MG ZS EV 100 24.57%
Mercedes-Benz EQC 7 1.72%
Jaguar I-Pace 16 3.93%
Audi e-tron 20 4.91%
Voters: 407. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2021, 16:19   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: If you had to buy an Electric Car in India today, which would you choose & why?

Picked the Nexon EV as well. Frankly, I don’t see value in any of the EVs on market today - the technology is developing and you will feel like I do when I think back and remember how I nagged my poor dad into paying ₹25,000 for a PC XT - with 640 KB of RAM and a 20 MB Hard Disk Drive and a Monochrome Screen when I entered engineering in 1990.

But push comes to shove, the Nexon offers decent value, tested safety and is a good urban run about town car - which can be charged from a normal 15 AMP socket - and hence would be my pick if I were forced at buy one.
Hayek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 16:38   #47
Team-BHP Support

Re: If you had to buy an Electric Car in India today, which would you choose & why?

Voted for the Kona Electric.

If the Tesla was launched, the Model 3 would have been an obvious choice, but from the current lot, I would pick the Kona. Nothing special, but been in a few of those here in Singapore and it appear to be a no-nonsense option.

The over-priced first iterations of the Germans are best avoided I feel; I am sure they will evolve well in the near future, but the initial lot doesn’t excite me.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 17:02   #48
BHPian

Upset that Tesla isn’t an option on this- that being said, having driven the Audi etron(which didn’t give me any oomph factor) after driving the Tesla Model Y, my preferred choice would be the Audi. Reasons would be free charging offered for 3 years (here in North America), and luxurious interiors (everyone knows Tesla believes minimalism to the core).
Old 8th July 2021, 20:24   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No way I'm spending a crore on 1st-gen products from Mercedes, Jaguar & Audi when Tesla's India launch is just around the corner. Drive the fast dual-motor Teslas guys, and you'll be an instant convert. Trust me. Tesla is 5 - 10 years ahead of the Germans in drivetrain tech, power & driving feel (although everyone else is fast catching up - case in point, Taycan).
I second that. My Acura ILX's lease is coming up in September and my search for a new car ended with the Tesla Model 3 Std range plus. I test drove sedans and SUVs (wife still wants to get a SUV :( ) and NOTHING came close to the model 3 in terms of driving pleasure. The dual motor long range is just perfect but sadly out of my budget.

The base G20 330i felt very ordinary. Now, I'm not sure if it was because the test drive vehicle was a base model without sports steering. The steering felt like the good old Hyundai i10. The X3 drove better than the 3 series. I was mighty impressed by the Lexus IS 350 and the NX300 but those are for another day.

The Tesla does have some build quality issues but if you can look past those, it's probably one of the most fun cars to drive.
HKap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 03:22   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerEphraim View Post
Well, I ended up buying the Nexon EV. Considered the MG ZS EV and the Kona for an instant. The other options were either out of reach or below expectations. I preferred the Nexon since it had more road presence, was more affordable and tugged at the heartstrings a little more.

I have had the car for a month and have no regrets. Runs like a dream and is beautiful all round. Heads turn everywhere with the green board and the blue highlights. And the quiet car creeping up on them has taken many a jaywalker by surprise.

Here's a pic of my lovely ride.
Congratulations for picking this beauty. And I loved the alloys.
Old 9th July 2021, 06:50   #51
BHPian

I would vote "NOTA". I believe it is still the "Wild West" as far as EV market is concerned. Buying a car at 10L+ now in this uncertain situation seems to be risky if we want to keep it for at least 5 years. I would wait for another 2-3 years for Indian EV manufacturers and technology to mature. Battery technology is also going thru growing pains, Km-Between-Charge is also evolving.

This poll will most relevant in another 2 years
Old 9th July 2021, 07:01   #52
Mik
BHPian

Voted for the MG ZS EV

Bought the Nexon EV

EVs are just awesome when it comes to relaxed driving. The regenerative braking, while unsettling to co-passengers and newbies, is a boon. Single gears mean there is literally nothing to break your progress forward. The best part is that you literally get two cars in one. If needed, a torque monster with very sprightly performance and when driven smooth - one hell of a money saver.
This is coming from a dieselhead who used to hate Automatic cars and always thought EVs are those ungainly things you scoff at.

As far as the vote and purchase decision goes:
The Nexon makes sense only as a second car for pottering around the city and nearby areas. A real world range between 200/250 in the city and less than ideal speeds on the highway to achieve range - is a deal breaker as the only car in the garage.
Thus, the MG ZS EV with a much better range, better performance and dare I say - a bit more snob value.
Mik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 09:32   #53

Quote:
Congratulations for picking this beauty. And I loved the alloys.
Thanks mate. The 'flowery' design of the company alloys in cars manufactured after May 2021 were very unattractive to me. Was looking for options in the market. Unfortunately Tata cars seem to have very limited options. Thankfully found that these Momo alloys are made for this PCD. The concave design gives a better stance to the car IMO.
Old 9th July 2021, 13:07   #54
BHPian

Voted for the MG ZS EV

I am hoping to own the MG ZS EV in the coming months but need to sort some things out first.

As stated in the past I do mainly city drives, mall hopping.
The Nexon EV is a great option and quite decently priced , however for me I will be moving from a Creta so the MG ZS EV is quite a nice fit.

Last week I asked for an extend Test drive of the MG to see if i can charge it at home with the 15amp plug point. (last year the power point at my place was not working)
I got a test drive vehicle with 14K on the odo and with many warning indicators on.

I was able to charge the car from 19% to 100% in around 16hours.
I also had the air conditioner on in one room for a while to see if any power trip would happen. All was well. This gave me the confidence to make owning an EV possible.
Cause if you cannot charge it at home while you recharge yourself there is no point.
Using DC fast charge cost the same as an ICE vehicle.

So fingers crossed by Oct I hope to start a MG ZS EV ownership thread.

Last edited by yajaman99 : 9th July 2021 at 13:10. Reason: correction
yajaman99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 14:06   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
It was a close fight between the MG & the Nexon, with the Nexon scoring well on value, safety, and I am really impressed with the strides Tata has been making, etc. However, given the way EV Infrastructure is at the moment + the low range of the Nexon, the MG inspires more confidence for those odd long distance journeys : though with infra as it is today, it would be a second car rather than a primary car. .
As far as safety is concerned, The MG ZS is far ahead. Both the Nexon and the ZS are 5 star rated but Nexon only has 2 airbags and is missing ESC, TPMS and even cruise control. Even a ‘P’ or park option is missing on the Nexon gearbox and you have to leave it in N with the handbrake on. Seems a bit unsafe. Shockingly ESC, TPMS and cruise control are available on the regular Nexon. The ZS has 6 airbags, ESC, TPMS, cruise control, P option as well as the option to control the regeneration level. So overall the ZS is much safer. In addition, the Nexon can charge at a max 25KW whereas the ZS can handle 75KW. If you are using the rare 60 or 50KW fast charger, you will notice a difference.

I do however like the Nexon’s handling as well as the effort put in by Tata in developing charging infrastructure.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 16:43   #56
BHPian

Voted for Kona since I already have one and having driven it over 35k km, in retrospect I feel this is the best choice I made among itself,ZS EV and Nexon EV.
ADI7YAK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 19:49   #57
BHPian

Considering the absurd and huge rise in the price of petrol & diesel the government should have focused better policies to bring on more electric vehicles on our roads. Considering that there is a difference of approx. 5 lakhs in the prices of electric vehicle and their petrol / diesel counterparts i doubt if its worthwhile buying an electric vehicle unless you are driving longer distances daily.
Sarinkrc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 01:52   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKap View Post
I second that. My Acura ILX's lease is coming up in September and my search for a new car ended with the Tesla Model 3 Std range plus. I test drove sedans and SUVs (wife still wants to get a SUV :( ) and NOTHING came close to the model 3 in terms of driving pleasure. The dual motor long range is just perfect but sadly out of my budget.

The base G20 330i felt very ordinary. Now, I'm not sure if it was because the test drive vehicle was a base model without sports steering. The steering felt like the good old Hyundai i10. The X3 drove better than the 3 series. I was mighty impressed by the Lexus IS 350 and the NX300 but those are for another day.

The Tesla does have some build quality issues but if you can look past those, it's probably one of the most fun cars to drive.
Quick tip for you as you’re shopping around: The lease for my current 2019 Lexus RX 350 was coming up next July (2022) and I asked Tesla for a trade-in who offered me positive equity ($2k) more. I went around to other dealers (BMW, Audi, VW, and Merc) as the current used car market is hot and received other higher offers. Suggest shopping around starting with Tesla (takes a day for them to come back with the trade-in amount) followed by others.

Re SUV, did you test drive the 2021 Model Y? It’s amazing as it offers better ground clearance, greater range, and has a heat pump for our winter climes here in Toronto.

If you’re interested, go for one ASAP as the the timelines are crazy and demand is through the roof for the Y (and the 3). Good luck !
Old 13th July 2021, 23:47   #59
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Voted for the Nexon EV as its is a well rounded package priced within my financial reach. Its not a compromise product too.
In addition to this fact, I am sure the parts sharing between the regular Nexon models and the Nexon EV will definitely result in lower overall ownership cost which the other higher priced rivals cannot match. Be it damage repairs (body/trim panels) or regular maintenance parts (brake, shocks, bearings etc.)
Old 20th July 2021, 18:18   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Voted for the Nexon EV as its is a well rounded package priced within my financial reach. Its not a compromise product too.

Being in Rajasthan, which has the worst EV charging infrastructure, I am never going to venture outside the city with the EV, so for that purpose, a real world range of 200-250 km is more than suitable for my needs.
Nexon is a decent product but misses out on some critical and important features. It offers only 2 airbags and doesn't have stability control, traction control, P or park on gearbox, TPMS or even cruise control. Strangely, cruise control, TPMS, stability control and roll over mitigation are present on the cheaper petrol and diesel Nexons!
As far as charging is concerned, there are more chargers being added every month. Currently you can easily drive between Jaipur and Delhi as an example.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks