Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2021, 18:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Tata Nexon EV Max, launched at Rs. 17.74 lakh (pg 18)

Mod Note: Our Tata Nexon EV Max Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

According to a Transport Department document, Tata Motors is working on a new version of the Nexon EV with a more powerful electric motor.

The Tata Nexon EV Max, launched at Rs. 17.74 lakh (pg 18)-tatanexonpowerupgradespecsleak.jpg

The new version uses a Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor that produces 134 BHP @ 4,000 rpm. It is powered by a 30.2 kWh lithium-ion battery pack with a capacity of 94.5 Ah. As per the document, the average energy consumption of the vehicle is 119.6 Wh/km.

At present, the Nexon EV's electric motor develops 127 BHP. The ARAI certified range of the vehicle is 312 km (MIDC cycle).

Tata Motors is also working on the Altroz EV which is expected to get a larger battery pack offering 25-40% more range. The same battery is likely to be offered in the Nexon EV as well.

Source: Rushlane

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 17th May 2022 at 09:12. Reason: Link to review added
TusharK is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 18:24   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon EV Max, launched at Rs. 17.74 lakh (pg 18)

What's the point upgrading from 127BHP to 134 BHP? Is the current motor going end of sale? Interestingly, the new motor is also from the same vendor "Shanghai Auto Edrive Co. Ltd".
anandpadhye is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 18:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a Transport Department document, Tata Motors is working on a new version of the Nexon EV with a more powerful electric motor.
Absolutely makes no difference if the battery capacity is not increased.
Power was never in short supply in the Nexon EV, it is the battery capacity that needed an increase.
Don't see how this could affect the range of Nexon EV.

A 35-40KWH battery is what's needed in the Nexon and provide a faster DC charging capacity up from the current 25KW. I will be first in line to put my money on it.
speedmiester is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 19:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Absolutely makes no difference if the battery capacity is not increased.
Power was never in short supply in the Nexon EV, it is the battery capacity that needed an increase.
Don't see how this could affect the range of Nexon EV.

A 35-40KWH battery is what's needed in the Nexon and provide a faster DC charging capacity up from the current 25KW. I will be first in line to put my money on it.
Unless the motor is now more efficient and at the same time more powerful.

We all know how rapidly things change in electrical/electronics (more so in the latter).

EDIT: Off the hand calculation shows a range of 250 odd KMs for the new motor (30KWh capacity with consumption of 119Wh/km). So it does seem like a change for the worse

Last edited by racer_ash : 25th August 2021 at 19:05. Reason: added off hand calculations
racer_ash is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 19:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

Attachment 2197996

The new version uses a Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor that produces 134 BHP @ 4,000 rpm. It is powered by a 30.2 kWh lithium-ion battery pack with a capacity of 94.5 Ah. As per the document, the average energy consumption of the vehicle is 119.6 Wh/km.
A higher rated motor (Or it can be the same motor unlocked for a slightly higher current draw) will result in slightly better efficiency under acceleration as the power draw can be kept at a better lowered efficient band.

But still, without upgrading the capacity of the battery pack, there won't be much difference in their range.

Mostly this homologation was done a new motor with some small changes (Re-approval is required for any change).
starke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 20:54   #6

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 26th August 2021 at 09:08.
Bluto18 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th August 2021, 21:07   #7
BHPian

I don't understand why Tata can't simply slap in a manual/automatic transmission unit and solve the range problem! Even the manual transmission from the ICE Nexon would make so much sense. It would result in both: higher range & higher power. They'll kill two birds with one stone!

Yes, I understand that costs would further increase, but they can introduce it as an option at least.

Last edited by Big Smoke : 25th August 2021 at 21:08.
Big Smoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 21:16   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
I don't understand why Tata can't simply slap in a manual/automatic transmission unit and solve the range problem! Even the manual transmission from the ICE Nexon would make so much sense. It would result in both: higher range & higher power. They'll kill two birds with one stone!

Yes, I understand that costs would further increase, but they can introduce it as an option at least.
I'm guessing you haven't read much on EV's. EV's don't need a gear box or any sort of transmission. The motor is connected directly to the wheels negating any need for transmission. If you add a transmission the losses will be higher than any gains from a higher ratio.

The only EV with a gearbox is the Porshe Taycan for autobahn cruising.
Vid6639 is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 21:29   #9
BHPian

Tata can really get a lot more people into EVs if they can get out a car with 45 or 65kwh. They already have the best charging network in the country. I really hope Tata does not lose their advantage like what Mahindra did with EVs. The Chinese and Koreans are already sharpening their knives.

I have just purchased a ZS EV only because the extra 50-60km was all I needed to have this as my only car.

Tata, please go for the kill
lina is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 22:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I'm guessing you haven't read much on EV's. If you add a transmission the losses will be higher than any gains from a higher ratio.
Kindly go through the following video by BHPian @StuntFreak in order to gain some knowledge on how a manual transmission can be equipped in an EV and is beneficial in achieving a much higher range.

He has also uploaded other videos in his YouTube channel where he talks about the various aspects of the setup in different videos. Very informative.

Quote:
EV's don't need a gear box or any sort of transmission. The motor is connected directly to the wheels negating any need for transmission.
This is not entirely true. Just because electric motors have a very high revv range doesn't mean that you keep wringing that motor to deliver the desired power. Unfortunately, that's the way EVs are today. The only reason why multi-gear transmissions aren't offered in majority of EVs today is because manufacturers haven't yet found a viable option to cut transmission losses to an efficient extent. However, some engineering firms have found a way, but it's not financially feasible.

Quote:
The only EV with a gearbox is the Porshe Taycan for autobahn cruising.
This statement itself brings out what I wanted to emphasise. In case of the Taycan, the 2 speed transmission was initially implemented for increased top-speed, but it also resulted in better range. And the only reason it's available in a Porsche & not in other (more mass market) EVs is because the setup is expensive. Now why Tesla hasn't implemented it yet is something I'm not aware of.
Big Smoke is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 23:32   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
Kindly go through the following video by BHPian @StuntFreak in order to gain some knowledge on how a manual transmission can be equipped in an EV and is beneficial in achieving a much higher range.

He has also uploaded other videos in his YouTube channel where he talks about the various aspects of the setup in different videos. Very informative.
Thanks. Will go through the videos but I did read up his thread and still wasn't convinced but since he has done it, I will still appreciate it.

Quote:
This is not entirely true. Just because electric motors have a very high revv range doesn't mean that you keep wringing that motor to deliver the desired power. Unfortunately, that's the way EVs are today. The only reason why multi-gear transmissions aren't offered in majority of EVs today is because manufacturers haven't yet found a viable option to cut transmission losses to an efficient extent. However, some engineering firms have found a way, but it's not financially feasible.
Electric motors don't have energy loss as much in high rpm vs adding a transmission. That is the whole point of not adding a transmission. The frictional losses + the weight makes it completely pointless.

If you see the above video you will see even Formula E companies moved to single gears from 2 gears as the complexity and frictional losses vs the benefit was minimal. However roads cars it's more about range than performance so with the added weight you even lose range at slow speeds vs gaining it when cruising.

Quote:
This statement itself brings out what I wanted to emphasise. In case of the Taycan, the 2 speed transmission was initially implemented for increased top-speed, but it also resulted in better range. And the only reason it's available in a Porsche & not in other (more mass market) EVs is because the setup is expensive. Now why Tesla hasn't implemented it yet is something I'm not aware of.
Yes but the Tesla has the highest range and performance with a single gear vs the complex german car so like you said Tesla didn't have to implement it.

End of the day Tata needs better battery tech and not really look at gearbox. The lesser the components from the motor to the wheel the higher the range and performance.

Another video that perfectly explains why you don't need a gearbox:

Vid6639 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 01:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Nexon and Altroz EVs will have to move upmarket to make space for the Punch EV, that needs to be slotted below the Nexon electric and above the Tigor EV which will be TMLs entry point into electric vehicle ownership.

I wonder if it's high time for Tata to think about separate electric car dealerships, at least in Tier 1 cities for now.

They are serving a different clientele paying a significant premium and I'm not sure if the current sales network are upto the mark. Plus need to stop dealerships who like pushing Petrol/Diesel.

Also need more diligent sales staff who have excellent product knowledge and understand the EV customer better. Nexon EV customers are special, going against the tide and placing a big bet on new Tata tech. The company needs to nurture such clients for a long term relationship.

An expanded EV portfolio of 3-4 models deserve their own separate sales network.
shortbread is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 03:15   #13
BHPian

I wonder how much of an improvement mere 5kW/6.7BHP can give to performance. Sub-9s 0-100?

If not, what did they achieve at all? Unless people see substantial difference to performance, I don’t see how they can justify a price hike AND lower range for same Nexon EV model as last year.

I can see lot of people demanding more range, more AC charging/DC charging ability (7kW/50kW), but I recall exactly no one who went “hmm you know what, Nexon EV is too slow”

And who asked for it exactly?

I’m really interested about not the performance but how much Tata is willing to increase the price of the vehicle due to this “meagre” upgrade.

Seemingly it’s only for XZ+ and XZ+Lux and not the base XM. So I think that the 95kW XZ+ and XZ+Lux motors are getting replaced by this one.

I’d really like to know the alternatives — other things Tata could’ve updated within same price hike as this Nexon EV refresh is going to get for 5kW more power.

Also, Tata should consider options of OEM spec Aerodynamic rims like Tesla Model 3 SR+. Imho they look good and can take the aero cover off if it irks people.

Last edited by Shresth_EV : 26th August 2021 at 03:17.
Shresth_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 10:49   #14
BHPian

This new motor is probably a next generation version of the one currently doing the rounds in the present Nexon EV since it is from the same vendor.

From the Transport Department document we are only privy to the battery capacity and power, I assume there is a bump in efficiency too just like the newest Snapdragon chips are becoming more and more battery efficient in each generation. There are also probably other changes under the hood of this motor which we will come to know in time.

Otherwise like you all pointed out there is no point in making this change.

I for one am happy that Tata is continuing to invest despite sales lower than a 1000 units a month, also with news that Maruti has no plans to introduce EVs in the near future. It is great to see a manufacturer with something besides just profits in mind. I hope they do well.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 11:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
This new motor is probably a next generation version of the one currently doing the rounds in the present Nexon EV since it is from the same vendor.

From the Transport Department document we are only privy to the battery capacity and power, I assume there is a bump in efficiency too just like the newest Snapdragon chips are becoming more and more battery efficient in each generation. There are also probably other changes under the hood of this motor which we will come to know in time.
But the Snapdragon series or any of the chips on smartphone have a nomenclature change and until we know the exact details of the motor used, we might not know the nomenclatures in here but I get your idea and I believe this is a new generation motor.

Is this similar to what we had with MG ZS EV? The 2021 version had a identical capacity motor similar to the previous generation but they advertised with a higher range, mostly because it was a new generation motor?
balmeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed