Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2021, 23:08   #31
BHPian

Re: Delhi: Incentives suspended on the Tata Nexon EV

The subsidy for a Nexon EV was a sizeable 1.5 lakhs which is 10% of the vehicle's ex showroom cost. And on top of it with no road tax, the customer benefited by about 3 lakhs over an equivalent ICE vehicle. Clearly someone or some group was getting hurt by this. Nexon EV XM with an incentive was available for 12.5 laks plus insurance, not far from a petrol automatic.
So a sequence of events start, first comes a court case filed about lack of range as promised, and then a viral video on whatsapp where the owner claims just 120km.

The outcome of this, is the end of subsidy in Delhi and a massive credibility hit for the Nexon EV throughout India. Expecting Tata motors to respond in a proper manner with people like Shailesh Chandra heading the PVBU division unlike in the past.

Last edited by damodar : 2nd March 2021 at 23:30.
damodar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 23:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

Delhi govt. and the art of pointless proactive governance.

I hope Tata gets on the front foot and fights this.
shortbread is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 04:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

This is exactly what happens when bureaucrats live in La-La Land, completely out of touch with reality. Also, I hope there is no attempt from rival brands to malign Tata.

If Delhi government (and other local governments) want to raise the bar on which electric vehicle qualifies for the incentives, they should be asking ARAI to upgrade their testing procedures. End of argument, case closed!
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 07:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
This model is wrong- because are we saying the the govt decides the selling price of the EV? The subsidy should be given to the end-customer.
Again, the Nexon EV is not manufactured or assembled in Delhi, so it doesnt make sense from cost perspective too.
If you were to get the 10k, all Tata needs to do is hike the price of Nexon by 10k to transfer that amount from your kitty to theirs.

Last edited by GTO : 9th March 2021 at 06:45. Reason: Please be calm, polite & respectful even in debate. STRICTLY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS or rude posts on Team-BHP
Old 3rd March 2021, 09:48   #35
anb
BHPian

Salary deduction of ARAI officials would be more apt move than removing the subsidy on the EV.
anb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:11   #36
BHPian

This entire range argument is asinine, and easy to get around.

Tata should supply a "kitna deti hai" package to the cribbers.

In this they can dull the power output, so that the motor will never draw more than 30kW.
Plus electronically limit the top speed to 60kmph. I am certain Nexon EV will easily give 250kms+ easily in such a config.(may be even more)

Best part.... it is just a software patch, anyone complains, push this patch OTA. Everytime the car hits that electronically limited 60kmph, the entertainment unit should play "Are you not entertained".
mohanphadnis is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:28   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
The reason for this step is the government is paying out a subsidy per EV car to the manufacturer.
And there is a policy for that which clearly specifies a range of 140 Kms so as long as Nexon gives 140 Kms range on full charge, these jokers are in contradiction to their own policy. You can read it here https://transport.delhi.gov.in/sites...0DEVP-2020.pdf
pkk077 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:33   #38
BHPian

I can see emotions running high in this thread, but I agree with the State's decision on this. It can only help motivate manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkk077 View Post
so as long as Nexon gives 140 Kms range on full chargehttps://transport.delhi.gov.in/sites...0DEVP-2020.pdf
The PDF clearly mentions MINIMUM RANGE of 140kms - not under ideal conditions, not at 40kmph, not with the AC off, not in Eco mode, etc. They want the EV to deliver a range of 140km no matter what the driving style is, I assume. The Nexon probably couldn't manage that.

I recently test drove all 3 EVs. The 2021 facelifted MG ZS EV with its updated battery pack claims a range of 400+kms but the sales exec said they have realistically been getting only 200-230 kms on a full charge. I suspect the Nexon can manage 140kms in this scenario. The ZS didn't cut it for me since it didn't have an auto dimming rear view mirror or ventilated front seats or auto fold mirrors (basic requirements these days when you spend 15+ lakhs)
hortons15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:42   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Feb 25th 2021: Delhi government announces that it will change its fleet of hired cars to electric vehicles (EVs) within the next six months under a new campaign - Switch Delhi - to spread awareness about the subsidies provided by the city administration on EVs.
Mar 01st 2021: Delhi Government Delists Nexon EV from the list of eligible category of vehicles for grant of purchase incentives.

I'll anticipate the next steps:
Under Switch Delhi campaign, A big EV purchase order is issued by the Government to an EV manufacturer.
This order against Nexon EV is taken back stating that Tata is not at fault for the Low range

Get the Chrolonogy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I am surprised why we are supporting the manufacturer who has given false information about the mileage with a huge difference between claimed and actual, and selling the cars?
Tata is not "Claiming" any Range. They are advertising the ARAI tested Range. If the actual tested range is different, wither the ARAI has to check their test procedure or the user has to drive as per ARAI test specifications. The Manufacturer as to be penalised only if they are proved to be cheating during the ARAI tests -Something like VW Dieselgate.

Quote:
There is a complaint from user and government was giving subsidies till then, now they have withdrawn subsidies.
There was a complaint by users ok.
If the Manufacturer is at fault and it's customer is cheated, he should be served justice and the manufacturer should be penalised. The Government should not give subsidy. Very good intention.
If that was the only intention, the order should state that the customer will still get the subsidy but the manufacturer will have to bear this amount and Government will not pay the manufacturer.
But here the Customer who complained in the first place is not getting any solution and future buyers are being penalised. The manufacturer will still get the same money for whatever he sells and further they may sell less due to this order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortons15 View Post
The PDF clearly mentions MINIMUM RANGE of 140kms - not under ideal conditions, not at 40kmph, not with the AC off, not in Eco mode, etc. They want the EV to deliver a range of 140km no matter what the driving style is, I assume. The Nexon probably couldn't manage that
This should have been proven when the car was homologated right? I will assume yes because it was in the list (prepared by the Government) of vehicles eligible for the subsidy.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 3rd March 2021 at 12:49.
hemanth.anand is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 13:10   #40

I guess, they didn't see this EV selling so well.
martinantony009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 13:17   #41
srh
BHPian

Someone is just armtwisting the transport department for more election funding.....

A deal will soon be hammered out with the manufacturer/ dealers and we will return back to normalcy soon
srh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 13:23   #42
BHPian

I don't know how to react to this news as there are 2 sides to it. From a customer point of view, this may look like the Nexon EV is not a reliable car for long-distance travel or something which offers a poor range even within the city. Thus the government is delisting it from the subsidy category. In other words, the government is telling you not to waste your money on the Nexon EV. So many customers will be saved.

On the other side, the range offered is subjected to various factors as all of us know. But not necessarily the general public has an awareness about that. The culprit to blame shall be the government approved bodies who tested or accepted these mileage/range claims. These figures must be given after testing the vehicle on normal driving conditions.

In fact, I always felt like instead of giving exaggerated mileage/range claims, all automobiles shall give the worst and the best mileage/range figures that they must achieve under normal city and highway conditions. That will make more sense.

The ultimate fact here is, this news may have an impact on many potential buyers of the Nexon EV. As TATA was progressing substantially, this might be a blow to their credibility in the EV segment. But I believe that would be temporary.

This could also be the end results of some direct/indirect lobbying. Also, we shall not forget that a lot of authorities who make the laws/rules, might not even have basic technical knowledge about the subject concerned. Various subject matter experts advise are always needed prior to making such decisions.

Last edited by igemini : 3rd March 2021 at 13:27.
igemini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:02   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkk077 View Post
And there is a policy for that which clearly specifies a range of 140 Kms so as long as Nexon gives 140 Kms range on full charge, these jokers are in contradiction to their own policy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortons15 View Post

The PDF clearly mentions MINIMUM RANGE of 140kms - not under ideal conditions, not at 40kmph, not with the AC off, not in Eco mode, etc. They want the EV to deliver a range of 140km no matter what the driving style is, I assume. The Nexon probably couldn't manage that.
Nexon EV can do 140kms easily. The second rule says efficiency of 15kwh/100km, to achieve this with a 30kwh battery pack Nexon should achieve a minimum range of 200km, that is where the problem starts. As Hemanth mentioned these should have been taken care of during the homologation process.

Delhi: Incentives suspended on the Tata Nexon EV-screenshot_20210303_1405492.jpg

Last edited by SKC-auto : 3rd March 2021 at 14:08.
SKC-auto is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:46   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Nexon EV can do 140kms easily. The second rule says efficiency of 15kwh/100km
Attachment 2128097
I love an objective discussion! Based on the guideline, the cars must achieve:

1. Nexon - 140 kms range, and efficiency < 15 kWh for 100 kms since it's a sub 4m car
2. ZS EV - 140 kms range, and efficiency < 20 kWh for 100 kms as it's in the > 4m category.

Now, I managed to pull some data off a Youtube video by some Delhi EV enthusiasts.

Looking at the efficiency of both vehicles in the initial 50km range test, the Nexon manages 12.3 kWh for 100kms while the ZS EV uses 10.3 kWh for 100kms [reported by their respective MIDs]. See screenshots attached - taken from the video. I'd say there's not too much of a difference in their efficiency figures considering it's not a very standardized test. But the consumption would be pretty high (almost double I'm thinking) if you floor it or drive it like you're setting a track lap time. The ZS EV would have some more leeway here considering it's a >4m car and can use up to 20kWh/100kms according to the guidelines.

If there's something that I've missed, I'd love to be corrected. Let's put some trust in the system before we shout conspiracy!
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi: Incentives suspended on the Tata Nexon EV-nexon-consumption.jpg  

Delhi: Incentives suspended on the Tata Nexon EV-mg-consumption.jpg  

Last edited by hortons15 : 3rd March 2021 at 14:50. Reason: Added an extra point
hortons15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:52   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Feb 25th 2021: Delhi government announces that it will change its fleet of hired cars to electric vehicles (EVs) within the next six months under a new campaign - Switch Delhi - to spread awareness about the subsidies provided by the city administration on EVs.
Mar 01st 2021: Delhi Government Delists Nexon EV from the list of eligible category of vehicles for grant of purchase incentives.

I'll anticipate the next steps:
Under Switch Delhi campaign, A big EV purchase order is issued by the Government to an EV manufacturer.
This order against Nexon EV is taken back stating that Tata is not at fault for the Low range

Get the Chrolonogy!!
If there is any truth in this, its simply the worst form of sarkaari bullying!

This is the price TML pays for creating an affordable home grown EV for an absolutely miniscule market. There is no way this half baked attempt by the Delhi govt. will hold up in court.
shortbread is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks