Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2022, 20:42   #91
BHPian

Re: Tata Tigor Electric Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
After the Nexon, is Tata readying a Tigor EV Max variant too? This time, with more power on tap as well?

Caught zipping through the streets of Pune by our friendly neighbourhood Autospy. In his words - "It was really fast!"

Attachment 2346064

Attachment 2346065

The Tigor EV in current guise is pretty peppy in 'S' Mode. The 20-60 and 30-80 acceleration is brisk (to put it mildly). My Tigor EV has completed about 2000 kms, city range of 210 - 260 (depends upon how its driven). Highway, just one trip done yet so no comments. But its a good car
torquecurve is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 14:54   #92
BHPian

Well, thought of updating on the delivery front.

Number has been allotted yesterday and apparently the car is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, once number plate is done.

Still, no word on WHEN the charger will be installed at my home. Clueless is the operating word here and since I have given up on following, chose to wait and see how things pan out.

This has to be single handedly the worst delivery experience so far - from communication, to vehicle allotment to events till date. And to top it, even if the car arrives tomorrow, the charging infrastructure will not be there at home.

Here we are, talking about lack of public charging infrastructure when I cannot even get a charger installed at home after paying the money for it !

Indeed I live in strange times
Nanolover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 12:20   #93
Senior - BHPian

"Hold on for a few more days. We might have something to share.", says Anand Kulkarni, VP, Passenger EV Division, on being asked about Tigor's value proposition, now that Tiago offers more features than Tigor.

I am assuming Tigor is to receive the features, currently not present, namely Cruise Control, levels of regen, rain sensing wipers, really soon.

Question on the same starts at 3:52.

ashutoshb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 13:15   #94
Senior - BHPian

New features to be added to the Tigor. Will be pushed through software update in the next one month.

Upgrades will be free of charge.

Source:
ashutoshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 19:20   #95
BHPian

A quick question. What's the top speed achievable by Tigor EV on the highway?
Old 2nd October 2022, 20:42   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
A quick question. What's the top speed achievable by Tigor EV on the highway?
120 km/h . All Tata EVs except the Nexon max are limited to 120 km/h. Nexon ev max i think goes till 138km/h. Nexon prime is also capped at 120km/h.
Nanolover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 18:34   #97
Senior - BHPian

Updated Tata Tigor EV to launch this month.

Existing Tigor EV customers can get regen modes and cruise control via a software update.

Quote:
Tata could also add leatherette upholstery, leather-wrapped steering wheel, automatic headlamps and rain-sensing wipers to the Tigor EV.
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 17:11   #98

A Review after 8 months and 11,500km run on the Tata Tigor EV Ziptron

Buying Decision making-

In 2020, I started to look for a second vehicle for the household as my mom decided to learn how to drive and my then gf (now wife) and I were planning to get married and she drives. So we would need 2 cars in the houshold. Then we were planning to get rid of the 4 year old Maruti Swift with almost 70,000 km on the odo and buy a new car. My mother was sure she wanted a bigger car and really liked the C-SUVs. Thus started my search for 2 cars to be bought, without creating too big a hole in the pocket both in terms of the cost of the cars as well as the regular running costs.

We ended up buying the Nexon Petrol XZ+ in December 2020 (took 4 months for delivery as we bought it via the GoI portal as my mom works in a PSU). This was a manual and both my mom and then gf clamoured that the other car should be an automatic. Within a month of driving the Nexon, I realised that this is not anywhere near efficient as the Swift which returned 13-14kmpl in the city and 16-18kmpl in the highway! The Nexon was returning about 8-9kmpl in the city (especially in the hands of our driver) and about 14kmpl on the highway.
Here is the Nexon during our Mumbai to Kanyakumari drive.

Tata Tigor Electric Review-whatsapp-image-20221008-15.09.11.jpeg

We figured out a budget of about 6-7Lakhs for the second car. Considering my fuel bill from the Nexon, Petrol was a no go. Diesel Automatics in the new car segment were all going way beyond my budget. So looked at the used car market. I checked out some 15 cars from Cars24, Olx, Facebook Marketplace etc., however, none were either fitting the bill or would help with the lowering of the running costs which we hoped for. This made me look at EVs as an alternative, considering they would also comply with the demand for an automatic car and are usually frugal to run. I checked some less run (<15000 km on the odo) E2Os and E2O+. None were in a good shape and the prices being quoted seemed very high. Then, while going through Facebook Marketplace and OLX, I ended up contacting some folks in Nashik, who had bought some 20 eVeritos in auction from Mahindra itself. I bargained to buy an eVerito for 4.8L from the guy. We bought the car in March'21. This car had 120km of range and was just about adequate for the city drives.
Here is the Mahindra eVerito. Yes I had added some stickers to make it look less like a white taxi.

Tata Tigor Electric Review-whatsapp-image-20221008-15.07.43.jpeg

We used the car for about 11 months and covered 12,000kms on it. In that time I was convinced that an EV was perfect as a second car in the family, especially for city usage.

With the Nexon EV gaining in popularity, Tata Power went on a war footing to set up EV chargers everywhere and even smaller companies like Statiq, etc were setting up chargers. BUT, they were all CCS2 type chargers and the eVerito, being a 72V system could only accept GBT type charger for fast charging. This made the eVerito obsolete. The eVerito did its part to convince me completely to buy an EV next time I bought a car, especially as a second car in the house.

In August'21 when Tata launched the Tigor, I was smitten by it. My best friend in Kolkata had a Tiago and I had driven it enough to know that for a city car it was more than adequate. The Tigor was the same chassis with the added boot space.

I went to get a test drive for the Tigor the very next day, however, none of the Tata showrooms in Mumbai had a Tigor test drive vehicle (they said that all the test drive vehicles were on media drive duties after launch for 1 week)
So I ended up test driving the Nexon EV. And boy was I impressed! It was way better than the eVerito which I was driving and felt like a different class! On checking the prices, I realised that even post the subsidies being offered, I would need to shell out close to 15L. This was an absolute no go! Not to be disheartened, I booked myself for a test drive at the Puneet showroom in Prabhadevi (where I knew the folks considering they had delivered my Nexon) for the next week when the tigor would be available.

The test drive car had about 1300km on the odo. I loved the experience. It had all the ingredients of the Nexon EV, but in a smaller package. All 3 of us took turns to test drive the car and even though we were not looking to buy a car, were quite convinced that we should replace the eVerito with the Tigor EV!

In the meantime, Maharashtra Government announced the EV subsidy scheme and the early bird scheme. We calculated that if we bought the Tigor before end of December'21, we would end up with 2.3L as a subsidy. This along with the fact that we were getting almost 4.5L for the eVerito (this is the time when the cost of petrol hit 100 for the first time and people were looking for EVs), convinced us that we should sell the eVerito and buy the Tigor EV.

Experience of Ownership-

We took delivery of the car on 3rd February 2022. It costed us exactly 11Lon road post all the subsidies and dealer level discounts.

Tata Tigor Electric Review-whatsapp-image-20221008-15.11.39.jpeg

The same week we took delivery of the Tigor, we decided to do a trip to Alibaug. This was the first time I was taking an EV outside Mumbai, so I decided to completely plan the trip. I made a note of all the charging stations along the way (there were none post Navi Mumbai) and even kept a note of the Tata dealer nearest from Alibaug in case I needed help in terms of getting towed if I got stuck without charge somewhere. The distance to the resort from my place in Mumbai was showing 120km and I knew that if I drove in a sedate manner, I would be able to reach and come back to Navi Mumbai and charge somewhere. Thankfully we were able to charge at the resort itself. Thus began the Tigor EV journey for my family.

So, the Tigor EV will deliver about 180-220km of range no matter how you drive (unless you decide to thrash it around in Sports mode) in the city or on the highway. It takes 7-8hrs to charge via a 15amps socket. Mostly we drive the Tigor in the city and a once a month trip to Pune which come to about 400km( 300km to and fro and some running within Pune).

Just to put into context the cost savings one can get from an EV- a round trip to Pune costs us about INR1100 (INR 630 tolls and about INR450-500 for charging the car on slow charger at both Mumbai and Pune overnight). In the Nexon petrol it would cost us something like INR 3800-4000 (considering 14kmpl average, 30liters of Petrol and rest 630 toll). Thats like 1/3rd the cost if not lesser. When compared to my Nexon, its like saving INR10 for every km I drive the Tigor EV vis a vis my Nexon. This has meant that the Nexon is only used when we end up going for our once in a quarter long drive.

In my 8 months and about 12,000km experience of the Tigor EV, here are the positives-

1. The drive on the Tigor is silent, plaint and comfortable.
2. The Harman sourced music system is very good in terms of the music quality, barely average in terms of the touch screen.
3. No issues in going through the "roads" of Mumbai post monsoon. Suspension is quite sorted, supple.
4. Power delivery is just as it should be on an EV- Instant. To put it into perspective, the 74bhp is not a lot, but the car can easily be driven at 90kmph on the expressway and it feels extremely stable. The torque is brilliant and the traffic light "its lights off and away we go" race sessions are quite enjoyable.
5. In my humble opinion, you get 2 cars in the Tigor EV- one sedate and well mannered one when the car is in D mode and another crazy unexpected car when in S mode. They feel like poles apart. I tried to drive the car in an enthusiastic manner in S mode for a full day, it lasted me 89km and the battery was at 22%. So if you want to extract range, you need to be sedate
6. Sound isolation in the Tigor EV is average, however you will feel a certain calm in it, even in the hustle and bustle of city life
7. The car delivers 200km of range in most use cases within the city, which with an average commute of 30km/day would last a whole week before one needs to recharge

Heres the photo of the odo when I completed 10,000kms!

Tata Tigor Electric Review-whatsapp-image-20221008-15.14.03.jpeg

In the last 8 months, I have observed the following in terms of issues-

1. Do not believe the range shown on the console. It completely depends on how you have driven in the last 15mins/ 5kms. Look at the below image, its next to impossible that a car with 26kWh battery gives that much range with ~70% battery remaining. One should instead look at the wh/km reading and try and keep that below 120 and you are good to go. Better caliberation should be done in the range displayed.

Tata Tigor Electric Review-whatsapp-image-20221008-15.14.58.jpeg

2. The Air condition system on the Tigor EV is faulty. It just never works when you need it to. Its not just my experience. I am a part of a group of more than 200 Tigor EV owners from all over India and almost 70% of us have faced some or the other issue with the AC. In my case, it worked perfectly till the 2nd free service at 7000km, since then the AC stops working if the ambient temperature goes above 30-32C and when you need it the most. Even when the AC works, its absolutely not adequate.

3. Fit and Finish issues- There are rattles from B and C pillars which start appearing every time one goes through a pothole riddled road. Being an EV, these rattles are even more prominent and irksome. The only way to solve this is to open up the internal panels and shut them up tight with a few hits.

4. The Tigor EV cannot be fast charged at all types of Fast chargers, even those on the Tata Power EZ charge app. This is a major concern as one might have planned to juice up at a particular charger and the car wont accept the charge. I believe this can be rectified via some software updates.

5. The Z connect App which Tata provides often times does not work or even if it works, shows wrong information. Also, it beats me as to how a company which has a tech giant like TCS as a sister company can have such glitches-

Tata Tigor Electric Review-whatsapp-image-20221008-15.15.31.jpeg

6. The absence of different modes of regeneration and Cruise control are a big miss in the Tigor EV. EVs like ICE cars work most efficiently when driven at a constant speed. Efficiency is even more critical in an EV as it may mean the difference of 2-3km can decide whether you could reach your destination or got stranded midway. Hopefully Tata will provide these with an update like that in the case of the Nexon EV users.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the car as is my family. Its a very good car for the city. The Tigor EV is comfortable, well spec'ed and delivers a decent range for daily city usage and planned highway usage.

Tata Tigor Electric Review-whatsapp-image-20221008-15.16.40.jpeg
Ray379 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 10:14   #99
BHPian

Thank you for a well detailed review. I am seriously considering buying an EV, reviews like these are most useful. I have a few followup questions for you, would be great if you can answer them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray379 View Post
2. The Air condition system on the Tigor EV is faulty. It just never works when you need it to. Its not just my experience. I am a part of a group of more than 200 Tigor EV owners from all over India and almost 70% of us have faced some or the other issue with the AC. In my case, it worked perfectly till the 2nd free service at 7000km, since then the AC stops working if the ambient temperature goes above 30-32C and when you need it the most. Even when the AC works, its absolutely not adequate.
Sorry to hear this, what is the response from TATA? Would it not be covered under warranty? Any idea if this is an issue with the initial set of cars or are they still selling it with faulty A/C?

Quote:
4. The Tigor EV cannot be fast charged at all types of Fast chargers, even those on the Tata Power EZ charge app. This is a major concern as one might have planned to juice up at a particular charger and the car wont accept the charge. I believe this can be rectified via some software updates.
This is another bummer, hope they fix it. Have you figured out which type of chargers give problem or is it random and you are always risking it?

Quote:
6. The absence of different modes of regeneration and Cruise control are a big miss in the Tigor EV. EVs like ICE cars work most efficiently when driven at a constant speed. Efficiency is even more critical in an EV as it may mean the difference of 2-3km can decide whether you could reach your destination or got stranded midway. Hopefully Tata will provide these with an update like that in the case of the Nexon EV users.
Do you miss these in the city or only on the highways?

Another question I have is about the ride quality and handling. Do feel the suspension to be hard? Does the battery weight at the back affects balance and handling?

Happy to hear that overall you are satisfied with your car. As they say there are no cars without issues, its only whether you can live with them or not.
Old 23rd October 2022, 11:04   #100

Hi wocanak,

Replying to all your questions on this post itself-

Wrt the AC issue- Tata is changing certain parts of the car within warranty. We have a Group of Tigor ev owners and about 15-20 of them have had the parts changed.

Wrt the issue of not being able to charge at all chargers, it's a software issue from what i understand. Once we get it updated it should work. Also, i am due a few updates in my 3rd free service which is scheduled in the next month. Hopefully the car would be able to accept charging from all chargers post the update/service.

Considering i mostly drive in Mumbai and sometimes on the highway, i mostly feel the issue during the highway drives only. However, during the launch of the Tiago EV, the Tata Motors Management had said that they are planning for giving the cruise control and multi level regen via updates to the Tigor as well, so fingers crossed that happens soon!

Hope i have answered all your queries.
Ray379 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 12:22   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Hi wocanak,

Replying to all your questions on this post itself-

Wrt the AC issue- Tata is changing certain parts of the car within warranty. We have a Group of Tigor ev owners and about 15-20 of them have had the parts changed.

Wrt the issue of not being able to charge at all chargers, it's a software issue from what i understand. Once we get it updated it should work. Also, i am due a few updates in my 3rd free service which is scheduled in the next month. Hopefully the car would be able to accept charging from all chargers post the update/service.

Considering i mostly drive in Mumbai and sometimes on the highway, i mostly feel the issue during the highway drives only. However, during the launch of the Tiago EV, the Tata Motors Management had said that they are planning for giving the cruise control and multi level regen via updates to the Tigor as well, so fingers crossed that happens soon!

Hope i have answered all your queries.
Thanks, hope your AC issue get fixed. Please keep us updated once you get the cruise control and regen adjustment update. I think the Nexon EV had MID controls which made these accessible, I wonder how its going to be done with Tigor.
Old 21st November 2022, 19:47   #102
BHPian

Updated Tigor Ev teased by tata motors.

Link :

https://twitter.com/tatamotorsev/sta...aHSB9cwifTAc6A
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tigor Electric Review-417765b18ebe481981c889d4e811c6f2.jpeg  

Tata Tigor Electric Review-a01dd6255cc54283a597ad380e88cba6.jpeg  

XRoader_001 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 11:39   #103
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors has launched the updated Tigor EV at a starting price of Rs 12.49 lakh.

Tata Tigor Electric Review-smartselect_20221123113715_chrome.jpg

Tata Tigor Electric Review-press23nov2201.jpg

Tata Tigor Electric Review-press23nov2202.jpg

Tata Tigor Electric Review-press23nov2204.jpg

Tata Tigor Electric Review-press23nov2205.jpg

- Enhanced ARAI certified range of 315 Km

- Offers 10 new smart features to further accentuate premium appeal

- Multi-Mode Regen, Connected Car Technology- Zconnect, iTPMS and Tyre Puncture Repair Kit are now available as standard across the range

- New additions like Leatherette upholstery, Leather wrapped steering wheel, Rain Sensing wipers, Auto Headlamps and Cruise Control

- Now available in a new Magnetic Red color option

- Key features over software update available for existing Tigor.ev customers free of charge, starting 20th December, 2022 at Tata Motors’ authorized service centers.

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 23rd November 2022 at 11:44.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 12:08   #104
BHPian

5500 kms update

Car has clocked it in less than 4 months . Pigtail update done and the fan noise on door lock/ unlock is gone for good. Now that all the updates are done, touchwood there are no problems in the past 4000 kms. Also, i have had no issues with the ac and it cools perfectly!

Car does 180-190 kms in full ac ( 100 to 15% charge). I have only charged from home,so have not faced any fast charger related issues.

Only issue is that the wall charger shows the red light which can be an earthing issue or the plug getting hot ( neither of which is correct as confirmed with my electrician and also physically touching the plug). Need to get it checked out at the 7500 kms service.
Nanolover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 19:48   #105
BHPian

Great Review. Thanks so much

Last edited by niranjanprabhu : 7th February 2023 at 19:50.
niranjanprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks