Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2021, 17:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tesla accused of environmental rule violations in 2 countries

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has accused Tesla of violating environmental rules and regulations. According to media reports, EPA stated that the car maker failed to prove that it complies with the federal emission standard for hazardous air pollutants.

Tesla accused of environmental rule violations in 2 countries-tesla1.jpg

However, being an electric vehicle these have nothing to do with exhaust emissions. The EPA is seeking details specifically about the way Tesla handles 'surface coatings' on its vehicles.

Tesla accused of environmental rule violations in 2 countries-teslamodel3-1.jpg

There have been earlier reports of problems in the paint shop of Tesla's factory in Fremont, California. This includes instances of re-touching being done at a 'paint hospital' at the same facility, back in 2019.

Tesla accused of environmental rule violations in 2 countries-teslamodel3.jpg

In Germany, the company is said to have been fined 12 million euros for allegedly failing to take back old batteries from customers. According to the country's law, EV manufacturers are required to take back the batteries and dispose them in an environmentally sustainable manner.

Tesla has, however, refuted all allegations and is said to have responded to all information requests as well.

Source: CNBC

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 01:59   #2
BHPian

Re: Tesla accused of environmental rule violations in 2 countries

Though I'm not a Tesla fanboy, in the case of US I strongly smell lobbying by IC Engine car Manufacturers playing spoilsport.

The case in Germany might be legitimate as recycling of used EV batteries is a long lingering question that should be answered soon by Tesla. As far as i know, removing or reinstalling batteries in Tesla cars is not an easy job & I doubt Tesla will seldom invest time & money on removing batteries from cars for recycling.

Anyway let us see how Tesla Motors deals with this issue. Hope people against EVs who profoundly highlight the ethical sourcing & disposal of Lithium would get an answer soon.
G V Krishna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 12:35   #3
BHPian

Re: Tesla accused of environmental rule violations in 2 countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by G V Krishna View Post
As far as i know, removing or reinstalling batteries in Tesla cars is not an easy job & I doubt Tesla will seldom invest time & money on removing batteries from cars for recycling.
So true. Tesla former CTO, who was there since the beginning of Tesla, quit to start another company only to focus on the recycling of litium ion batteries. He has quite a few proof of concepts though at this point he is figuring out how to scale the operations.

Hope he is succussful in doing that and the EV ecosystem is complete.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks