Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2024, 20:21   #31
BANNED

Re: China: The road to electric is filled with tiny cars

To be honest the Kei type of cars won't make it a success in India as cars is an aspirational thing. Besides the government is hell bent on taxing them like luxury goods. The only way for small cars to succeed will be if government decides to give tax cuts to cars below say <3.5 or 3 metres. But with cars going electric, that may not make a difference as taxation is already low on EV's.

An electric autorickshaw costs around ₹4 lakh, so any reasonable EV car would cost upwards of ₹7 lakh which is too close to Tiago EV, a sure shot recipe for failure. I don't think we will ever see very small cars on our roads. The reason why such cars sell in China is because the car buying population is too big when compared to India and the base of the pyramid are the one's buying these small EV's, means those who are the least affordable class. If India ever grows that big, maybe it will happen here.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 08:19   #32
BHPian

Re: China: The road to electric is filled with tiny cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
Just read this (factually correct) comment, only to realise my apprehensions to be realistic regards a micro-EV.

Punch.ev may be a fabulous car (and kudos to Tata for putting together a drool-worthy package, prices not withstanding), but it would have this unforseen, unintended consequence of killing this segment of micro- cars (again, after Nano and Reva).
...And I'm pretty sad to be proven right, so soon!
"MG Comet sees no production days since June 2023 as monthly sales also could not pick up"
https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le67968893.ece

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks