Team-BHP Support

Tata Tigor EV vs Tata Nexon EV vs others

Name:  Tata Tigor EV comparo.png
Views: 2716
Size:  22.6 KB

Tata Tigor EV

What you'll like:

• A competent EV package at an affordable starting price
• Zero tailpipe emissions & green image will appeal to the environmentally-conscious
• Real-world range of ~200 km is adequate for city commutes & urban dwellers
• Stupendously cheap fuel cost of 1 rupee / km (if you charge at home)
• Peppy behaviour in "S" mode! "D" mode is rather tame though
• Sorted road manners due to the lower center-of-gravity & firmer suspension
• Smooth drive, no gears, light controls & compact size make it an ideal city car
• Well-designed interiors are likeable & user-friendly
• Features like the 8-speaker Harman audio system, projector headlamps, connected car tech & more
• Solid build & construction. 4-star GNCAP safety rating is commendable

What you won't:

• A stiff 5-lakh rupees more expensive than the Tigor Petrol AMT
• Nexon EV is superior & not that far away in terms of pricing (or EMIs)
• ~200 km range means this is strictly a city car. No long highway runs
• Stiffer suspension than the regular Tigor means you feel more of the road. Bad roads are felt
• Power tapers off after 100 km/h; top speed of just 120 km/h
• Smaller 316L boot (regular Tigor = 419L) due to the intrusive spare tyre
• Some misses such as "P" mode on the shifter, adjustable regen braking & alloy wheels
• A rare Tata car that cannot seat 5 (best for 4 adults)
• Tata's after-sales service quality is a hit or miss. Remains a gamble
• It's a brand-new technology, so there will be issues & niggles

Review Link

Tata Nexon EV
Tata Tigor EV vs Tata Nexon EV vs others-tatanexonev.jpg

BHPian Samba's Review

Mahindra eVerito
Tata Tigor EV vs Tata Nexon EV vs others-mahindraeverito.jpeg

Discussion Thread

Last edited by Aditya : 20th May 2022 at 18:36.
Aditya is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 12:15   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Tigor EV vs Tata Nexon EV vs others

Easiest poll I ever voted on in my life . Nexon EV without a doubt. It's the most sorted, feels like a "regular car", has good styling (love the face of the facelift) and a practical cabin. Importantly, it is quick & has a range that works well for my kind of urban usage, with the occasional highway run to nearby destinations.

I know people will be tempted toward the Tigor EV and it is a competent electric sedan, but the Nexon EV is totally worth the price difference (not much in EMI terms anyway).
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 11:44   #3
BHPian

Voted for : Tata Nexon EV

If you check the pricing on paper Nexon EV makes for a more sensible buy.
However, there are few points one must consider:

Note: This is post discussion with a sales advisor from Wasan Tata (Chembur - Mumbai). Authenticity is to be known or discussed.

Tata Nexon EV

Cons:
1. Nexon EV has a waiting period of more than 6 months (except the top end XZ+ Lux Variant)
2. Nexon EV XZ+ Lux is not eligible for Government Rebate
3. Delay of 6 Months means, certain fixed subsidy from the Government which is ending by 31st December 2021 will not be eligible

Pros:

1. Nexon EV is a better car over Tigor from all aspects (design, space, practicality, range & power)
2. Nexon EV has been selling in good numbers and been around for few months now. Teething issues have been identified and fixed by Tata.

Tigor EV

Pros:

1. Readily available for delivery
2. Eligible for both State and Central EV subsidies
3. Compact car for city usage
4. With subsidies, makes it for value for money over a diesel hatchback

Cons:

1. Limited range makes it a city only car
2. New car so certain niggles are expected
3. Design (especially wheel) is not so appealing
4. Less features, range & power compared to Nexon EV
5. Pricing on a higher side (on paper)

If one considers the On road pricing post all subsidies and ready delivery, Tigor EV makes more sense for someone who is looking for a car to commute within city limits. As per the TBHP review, even though the power is lesser than Nexon, on road it is more than sufficient.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 17th September 2021 at 11:45.
VWAllstar is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 12:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Out of these three, I would go for the Nexon EV. For just a little more than the price of the Tigor, you get a much bigger car with more power, torque, and range.

Mahindra has a long way to go to catch up in the EV race. Sad. As first movers, they could have developed a worthy product to take on the Nexon EV.
ChiragM is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 12:22   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Between these 3, Nexon EV is the no brainer.

But if I have to buy an EV today, I am heading straight to the MG showroom.

Nexon EV retails at 18.5L on road Faridabad for the top variant, while the base ZS costs 22. ZS is a far better car inside out, and has a 50% bigger battery to boot, and all the equipment the Tata has and more. Nexon is essentially a 10L Rupee car and that shows in its fit and finish and overall cabin ambiance. Just doesn’t cut it at these prices, when there is precious little subsidy in Haryana.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 17th September 2021 at 12:25.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 12:24   #6
Team-BHP Support

If I were to buy an EV today, it would be the MG ZS EV. Don't trust Tata/Mahindra enough to buy their V1 cars, let alone a totally new technology.

That said, I would ideally want to wait for a couple of years before taking an EV plunge.
Eddy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 12:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Voted for : Tata Nexon EV

If you check the pricing on paper Nexon EV makes for a more sensible buy.
However, there are few points one must consider:
True, I just did a TD with Wasan Chembur and got pretty much the same feedback. I'm disappointed that there is a 6 month waiting for the base Nexon EV, and hence it is not eligible for the FLAME benefits. Will need to validate the waiting period with Tata Motors.

But overall, loved the car, especially in sports mode, the Nexon is kickass. I felt the turbo kick (in sports mode) and its brilliant. Hoot to drive.

Last edited by Eddy : 17th September 2021 at 12:33. Reason: Shortening quote for better readability
Lalvaz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 17:21   #8
BHPian

The only one here who voted for the Tigor EV (Ziptron) - maybe because it suits my typical use case.
We have been a two-vehicle garage for the past decade or so. My sister drives, I drive and both have (had) cars. Now my wife also drives and will soon need a car for her as well. Current garage is my Manza and a Nano (currently down for a major repair). The Manza, is a petrol with an FE of 11-12 with a light foot in the city.
I typically drive at least 30-40 kms a day within the city (longest in city drive in a day has been about 120 kms) with long drives (above 200 kms one way) happeneing once every quarter.

The Tigor, with a 4 star NCAP, smaller footprint suits my use case - as a daily driver for me and later, whenever I upgrade / move to another car, becomes my wife/sisters daily driver (currenly sis in in WFH and wife is in BAH mode). The Manza still remains as a long distance car when required (enough boot space for the International visitor as well) with the Nano remaining the beater car (and the third car when all three require it).

The overall cost of ownership will be lower than paying '4800' per tankful (3-4 tankfulls a month) on the manza!
torquecurve is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 09:36   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm one of the few who'll vote for the Tigor. I have always liked the Tigor, for its unique design and very practical cabin and boot space.
As of now given the ranges and charging infrastructure available, EVs are anyway city dwellers / 2nd cars. Even the eZS for that matter. I think the Tigor covers all needs of such a "use-case". Definitely cheaper enough than the Nexon.
I already use the pretty capable Nexon diesel as a primary car. Don't see the point in having an identical sized 2nd car for city use, which costs quite a bit too. While identical in length, the Tigor surely feels more compact to navigte in city's older, crowded areas. Probably due to width. It is tested to be more than good on safety, especially given it will be used mainly within cramped, slow speed areas within city limits. In fact, yesterday I already did some math to evaluate replacing the Alto with Tigor ev. But no practical solution for charging point in my oldish apartment block is a big deterrent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
I felt the turbo kick (in sports mode) and its brilliant. Hoot to drive.
If you did, you didn't drive an EV . (Don't mind, I know what you meant - just couldn't resist pouncing on this full-toss!)

Last edited by Reinhard : 19th September 2021 at 09:38.
Reinhard is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 09:48   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I meant to vote for Tigor but voted for the Nexon by mistake.My logic is as follows. In today's scenario an EV still cannot be a primary car. For those who do even 1-2 highway drives a year, the range and charging infra is an issue. Personally for me definitely cannot be primary as I do highway drives with 300-500 km / day atleast 5-6 times a year.

With that background, today an EV can be a 2nd car primarily for city use and for that both the Tigor and Nexon are competent. Considering the Tigor is 3-4 Lakhs cheaper and is fairly well equipped and good looking, it should do the job well. Don't see a point paying 3-4Lakhs more for the limited use case an EV can satisfy today.

Note: On the price difference, I personally don't buy the logic that the difference is not much in 'EMI Terms'. Need to be mindful of the actual difference because ultimately you are paying back that + the interest.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 19th September 2021 at 09:52.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 10:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post

3. Delay of 6 Months means, certain fixed subsidy from the Government which is ending by 31st December 2021 will not be eligible
It is good start for the EV culture, instead of encoring it, I wonder, why government want to end subsidy so early?

I suspect, in future, government will charge taxes on electricity like they do now on petrol and diesel to run government.
IP_Man is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 10:32   #12
BHPian

The EV is primarily for city running and the occasional super suburban travel; the Tigor is nimble, much much cheaper and therefore a better choice.
The Nexon EV, a more expensive option, would only make sense if it can do a full day's drive, at least 400 km on a single charge.
matizcrazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 12:50   #13
HrB
BHPian

Simple reason for choosing the Tigor over the others is my usage patterns. The EV can be my daily drive as I hardly travel 15-20 km a day. Since I already have my Honda Jazz available for occasional long drives, it doesn't make financial sense to invest more on the Nexon EV.
Old 19th September 2021, 13:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I'm one of the few who'll vote for the Tigor. I have always liked the Tigor, for its unique design and very practical cabin and boot space.
As of now given the ranges and charging infrastructure available, EVs are anyway city dwellers / 2nd cars. Even the eZS for that matter. I think the Tigor covers all needs of such a "use-case". Definitely cheaper enough than the Nexon.
The Tigor is probably the more practical choice for a city runabout, and in your case, since you have the Nexon diesel, the Tigor EV makes more sense indeed. The price difference is substantial and with the subsidies, makes a very compelling case.

Quote:
If you did, you didn't drive an EV . (Don't mind, I know what you meant - just couldn't resist pouncing on this full-toss!)
The last time I drove an EV was the Reva, and was used to a linear but comparatively slower acceleration. When I first drove the Nexon in Normal Mode, I was happy with the normal petrol car sort of acceleration and thought it was definitely acceptable as a city roundabout. Later on, the guy switched on the Sports Mode and it was like a totally different car altogether. It felt like a first gen Swift diesel with the turbo kick in the back. The range of course dropped, but I was very impressed with the drivability of the car. Great effort by Tata, of course I wish the range was more, but honestly I think the car would be perfect as a city roundabout. Would even want them to consider bringing the Nano back in a refreshed EV avatar, with a more premium fit and finish. Now that would be one heck of a city EV car in Sports mode.
Lalvaz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 13:24   #15
BHPian

As a recent buyer of an EV, and having done a lot of research, I chose "Other". The "Other" being ZS EV. Nexon EV is a really good car but Tata has unnecessarily handicapped it in a few ways:

1. Small Battery - 30kWh implies that it has to be a second car. The car wont do more than 200km on the highway unless you make major sacrifices while driving. Nexon with a 45 or 60kWh battery will see a lot of customers. Yes, the cost will go up but honestly, the Nexon EV drives much better than a Creta or Harrier and can easily compete with those segments.
2. Slow Fast charging - Nexon EV charges only at 25kW. So, it will take a lot of time to charge the car. A car like the ZS EV can actually get more range in shorter time if a faster charger is available. Also, Ive seen many youtube videos where the Nexon EV has issues after fast charging - randomly switching to Neutral while driving etc.
3. Regen braking isnt as powerful as Kona or ZS and cant be adjusted.
4. No traction control - The regular Nexon gets it. With all that torque from 0 RPM, traction control is a necessity in EVs.
5. Lack of 6 airbags - Yes, the Nexon is crash tested. But why cant Tata install 6 airbags in it? Informed customers like me would avoid a car simply on the basis of one such omission.

The Tigor has all these handicaps and more. It is almost the same price and has a lesser boot space, less power and less comfort. I really wish the EV industry India is not a race to the bottom. Cheap cars with small batteries and slow charging times will become a headache in a few years and will in turn end up irritating future EV buyers. Car manufacturers should instead focus on creating quality products in the 20-30L range that have adequate power, range and luxury. Currently cars like Creta, Kushaq, Harrier are way too overpriced for what they offer. Good EVs from a segment below can give these cars a tough fight. Im hoping the XUV 700 comes in an EV avatar for about 25L OTR,

Last edited by lina : 19th September 2021 at 13:30. Reason: forgot about tigor
lina is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks