatively longer life span of the vehicle.

Few of my friends have specific use case scenarios which none of the "affordable" under the ₹25L EVs have, which is the dual motor. They don't need a sophisticated all-wheel-drive system, but a car which can help them navigate slushy terrains during the rainy season and slippery surface during the summer season.

So I guess regardless of MG comes with frequent model updates or multiple new models show up, as long as the charging infrastructure, especially in hill stations or in highways is not good or the cost not being under ₹15L, investing in EV is a hard decision.
Old 9th February 2021, 11:48   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of questions as I ponder over replacing our 12 year old Altis for this:

1.Does MG yet provide/install the charger for every buyer at their house?

2.MH govt charges no road tax on EV's I believe however is there any FAME sort of subsidy that come by way of rebate or cash discount on the car from the state or central govt? Or is the ex-showroom price mentioned here the on road price for MH?

3. A 3.18L price diff for mainly just panoramic sunroof and art leather seats seems pretty steep, is it really worth getting the higher model?

4. Running cost mentioned in the video is Rs.1 per km, is this true or what would the actual real life cost be?

5. Likewise, what would the real life range be if the claimed one is 419km? We won't be using this car on the high much or at all, it will be used for running errands within the city. Several short distance trips below 5-10kms

6. What other EVs are launching this year below the 30L price range?
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 12:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

MG Motor India President and CEO Rajeev Chaba confirmed the ZS EV will receive another upgrade by next year that is expected to improve range to around 500Km.

Updated MG ZS EV launch on February 8, 2021-smartselect_20210209121359_chrome.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 12:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Answers are inline in bold.

Couple of questions as I ponder over replacing our 12 year old Altis for this:

1.Does MG yet provide/install the charger for every buyer at their house?
Yes, MG installs a AC charger at each buyer's house. The price is included in the car price. If one wishes to install one more AC charger at their work/other location, MG will charge about 75K for the second charger

2.MH govt charges no road tax on EV's I believe however is there any FAME sort of subsidy that come by way of rebate or cash discount on the car from the state or central govt? Or is the ex-showroom price mentioned here the on road price for MH?
There is no road tax on EVs in Maharastra. Also FAME scheme is applicable only for commercial EVs

3. A 3.18L price diff for mainly just panoramic sunroof and art leather seats seems pretty steep, is it really worth getting the higher model?
The lower variant has the bells and whistles to satisfy a customer. Go for a higher variant only if fancy sunroof, auto headlamps, power drivers seat, leather seats are important. Rest all remains the same

4. Running cost mentioned in the video is Rs.1 per km, is this true or what would the actual real life cost be?
Per Km cost varies on where you charge often. If you use home charger exclusively then costs are around Rs.1/Km. Costs on fast charger network can be as high as Rs. 3/KM

5. Likewise, what would the real life range be if the claimed one is 419km? We won't be using this car on the high much or at all, it will be used for running errands within the city. Several short distance trips below 5-10kms
Realistic range will depend on the driving style. 300-320Kms is easily achieved. If driven carefully, 400Kms can be achieved.
EVs are best suited if used regularly. Short errands do not affect range much

6. What other EVs are launching this year below the 30L price range?
As of now Mahindra e-XUV300 and Altroz EV is slated for launch this year

MG ZS EV has some shortcomings, the rear seat is not very comfortable and the under thigh is next to nothing. Rattles have started to creep in quite early in many cars. Ride is on the firmer side.

Last edited by Eddy : 10th February 2021 at 11:16. Reason: Please do not reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers.
speedmiester is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 13:00   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks! Appreciate the detailed reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
MG ZS EV has some shortcomings, the rear seat is not very comfortable and the under thigh is next to nothing. Rattles have started to creep in quite early in many cars. Ride is on the firmer side.
This is a big bummer. My main scepticism is that this is at the end of the day a Chinese product and their quality is not the best.

How long does it take to charge the battery to 100% with the charger that MG installs for customers at home?

Lastly, does anyone know if the 2020 version is going at a discount now?
Old 9th February 2021, 13:05   #14
BHPian

I am very eager to know if they have really made any changes to the Battery tech as stated in the video or it's just a gimmick to match upto Konas range. They didn't even give a detailed view on the same
Old 9th February 2021, 13:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashcosmos View Post
I am very eager to know if they have really made any changes to the Battery tech as stated in the video or it's just a gimmick to match upto Konas range. They didn't even give a detailed view on the same
Saying that range has increased by new technology of battery with same usable capacity and without changing anything to the drietrain is equal to saying the design/construction of a fuel tank has changed without changing the capacity and this has led to increase in range.

The car already did 400km is sedate city driving. They just updated the claim to match this.

Most Viewed