Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2021, 16:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tesla introduces full self-driving subscription package for $199 / month

Tesla has introduced the Full Self-Driving (FSD) subscription package for US$ 199 per month for customers with the basic autopilot package. However, those using the enhanced autopilot package will have to churn out US$ 99 / month to upgrade to FSD.

Tesla introduces full self-driving subscription package for 9 / month-teslamodels1.jpg

The subscription package for Tesla's FSD technology allows customers the flexibility to use and cancel the feature whenever required. Previously, Tesla offered the full self-driving technology with a one-time payment of US$ 10,000.

According to Tesla, only those vehicles with Full Self-Driving computer 3.0 or above, along with either the basic or enhanced autopilot feature are eligible to subscribe for FSD capability. Customers can, however, install the FSD computer hardware separately, before purchasing the subscription plan.

Tesla introduces full self-driving subscription package for 9 / month-teslamodels3.jpg

The full self-driving capability will offer Tesla owners access to a host of advanced driver assistance features. These features are said to be designed to provide more guidance and assisted driving, compared to the standard autopilot system. However, like the autopilot feature, FSD too will require active supervision by the driver.

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 17:42   #2
BHPian

Re: Tesla introduces full self-driving subscription package for $199 / month

This is on the similar lines of what Volkswagen planned few days back. The self driving, I believe is going on a mobile path.

We would need to upgrade hardware and software every now and then to keep using the features. The manufacturers will exert a strong control on how I drive/ use my car.

Last edited by theflyingguy : 19th July 2021 at 17:42. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 19th July 2021, 19:13   #3
BHPian

I can understand this from an accounting/revenue perspective. Easy on the wallet for the consumer, recurring revenue in the books for the manufacturer etc. But from a technology perspective, I hope the license validation check is not at the heart of the autopilot software. There was the classic comic strip where Microsoft owns auto pilot and it asks to upgrade as the flight is in its final descent to land with bewildered looks in the pilot and co-pilot's faces
sramanat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 06:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Assuming I can turn the self-driving system on & off at will, I prefer VWs 9 Euros an hour better. That way, I won't pay if I'm not using the system.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 21:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Law Commision of England and Wales recommends that the practice of manufacturers using terms like 'self-driving' or 'driverless' or 'automated vehicle (AV)' to refer to partially automated assisted driving systems in communication be classified a criminal offence.

Link to Report by Law Commission

Name:  Screenshot 20220127 at 9.34.55 PM.png
Views: 65
Size:  148.5 KB

Name:  Screenshot 20220127 at 9.35.17 PM.png
Views: 60
Size:  159.4 KB

Name:  Screenshot 20220127 at 9.35.47 PM.png
Views: 63
Size:  133.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot 20220127 at 9.36.06 PM.png
Views: 64