Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2021, 01:21   #46
BHPian

Re: Is it time to buy an Electric Vehicle?

As a second car for the city commute, i would love to get an EV.

My requirements

1. Preferably < 10l and small sized for city commute.
2. Charging station in Apartment Complex and/or workplace.

Today both of these are not met. Hopefully, some time in the future.
Old 14th July 2021, 13:41   #47
BHPian

In my opinion - Electric car adoption is still 5 years away atleast. Charging infrastructure, standardization of infrastructure (types of chargers used) and cost of EV are major hindrances.
When we go to Europe now - I see atleast 3-5 charging + parking spots in local Aldi for Electric car. It is common to see dedicated overnight roadside parkings + paid charging station.
Till the time - we have such infra - it is going to be very difficult for EV to be mainstream.
Old 14th July 2021, 14:30   #48
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I feel there are two key criteria to be met for EV to become mainstream
1. Cost should the similar ( slightly more ) than the ICE counterparts - for every segment.
2. The charging times should be similar to the current fuels or need to develop light weight swappable batteries. Alternative is mileage around 800-1000 kms.

But what I see that the car makers are tagging the EV as luxury/niche segement and working on higher powered cars with a glass cieling on mileage. Why have a car which travels at 200kmph, 0 to 100 in 5 secs but a mileage of 200kms?

I would rather like to see a car with a max speed of 100 kmph, 0-100 in 12 secs and mileage of 800 kms. That gives me an option for less charging in cities and having good charging stations during long drives.
m8002? is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 15:52   #49
BHPian

I see that a lot of people keep waiting for the day when they can charge electric cars as quickly as they would refuel a car - but let me turn that around and ask if they can ever refuel their ICE cars at home The issue is that we are tuned to the ICE way of handling things, while we need to actually shake off the ICE baggage and think fresh!

Of course people who go city hopping frequently cannot still switch over to EVs as easily, but I am sure they are not the majority. I would say the bigger problem even for those who travel only within the city is the availability of dedicated safe parking space where they could setup their home charging infrastructure.

Bottom line is that a lot of people in India can already switch over to EVs (can even afford the cost), but aren't doing so because of economic reasons - but please note that if you have a budget of over 20 lakh, and don't drive out of this city as much, your excuse to still go with ICE is a costly mistake that goes beyond simple economics!!
kartikthum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 16:25   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikthum View Post
Bottom line is that a lot of people in India can already switch over to EVs (can even afford the cost)...but please note that if you have a budget of over 20 lakh...
Sorry, have to point out the contradiction- most people in India simply don't have a budget of 20L for a car! (I won't spend 20L on a car either!) Perhaps on forums like this the numbers are better, but even then the number of sub 10L-car sales vs 10L+ car sales will show that that statement doesn't hold.

Quote:
I would say the bigger problem even for those who travel only within the city is the availability of dedicated safe parking space where they could setup their home charging infrastructure.
Agree completely, just look at at the number of cars parked on the roads. In some localities in Bangalore, the majority of people don't have parking space. So where will they charge a car?

Quote:
The issue is that we are tuned to the ICE way of handling things, while we need to actually shake off the ICE baggage and think fresh!
I'm an EV-hopeful. Will be awesome to get rid of the pollution in our cities, that's enough of a win for me (even if the questions remain about whether overall an EV is less polluting, considering the source of electricity generation, but that's another topic). I'm really hoping my next car will be an EV, and am already going to go for an EV to replace my commuter bike.

But I think that till EVs offer a similar ownership experience at approximately (at least) price point, widespread adoption will be tough. I think we're a lot closer to reaching that with 2-wheeler EVs rather than cars. For cars, exponentially fast charging and far more widespread charging stations are a must first (IMHO).
Old 6th August 2021, 15:43   #51
BHPian

ICEs VS EVs : A must-read for all EV fanatics ...
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ely-expensive/
Chhanda Das is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 23:15   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
ICEs VS EVs : A must-read for all EV fanatics ...
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ely-expensive/
There is nothing in the article which says ICE vs EVs, if anything the author is comparing fossil fuels ( ICE cars) with dirty old economy, the solar, wind and EVs to cleaner new economy. The author is only suggesting not to shut the dirty old economy faster.
SKC-auto is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 00:32   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
There is nothing in the article which says ICE vs EVs, if anything the author is comparing fossil fuels ( ICE cars) with dirty old economy, the solar, wind and EVs to cleaner new economy. The author is only suggesting not to shut the dirty old economy faster.
That is what I meant to convey but somehow made a poor choice of words
I did not want to focus on other aspects than ICEs and EVs since this is T-Bhp
Old 7th August 2021, 09:38   #54
BHPian

We also should not forget that the current modes of polluting power sources have life cycle. They will have to be replaced at some time in the future and investments will be needed.

That is a good time strategically to switch the investment over to greener power production methods.

It is surprising how underutilized the micro wind turbines are. This was a very promising idea a few years ago.

There will have to be multiple solutions to feeding our hunger for power. Solar, wind, tidal, and anything else will all be needed running in parallel.
Old 17th August 2021, 16:57   #55
BHPian

I think our country is all set for ev performance scooters. I got an ather 450x. It is an altogether different experience. Excellent for your short daily trips. I am totally in love with the warp mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it time to buy an Electric Vehicle?-509db95c797845109ed190feed3f2b0b.jpeg  

anilntny is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 23:32   #56
BHPian

My personal choice to wait for few years on EV's .

1. Bottleneck on EV's is battery, Tesla 4680/Cobalt free battery/Solid state battery, all these efforts will basically yield some results, as of now only way Industry is handling it is by using large batteries to get better range.

2. With cheaper battery method, it will also reduce he "upfront" premium we have to pay for EV compared to their ICE counterpart.

3. As of now, what we are getting is more of "beta stage" of EV's , eventually we will get lot more player and options.

4. Particularly for India, our primary energy source still Coal, we don't really help to move to EV as far as environment goes.
Old 17th December 2022, 19:51   #57
Senior - BHPian

Some points on EV vs ICE cars in India.
Note: Some language bits maybe objectionable.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 17th December 2022 at 19:56.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 04:36   #58
BHPian

I see that this thread has been resurrected, so throwing in my inputs based on the current scenario.

I feel for 2 wheelers the time is right, but for 4 wheelers it's better to wait it out. If not for anything else, the "budget" EV options (<20lacs) available now are Tata's and based on their customer service record, most of us would not touch a Tata product.
Old 18th December 2022, 05:53   #59
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I will stay with my Internal Combustion Cars for some more time. At least another 5 years. And then provided the following criteria are met and/or strictures passed, I will consider EV’s.
1. Legislation as per GOI and NGT
2. Increased Range capabilities
3. Availability of easy fast charge points across the board within easy access.
4. Practical, stylish and perhaps prestigious/ quirky/ characterful vehicle options in the EV world.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 18:53   #60
BHPian

I recently bought new car last month and EVs were also under consideration.
But don't know why I still did not find myself confident enough about going for current crop of EVs (below 30 lakhs).
Unless and until any manufacturer dares and comes up in open about battery replacement costs in future, that confidence won't go up. At least in my case.
Spending the higher sum(price difference) while buying the cars and spending another large sum later (for battery) in car's life, just to save on running cost doesn't make sense to me.
So settled with diesel car for now and may switch to Hydrogen FCEVs or Plugin - hybrids, if they come in next 4-5 years time to our market.

My 2 cents!
DriveOnceMore is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks