Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2022, 19:56   #391
BHPian

Re: The Tata Nexon EV Max, launched at Rs. 17.74 lakh (pg 18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokengrip View Post
I m assuming you have a post 2012 Punto with the raised suspension. I m still not sure you are right because we have both the Punto and the ZS EV. We live in Coorg and you have to be super careful with the Punto while Driving it on the unpaved roads of the estate. Lot of Diagnol traversing. With the ZS EV you just drive without thinking. This despite running the ZS EV at psi 33.
How is the ZS EV's ride quality at 33psi?

In my test drives, the ride quality was quite poor with almost every bump filtering in. Was wondering whether it was only due to the test drive cars running at 43-44psi (which seems to be MG's advise). Does lowering the pressure to 33psi make the ride any better?

My benchmark is the Nexon's ride quality (for obvious reasons). Is it anywhere close to that?
Old 13th May 2022, 19:59   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
I am little cautious about Tata introducing their EVs under the same brand name as their main selling stable
I'd say it is the other way round. The success of Nexon EV over the last 2 years has actually strengthened Tata Motors' reputation in the market as a forward-thinking automobile manufacturer with a holistic & futuristic roadmap for its products. When I was at Tata Motors dealership to pick my Nexon EV, I was pleasantly surprised by reactions from prospective customers who had come there to take a look at ICE cars - they were admiring the EVs as if those were concept cars, something from the future India is far far behind when it comes to basic awareness about EVs, let alone owning one - in such a scenario, these cars have a certain aura around them, and a manufacturer that is producing the only mainstream EV in the country at the moment, is bound to earn positive brand value. Hats off to Tata Motors for taking the lead on this front and providing us with a practical, reasonably-priced EV. I hope Mahindra picks some cues from them and make the EV market in India more vibrant and attractive.
cool_dube is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 20:09   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
Does lowering the pressure to 33psi make the ride any better?
The ride quality at 33 psi is fantastic to be honest. My dad who is moving on from an Innova has never complained and he hated the Ecosport (the other car we have) as he found it too stiff. I haven't ever test driven the Nexon EV, so will not be able to compare it against the ZS EV

The downside may be a slight loss of range. The car currently gives about 325 kms in real world conditions with level 3 regen at this psi if driven at 80-100kms per hr... Again we live in a rural environment albeit with a lot of hills.
Tokengrip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 21:14   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Either Tata is overly confident of its offering or it is moving on the 'Nano' path.
I will revisit this post after 2, 3 years and see if I am being overly cautious.
This is the third year of the Nexon EV, how time flies! Feels like it was only launched yesterday.
shortbread is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 21:28   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
I have this query about AT gear selector. Why is the R in between? Why should the user need to go through R when moving from N to P? Shouldn't it be in the extreme end, as in R-P-N-D ?
Normal use case is you drive (D), come to halt (N) and then park it (P).
I have seen this in some AT cars in bumper to bumper traffic where when the driver tries to moves one inch, he shifts the gear selector and the rear back lights turns on for a second. Which means the selector went through R.
All automatic cars have the same procedure. There is no need for an automatic vehicle to change to N at stoplights. Those drivers are unaware of how to use an automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
Is it possible to move from "P" to "D" and "D" to "P" in one motion (maybe through a twist-and-hold action) ? It would be very annoying to make 3 twists to move between these.
You only need to do this once when you start and once again when you stop the vehicle to park it. Hardly an extreme hardship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps_abhijith View Post
Though this looks like a really cool feature, looking at the experiences users have with TATAs infotainment and dashboard screens freezing / restarting or just being non responsive, imagine the plight of a user when the screen freezes up or just stop working. I would have preferred a physical selector rather than something like this. How would one know which gear they are currently in?
The existing dial on the older model was the same. All that has been added is illumination. In any case, you will see the current gear displayed on the instrument cluster. So even without the gear lever display, you can easily see the gear you are selecting. In any case, this only has to be done once when you start the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
Has TATA removed Sports mode from EV Max?
It is still there. The running person icon near the gear selector dial is the sports mode and the icon with leaves is the eco mode.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 22:10   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
This is the third year of the Nexon EV, how time flies! Feels like it was only launched yesterday.
I am hoping in 2, 3 years we will have significant sales/on road presence to make an opinion. EV were launched quite a long ago, read Mahindra Reva, which was discontinued due to falling sales year by year. EV never made it to the masses like it is about to do now in the next 2, 3 years.
Old 13th May 2022, 23:00   #397
BHPian

Quote:
I am hoping in 2, 3 years we will have significant sales/on road presence to make an opinion. EV were launched quite a long ago, read Mahindra Reva, which was discontinued due to falling sales year by year. EV never made it to the masses like it is about to do now in the next 2, 3 years.
I feel I am reading a discussion from 2 years ago. Is there a glitch? I drive a nexon ev and I literally spot a different NEV every two or three minutes when I take my daily drive to office 15 kms away. In Pune the NEV density is a lot higher it seems. The 2 to 3 years down the line is literally right now if you consider Pune at least.
psbali is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 00:49   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokengrip View Post
I m assuming you have a post 2012 Punto with the raised suspension. I m still not sure you are right because we have both the Punto and the ZS EV
I have no experience with the ZS EV except for kneeling next to it and sticking my hand under it to see how it compares with my (raised) Punto. Clearance was less than the Punto in the battery pack area. But it’s heartening to hear that you can get around unpaved roads with no hassle. I’m still thinking about the ZS, which is a car I like.
Old 14th May 2022, 01:03   #399
BHPian

Quote:
I think Tata is going too early into the EV segment with its top selling brands.
They should introduce other brands under the EV segment and derisk their Nexons and Altrozs
EVs in India are still half baked package and we have seen smaller vehicles getting riders in trouble already.
It is a huge risk which Tata is taking on its brand value.
There is no four wheeler EV burning incidence as of now.
No one got robbed/killed due to lack of charge on a secluded highway while driving an EV.
No accidents involving EVs wherein lives lost were due to batteries rather than anything else.

Either Tata is overly confident of its offering or it is moving on the 'Nano' path.
I will revisit this post after 2, 3 years and see if I am being overly cautious.
What TATA is doing with its EVs have made the company capture 96.26% of the EV market share in our country. There is no other vehicle better than the Nexon which could have achieved this commendable fete for TATA. With bookings for 15,000 vehicles and plans of launching three affordable electric cars in the coming 12-18 months, the maker of the Nexon EV is confident of scaling upon its early advantage.

The company has guaranteed its vendors on an assured production plan of 50,000 EVs in fiscal 2023 and scale it up to 125,000-150,000 units annually in the following two years. If it is able to deliver on the targets, the EV business could potentially generate revenue of Rs 5,000 crore for Tata Motors in FY23 itself. Hence there is absolutely no risk Tata is taking on its brand value.

With the Altroz EV, it will only up the game of Tata Motors in the EV segment as the hatchback unlike the Nexon and the Tigor have been designed to incorporate an EV variant right from the stages of its development. Tata will position it as a Premium Urban EV that will have a realistic range of 300 Kms within a price bracket of 14 Lakhs which is going to be an unbeatable value for money considering the diesel XZ+ variant costs almost 13 Lakhs on road and i20 diesel costs almost 14 Lakhs on road for the top variant.

Your statement that EVs in India are half baked packages may hold true only to a certain extent with regard to the two wheeler segment but not with 4 wheeler segment at all. All 4 wheeler EV manufacturers provide an IP67 rated motor and battery packs offering upto 8 years of warranty. What more do customers want? This clearly shows the confidence of the company in its engineering and its products.

Nano was more of a marketing failure and never an engineering faliure.
Adorablejim is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 09:49   #400
bkc
BHPian

Is, nexon EV max also AIS 048 certified? I don't see that in the brochure.

Anyone with the info, kindly confirm.
Old 14th May 2022, 11:25   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorablejim View Post
What TATA is doing with its EVs have made the company capture 96.26% of the EV market share in our country.
I second your comments for Tata Motors, Nexon EV and the Nano. I believe for those who do 10,000+ kms in a year, EV's are a boon.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 14th May 2022 at 16:15. Reason: Please quote only relevant sections of the post
Jattitude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 14:51   #402
BHPian

How much time would it take for a full charge using 3.3 KW charger? Their website does not have any information on this. A 3.3 charger would be good enough to charge 80% in 10-12 Hours? Is it advisable to spend 50k more and go for 7.2 charger variant?
Old 14th May 2022, 16:03   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo roast View Post
How much time would it take for a full charge using 3.3 KW charger?
The Nexon EV Max takes around 15 to 16 hours to fully charge with the 3.3kW AC charger, while the 7.2kW AC version takes around five to six hours. Tata Motors claims a charging time of 56 minutes from 0-80 percent via a conventional 50kW DC fast charger.

Above para sourced from The Hindu newspaper. 13th May, 2022.
unoczar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 16:27   #404
BHPian

Some updated information on Ac charger with regards to Nexon Ev Max.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon EV Max, launched at Rs. 17.74 lakh (pg 18)-7b83f94564384015b6929428c43c5fe1.jpeg  

The Tata Nexon EV Max, launched at Rs. 17.74 lakh (pg 18)-f58b51940a9d4336a2e566333f28c2b2.jpeg  

The Tata Nexon EV Max, launched at Rs. 17.74 lakh (pg 18)-75cd15653d9a44fe91973dfdc8193b85.jpeg  

The Tata Nexon EV Max, launched at Rs. 17.74 lakh (pg 18)-edfd18dba7264d32807365ca683d2be9.jpeg  

The Tata Nexon EV Max, launched at Rs. 17.74 lakh (pg 18)-424ce290b5b54b68b14c2ca299c30ba6.jpeg  

XRoader_001 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 19:18   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo roast View Post
How much time would it take for a full charge using 3.3 KW charger? Their website does not have any information on this. A 3.3 charger would be good enough to charge 80% in 10-12 Hours? Is it advisable to spend 50k more and go for 7.2 charger variant?
The 3KW charger normally runs at around 2.5KW. So it would charge at an approximate rate of 5 to 6% per hour. If you are at 0% (unlikely) then it would take around 15 hours to get to 80%. However, most people charge with at least 20 to 30% charge remaining. So you would be able to get to 80% in 12 hours if you start from at least 20% state of charge. Personally, I feel that the 3KW charger is fine for most needs. If you drive around 100kms each day, you would use around 35% to 40% capacity. Hence all you need is 7 to 8 hours to bring it back up to 80%.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed