Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2021, 16:42   #31
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon EV Max, launched at Rs. 17.74 lakh (pg 18)

How much would this increase provide to the range in real time use, can someone throw some light on this? Also with geo political issues the technology needs to get localized soon. Hoping that Tata Motors will make big strides in EVs and spread it across the range.
Have a diesel Nexon and if I change the blue Nexon EV is top choice.
Old 27th August 2021, 19:33   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
The MID behind the steering wheel is exactly the same. So it does have that current flow graphic screen.
That's a huge relief, thanks a lot for confirming.

Quote:
Also, cruise control uses brakes rather than regen which is a bummer.
Can you confirm on the cruise control - regen braking. In the test drive i had specifically kept an eye out (after reading international reviews on the similar "Adaptive" cruise control issues- thought it was the problem on the "Adaptive" algo). Need to recheck this one because i remember the Exclusive i test drove - definitely went into regen with cruise at 60 and coming down a flyover with the regen current values also showing up.
taking out cuise control-regen based on the model is impossible unless they dumbed it down along with the infotainment.
can imagine some other processor/module which exists on Exclusive but not on Excite for the infotainment & addons. cruise control - wouldn't this be on the drivetrain core something common?

Quote:
The Excite is a far better option imo. 3.5L lesser. Doesnt have the fake leather seats, no "Internet Inside" badge, no heat from sunroof. Also, the euro crash test was performed on the excite model. I do not trust the sunroof models to have the same structural integrity as the base models. Sunroof models are almost never crash tested because always only base models are tested.
Yup, +1 for Excite
Sunroof - heat plus damage possibility. i remember a friend's car roof damaged due to a fallen branch, dont want to imagine that with a pano sun roof
Connectivity - loads of info, fun for a few days. But i end up hypermilling my phone (with data & apps closed) - 3-4 days battery life easily. Might end up doing that with the car too...
Need an Exclusive variant owner to figure whether these realy add value on a long run.
The Exclusive had all the power consuming addons - electric seat adjustment, power fold, sensors/auto operated lights/wipers & more. Its a big deal for me, even if it takes 1% out of 100.
I would have loved it if they got the Eco+ mode (like the one Kona has)
Old 30th August 2021, 23:50   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Also, cruise control uses brakes rather than regen which is a bummer.
Would you be willing to do a small test drive:
Reason being i remember the regen kicking in with cruise set and the MID showing a negative Amperage.
But this was an Exclusive variant.
Since, you are having the Excite variant. I just wanted to cross check whether the 2 variants do react differently(in any eventuality as improbable as it may seem)

Basically want to test the 2 variants in a similar scenario.

I do know that some of the older type of basic (passive) cruise control could accelerate and hold the speed but could not control it down hills and could even go over if the slope gets too steep. But i thought newer vehicles with advanced Cruise controls (one's integrated with brakes) could accelerate as well as brake to keep the speed constant.

Going thrugh international forums and product details i noticed in the international brochure that the MG ZS EV base model does not have Hill Decent control whereas the higher variant gets it(indicated in the attached brochure below).
Does that mean the lower variant does not detect the decent and appropriately utilize the regen because of this missing feature. Could somehow absence of "Hill Decent control" make it the base version of cruise control and the higher variant the second type.
Although in India both the variants seem to have this feature could this be just a code fix where they ended up utilizing the brakes instead of the regen.

I could see mixed reviews, but somehow could not figure out the variants they have. While i am thinking on a purchase, i am hoping to find owners - one of each trim who could verify this. To verify if the higher end does regen down the slope with a set speed but the base variant does not.

Do not want to saddled with the version that does not do regen

PFB the brochure for reference
Page 9->Features->Safety->Hill descent control

https://mgmotor.eu/storage/images/mo...V-brochure.pdf
Old 12th October 2021, 21:36   #34
BHPian

My friend recently visited a Tata dealership nearby to check out the Nexon EV and was informed by one of the employees' he personally knows to wait for 3 months as Tata was planning to launch the vehicle with the upgraded battery .
@og_adi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 23:17   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a Transport Department document, Tata Motors is working on a new version of the Nexon EV with a more powerful electric motor.

Attachment 2197996

The new version uses a Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor that produces 134 BHP @ 4,000 rpm. It is powered by a 30.2 kWh lithium-ion battery pack
So the new motor in the pipeline is an AC three phase motor. Is the current motor doing duty in the Nexon AC or DC?

Points to consider.

An AC synchronous motor speed is locked to the AC supply frequency. Motor speed can be varied only by changing the supply frequency. For a DC motor, speed has be varied by altering the DC supply voltage.

For the new motor, the battery shall first drive a variable frequency generator. This signal has to be split into three phases 120° apart. After that, each phase shall be amplified by a dedicated power amplifier section. The AC frequency output of the frequency generator section shall be controlled by the accelerator to control the motor speed. The torque of the AC motor shall be constant irrespective of the supply frequency. The supply voltage shall have no effect on the motor torque. If the voltage falls bellow the operating voltage range, the motor shall stall, so it is either full performance or no performance.

Off course, if the current drivetrain is also AC, then it shall be a minor change, but if it is DC, then a huge one.

Regards,
Anwesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 03:06   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anwesh View Post
So the new motor in the pipeline is an AC three phase motor. Is the current motor doing duty in the Nexon AC or DC?

Points to consider.

An AC synchronous motor speed is locked to the AC supply frequency. Motor speed can be varied only by changing the supply frequency. For a DC motor, speed has be varied by altering the DC supply voltage.

For the new motor, the battery shall first drive a variable frequency generator. This signal has to be split into three phases 120° apart. After that, each phase shall be amplified by a dedicated power amplifier section. The AC frequency output of the frequency generator section shall be controlled by the accelerator to control the motor speed. The torque of the AC motor shall be constant irrespective of the supply frequency. The supply voltage shall have no effect on the motor torque. If the voltage falls bellow the operating voltage range, the motor shall stall, so it is either full performance or no performance.

Off course, if the current drivetrain is also AC, then it shall be a minor change, but if it is DC, then a huge one.

Regards,
Existing version also has a AC PMS motor. Three phase or not is the question, since that is not mentioned. Though, the part about it being a PMSM is mentioned in official brochure.

https://tatacars.sipradi.com.np/asse...chure-2021.pdf
Old 20th October 2021, 10:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

It seems that Tata is now testing the new version of the Nexon EV, found this on a recently uploaded Youtube video, not sure how authentic it is.

Skip to 2:10 onwards to view the test car. At 3:12 - One can see the high voltage cable dangle under the carriage, quite scary if its severed /scrapped in motion due to a stone or any impact.

tj123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 20:11   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
It seems that Tata is now testing the new version of the Nexon EV, found this on a recently uploaded Youtube video, not sure how authentic it is.

Skip to 2:10 onwards to view the test car. At 3:12 - One can see the high voltage cable dangle under the carriage, quite scary if its severed /scrapped in motion due to a stone or any impact.
Even the current in production Nexon EV has the HV cable exposed at the bottom. It is simply tied with zip ties!
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 18:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

Longer range Tata Nexon EV launch by mid-2022.

Nexon EV to get bigger 40kWh battery. Will be sold alongside 30.2kWh variant.

The Tata Nexon EV Max, launched at Rs. 17.74 lakh (pg 18)-smartselect_20211224184932_twitter.jpg

Quote:
The long range Nexon EV will get an upgraded battery pack of 40kWh capacity, a significant 30 percent increase from the current model’s 30.2kWh version.
Quote:
The higher capacity battery will boost range to over 400km on the official test cycle
Quote:
Another major addition to the new Nexon EV will be selectable re-gen modes which will allow the driver to adjust the intensity of the regenerative braking which in turn improves range.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 24th December 2021 at 18:50.
Venkatesh is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 20:52   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Nexon EV to get bigger 40kWh battery. Will be sold alongside 30.2kWh variant.
Any info on pricing?
Old 24th December 2021, 22:47   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Any info on pricing?
As per the quoted source (Autocar), it is expected to push the price by 3-4 lakhs. This roughly falls in the territory of ZS EV base version.

While MG is trying to reduce the battery capacity, Tata is trying to increase battery capacity. interesting times ahead.
prasanna_indaje is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 08:08   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
As per the quoted source (Autocar), it is expected to push the price by 3-4 lakhs. This roughly falls in the territory of ZS EV base version.

While MG is trying to reduce the battery capacity, Tata is trying to increase battery capacity. interesting times ahead.
If the updated Nexon is priced about par with the base ZS, it will be a very very hard sell. The interiors, cabin quality, trims, ergonomics, fit and finish and overall feel of the ZS are far more superior and premium. It also supports proper DC fast charging. Nexon is essentially a 12L Rupee car and it shows. As it is, the current Nexon EV feels expensive, especially in states where there is no subsidy.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 10:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
That's good news, Tata needs to undercut MG by a lakh or two to make it a success. MG ZS retails at 21L ex showroom for the base version. The top end Nexon with bigger battery needs to be cheaper than this to make sense for buying public.

Net Net, the advantages of Nexon EV over MG ZS EV are
- Build Quality
- Superb ride and handling
- Access to TATA ecosystem for charging.

But it does lose to ZS in
- Features set
- Space
speedmiester is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 11:22   #44
BHPian

This is a great news for the evolution of the entire ecosystem.

The increase in range for Nexon EV creeps into the current ZS EV range territory, but then, my guess is, MG themselves will come out with two variants - one with the lower range that gets into the territory of the current Nexon EV and the other with higher range of around 400-450 kilometres. End of the day, it is the customer that would benefit.

Having said all this, IMHO, the sweet spot for the EV's is roughly 150kM-200kM primarily targeted for city runs in the price range of roughly 10L. With evolving city and highway charging infra, an EV with lower range is never going to be disadvantaged in any manner.

Overall, it is a win-win for the consumer.

Cheers

Last edited by Aditya : 26th December 2021 at 04:31. Reason: Abbreviations
Early_Adopter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 09:10   #45
BHPian

MG is probably going to get the ADAS and similar features in EV next year. If Nexon is not undercutting by 2 Lakhs, it becomes a easy choice, unless MG has supply constraints.
Sidban85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed