Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2021, 18:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Effect of Electric Vehicles on the government's revenue? Fuel taxes contribute to 2% of GDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shresth_EV View Post
And anyway, the size of roof is far from 10 sq.m. — your best bet is 500-750W (which will not give you a lot of energy — 8h of direct sun will give you 4kWh.
My thumb rule for rooftop solar is 1KW solar system makes 4kwh in a day. So I believe 500W of solar panels (with the disadvantages mentioned by you) will make less than 2kwh under direct sun. Sono says 112km/week using onboard solar panels, may be generates 10-15kwh/week.
SKC-auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 00:49   #32
BHPian

Re: Effect of Electric Vehicles on the government's revenue? Fuel taxes contribute to 2% of GDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa.30789 View Post
And one more doubt guys, I have always been thinking about it. Couldn't ask for a better place to clarify my doubt. Why not fit EVs with roof top solar panels, in addition to EV charging ports? This would make the running cost of the EVs almost zero during summer. Please clarify my doubt.
Solar Panel power output is not dependent on temperature. It depends on how much sunlight is there. So if the amount of sunlight coming is same even in winter, it would generate the same amount of electricity.
souvikjana83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 15:29   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post

Our oil import bill is approx Rs 7.5L crore ($ 100 bn) and is the single largest contributor to forex outflow. To put things into perspective

1 - Our defense budget is $ 65 Bn
2 - Our MNREGA budget is $ 10 Bn
3 - Our entire capex budget is $ 90 Bn

In sum, we can pay off our capex budget + Mnrega and have a little to spare (forex savings) just on the back of our import bill.

Plus our dependencies on external suppliers goes down.

It eases infrastructural logjams in shipping these to the last mile pumps (though this is a fraction of the costs involved)

Let me put it this way, if you had a chance to earn Rs 100 and earn rebate of Rs 50 for a net earning of Rs 50 or simply earn Rs 100 and not get a rebate, which would you choose?

I am sorry, but I guess you mean to say that the GoI will save 100 Billion USD by the transition to EVs (instead of fossil fuel)

In reality, the GoI has been selling fossil fuels at such a price that the profit from selling fossil fuels was covering the entire defense budgets and MNREGA budgets too.

If fossil fuels are no longer being sold, will the GoI stop spending on defense or MNREGA? If not, how those expenses are going to be managed?

The only logical options are
1) raise personal income taxes (very likely)/corporate taxes (unlikely)
2) tax agricultural income (unlikely)
3) raise GST (likely)
4) tax EV, batteries, charging infrastructure etc (very very likely)

Also, unless all the EV batteries and infrastructure equipments are manufactured in India from the scratch, we will still lose foreign exchanging amounting to billions of USD by purchasing them.

The Government will always be the winner as it can change the rules in the middle of the game.

So we will end up paying more taxes some way or the other, but it might still work out to be a tad cheaper than what we now pay for fossil fuels.

Last edited by Geta : 25th October 2021 at 15:53.
Old 25th October 2021, 19:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
I am sorry, but I guess you mean to say that the GoI will save 100 Billion USD by the transition to EVs (instead of fossil fuel)
Wrong, the economy stops $100 BILLION being shipped outside the country. That $100 BILLION gets spent within and has a multiplier effect.

On the other hand for example, this money goes into the pockets of a US oil broker, who then pays the shale producer, who then pays his employees, who buys houses, pickup trucks etc etc.... the trickle down effect benefits the US economy, more houses sold, more retail sales, more cars purchased.....ultimately more tax revenue for the US.

Therefore keeping the expenditure within India enlarges both the economy and taxes generated. It also reduces the trade deficit and also strengthens the exchequer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
Also, unless all the EV batteries and infrastructure equipments are manufactured in India from the scratch, we will still lose foreign exchanging amounting to billions of USD by purchasing them.
Whatever figure you conjure up it's nowhere near to each litre of imported fuel we buy. Lithium makes up less than 1% of an EV's content. Unlike oil, every other component can be made in the country.

To top it all it gives India energy independence, avoids the need to holding massive reserves and not vulnerable to crude price fluctuations.
Old 25th October 2021, 20:47   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Wrong, the economy stops $100 BILLION being shipped outside the country. That $100 BILLION gets spent within and has a multiplier effect.
Of course I knew it was wrong, that was the message conveyed in the remainder of my post, not deviating from the title of this thread.

Rgds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks