Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2021, 11:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Delhi: Incentives suspended on the Tata Nexon EV

It would have made so much more sense if the investigation is carried out first and then a suitable action taken. I do not get the logic of taking the action first and then investigating at leisure.

As it appears from the sample size of complaints, the suspension will be overturned sooner or later. However, this dents the credibility of Nexon for no fault of theirs.
Bhargav7 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 11:35   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

This might be venturing into conspiracy theory areas but could there be any linkage with the budget based plan of the government to replace all its' vehicles with EV purchases? Given there are only 3 players - Tata, Hyundai and MG, offering decent EV options in the market, could this be an area of reason for this dirt throwing event?
ninjatalli is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 11:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
The reason for this step is the government is paying out a subsidy per EV car to the manufacturer.

In the case of petrol cars the government doesn’t provide any subsidy so there is no financial loss to the government if the car does not meet the specified FE.

If the government does not take action, the officers involved could be held accountable and maybe even seen to be hand in glove for not investigating complaints that involve government payouts. That’s probably why it has been “suspended” till further checks are carried out.

If the checks confirm all is okay, the lost subsidy would be paid back / can be claimed by the manufacturer.

These are the usual bureaucratic issues when you receive money from the government in the form of subsidies in any business.
Delhi transport department does not pay a penny to Tata Motors. It's waivers of road tax and 1.5 lakh incentive for first 1000 cars is purely for the customers. With this ban, effectively there is only one car which will reap all the benefits, MG. With the Kona recall and issues, I am sure the sales will be low for it, even wrt EVs. The right way to deal with this is in the consumer court, as the order also clearly says it is a possibility that the problem is with this one car and not the model. Also, how can you quote a social media post by some unknown person and call him a man of repute to strengthen your arguments! This is just overreach and as usual troubling industries and companies. Finally even if the complaint is axed, and it is business as usual, who pays for the reputation hit? The overzealous, dimwitted babu will just go scot free!!!
Raghuwire is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 11:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

I will go with Delhi Government’s decision. ARAI or no ARAI, Tata’s have their internal range testing procedures in place, and they know it better then anyone else as to what is the real-world performance of the car.
One needs to understand that range anxiety is one of the principal reasons for relatively low offtake of BeV, for any IC engine (barring CNG), one can always be driving within a short period of time if the tank is empty (find a bunk or borrow from another commuter on the road), which is not the case of BeV as of now.
The owners would have raised the range issue with dealer, in absence of proper resolution it has been escalated. If lemons are possible after stabilisation of all kinds of IC technologies, why it is not possible in case of BeV?
Trust cannot be bought and Tata’s should be proactive with all new launches.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 12:03   #20
BHPian

Unable to understand the logic and motivation here

ARAI's accuracy?
State Govt. needs more Taxes from people?
Manufacturer's product quality audit?
Manufacturer's product promise audit?
RTI being enforced?
Slow down the sale due to lack of infra?
BNG-motorhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 12:18   #21
BHPian

Atleast someone has started questioning the credibility of ARAI certified range. This is in a good direction if it gets escalated to a higher level. That way, Either ARAI will change its certification methods to provide realistic ranges or Manufacturers will stop advertising/claiming ARAI figures for its range. Both are good for prospective consumers.
Old 2nd March 2021, 13:21   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
Delhi transport department does not pay a penny to Tata Motors. It's waivers of road tax and 1.5 lakh incentive for first 1000 cars is purely for the customers. With this ban, effectively there is only one car which will reap all the benefits, MG.
MG ZS EV and Kona were never had the 1.5 lakh subsidy. Also, Nexon EV XZ+ LUX doesn't qualify for the subsidy. Only the Nexon EV XZ+ or below received the 1.5 lakh subsidy.

As far as I am aware, only the subsidy has been removed, the road tax exemption is still in place. Correct me if I am wrong on this.
flanker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 13:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

What if the owner of the car inflated his tyres at a sub-optimal level ? What if he continuously used AC ? Is the manufacturer liable even if the owner basically abuses the car and expects the stated range? And what about the commercial vehicles ranging from city pickups to trailer lorries? What about their promised performance ? On the Baner-Sus section of the Pune-BLR bypass, most trucks go up a fairly gentle incline groaning and moaning, often stalling and causing traffic snarls. This action by the Delhi Govt is therefore setting a new precedent indeed. As GTO said, half of India's vehicles would be "Locked down" and we would once again hear mynahs chirping and foxes roaming on the streets.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 2nd March 2021 at 13:37.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 13:51   #24
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
Purely from the perspective of Goa, it may not be that different. You can cover the breadth and length of Goa with Nexon range, and even a few bordering areas. Secondly, the OP was already planning to buy a Nexon. Also, MG looks very boring and dated from the sides and rear, has bad rear seat comfort, missing rear air con vents. The last is a big deal breaker considering Goa weather. So, it may not be as superior as you are considering it to be, given the situation.
So by your logic, a person living in Delhi should only require a range of around 50kms as you could cover the length and breadth of the state? The same person is now considering the MG. Rear AC vents are good but a relatively minor detail. How are most drivers managing without them in Goa or even in Delhi where it can touch 48C? There can be no argument that the MG is a far superior vehicle. It has 50% more range. It is bigger. It is much safer with 6 airbags, ESC, proper park feature on the gearbox, TPMS and cruise control. It also has adjustable regeneration levels. I don’t know why you are refusing to accept the obvious. Sure, you can argue that the Nexon is cheaper but if you can afford it, the MG is far superior.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 13:53   #25
BHPian

Well I am not sure if this was already discussed, but the range of an EV drops significantly when it gets cold. If these complaints were logged with references to range in the winter (or colder) months, I would expect the range to fall almost certainly. There is much to do in terms of awareness of the end used of electric cars.
NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 14:14   #26
BHPian

And here we were naively thinking that the ICE manufacturers are not thinking about EV. They surely are thinking, not how to join the change but stop it. If its a handi work of rival EV manufacturers, then its fair to say they will pay for it in the long run. This negative press is only going to tarnish the image of EV among common folk.

It would have been great to see the Judiciary fast track and take such stern actions against genuine cases.
mac187 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 15:15   #27
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
So by your logic, a person living in Delhi should only require a range of around 50kms as you could cover the length and breadth of the state? The same person is now considering the MG. Rear AC vents are good but a relatively minor detail. How are most drivers managing without them in Goa or even in Delhi where it can touch 48C? There can be no argument that the MG is a far superior vehicle. It has 50% more range. It is bigger. It is much safer with 6 airbags, ESC, proper park feature on the gearbox, TPMS and cruise control. It also has adjustable regeneration levels. I don’t know why you are refusing to accept the obvious. Sure, you can argue that the Nexon is cheaper but if you can afford it, the MG is far superior.
Wow, we are taking the post way out of context! Also the thread had been changed. All I was trying to convey is, maybe in case of OP, it may not have much value. If I have my vehicle chauffeur driven or have passengers, then the rear seat comfort and blower is a very big deal for me, combined with the lack of even a basic center armrest in the MG, it is a deal breaker. Can't expect me to sit feeling hot and stuffy in the back right? Anyway, I don't need to accept it as a superior vehicle if it does not even meet few of my basic requirements. Anyway the original post was meant to be a funny way to think of the wait time, as I have also been waiting for my car for a cool 2 months now. Peace out!

Last edited by Raghuwire : 2nd March 2021 at 15:17. Reason: Grammar
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunate, especially concerning FE/Range claims which are a grey area in their own right.
But this being a high profile case should at least end with a proper investigation and conclusion, will wait for it.

This highlights the need of a revamp in our automotive benchmarking and standards along with institutions like ARAI and others, but apparently something is already happening as mentioned in the video(at 3:55).
Credits to Providers :

Last edited by shancz : 2nd March 2021 at 20:36. Reason: added video mention times
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 21:31   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Very silly to read.

- A few complaints were received from some two owners (the second complaint was based presumably on a tweet by the owner) of Nexon EV's starting from 03.12. 2020, regarding the listed range in technical specifications of the vehicle at 312 kms per charge also certified by the ARAI, not being delivered in reality to the complainants.

- The Delhi government rose immediately and took cognisance of these complaints including the tweet (wonder how they are so extraordinarily prompt here), issuing show cause notices to M/s Tata Motors as to why action should not be taken and the subsidy hitherto being availed by customers not withdrawn ?

- Things move on at the speed of sound at the Delhi government offices since December 2020 (wish they took similarly swift actions on other problematic fronts too) solely aimed at discrediting the EV from Tata Motors.

- M/s Tata Motors submits its reply on 15.02.2021 justifying its stand and contentions of such a range per charge also quoting the ARAI certification.

- Within 10 working days (wef 15.02.2021) a decision is taken to discontinue the subsidy hitherto availed on this EV brand.

If one reads between the lines, it can be easily concluded that its a mala fide exercise of discretionary powers by the concerned authorities. I would not rule out the involvement of vested interests in the whole game of chess here.

We have also seen Tata Nano fires till the car was gaining a small edge over its competition. All the fires have disappeared after the Nano production stopped. Tata Motors needs to wake up and do more investigations into these dubious and dirty games by vested interests.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 2nd March 2021 at 21:33.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 21:41   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
We have also seen Tata Nano fires till the car was gaining a small edge over its competition. All the fires have disappeared after the Nano production stopped. Tata Motors needs to wake up and do more investigations into these dubious and dirty games by vested interests.
It is very apparent that the competitor is using its strong ground to discredit the Nexon EV which has been gaining good ground for some time now. Meanwhile they continue to roll out super efficient hybrid cars.
ashis89 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks