Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2021, 12:13   #1
Team-BHP Support

Maharashtra: 10% of new vehicles registered to be EVs by 2025

The state of Maharashtra is aiming to register at least 10 electric vehicles per every 100 new vehicles by 2025, according to the new draft electric vehicle (EV) policy 2021. The policy is awaiting the approval of the state government.

Maharashtra: 10% of new vehicles registered to be EVs by 2025-ev.jpg

The government expects that the share of electric vehicles in new registrations across the state in 2025 is expected to be 10% for two-wheelers, 20% for three-wheelers, and 5% for four-wheelers.

The government has city-wise targets to set up charging stations by 2025. These include 1,500 for the Mumbai Metropolitan Region, 500 for Pune, 150 for Nagpur, 100 for Nashik, and 75 for Aurangabad. Additionally, the government plans to have at least one giga-factory for the production of lithium-ion batteries set up in the state.

By 2025, the state also plans to make four highways and expressways suitable for electric vehicles. These include the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, the Mumbai-Nashik highway, the Nashik-Pune highway and the upcoming Mumbai-Nagpur Expressway.

The draft policy also states that all new government vehicles will be electric across major cities. Additionally, the state plans to convert 15% of the current fleet of 18,000 MSRTC buses to electric.

At present, Maharashtra accounts for around 12% of all electric vehicle registrations in India, which translates to around 32,000 EVs.

Source: ET Auto
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 14:26   #2
BHPian

Re: Maharashtra: 10% of new vehicles registered to be EVs by 2025

Does anyone know what percentage of current vehicle sales are EV's in MH ?

Its a nice target set by the government, but the article doesn't mention about how the government is going to go about achieving it, who will be setting up the charging stations and will any specific incentives or laws be rolled out to make EV's more attractive.

In the last few years I've multiple announcements either by the national or state level ministries saying by 20xx we'll have XY number of EV sales, but rarely a defined plan on how and who is going to make that happen and how will the government enable them to do so.
Turbolove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 17:56   #3
BHPian

I see this as a welcome move.

There is a famous model of accepting a grief (Kubler Ross Grief cycle), which split the process in 5 stages:
Denial->Anger->Bargaining-> Depression->Acceptance.

Similarly, for EV's the model will be like:
No EV-> rare EV's ->EV's with good range but unaffordable-> EV's with good range & affordable-> EV's are normal.

The move from ICE to EV will not be overnight, but its going to happen for sure, just like the above model.
I think we are now at third stage. We are seeing EV's now, but unaffordable for the target customer against the same car powered by IC Engines (say Tata Nexon EV vs Tata Nexon).
Affordability will be taken care by both R&D of the companies & Government initiatives.
Range anxiety on roads will be reduced by these charging points.

Note:
Did we ever see a charging point in a mall 5 years before? - No, but we started seeing it now. Similarly, I expect major hotels, fuel stations in highways to have these charging points & I strongly feel, a hotel with EV charging point will be a strong want in another 3-4 years for a normal commuter.

By 2025, A family starting in a fully charged EV (range: 500km), reaching a hotel for lunch after driving 300km (with the car put in fast charge) & then starting for another 200-300km to reach destination will be a normal scenario from my view.
Fiestaboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 18:29   #4
Team-BHP Support

This is feasible only if Maharashtra Govt instructs RTO to register random 10% of new petrol/diesel vehicles as "EVs". Using the registration software's 'Find & Replace' function.
SmartCat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 19:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post

In the last few years I've multiple announcements either by the national or state level ministries saying by 20xx we'll have XY number of EV sales, but rarely a defined plan on how and who is going to make that happen and how will the government enable them to do so.
I agree..the old adage of "Failing to plan is planning to fail" comes to mind but lately I hardly see any planning in any announcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestaboy View Post

Similarly, for EV's the model will be like:
No EV-> rare EV's ->EV's with good range but unaffordable-> EV's with good range & affordable-> EV's are normal.

The move from ICE to EV will not be overnight, but its going to happen for sure, just like the above model.
There is another route which I dread might be taken:
  1. Some learnt person in some court decides ICE can be registered on odd days/months/years only and EV can be registered on all days.
  2. Govt keeps increasing prices of Petrol and diesel that one liter costs over 150 rupees. When i bought my first car in 2010, petrol was around 42 rupees. By 2015 price was 61 in Delhi. In next 5 years if price increase by 50% from current of 93 (Delhi price), 150 is easily achievable.
  3. Lastly someone bans ICE with " Aaj raat 12 baje se.."
But I hope we take a more measured approach and plan properly before moving forward.

Last edited by sunnsood : 28th May 2021 at 19:43.
sunnsood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 00:53   #6
BHPian

Making EVs cheaper and not adding any infrastructure, is this how half baked policies are going to run throughout this country. What a step motherly treatment towards the inevitable!

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/84379798.cms
Old 14th July 2021, 17:25   #7
BHPian

Can anyone here help me understand the total subsidy ( Both Centre and State ) on an EV in Maharashtra? Let's say Tata Nexon for an example? What is the breakdown of the subsidies and how to avail them?

Thank you in advance.
Old 14th July 2021, 20:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jash2709 View Post
Can anyone here help me understand the total subsidy ( Both Centre and State ) on an EV in Maharashtra? Let's say Tata Nexon for an example? What is the breakdown of the subsidies and how to avail them?

Thank you in advance.
Nexon EV website lists Maharashtra state subsidy as 1lakh, waiver on road tax and registration. There is an income tax benefits of upto 1.5lakh on interest payments under Section 80EEB. For commercial vehicles a subsidy of 10000₹/kWh is applicable.

If you are willing to buy it's better to check with your dealer.
SKC-auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 20:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Nexon EV website lists Maharashtra state subsidy as 1lakh, waiver on road tax and registration. There is an income tax benefits of upto 1.5lakh on interest payments under Section 80EEB. For commercial vehicles a subsidy of 10000₹/kWh is applicable.

If you are willing to buy it's better to check with your dealer.
Thank you for the prompt reply.
My question was regarding the new subsidy scheme that was just introduced. Total benefits come to 2.5 lacs! The problem is there’s a lot of ambiguity around it.
Also, regardless of the amount of scheme, how does the process go? Has anyone here benefited from it yet?
Jash2709 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 14:39   #10
BHPian

In other news, the EU region as a whole, commits to eliminating the sales of new gas- and diesel-powered cars in just 14 years, and raising the price of using fossil fuels.

A landmark moment in the shift to green technologies, I think.

Read the full article.
Old 15th July 2021, 21:12   #11
BHPian

Majority of the Indian car market lies below Rs 10Lacs. In our market, initial 20% of EV adoption is more likely to come from 2 wheelers and commercial fleets of 4 wheelers. Within 2 wheelers, scooters will convert more easily than motorcycles.

FAMEII provides incentives on private 2 wheeler sales, and state EV policy in Delhi, Gujarat and Maharashtra adds benefits on top. Total incentives per KWH on 2 wheelers can be higher than per KWH battery pack costs at volume! All we need now are a couple of large volume players competing in the market.

Bajaj, TVS, Ather are doing tiny little volumes, in a market of more than 20 million (2 crore!) 2wheelers per year. Neither meaningful to India's market size, nor large enough to get economies of scale in battery making. These are niche test marketing efforts to validate the product before they convince investors to fund a large expansion.

Ola has made the right bet by investing in a large factory that can make 2 million (20 lac) scooters per year and plan to export as well (copying the Bajaj playbook!). Ola's next step will be domestic battery manufacturing after they have achieved good volumes. We should not be surprised to find the big 2 wheeler makers scrambling to catch up because they let Ola take the lead. And if the product catches on, expect a quick factory expansion.

Ola has done it cleverly. Instead of spending on years of R&D, they scooped up etergo appscooter from Netherlands when it was going bankrupt in 2020. They tied up with factory automation experts like Siemens and ABB and a willing state govt to set up a factory in record time. And unlike Bajaj or TVS, Ola is doing it as a true startup - funding it from venture capital/ private equity money interested in Indian mass market move to emobility. The Rs 499/- 'reservation' will give them data on where to launch the scooter and charger network first. The product still needs proving in our market and I'm sure they will learn some lessons on the way, but the approach is definitely the right one. It is also completely different from the legacy 2wheeler makers.

I just hope all charging stations are standard EV charger plugs and protocols. Closed-door captive charging stations by each vehicle maker will slow down mass market adoption.
guptad42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 23:32   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jash2709 View Post

Thank you in advance.
It'll probably be clearer once the policy has been notified by the Cabinet and Manufacturer's download information to dealers.

As per information available right now my understanding is that there is a straight discount of ₹2.5 lakhs from the State Government in addition to Income Tax benefits from the Central Government. It is still not clear if this is limited to cars below 15 lakhs or any other price. Let's hope for the best policy to be finalised and signed. Fingers crossed.
Jattitude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 01:54   #13
BHPian

My question was regarding the new subsidy scheme that was just introduced. Total benefits come to 2.5 lacs! The problem is there’s a lot of ambiguity around it.
Also, regardless of the amount of scheme, how does the process go? Has anyone here benefited from it yet?[/quote]

I had approached wasan motors Borivali, Mumbai for details and they are as below:
1. It doesn’t matter which variant you buy as all are eligible for subsidy
2. Otr price has to be paid in full by buyer.
3. Post purchase and receiving of registration card you need to apply for subsidy on di.Maharashtra.gov.in. This link is same as the one for 1 lakh subsidy. One is expected to upload individual and car related documents.
4. Post completion of step 3 a self attested photo copy of the same documents has to be couriered to gov office (not sure of address)
5. This will ensure 1.5 lakh subsidy to buyers account after 3-6 months.

Early bird subsidy for 1 lakh.
As of now this is not transparent so one may not ascertain if he is eligible for this.

1.5 lakh 80EEB
1. Purchase of vehicle on loan is a must
2. Upto 50k subsidy in your income tax slab per year. This can be availed for 3 consecutive years making it 1.5 lakh.
Eg.
as is
say post all tax saving investments and expenses and loans we have 10 lakh income.
Assuming a male tax payer the tax amount is 37500 + 37500 (15% of 10 lakh - 7.5 lakh) = 75000.
Subsidy adjustment:
Now say we are paying
more than or equal to 50k interest in car loan per year then considered amount is 50k
Less than 50k interest in car loan per year then considered amount is actual say 40k.
now heading back to the tax slab computation
Assuming a male tax payer the tax amount is 37500 + 30000 (15% of 10 lakh - 7.5 lakh -0.5 lakh subsidy) = 67500.

Actual subsidy 7.5k but it is subjective based on ones income. Higher the income slab more is the subsidy and vice versa.

Scrap-age policy:
This is same for all vehicles. Based on a certificate which shows that you have scrapped your old vehicle one may avail a maximum discount of up to 25k for the manufacturer via dealer on purchase of new vehicle
saurabh_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 08:24   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

And this is causing a delay in deliveries:

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...5mjPUpJeceOqFs

per the article, 400+ Nexon EV' deliveries are delayed due to lack of process at dealership > govt to claim this subsidy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks