Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2022, 11:51   #61
BHPian

Re: Driving Impressions : Hyundai Ioniq 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Man this car is going to divide opinions like nothing else.

Not a fan of strange retro-futuristic exercise in design in general and I hate this car. Kia EV6 for me any day.

I often wonder how this design ever made it to production from concept stage. It appears Hyundai is flush with cash and can gamble with designs as they please.
A testament to how varied human tastes are .

I personally think this is one of the coolest looking cars of the past few decades. Love the neo-retro design, past meets future. Its like the love-child of a 1980s VW Golf and the Starship Enterprise. Brilliant I say!
lordrayden is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 12:03   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post

I personally think this is one of the coolest looking cars of the past few decades. Love the neo-retro design, past meets future. Its like the love-child of a 1980s VW Golf and the Starship Enterprise. Brilliant I say!
+1
I too like this design, As you have mentioned It has a hint of old Golf design to it and have a aura of futuristic cars in 80's & 90's movies like 'Back to the future'
Asish_VK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 12:17   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post

In addition, I like the interiors of this better than the EV6. There are also atleast some buttons unlike the EV6 with no buttons.
Old 11th May 2022, 13:22   #64
BHPian

Love the car design however polarized it may be , but the beige color , those LED head & tail, tasteful alloys. Simply awesome looking.

Now since its coming as a Ckd and if they launch the dual motor AWD 306bhp at less than 40 lacs ex showroom. It is the one to buy.

Hoping Hyundai doesnt get greedy like Toyota / Merc and fills the gap neatly below Xc40 recharge and Kia EV6 (CBU)
Old 11th May 2022, 13:28   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Man this car is going to divide opinions like nothing else.

Not a fan of strange retro-futuristic exercise in design in general and I hate this car. Kia EV6 for me any day.

I often wonder how this design ever made it to production from concept stage. It appears Hyundai is flush with cash and can gamble with designs as they please.

On the contrary, I think it looks way better than the EV6's weird looking rear. But to answer your question, hyundai/kia has poached a lot of designers/engineers from bmw, benz, audi, bentley etc and part of what they offered other than better pay, was more freedom to create whatever they wanted.
Old 20th May 2022, 16:20   #66
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai to locally assemble Ioniq 5 EV for sale in India.

Name:  20220520041009_Watermarked_2__3__4_.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  95.9 KB

CKD assembly of Ioniq 5 will result in significantly lower price than Kia EV6, but deliveries could be pushed to January 2023.

Quote:
For India, company sources say that Hyundai will launch the base version with a 58kWh battery and a single 169hp motor to widen the price gap even further. “We are targeting a sub Rs 50 lakh price”
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 20th May 2022 at 16:23.
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 17:37   #67
BHPian

58kWh battery has 380km WLTP range. I still wonder how can they screw up on battery sizes twice? Kona should have been 64kWh from the word go and Ioniq 5 should be 77.4kWh too. Do they think Indians don’t need to drive 500km in a charge!? Rant over.
ADI7YAK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 18:12   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Hyundai to locally assemble Ioniq 5 EV for sale in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI7YAK View Post
58kWh battery has 380km WLTP range. I still wonder how can they screw up on battery sizes twice? Kona should have been 64kWh from the word go and Ioniq 5 should be 77.4kWh too. Do they think Indians don’t need to drive 500km in a charge!? Rant over.
Excited to see the commitment from Hyundai in getting the Ioniq locally assembled. Hope this would be the final answer to the much needed quality car in the void between Nexon and the 1 Cr plus items.

Bit disappointed if the option thats mentioned here is true though. On one end, we have Volvo thinking that a 75 lac plus version with 78kWh is all this market need, and on the other hand Hyundai contemplating bringing in only the base version of their line up.

This is exactly where Tata scores. They have a complete spectrum of customer choice covered with the Nexon alone (Lets keep aside Tigor for the time being).

Starting from 30 kWh single charge option, to 40 kWh with multiple charge options also. With Max also, instead of just forcing the costlier 7.2 kW AC fast charger, one gets to stick to a slow 3.3 kW wall box charger.
Old 20th May 2022, 18:45   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Excited to see the commitment from Hyundai in getting the Ioniq locally assembled. Hope this would be the final answer to the much needed quality car in the void between Nexon and the 1 Cr plus items.

Bit disappointed if the option thats mentioned here is true though. On one end, we have Volvo thinking that a 75 lac plus version with 78kWh is all this market need, and on the other hand Hyundai contemplating bringing in only the base version of their line up.

This is exactly where Tata scores. They have a complete spectrum of customer choice covered with the Nexon alone (Lets keep aside Tigor for the time being).

Starting from 30 kWh single charge option, to 40 kWh with multiple charge options also. With Max also, instead of just forcing the costlier 7.2 kW AC fast charger, one gets to stick to a slow 3.3 kW wall box charger.
But they don’t cover the complete spectrum of customer choice. 30-40kWh does not remotely cover the limit of what EV customers want.

Maybe people want 11kW fast chargers or even 22kW fast chargers. It is beyond unwise to get an EV without a minimum 7.2kW charger. Unless you use your car every alternate day.

Maybe EV buyers also want 58kW or even 77kW or even more. Let’s be honest, we have no idea what the real world range of the Nexon Max even is. Just because it says 300 on the box, doesn’t mean you’ll ever get near that actual range.

Even the most advanced EV architectures in the market right now, which is the Tesla Architecture, Hyundai/Kia’s E-GMP and the Porsche architecture, cannot remotely come close to their WLTP range.

The feature list is also the bare minimum with the Nexon EV. Maybe people want a premium product that’s also an EV.

EVs are definitely expensive. That is the case everywhere in the world. It’s new technology that is being adopted and will take time for it to grow to a mass scale where it can be considered affordable.

Kia launches EV6 as CBU with 77kWh battery? Whaa who’s going to pay 60L for a Kia EV?! They’re out of their mind.

Hyundai says they’ll make the Ioniq 5 here as a CKD to reduce costs and bring affordability with a cheaper 58kWh battery? How can they do this? We need range.

Volvo says they’ll launch a more affordable premium EV with 408 HP and dual motors? They can’t be charging 75L for that? Who wants that?!

Last edited by GTO : 21st May 2022 at 07:58. Reason: No need for such a rude or strong post please. Request to continue being polite, calm & respectful, even in debates. Thanks for the support & understanding
venom_op is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 19:37   #70
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
But they don’t cover the complete spectrum of customer choice. 30-40kWh does not remotely cover the limit of what EV customers want.

Maybe people want 11kW fast chargers or even 22kW fast chargers. Also they don’t force you, but it is beyond unwise to get an EV without a minimum 7.2kW charger. Unless you use your car every alternate day.

Maybe EV buyers also want 58kW or even 77kW or even more.
Agree, many EV buyers are just probably waiting for a EV with higher battery capacity.
But not all of the people would need fast chargers.

Single phase power is limited to less then 7kw. The fuse carrier in the electric pole itself is rated only for 32A or about 7.4kw for domestic.
Getting 22kw is only possible if the charger uses 3 phase electricity connection and if you use use all the power just for the EV, what about other appliances like Air con, ovens, geysers etc.

One would also need to pay enormous cost to upgrade the connection and also pay a higher fixed charge each month, around 2.4k a month even if you don't use any electricity whats so ever.

Quote:

Kia launches EV6 as CBU with 77kWh battery? who’s going to pay 60L for a Kia EV?! They’re out of their mind.

Hyundai says they’ll make the Ioniq 5 here as a CKD to reduce costs and bring affordability with a cheaper 58kWh battery? How can they do this? We need range.
Agree, I doubt Kia or Hyundai can command such a high sticker price in India.
EV enthusiasts may cough up the price, but will they. If all that they get is a 58kwh pack. Even the MG ZS ev has a 51kwh pack and costs half as much.

BYD E6 already comes with 70kwh plus battery pack but only sold for fleet operators.

If manufacturers are going to launch high priced EV, it better be a luxury brand or a mainstream brand but with incredible range.

The reliability, refinement in the power train is kind of the same level in EV from Tata to a Toyota. A motor has one moving shaft held with two bearings on either ends.
All the previous arguments of the Toyota badge or Honda badge in terms of mechanical reliability, no longer applies.
aim120 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 19:45   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Agree, many EV buyers are just probably waiting for a EV with higher battery capacity.
But not all of the people would need fast chargers.

Single phase power is limited to less then 7kw. The fuse carrier in the electric pole itself is rated only for 32A or about 7.4kw for domestic.
Getting 22kw is only possible if the charger uses 3 phase electricity connection and if you use use all the power just for the EV, what about other appliances like Air con, ovens, geysers etc.

One would also need to pay enormous cost to upgrade the connection and also pay a higher fixed charge each month, around 2.4k a month even if you don't use any electricity whats so ever.
I’m sure many people have a 3 phase connection at home. Also I don’t know what the situation in your state is but if you get an EV you can get a special subsidized rate for EV charging in MH.
Old 20th May 2022, 19:52   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Even the most advanced EV architectures in the market right now, which is the Tesla Architecture, Hyundai/Kia’s E-GMP and the Porsche architecture, cannot remotely come close to their WLTP range.
I don’t understand where this notion of car not being able to achieve WLTP range comes from? I regularly get 300km range with Kona on a mix of highway and rural or city usage, WLTP figure of 39kWh Kona is 305km. Many of the owners I know get anywhere from 320km to 370km when driven sedately. I’m more than sure cars will achieve their WLTP range in most Indian traffic conditions.

Moreover, is it too much to ask for a CKD variant of a car that will do 500km on a single charge? One of the biggest hindrances Tesla faced was that they do not have an assembly line in India and do not want to commit to a Gigafactory just yet. The manufacturers who have full fledged manufacturing plants do not bother bringing top spec cars here and then crib about crippling sales volumes.

In my personal use case a car with range will cover upto 95% of the road-trips I regularly take. I still am of a firm belief that Hyundai and Kia should reconsider their decision of getting small battery variants as CKD and I’m sure there are many others who resonate with my opinion.

Here is a picture of a recent drive on Kona.

Driving Impressions : Hyundai Ioniq 5-20a9360fd16344a88823ae5b5aa5a75a.jpeg
ADI7YAK is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 20:08   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The point is, they offered the customers the power to chose, rather than enforcing a single entity when they have the range available to offer from the stable. This allowed folks with a budget range of 16 - 21 lakhs an EV to be bought, rather than limiting to one single 21lac car.

Also i think you misread something about Volvo. It's one of the favourite brands and this car in particular is one of the most anticipated one.

No other factors were intended to be compared. It's all about limiting customers the choice.

Peace.
Old 21st May 2022, 09:44   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
The point is, they offered the customers the power to chose, rather than enforcing a single entity when they have the range available to offer from the stable. This allowed folks with a budget range of 16 - 21 lakhs an EV to be bought, rather than limiting to one single 21lac car.
Sadly sir that is the price we have to pay. Our market is too small to have local manufacturing for EVs. Our taxation system ensures that the car manufacturer isn’t really milking us at all. More than 60% of the vehicle cost actually goes to the Govt. And with CBUs it’s even higher. So technically that 75L Volvo should be about 35-40L but the tax is what is killing us.
Old 23rd May 2022, 11:27   #75
BANNED

Quote:
More than 60% of the vehicle cost actually goes to the Govt.
This might be true for ICE but not true for EV. It's 5% GST for EV, not considering the various GST charges for components.

On the news that Ioniq 5 might be through CKD. I truly hope it is, there would be lot of buyers for this. All those who booked Tesla and waiting for Lord Elon to deliver on his "This year for sure" promise, might jump to this amazing car.
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks