Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2021, 15:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

EV owners switching back to IC engine cars due to the inconvenience of charging

The University of California, Davis has recently conducted a new study which shows that 1 in every 5 electric vehicle owners are switching back to conventional IC-engine powered cars.

EV owners switching back to IC engine cars due to the inconvenience of charging-download.jpg

Reports suggest that one of the main reasons for this is the inconvenience faced while charging the batteries of electric vehicles. The time required in filling up a vehicle with a full tank of fuel is significantly less compared to charging the batteries of an EV.

EV owners switching back to IC engine cars due to the inconvenience of charging-tesla1.jpg

According to the study, a standard home-charging unit (Level 1) in California puts out 120-volts, while a fast-charger (Level 2) offers 240-volts of power. However, the study showed that over 70 per cent of EV owners in the survey lacked access to a level 2 home charger.

EV owners switching back to IC engine cars due to the inconvenience of charging-konaev.jpg

The study also mentioned that two-thirds of the EV owners participating in the survey confirmed they didn't use public charging stations.

EV owners switching back to IC engine cars due to the inconvenience of charging-teslamodel3-1.jpg

The researchers mentioned in their study that although EVs have come a long way in terms of safety, tech and comfort; the process of recharging, however, has mostly remained the same. They also stated that if this trend continues, it will result in a slow PEV market growth, making 100% EV adoption more difficult.

Source: Business Insider

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 3rd May 2021 at 15:33.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (43) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 15:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: EV owners switching back to IC engine cars due to the inconvenience of charging

This is the reason why I think EVs are a stop gap measure before shifting eventually to hydrogen cell powered cars. It's glaringly obvious batteries can't match the energy density of fossil fuels at any given cost.

Range anxiety will eventually be sorted I am quite sure, but then the issue of mining which is an extremely polluting activity for these batteries will come up. All in all, I see EVs dominating for another 20-25 years before hydrogen cell becomes mainstream and takes over unlike IC engines, which lasted more than a century easily.

Goes to prove how the innovation curve is getting steeper with the times.

Last edited by vishy76 : 3rd May 2021 at 15:38.
vishy76 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 15:43   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: EV owners switching back to IC engine cars due to the inconvenience of charging

Interesting study. All the more reason I feel that any automotive policy should not put everything in a single bucket like trying to / claiming to try to move exclusively to EVs. Its just not practicable.

Just as our electricity needs are met through various sources, coal, wind, solar, hydro, etc. different technologies should be encouraged such as EV as well as hybrid, CNG etc.

If they can get a fair share of converts to proper hybrids and EVs by promoting both technologies that is equally a significant step towards cleaning up our roads. Finally, they must realise that most meaningful change only comes with a world class public transport system which for most part the government has failed to provide.

Finally lets also not lose sight of the fact that EVs have their own carbon footprint, just in a different way. Whether that is mining related, battery generated waste, the pollution associated with consuming electricity per se (which is sourced largely from conventional power sources) etc etc.

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd May 2021 at 15:44.
Axe77 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 16:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

I'm one of those that's on the fence. I can't commit to full electric yet and will choose to go for a PHEV with sufficient range for daily driving which, in my case, is around 50 kms.
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 16:24   #5
BHPian

Interesting Study. I believe this holds more true for someone who has EV as his/her primary source of personal transport. In India, most of the EV owners use it as a secondary car along with ICE as their primary car.
However, as rightly said by Axe77, the government should not focus solely on EVs but on a mix of Hybrids/EVs/CNG vehicles along with ensuring a robust public transport system.
Dhillon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 16:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

I bet most of those who switched back to gasoline cars were probably not Tesla owners ! Or those who had EV vehicles with short ranges ! This survey is from 2012-2018 which was still a developing phase and still is for EVs. It is quite clear that EVs are not practical for folks in apartments (without chargers) and long range users. That being said, EVs are the future, with many main stream makers having taken the pledge to go fully electric within the next 2 decades. I believe for now a Hybrid version will work well till EVs go mainstream while another option is where there are more than one car in the garage.

Another point to be noted is that EVs wont work for everyone. Requires planning and commitment to plug in the car before hitting the bed. Unlike grabbing coffee or breakfast on the way to work, one cant stop to charge the car in the morning !

However a more recent survey by JD power, Electric Vehicle Experience (EVX) Ownership Study shows that vast majority of EV owners are not even considering going back to gasoline cars.

Last edited by TrackDay : 3rd May 2021 at 16:58.
TrackDay is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 17:32   #7
BANNED

Welcome back to the right side. We petrolheads forgive you.
turbo is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 17:49   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The shift by EV owners back to ICE vehicles appears to be quite practical and it looks like this is a paradigm shift, preferring the conventional more than the unconventional.

Home charging will be most preferred option during these pandemic times and even much later. Public recharging stations could remain popular, but mostly for long distance travellers.

The ultra-fast chargers at homes or in public places are still a far cry for the average EV user.

The main takeaway from the revelations are that no-one would like to face undue and unwanted hassles, when easier options are available.

Hence, until the recharging evolves over the years into something that is equally hassle-free just like fossil fuel refilling, the presently available recharging technology could take its toll on the EV's popularity and sales.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd May 2021 at 17:54.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:00   #9
BHPian

This survey is a perfect example of why Tesla has been so hugely successful with their cars. They've got almost all of the things right. Be it charging infrastructure, efficiency of the cars, software upgrade capabilities and just overall attitude of the company towards it's customers. There are barely any Tesla owners who want to go back to internal combustion cars. In fact 97% of Tesla owners participated in the survey said they'd buy a Tesla again.

Linking the survey of Tesla Model 3 done by Bloomberg.
ADI7YAK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

1 out of every 5 electric vehicle owner is switching back to IC vehicles. If i change headline, it would say 80% of electric car buyers are sticking with their cars, i think for a new and massively different tech, this is a very good percentage.
Rahulkool is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 19:12   #11
BHPian

One possible reason is that fuel prices in the US are very affordable. The same would not happen in India. Urban commuters would be more than satisfied with the money saved on fuel. Once charging stations are abundant like petrol stations, there would be a lot of EV customers.
Benoit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 20:20   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
This is the reason why I think EVs are a stop gap measure before shifting eventually to hydrogen cell powered cars. It's glaringly obvious batteries can't match the energy density of fossil fuels at any given cost.

Range anxiety will eventually be sorted I am quite sure, but then the issue of mining which is an extremely polluting activity for these batteries will come up. All in all, I see EVs dominating for another 20-25 years before hydrogen cell becomes mainstream and takes over unlike IC engines, which lasted more than a century easily.

Goes to prove how the innovation curve is getting steeper with the times.
I don't even know where to begin on how wrong these above statements are. First let's get this out of the way, hydrogen is :

1. Exorbitant to produce in terms of cost and carbin footprint (grey hydrogen is dependent on fossil fuels and blue hydrogen requires electrolysis which takes grid electricity which could have powered an ev directly and makes hydrogen, hence a less efficient method)

2. To transport hydrogen and its storage need infrastructure just like the oil it replaces, where as electricity has the option of being produced on site (as in solar panels)

3. Hydrogen is extremely flammable ( remember zepplin) and now we know that one of most safest vehicles are electric cars with low roll over risk.

4. Hydrogen vehicles are about 60-65% efficient ( you can fact check this) where as ev's are 90%.

5. The batteries can be re-used as grid storage units or recycled for the lithium

Now don't get me wrong, hydrogen does have a place. It would be great for long distance hauling like in busses, trucks and ships which are the dirtiest sources of pollution.
Nikhildrao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 22:11   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting trend! Of course, the Americans, the greatest nation in the world as they like to see them, still has the world worse home electrical power. I mean 110-120VAC! Not many countries still running 110/120VAC.

Regardless, your home electrical power is a factor. Here in the Netherlands everybody has 220VAC/50Hz. Most home have a 20 or 25Amp connection, one or three phase.

Still, if you want to charge your typical EV overnight, it means that almost every single homeowner will need to upgrade their electrical connection. Apart from the cost of the actual upgrade, it also means you monthly fixed charge will go up considerable. Could be as much as Euro 700-1200 per year extra, for the privilege of charging extra. That is a fixed cost, that does not include the cost for the actual charging. You are charged here for the type of electrical connection. The higher rating, the higher fixed monthly cost.

I have yet to see that included in the various EV cost calculations compared to IC-cars. It is very much a hidden cost, but it is real and substantial.

Cant be fixed with solar panels.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 23:22   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

I have yet to see that included in the various EV cost calculations compared to IC-cars. It is very much a hidden cost, but it is real and substantial.

Cant be fixed with solar panels.

Jeroen
Not just that. Insurance is another factor. All of my friends who has gotten an EV is paying $40-$50 more in insurance than what they would have paid if had gone the IC route.

For some reason it takes more to insure an EV.

That is more than the gas savings minus electrical cost. Overall, they end up paying more per month along with the hassle of putting the car on charge every night.
Pontiac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 23:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Still, if you want to charge your typical EV overnight, it means that almost every single homeowner will need to upgrade their electrical connection.
It depends entirely on the usage pattern, doesn't it? If your typical daily commute is about 50km, most modern EVs would need about 10-15kW to cover the distance. So overnight one needs to charge only this amount to get back to 100%. If one charges for 10h overnight, even a 1.8kW charging point would usually suffice (assuming no possibility to charge at office).

If your daily commute is so long that you need to fully recharge the EV every night, then you are probably better off with an ICE car.
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed