Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2021, 09:40   #1
BHPian

Fiat poised to be an all-electric automaker by 2030

Quote:
Fiat CEO Olivier François has already confirmed that a hotter electrified Abarth version is in the works, but now we have confirmation that far more electrification will enter Fiat's lineup. In fact, the Italian brand intends to go completely electric before the end of this decade.

It is our duty to bring to market electric cars that cost no more than those with an internal combustion engine, as soon as we can, in line with the falling costs of batteries," said François "We are exploring the territory of sustainable mobility for all: this is our greatest project. Between 2025 and 2030, our product line-up will gradually become electric-only. This will be a radical change for Fiat."

Additionally, François also stated the infamous rooftop racetrack on Fiat's old Lingotto factory will soon get a green transformation as well.

"Meanwhile, in the near future, only a few months from now, I am proud that we will see the conversion of the legendary track on the roof of the former Lingotto factory in Turin into the largest hanging gardens in Europe, hosting over 28,000 plants," he said. "A major, meaningful – and once again sustainable – project, due to revitalize the city of Turin, our home."
For More:
https://www.motor1.com/news/512025/f...facturer-2030/
Eshan Joshi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 10:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Fiat poised to be an all-electric automaker by 2030

Add salt to taste!

What's with all the manufacturers releasing such statements? When diesels were becoming popular in early 2000s, we did not hear them making a declaration about going "all-diesel" by 2020. Expanding product range by launching EVs over time is fine, but killing off future petrol/diesel lineup is fraught with risks.

If these statements/ plans are serious (and not just to please shareholders or analysts), they are taking a massive business risk - a leap into the unknown.

Last edited by SmartCat : 5th June 2021 at 10:49.
SmartCat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 10:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Assuming these statements are serious (and not just to please shareholders or analysts) and if manufacturers actually go ahead with these plans, they are taking a massive business risk - a leap into the unknown.
+1

I keep wondering how serious the OEMs are while giving out such statements. I hope they have strong fall back plans in place in case things don't move move smoothly in the next 9 years.

Such stark transition in technology is a tricky time to be in. One can't be Honda Motors India, strongly invested in petrol when market moved to diesel. At the same time, you can't arrive with a all diesel portfolio when market is moving back to petrol!

On one hand, we see reports of EV sales surpassing ICE cars in Norway.
Car sales in Norway (Norway is the first country where EV sales have overtaken ICE car sales)

On the other hand, we see reports of early adopters of EV moving back to ICE cars.
Disappointed EV owners (EV owners switching back to IC engine cars due to the inconvenience of charging)

See-saw continues...

Last edited by ashis89 : 5th June 2021 at 10:56.
ashis89 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 11:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Add salt to taste!

What's with all the manufacturers releasing such statements?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
+1

I keep wondering how serious the OEMs are while giving out such statements. I

It's because of the UK. They are planning to ban selling new ICE cars from 2030. And this is going to have a global impact : https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...-global-impact

Even ford have declared that they are going all electric in Europe by 2030:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...pe-2030-a.html (Ford will sell only Electric Passenger Cars in Europe from 2030)

And by my understanding the UK is an important market for both Fiat and Ford.

So it makes sense.

Last edited by Eshan Joshi : 5th June 2021 at 12:00.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 17:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan Joshi View Post
It's because of the UK. They are planning to ban selling new ICE cars from 2030. And this is going to have a global impact : https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...-global-impact

Even ford have declared that they are going all electric in Europe by 2030:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...pe-2030-a.html (Ford will sell only Electric Passenger Cars in Europe from 2030)

And by my understanding the UK is an important market for both Fiat and Ford.

So it makes sense.
Exactly.
UK is a very important market for both Fiat and Ford. So killing of all the petrols and diesels will certainly make these manufacturers start making EVs. Hybrid cars too will get banned by 2035. Due to this many other countries and cities will be banning these cars. The manufacturers only have two options to go for-
1. Completely pull out of the UK market until enough other markets adopt the EV only policy.
2. Or they will just increase the cost to help make the new BEV vehicles which they’re planning to do at a very rapid pace.
The major drawback of all this is that cheap cars which people used to buy and were a bang for their buck are now gonna be expensive than ever. Nobody is willing to pay 25k pounds to purchase an electric Volkswagen Up! Or nearly 45k for an electric Mustang.
Also do they think they’ll be able to increase their infrastructure and invest in fast charging points? Even if they do, It will take years and years. Till then I really don’t see a reason to stand at a power station next to my car for an hour waiting for it to get charged so that I can continue my trip.
Also can we talk about the safety of these vehicles? These cars like the Rimac which Richard Hammond crashed or like the other Tesla’s which involve in a crash continue to burn for days because of their lithium ion battery gets damaged or a cell catches fire then it’s thermal runaways. The EV industry has a lot to do and learn for now.
speedfreak77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 08:03   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiat poised to be an all-electric automaker by 2030

It's a bit premature in my opinion. Of course, the EVs are coming and in some countries, will become very popular. However, there are definite arguments to be made for petrol / diesel cars to exist for another 30 years in many countries. I understand companies like Fiat wanting to go all out on electric, but why stop making IC-engined cars when there is still demand for them? It's not like the preference for petrol or diesel engines is going to evaporate in 9 years. Effectively, these companies will be handing over ICE sales to their competitors.

Quote:
What's with all the manufacturers releasing such statements?
1. PR. Who in 2030 is going to look back and hold them to it? For all you know, the CEO would have moved on from Fiat or retired.

2. The CEO wants to keep his job. Many have been fired for not focusing on the future enough.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks