Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2021, 11:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon EV Max, launched at Rs. 17.74 lakh (pg 18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradheepsr View Post
Hello all
Anyone in this forum purchased/driving a Nexon EV in a tier 3 city?
If so please share your experiences with particular reference to home charger setup and after sales service requirements.
There are a few guys in the Goa Nexon EV Group who live in villages. In fact, other than Panjim, no other part of Goa is a city. Panjim probably falls in the Tier 3 or lower category.
So far no one has had any issue with the home charger set up.
I have booked the Nexon EV. Will share my experience after delivery.
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 14:19   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Net Net, the advantages of Nexon EV over MG ZS EV are
- Build Quality
- Superb ride and handling
- Access to TATA ecosystem for charging.

But it does lose to ZS in
- Features set
- Space
Access to Tata ecosystem for changing is not an advantage at all. Any EV can use Tata chargers. I use them all the time in my ZS. There is no special advantage for a Nexon. In fact the Nexon has very slow charging capability with AC charging limited to 3KW vs. 7KW on the MG and DC limited to 25KW vs. 75KW on the MG.
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 15:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Access to Tata ecosystem for changing is not an advantage at all. Any EV can use Tata chargers. I use them all the time in my ZS. There is no special advantage for a Nexon. In fact the Nexon has very slow charging capability with AC charging limited to 3KW vs. 7KW on the MG and DC limited to 25KW vs. 75KW on the MG.
Charging capacity aside, Tata has an entire ecosystem aside from Tata motors, one can even I request for a charging facility at any Tata motors dealers or service centres, this includes their commercial vehicles centres as well as their stores like Croma. That's an advantage.
speedmiester is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 19:01   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Charging capacity aside, Tata has an entire ecosystem aside from Tata motors, one can even I request for a charging facility at any Tata motors dealers or service centres, this includes their commercial vehicles centres as well as their stores like Croma. That's an advantage.
As I clearly stated earlier, any EV can use the charging network you have mentioned and any EV can request charging from their dealers and commercial vehicle centres. In any case there is no need to do so now as there are plenty of chargers available.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 20:17   #50
BHPian

Quote:
As I clearly stated earlier, any EV can use the charging network you have mentioned and any EV can request charging from their dealers and commercial vehicle centres. In any case there is no need to do so now as there are plenty of chargers available.
I don’t think an MG can go to TASS and request access for a 16 A socket. If it is Nexon, there are higher chances of them agreeing to slow charge. Clearly, Tata has higher number of touch points than MG as of now.

I will not be an advantage as public charging infrastructure increases.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 21:11   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Prasanna has clearly articulated the advantage Tata has over MG.
Quote:
I don’t think an MG can go to TASS and request access for a 16 A socket. If it is Nexon, there are higher chances of them agreeing to slow charge. Clearly, Tata has higher number of touch points than MG as of now.
Besides, I know Tata regional managers have helped a lot of Nexon EV owners with charging facilities within TATA ecosystem when they needed. I don't think MG has that pull as of now.

Tata needs to bring in additional features into Nexon EV when they launch with the higher capacity battery. The two major omissions are Cruise control and adjustable regen. The latter is slated to be launched as per news, but no news of the former.
Nexon ICE already comes with cruise control so it's not a big deal to offer it in the EV version.
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 21:18   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post

I will not be an advantage as public charging infrastructure increases.
We are flogging a dead horse endlessly. The biggest network is that of Tata Power chargers and any EV can access them. As far as requesting a 16A plug from some Tata dealer or workshop, MG or any other EV can do so as well. In Jodhpur, Tata Motors workshop allowed me to connect my MG. However, 16A can be found at any hotel, restaurant, home, office etc. Why get fixated on only Tata dealerships? Every building has electricity. In Jodhpur several hotels were ok with me charging there. Now, just two months later, we already have a charger in Jodhpur. So this is a moot issue with many new chargers coming up each week.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 21:51   #53
BHPian

Quote:
We are flogging a dead horse endlessly. The biggest network is that of Tata Power chargers and any EV can access them. As far as requesting a 16A plug from some Tata dealer or workshop, MG or any other EV can do so as well. In Jodhpur, Tata Motors workshop allowed me to connect my MG. However, 16A can be found at any hotel, restaurant, home, office etc. Why get fixated on only Tata dealerships? Every building has electricity. In Jodhpur several hotels were ok with me charging there. Now, just two months later, we already have a charger in Jodhpur. So this is a moot issue with many new chargers coming up each week.
Good for those Tata guys if they have allowed a fellow MG user to use their 16 A socket. Not everyone would do that.

And as for knocking every door around for 16 A, can be done if there willingness.

Chargers are coming up fast. But not that fast everywhere. Till there is a charger every 100 kms on every major highway, Tata will have better reach.

Would not discuss further over a moot issue !
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 09:21   #54
BHPian

Good news. Hope they have the larger capacity battery on all variants and not just on the top end.
Old 27th December 2021, 10:48   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Good for those Tata guys if they have allowed a fellow MG user to use their 16 A socket. Not everyone would do that.

And as for knocking every door around for 16 A, can be done if there willingness.

Chargers are coming up fast. But not that fast everywhere. Till there is a charger every 100 kms on every major highway, Tata will have better reach.

Would not discuss further over a moot issue !
I don't want to prolong this needless debate either. I reiterate that any official charger provided by Tata is open to all EVs. There is no provision of charging only for the Nexon at any Tata dealership or Croma as you have been constantly alluding. So, no, Tata does not have any kind of better reach at all. You are more likely to be allowed to charge at a hotel or restaurant than at any vehicle dealer regardless of which EV you own. In any case, slow charging takes over 12 hours and is best done overnight at your hotel. In an emergency, I can reach out to Volkswagen or Jaguar just as much as Tata as all of them have electricity and whether they allow it depends on the inclination of the staff rather than the brand of EV one is driving. So, please remove this misconception from your mind.
Old 27th December 2021, 11:27   #56
BHPian

Quote:
I don't want to prolong this needless debate either. I reiterate that any official charger provided by Tata is open to all EVs. There is no provision of charging only for the Nexon at any Tata dealership or Croma as you have been constantly alluding. So, no, Tata does not have any kind of better reach at all. You are more likely to be allowed to charge at a hotel or restaurant than at any vehicle dealer regardless of which EV you own. In any case, slow charging takes over 12 hours and is best done overnight at your hotel. In an emergency, I can reach out to Volkswagen or Jaguar just as much as Tata as all of them have electricity and whether they allow it depends on the inclination of the staff rather than the brand of EV one is driving. So, please remove this misconception from your mind.
Again, What is an official charger ? If it is Tata Power fast charger, it is open to all and any supported EV can be charged there.

What myself and couple of other friends referring is availability of Tata service stations (or other Tata establishments) , which can be used in case of emergency with the help from Tata as an organization. This will NOT be available for MG or any other non- Tata vehicle.

To simplify further, I am traveling from Mangalore (22m) to Mysore (763m), Which is approximately 260 Kms with a ghat section in between, Nexon will not be able to do this distance in a single charge. There are NO fast chargers in between, But there are Tata service stations in Puttur and Madikeri (Coorg), which can be used to slow charge for an hour or two so that reaching Mysore is trouble free.

Well, one can always search for 16A plugs in plugshare and go for it. But that will not negate advantage of Tata's availability as service station will come with a lounge and backup power, which may or may not be available at hotels or other places.

This is my point of view and if there is a disagreement, lets agree to disagree and end this here !
prasanna_indaje is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 14:26   #57
BHPian

Quote:
As per the quoted source (Autocar), it is expected to push the price by 3-4 lakhs. This roughly falls in the territory of ZS EV base version.
10kWh extra will cost about $1400 at the current rate, that is about 1.2 Lakhs. Add a bit for taxes, but 3-4 lakhs seems steep.
I am hoping they bring a few more features like cruise control and adjustable regen.

With more batteries, may be they can push more amps through the pack and increase the fast charging speed to 50kW. There are some features which are non negotiable on a 17 lakh car
mohanphadnis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 15:11   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Again, What is an official charger ? If it is Tata Power fast charger, it is open to all and any supported EV can be charged there.

What myself and couple of other friends referring is availability of Tata service stations (or other Tata establishments) , which can be used in case of emergency with the help from Tata as an organization. This will NOT be available for MG or any other non- Tata vehicle.

To simplify further, I am traveling from Mangalore (22m) to Mysore (763m), Which is approximately 260 Kms with a ghat section in between, Nexon will not be able to do this distance in a single charge. There are NO fast chargers in between, But there are Tata service stations in Puttur and Madikeri (Coorg), which can be used to slow charge for an hour or two so that reaching Mysore is trouble free.

Well, one can always search for 16A plugs in plugshare and go for it. But that will not negate advantage of Tata's availability as service station will come with a lounge and backup power, which may or may not be available at hotels or other places.

This is my point of view and if there is a disagreement, lets agree to disagree and end this here !
Only Tata Power chargers are official chargers and are open to all EVs. These are the only official chargers as per Tata. Apart from that anyone driving any EV can go to a Tata service centre or dealer. There is no official policy that states Nexon EVs are allowed to charge at any Tata establishment. Any EV owner can request it and depending on the mood of the employees there, they might or might not permit it. They might offer tea or coffee as well. I have been offered coffee at several Tata showrooms while charging. Show me any official statement from Tata that suggests Nexon EVs will be allowed to charge at any Tata group establishment and that any other brand of EVs would be prohibited. In fact, Tata and MG have a partnership where they share chargers at several locations. Earlier when Tata chargers were free in North India, MG EVs used them for free as well. Obviously a Kona or eTron could have done so as well. Anyway, as you said, let's end it here

Last edited by Aditya : 28th December 2021 at 04:41. Reason: Toning down
Old 27th December 2021, 15:23   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanphadnis View Post
10kWh extra will cost about $1400 at the current rate, that is about 1.2 Lakhs. Add a bit for taxes, but 3-4 lakhs seems steep.
I am hoping they bring a few more features like cruise control and adjustable regen.

With more batteries, may be they can push more amps through the pack and increase the fast charging speed to 50kW. There are some features which are non negotiable on a 17 lakh car
True. I was just quoting what was mentioned in the article.

Quote:
Only Tata Power chargers are official chargers and are open to all EVs. These are the only official chargers as per Tata. Apart from that anyone driving any EV can go to a Tata service centre or dealer. There is no official policy that states Nexon EVs are allowed to charge at any Tata establishment. Any EV owner can request it and depending on the mood of the employees there, they might or might not permit it. They might offer tea or coffee as well. I have been offered coffee at several Tata showrooms while charging. Show me any official statement from Tata that suggests Nexon EVs will be allowed to charge at any Tata group establishment and that any other brand of EVs would be prohibited. In fact, Tata and MG have a partnership where they share chargers at several locations. Earlier when Tata chargers were free in North India, MG EVs used them for free as well. Obviously a Kona or eTron could have done so as well. Anyway, as you said, let's end it here
You forget to mention whether you are using a fast charging facility or 16 A socket. Whatever you are mentioning above holds good for a fast charger and not for regular 16A socket.

Just call some random Tata showroom which does not have a fast charger and ask the if they will allow to slow charge your MG. As you mentioned they may or they may not. But, with Tata, I can escalate to Tata officials and get the access, if they decline !

Last edited by Aditya : 28th December 2021 at 04:42. Reason: Toning down
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 15:46   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Just call some random Tata showroom which does not have a fast charger and ask the if they will allow to slow charge your MG. As you mentioned they may or they may not. But, with Tata, I can escalate to Tata officials and get the access, if they decline !
What you are describing is asking for a favour, not an official method which is evident from your statement that the Tata establishment might decline the request. That way I also know quite a few senior managers in both Tata Power as well as Tata Motors and they would also make a call to request access if needed. However this is not an official method. End of the day, it doesn't make any difference which EV I have. Please show me an official policy it you want to credibly dispute this point.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th December 2021 at 04:46. Reason: Toning down
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks