Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2021, 09:49   #16
BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz EQS offering rear-wheel steering as a subscription for $571 per year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
However, in certain markets like Germany, customers will have to pay a subscription amount to unlock the feature. Without the subscription, the rear wheels on the EQS will be limited to a 4.5-degree turn.
Frankly speaking, I hope this fails horribly. Mercedes deserve all the bad press this brings.

In my opinion, if this works, they would have opened the flood gates. It' won't be far, if companies started streaming advertisements over the infotainment system which will loudly blare their wares even if the volume is turned to zero. Don't like it? Pay a ransom per year to the company to switch it off.

I would rather stick with "dumb" vehicles as far as possible.
RedTerrano is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 11:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz EQS offering rear-wheel steering as a subscription for $571 per year

Pathetic to say the least.
Shame on you Mercedes for even thinking about it and this is for your flagship electric.

It is not the cost of the subscription, but the very fact that Mercedes wants to control some aspect of the car it has sold makes it frightening.

What next, pay to use the airbag? pay to use the seat belt?

I want it to fail miserably so not auto maker tries such stunt in the future.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 12:05   #18
k0p
BHPian

At this rate, raw material suppliers should start selling their products with some sort of subscription services as well. We will end up with continuous cash flows for the entire supply chain or pay per use for every micron of raw material. This subscription thing is getting out of hand.
Old 27th July 2021, 12:34   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The same guy who approved this incredibly dumb idea should check into a 5-star hotel whereon he enters the room, and is then told that there is an extra charge for hot water in the shower, and another extra charge for a water bottle.

Karma, dude! Small-thinking idiot. Doesn't suit Mercedes to be thinking like a small time kirana store.
GTO is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 09:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Stupid move - it'll bit them back in the rear end.

If car makers want to charge a subscription fee for something, they should provide an evolving (and improving) experience - like a map update (doubt too many do that today) or an imporving self driving algorithm.
Old 28th July 2021, 09:42   #21
BHPian

This subscription model makes sense for something like an OTT platform, but not for something which costs close to a duplex house. I dont get the point of restricting a function of a part which has been installed in a car. Reminds me of our Beat's speedometer(yeah this is some levels below the Merc but still feels like the same) functions which have been locked for our market.

Ather also had a similar subscription model for their scooters. I dont really know how it ended up. We ended up cancelling our booking because of the subscription thing.

Feels funny to see what kinds of heights a manufacturer like Mercedes is reaching to milk money out of the customer.
saikishor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 09:43   #22
BHPian

Soon there will be many aftermarket tuners who will unlock the rear wheel steering to it's full potential permanently with a software update. That will teach Mercedes a lesson.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 09:49   #23
BHPian

I don’t think this is stupid idea but need to be extended to lot other features. How about choosing any one from android auto or apple CarPlay. Same thing for navigation and other connected features, all of which I may not always want- remote start, auto parking or even even mechanical features like sunroof, automatic tailgate or even a cruise control. I am sure not all of us want all of these features. All this is good if it can provide cost benefit or value added options at reasonable price to customer. I only pay for what I want.

Taking it further how about engine subscription ��. Couple of years with 4 cylinders turbo petrol and move on to 6 cylinder diesel to dodge the mid life car crisis. I am game for it. Give me the option

Last edited by Wanderers : 28th July 2021 at 09:51.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 10:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Mercedes-Benz EQS will be offering its rear-wheel steering feature on a subscription basis in some markets.
Just like planned obsolescence, in-vehicle subscriptions are here to stay. Here's my objective take on this development.

While they may seem annoying, in-vehicle subscriptions offer numerous benefits for both the manufacturer and the buyer.

It is a manufacturer's dream to make vehicles as uniformly as possible. Making all vehicles mechanically-identically would mean:
  • Unique components that differentiate variants of the same vehicle would no longer be required, reducing overall development costs.
  • Reduced component costs, as the purchase quantities would be higher
  • Fewer disruptions on the assembly line, leading to faster production times and higher throughput.
Subscriptions would provide OEMs with multiple avenues to recover their development costs and secure their profits, since after-sales service and spares will cease to be a viable source of revenue in an electric future.

Pros for the consumer:
  • Buyers operating within a budget can unlock features as per their requirement, or whenever it is financially-viable for them.
  • Owners could potentially upgrade their car without having to modify anything mechanically, which could delay the need to purchase an all-new vehicle.

On the flip side, owners would have to deal with:
  • Annoying subscription renewal alerts.
  • In-car ads promoting unlockable features (yep, this will soon be a reality.)
  • Being constantly reminded about locked features.
In my opinion, manufacturers must offer the option of unlocking all features up front for a one-time fee. Moreover, they must ensure that subscriptions do not expire while the vehicle is in motion.

All that said, it would be nice if the subscription model were to be restricted to software features, especially within the infotainment system. Then again, with electric vehicles, the line between software and hardware has blurred beyond recognition.

Cheers!
Turbojc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 10:34   #25
BHPian

On the contrary to this stupid idea, imagine their reaction if customers start demanding a nice discount by removing this rear axel steering completely, both hardware and the software
SN88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 10:41   #26
BHPian

I welcome subscription models. But instead of time bound, it should be usage count bound. Instead of a year of self-parking, I would buy 10 counts of self-parking licenses. I may use it over 10 years or 10 months depending on where I usually park. Similar arrangements should be possible for connected car tech/apps. I should be able to pay 100 for GPS for one round trip to an unknown destination instead of 5000 for a five year subscription.

Extending subscription model outside the car factories, I would like the Indian government to offer subscription based road taxes - sort of like in the US. Instead of paying 2-2.5 lakhs up front for a life time tax, we should be able to pay 10K a year. This will lower the upfront payment, allow easy movement of cars across state boundaries and bring in the much needed leveling in the used car market.
sramanat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 10:42   #27
BANNED

The good thing here is that 4.5 is available for free. For most people, I think this will suffice. For such customers, the cost is a non-issue as they're never going to need it.

Only those who have to park in very tight spots will need this. For such customers, the additional cost is a non-issue as it's paying for itself by avoiding the scratches. If the inconvenience of making 5- or 7-point turns in place of 3-pointers matters, then again, this is a non-issue.

I don't see it as a problem at all. There are plenty more things that luxury car buyers are billed that don't even make sense. Like paying for M-package on a regular Bimmer for prices that will make you believe that it'll make the car faster.
MaheshY1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 11:46   #28
BHPian

I love Mercedes but I sincerely hope that someone takes them to the court for this foolishness of restricting the user from using a hardware, for which he had already paid during the car purchase!

Period.
Old 28th July 2021, 11:47   #29
BHPian

The question is not about EQS charging additional subscription for a hardware feature that is already there, the question is about how the automakers think that this is the financial model for the future. I'm sure someone buying a EQC will not bother about this meager fee. This will be a loose change to him but say if it filters down to mass market and all of a sudden you're asked to pay monthly/yearly fees to enjoy your TPMS, navigation, 360camera etc. or heck even higher battery range and things like that. I think with the invent of EVs where there are less mechanical parts to go wrong and replace, automakers probably think subscription model is the only way to milk their existing customers.
Old 28th July 2021, 12:00   #30
BHPian

Quite honestly, i think this should be the model for the future where you can do infinite customizations based on your needs and preferences. This was you don't end up paying for things you don't need or value or you can use the feature only when you need it.

Ideally, it should reduce the base cost and these add-ons can be picked based on your need. I for one would like to see more pay and use models. Why pay upfront for stuff that you never use?
dsvikki is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks