Team-BHP > Electric Cars


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2021, 10:33   #1
BHPian
 
RahulNagaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 450
Thanked: 4,648 Times
Default EV owners told to send in their car's odometer reading for road tax in Australia

The road authority of the state of Victoria in Australia has asked EV owners to send in a photograph of their car's odometer reading, starting from July 1, 2021. According to a media report, this move is part of the state's new electric vehicle road tax, which is effective from the start of the financial year.

EV owners told to send in their car's odometer reading for road tax in Australia-teslamodels1.jpg

EV owners in Victoria would be taxed 2.5 cents per kilometre from July 1. This amounts to an annual bill of AUS$ 375 for cars that travel around 15,000 km a year and AUS$ 750 for those which travel double that.

EV owners who fail to comply with the new regulation could have their vehicle's registration either cancelled or suspended, along with facing other penalties.

The media report claims that EV owners and companies are not happy with the new road tax, calling it an obstacle for increasing EV sales in the country.

The state has, however, also announced rebates of up to AUS$ 3,000 for the first 4,000 EVs. Once the number is reached, the state will review the scale of the rebate.

However, while this is good for new EV buyers, current EV owners will not only miss out on the rebate, but also be taxed for driving emission-free vehicles.

Source: TheDriven

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 11:14   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
avira_tk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,129
Thanked: 1,965 Times
Default Re: EV owners told to send in their car's odometer reading for road tax in Australia

This is what you get in a police state that has an out of control welfare budget. This will soon have a gps tracking device linked to your bank account. Electric cars will take away your freedom to travel, no two ways about it. I agree with the government in this case, no need to subsidize energy costs for personal transport, you pay your share for using the infrastructure.
avira_tk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 11:51   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
DicKy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Thiruvanthapuram
Posts: 2,261
Thanked: 4,149 Times
Default Re: EV owners told to send in their car's odometer reading for road tax in Australia

Conspiracy theory mode ON

This was inevitable. Governments would need to find some way to recover the loss of fuel tax revenue. Easy way is to tax the usage. The government's plan for GPS based toll collection is just a way to run the tax meter when our car starts rolling. Ofcourse, there will be some economists and urbanists championing the cause for 'pay while you use' or do anything to tax the evil personal automobile

EVs just facilitate it more easily. Funny how many BEV enthusiasts would proclaim they got energy freedom and are no longer tied to evil oil corporations, while the governments are waiting to tax every metre they are going to travel

Conspiracy theory mode OFF.

Last edited by DicKy : 6th July 2021 at 11:52.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 12:03   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
TrackDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Magic land
Posts: 1,043
Thanked: 4,199 Times
Default Re: EV owners told to send in their car's odometer reading for road tax in Australia

This is before EV has gone mainstream ! Have to wonder what different ways a consumer will be fleeced once he has no more option of an ICE car. This looks like shooting in the foot while encouraging the general population to go electric. What scares me is what will happen once EVs go mainstream on our shores. At this rate, they would skip the photograph phase and directly get the data from our cars.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 13:29   #5
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4,139
Thanked: 3,841 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Re: EV owners told to send in their car's odometer reading for road tax in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Conspiracy theory mode ON

This was inevitable. Governments would need to find some way to recover the loss of fuel tax revenue. Easy way is to tax the usage. The government's plan for GPS based toll collection is just a way to run the tax meter when our car starts rolling. Ofcourse, there will be some economists and urbanists championing the cause for 'pay while you use' or do anything to tax the evil personal automobile
It is inevitable, the question is when is the right time? Only .5% of new car sales in Australia are electric vehicles and most electric car owners that I know also have solar panels installed. So not only are they reducing the CO2 emissions, they are also strengthening the grid. The tax collected this way would be miniscule, relatively speaking, and is incredibly short sighted of the government, in supposedly the most progressive state in Australia. Victorian government I am sure spends more subsidising LED lights, which you can get replaced for free for your home if they arent LED already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
EVs just facilitate it more easily. Funny how many BEV enthusiasts would proclaim they got energy freedom and are no longer tied to evil oil corporations, while the governments are waiting to tax every metre they are going to travel
Conspiracy theory mode OFF.
Not sure what you meant by facilitating it more easily? The tax is also applicable to PHEV's but they are charged 2 cents a kilometre instead of 2.5

Last edited by extreme_torque : 6th July 2021 at 13:31.
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 6th July 2021, 19:53   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
DicKy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Thiruvanthapuram
Posts: 2,261
Thanked: 4,149 Times
Default Re: EV owners told to send in their car's odometer reading for road tax in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post

Not sure what you meant by facilitating it more easily?
Should have worded it more carefully.

Sure, even the most basic ICE vehicle could be made to be always under surveillance or have its data recorded. But it's a fact that EV vehicles have more connected features, especially by design. What with the data being transferred real time or the OTA updates. We have seen the manufacturer removing features from a car since the current owner bought it used instead of directly paying the company. Or removing features since their collected data showed people were not using it much.

Calculating tax based on mileage is straightforward. But then again, the customary sitting in the car listening to music after a long commute back to home could be also charged since you are technically using the car even if a wheel is not turned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The tax is also applicable to PHEV's but they are charged 2 cents a kilometre instead of 2.5
DicKy is offline  
Old 6th July 2021, 20:00   #7
BHPian
 
SKC-auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: KA01/AP31
Posts: 445
Thanked: 919 Times
Default Re: EV owners told to send in their car's odometer reading for road tax in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
What with the data being transferred real time or the OTA updates. We have seen the manufacturer removing features from a car since the current owner bought it used instead of directly paying the company. Or removing features since their collected data showed people were not using it much.
That's because Tesla makes only EVs, I guess E2o does not have any of those connected features. ICE cars can also have "Internet Inside".

Last edited by SKC-auto : 6th July 2021 at 20:25.
SKC-auto is offline  
Old 7th July 2021, 03:28   #8
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4,139
Thanked: 3,841 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Re: EV owners told to send in their car's odometer reading for road tax in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Should have worded it more carefully.

Sure, even the most basic ICE vehicle could be made to be always under surveillance or have its data recorded. But it's a fact that EV vehicles have more connected features, especially by design. What with the data being transferred real time or the OTA updates. We have seen the manufacturer removing features from a car since the current owner bought it used instead of directly paying the company. Or removing features since their collected data showed people were not using it much.
I beg to disagree. Tesla isnt the government and they arent the one taxing people. It has got nothing to do with whether it is an electric car or an ICE car, connected or otherwise.
extreme_torque is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks