MG ZS EV 100 24.57%
Mercedes-Benz EQC 7 1.72%
Jaguar I-Pace 16 3.93%
Audi e-tron 20 4.91%
Voters: 407. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2021, 09:36   #31
BHPian

Re: If you had to buy an Electric Car in India today, which would you choose & why?

If I had to buy an EV today, I would go for MG eZS. I test drove one last week and came out impressed. It's one of the most practical EVs out here. Since, this thread on EV has begun, let me give you an overview of situation of EV in Nepal in brief.
May of us may be aware of heaving taxation on motor vehicles in Nepal. A Swift Vxi costs 20 lacs INR here. Nexon XZ+ Petrol costs 29 lacs INR for reference. On the other hand, MG eZS costs 32 lacs INR here. EVs attract lower taxes here. Nexon EV is being road tested here for last few and its pricing will be revealed in a few day. The lower variant may cost 20-21 lacs INR here, its assumed. But Tata Nepal is greedy here and so it may price it higher.
Still, EVs are much better value for money than ICE in Nepal. Next, Nepal is a small country and hence, a shorter ranger won't still be much of a problem.
The most sold EVs here are MG eZS, Kia Niro, Hyundai Kona, BYD and a few Teslas. There are a number of smaller Chinese brands with have launched smaller cars like theeGO, ORA etc. Nissan Leaf got launched only yesterday. There are Mahindra e20s too here.
Comparing EV scenario of Nepal with India: EVs will get more popular in Nepal earlier than in India mainly because it is more value for money than ICE. Why MG eZS sells here more? Its because at a lesser sticker price, it has better ground clearance than others, range is okay, there's panoromic sunroof and automatic transmission and the build quality is superb. The taxation on EVs was reviewed only last months. So, in next few months, we re going to see an onslaught of EVs here.
amitjha086 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 09:58   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: If you had to buy an Electric Car in India today, which would you choose & why?

I spotted few EVs in my city and 90% are Nexon. Spotted MG ZS and few Tigor EVs as well.
Old 8th July 2021, 10:40   #33
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

None. I would rather use public transport or a bicycle.
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 10:43   #34
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Nexon EV as its is a well rounded package priced within my financial reach. Its not a compromise product too.

Being in Rajasthan, which has the worst EV charging infrastructure, I am never going to venture outside the city with the EV, so for that purpose, a real world range of 200-250 km is more than suitable for my needs.
Old 8th July 2021, 10:53   #35
BHPian

From the given options it would be definitely Nexon EV. Tata is also betting on EVs for future so I am confident on this model compared to others.
Old 8th July 2021, 11:04   #36
BHPian

Voted for TATA NEXON.

Since the EV scene is just in the developing stage in India, it would be safe to bet on something like Nexon which is priced under 20Lakh and yet fulfills 90% of your needs. Assured range of 220-250km+ with normal driving is enough for a common man.

Why didn't TATA plonk this bigger battery and the latest tech in their Tigor EV? Any Idea? That would give us a cheaper option with a better range I guess!

Last edited by kamilharis : 8th July 2021 at 11:05.
Old 8th July 2021, 11:05   #37
S2K
BHPian

Like most others, my choices came down to Nexon EV and ZS EV.

Nexon is the most VFM package and even ZS seems reasonable priced.
So for me it comes down to the real world range.
My main criteria for a car is to cover my daily in-city drives as well as my frequent inter-city drives between Mumbai, Pune and Nashik. With 95% of my car needs covered, I can rent out an ICE car for longer journeys.
With Nexon, the real world reported range is so close to the distance I want to cover, that I'll be probably carrying a portable diesel generator with me to avoid any range anxiety
Considering, the battery performance will go down over time, that extra margin becomes even more important considering the volatile nature of traffic jams, accidents and other factors leading to longer travel times over same distance.
So going with ZS here.
If Nexon comes with range figure that is almost the double, even if the cost is substantially higher, I'll buy Nexon, but for now, it is the ZS.

Last edited by S2K : 8th July 2021 at 11:07.
Old 8th July 2021, 11:05   #38
sgm
BHPian

If it is my city car, I will happily settle for Nexon as it can easily give a range of 200km and it is priced appropriately but I will not go for any of these as of today. These products are going to improve drastically in a couple of years. I will happily wait till then. The range anxiety and the battery life is my main concern. Though Tesla launch is imminent, I’m hoping to see a much improved range in the next iterations. It should ideally have 700-800km range, I know it is too much to expect but it will happen eventually. I see that my city mileage is generally similar to my highway mileage, so in EVs I expect the range to drop for highway drives.
Old 8th July 2021, 11:15   #39
BHPian

If I HAD to buy an EV today, I will buy MG ZS EV but only because it fulfills practical range criteria so that it will be usable and serve the purpose and it has decent feature list.

But, practically I will buy none among the today's choices.

Because,
1. Nexon EV fulfills most of the requirements except the real world Range and six airbags. If tata offers 40+kwh battery in it, i will certainly buy it.

2. MG ZS EV - Price is too high and its my personal policy to give the Chinese as little business as possible due to their expansionist policies at the border.

3. Rest of the cars - either i dont like, dont have range or are too expensive to justify the puchase compared to the ICE cars.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 8th July 2021 at 11:20.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 13:03   #40

I would probably push my plans until Tesla comes to the market.
Old 8th July 2021, 13:28   #41
BHPian

I don't think it's a problem with the EV cars in India. Nexon and MG ZS EVs have decent range. The cars in US like Nissan leaf offers around 300km range (~225 miles), which is on par with the better ones here (also assuming miles in US is similar to km in India, given that things in US are farther apart, it adds up)...

But what really differentiates the markets is the presence of a strong EV network to allow charging capabilities during commute (forget superchargers to begin with)...

It always looks like a chicken and egg problem, hence needs to be solved together. You need decent cars with a good reliability / reasonable mileage, and a good EV network. We have decent cars now for sure (its bound to get better) and if the EV charging network also picks pace, I am sure we will be having a conducive ecosystem soon.
warp_10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 13:33   #42
Senior - BHPian

I voted for Tata Nexon EV. It is because:
  1. Tata Nexon is more "familiar" relatively compared to other vehicles. Probably easy to re-sell too.
  2. It is known to be good car too, without niggles.
  3. And since it is an EV, need for visits to Tata service centers will be rare or nil.
  4. If I am buying a Mercedes or a Jaguar, why to buy an EV? I will buy their diesels.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 8th July 2021 at 13:35.
Old 8th July 2021, 14:36   #43
BHPian

Voted for Nexon. It's the chepeast capable vehicle with adequate performance and range IMO. Plus I could go to any corner of Goa and back in a single charge!
Old 8th July 2021, 14:57   #44
BHPian

Voted For Nexon,

Driven the Nexon, Kona and EQC in Chennai. Most of the EVs are susceptible to scape their underbodies in large speakers. But not in the Nexon. And it also felt like a true blue SUV, with a dominating seating position.

Only grouse is the knob for PRND, which felt a little awkward to operate.
Old 8th July 2021, 16:17   #45

Well, I ended up buying the Nexon EV. Considered the MG ZS EV and the Kona for an instant. The other options were either out of reach or below expectations. I preferred the Nexon since it had more road presence, was more affordable and tugged at the heartstrings a little more.

I have had the car for a month and have no regrets. Runs like a dream and is beautiful all round. Heads turn everywhere with the green board and the blue highlights. And the quiet car creeping up on them has taken many a jaywalker by surprise.

Here's a pic of my lovely ride.
Attached Thumbnails
If you had to buy an Electric Car in India today, which would you choose & why?-rogers-nexon.jpeg  

RogerEphraim is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks