Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2021, 19:22   #61
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Tata Altroz EV to get larger battery, 40% more range

It definitely won't be a longer range Nexon EV - because doing so will only get Nexon EV's price much much closer to ZS EV - and when that happens ZS EV would be a clear winner (of course there are corner cases, but still). IMHO it will be a strategic blunder to add range to Nexon EV, instead they would do that on a cheaper new vehicle.
Old 10th August 2021, 20:03   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaikalra01 View Post
But they are calling it the "mystery" EV, so I don't think it will be a Nexon. Hope its either Altroz or HBX EV.
Indeed. I resonate the same. Just an extended range variant of Nexon EV is, while exciting, in no way, mysterious.

I would consider, either a new model (HBX/hornbill) or an entirely ground up EV to be truly mysterious. The latter is likely not happening now or anytime soon at least.

On that note though, I am reminded of this spyshot of HBX, an the colour does look similar to the nexon’s exclusive blue paint.
Scoop! Tata Altroz EV to get larger battery, 40% more range-8eb2be4ccaa14d0d85c04193af1a800c.jpeg

My bet is on the HBX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
Both the Altroz and HBX haven't been seen testing. Tata cars usually undergo lot of local testing before launch. I dont think this will be anything new. But I sincerely hope I'm wrong here.
Yes, but nowhere does the teaser say that “we’re gonna launch it within the next fortnight” either.

I did a quick Google search, and very first spy shots of Nexon EV (in pre facelift design), were recorded sometime around same time as this, ie Aug’19. A testing phase of around 5-6mo before launch in Jan’20.

Our own TeamBHP

Gaadiwadi

The official deal about that Ladakh testing teasers began all the way in October of ‘19.
That should put into perspective, the timeline we are looking at.

Teaser comes in august, so I guess the launch at best could be in November or about Diwali time — which further affirms HBX possibility as that model has been in testing for far longer.

At best, this is a teaser for a ”preview video”, not an actual launch. Eventually, when the video does come out in full on YT, don’t expect it to be different from the original Nexon EV teasers — no specs, all camo.
Shresth_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 20:54   #63
BHPian

As much as I would like to share the enthusiasm towards the advent of India's golden EV age, I have a few questions pertaining to the daily logistics. Kindly excuse my ignorance on the matter.

Assuming that the early adapters to current and upcoming EVs are mostly from metros/tier 2 cities, majority of its owners would be staying in buildings and not standalone homes. The most convinient avenue to charge would be in the parking area of your building. Unless housing societies take the initiative to set up charging ports in their overcrowded parking area, surely it isin't feasible to charge your EV anywhere else?

For current EV owners who stay in buildings/high rise apartments, where do you charge your vehicle?

Our country has some way to go before we can have a decent network of DC / high speed charging stations. I can only see EV owners who reside in bungalows/standalone homes possess the flexibility of installing their private charging ports (notwithstanding significant sum involved in said high-speed charging port). For someone living on the 10th floor of an apartment, I can't imagine the sheer torture that would be endured, just to get a charging port set up next to their allocated parking in their society.

I sincerely hope that early adapters and general enthusiasts are aware that charging times, costs and the set up involved is quite unlike charging our mobile phones.

Although some development is in progress, where is the standing infrastructure for such environmentally conscious indulgences available right now?

I will not open the glaring, broader issue of majority of the country still not having access to uninterrupted electricity for basic needs, let alone for the indulgence of charging their personal mode of transportation that costs few million rupees. That is elitist territory.

I don't intend to rain on the EV brigade's parade. Rather it is my pragmatism and part lack of knowledge, that has driven me to ask these elemental questions.
Old 11th August 2021, 11:15   #64
BHPian

Name:  Screenshot 20210811 111405.png
Views: 1727
Size:  239.8 KB
So, finally the mystery vehicle has been unveiled - though not fully (still in camo) - It's a Tigor EV with Ziptron (hence they rebranded the earlier Tigor EV)
https://twitter.com/TatamotorsEV/sta...29396995354626
[Time for a separate thread probably]
Old 11th August 2021, 11:37   #65
BHPian

Video of the Hill Ascent Challenge now up on YT.

Edit 1 : Tigor EV with Ziptron powertrain confirmed by Tata Motors.

Scoop! Tata Altroz EV to get larger battery, 40% more range-979a21d232f6478e9403c09ca4eb6d65.jpeg

It’s notable that present Tigor EV uses a 72V powertrain architecture unlike the 320V “Ziptron” powertrain architecture in the Nexon EV.

Last edited by Shresth_EV : 11th August 2021 at 11:51.
Shresth_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 12:26   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

That’s a dampener and then some! Tata has given us a car nobody had asked for, like the eKUV. Like it or not, Tigor is a failed car in the market, right along with Ford Aspire. A proper EV variant of the same is not going to revive it. Once a car tanks in the market, it tanks for good. Tata would get a much better response with an EV Tiago, even if it is with a smaller 22kwh battery. That can be an ideal entry point to the Tata EV range.

Then again, the car we are waiting for is the Altroz EV, with the Nexon EV powertrain or better.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 12:34   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
That’s a dampener and then some! Tata has given us a car nobody had asked for, like the eKUV. Like it or not, Tigor is a failed car in the market, right along with Ford Aspire. A proper EV variant of the same is not going to revive it. Once a car tanks in the market, it tanks for good. Tata would get a much better response with an EV Tiago, even if it is with a smaller 22kwh battery. That can be an ideal entry point to the Tata EV range.

Then again, the car we are waiting for is the Altroz EV, with the Nexon EV powertrain or better.
Disagree (with respect). Except for underpowered engines, Tigor was always the best looking, best built Compact sedan in the market (and dare I say, best handling one as well). Pity that JTP was not pursued for long. That was a hell of a package!

Now with EV, the performance part would be well taken care of. I expect Tigor EV will sell well. It won't revive the Tigor car in terms of sales, but will revive the Tigor brand (a cut above the boring Dzires/Xcents) at least.

I see it as a good strategy.

Also, Off-topic, but I believe EV's will revive the Sedan body form again. Such quick acceleration and power need to have better handling and dynamics as well.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 12:45   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
That’s a dampener and then some! Tata has given us a car nobody had asked for, like the eKUV.
This is the exact car I want Tata to launch in the market. If they do not increase the prices, it's a steal for the taxi business compared to the Dzire taxi.
SKC-auto is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 12:58   #69
Senior - BHPian

I think a proper Tigor EV has a lot of potential in our market. Not only the commercial buyer, but a lot of private buyers will also be interested in Tigor EV. But it needs to have at least 250 km of range. It can be an ideal vehicle for many people whose daily running is about 40-60 km per day. I will prefer the Tigor EV to Altroz EV. Even though Altroz looks hot, a compact sedan is more practical than a hatchback anyway. And I don't think there will be much of a price difference.

The failure of Tigor ICE engines is not a valid factor here in my opinion. That car failed because it looked like an incomplete car in front of DZire and Amaze. The change in food habits changes everything. There is virtually no competition for Tigor EV in the market now.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 13:39   #70
Senior - BHPian

50 mm extra width, 5-10 mm reduced GC, and bit wider tires will make Tigor best looking sub 20L car in India.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 13:41   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Except for underpowered engines, Tigor was always the best looking, best built Compact sedan in the market (and dare I say, best handling one as well). Pity that JTP was not pursued for long. That was a hell of a package!

Now with EV, the performance part would be well taken care of. I expect Tigor EV will sell well. It won't revive the Tigor car in terms of sales, but will revive the Tigor brand (a cut above the boring Dzires/Xcents) at least.

Also, Off-topic, but I believe EV's will revive the Sedan body form again. Such quick acceleration and power need to have better handling and dynamics as well.
Tigor has its share of virtues, no doubt. But it is also a hard fact that the market has pretty much rejected it. It reflects in the sales numbers and has been that way for years now. Just like the Ford Aspire.

This car appeals to only those who really appreciate it, otherwise the mass market continues to be enamoured by the Dzire. Tigor sales are hardly 10% of those of Dzire. And the Indian market is such that once a car has had lukewarm to low response for some time, no number of iterations or changes can revive it.

The raised hatchback/compact SUV body style is ideal for EVs. Battery packs are mounted underfloor and these cars have the requisite ground clearance to enable that without having to raise the rear floor. Classic example is the Hyundai Kona, which suffers from poor GC as well as a bad seating position for the back seat due to the high floor. Even something like the Tesla Model 3 has poor under thigh support and forces rear passengers to sit in a knees up position.
Old 11th August 2021, 14:51   #72
BHPian

Pricing will make all the difference. 9 to 10 lakhs on road will set the sales charts on fire.

This is a good time to launch EV's as the government incentive helps in overall reduction of cost to the consumers.
Mafia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 15:15   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Rightly said. Not just dynamics, but also, aerodynamics — more range. The most efficient EV is still a sedan, the Model 3. SUVs with higher GC and boxy-er shape will always be less efficient than sedans.

On similar note, I wonder why Tata has not opted for Aero rims till now. Aero rims increased the Model 3 SR+ ranges by upto 5% (~16km/10mi) depending on speed.

A rather inexpensive and under-utilised way to increase range. Especially on highway. Being a smaller and lighter vehicle, Tata can easily add 10-20km range to their cars by simply using more aerodynamic rims.

This coupled with more aerodynamic cars than Nexon like presently discussed tigor EV and Altroz EV, can easily out-drive the Nexon even with same battery. Aftermarket is always possible but never as refined as OEM spec.

Car&Driver article to range test with aero rims
Shresth_EV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 19:29   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCi4Life View Post
As much as I would like to share the enthusiasm towards the advent of India's golden EV age, I have a few questions pertaining to the daily logistics. Kindly excuse my ignorance on the matter.

Assuming that the early adapters to current and upcoming EVs are mostly from metros/tier 2 cities, majority of its owners would be staying in buildings and not standalone homes. The most convinient avenue to charge would be in the parking area of your building. Unless housing societies take the initiative to set up charging ports in their overcrowded parking area, surely it isin't feasible to charge your EV anywhere else?

For current EV owners who stay in buildings/high rise apartments, where do you charge your vehicle?

Our country has some way to go before we can have a decent network of DC / high speed charging stations. I can only see EV owners who reside in bungalows/standalone homes possess the flexibility of installing their private charging ports (notwithstanding significant sum involved in said high-speed charging port). For someone living on the 10th floor of an apartment, I can't imagine the sheer torture that would be endured, just to get a charging port set up next to their allocated parking in their society.

I sincerely hope that early adapters and general enthusiasts are aware that charging times, costs and the set up involved is quite unlike charging our mobile phones.

Although some development is in progress, where is the standing infrastructure for such environmentally conscious indulgences available right now?

I will not open the glaring, broader issue of majority of the country still not having access to uninterrupted electricity for basic needs, let alone for the indulgence of charging their personal mode of transportation that costs few million rupees. That is elitist territory.

I don't intend to rain on the EV brigade's parade. Rather it is my pragmatism and part lack of knowledge, that has driven me to ask these elemental questions.
Really not as big of a problem as you think. Most apartments allow people to install a charge point at their parking spot. I have done so and so have a lot of other people. This home charger is provided and installed free of cost by the manufacturer. In addition, there are hundreds of fast chargers all across India. You can go to any major city and travel to other points within a few hundred kilometers using this fast charger network. For instance, a person living in Delhi can go to Agra, Jaipur, Chandigarh, Ludhiana, Amritsar and the hills stations of Shimla, Dharamshala, Mussoorie etc using the existing fast charger network. Similarly, a person living in Bombay can go to Lonavala, Pune and Goa with fast chargers available en route. There are no issues with uninterrupted power supply. Power cuts are extremely rare in Delhi NCR and there is power back up available in any case. Similarly, a lot of fast charger locations have back up generators as well. In addition, with a bit of research, one can find an establishment like a hotel or a restaurant to allow you to charge if needed. Remember, there is an electricity plug available in practically every building!
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 09:25   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Indeed! I surely do hope so. Nothing beats the vehicle dynamics of a sedan. I really don't understand this morbid fascination with SUVs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks