Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2021, 08:51   #1
BHPian

Retro models getting Electric Avatars | Which older car would you like to see as an EV?

Hi All,

Hyundai recently announced and showcased a pair of EV concepts based on the classic Pony and Grandeur models.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...d-led-lighting

Ford did the same with an Eluminator concept

https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/f...rs-1234645574/

What Indian car/retro model would you like to see in an EV avatar?

For me it would be

Ambassador Mk iV
Standard 2000
Daewoo Cielo
Matador

If ride and handling could be addressed too, these could be great choices.

Last edited by skrao : 12th November 2021 at 08:51. Reason: Grammar
skrao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 09:33   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Retro models getting Electric Avatars | Which older car would you like to see as an EV?

Just a matter of time before we see good, reliable kits from reputable brand names to fit into older cars. Hopefully, the government will also gift these transplants green number-plates & extended lifespans (e.g. Delhi-NCR).

I would love to see the following cars in an EV avatar:

- The Maruti 800, whether 1st-gen or 2nd-gen. India's most iconic car needs an extended life. Lightweight too, so helps the EV cause.

- Premier Padmini is a prime candidate. Small, chuckable, easy to fix, infinitely customisable and loads of nostalgia.

- My own '97 Mahindra Classic. It's now 25-years old, so merely a weekend toy. Would love to change over from the 2.5L Bolero Diesel to a smooth, silent electric powertrain.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 09:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Retro models getting Electric Avatars | Which older car would you like to see as an EV?

Obvious choice for me is Tata Nano. There is no car that is spacious, practical 5 seater and excellent city car. Had they released an EV I would have straight up exchanged my petrol and got the Nano. Nano owners selling the Nano is like giving one's own son for adoption. Probability exits but it's a tough emotional decision.

In terms of old car I don't mind to see Zen of original avtar in EV and Honda Civic of the old gen.

Last edited by VW2010 : 12th November 2021 at 09:49.
VW2010 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 09:43   #4
BHPian

Would love to own an Electric version of the Tata Nano. The dimensions perfectly suit congested urban environments.

In a way the Tata Nano was ahead of its time albeit costlier than expectations. Now is the right time to electrify it. Even an actual range of 100 KM would be sufficient to keep retrofitment costs low.

The idea of very small 2-seater EV cars with under 100 KM ranges is not far away as quoted by Mr.Rajeev Chaba of MG. The Nano is a comfortable 4 seater and such a retrofit experiment can prove the case for such cars.

Last edited by anthusiast : 12th November 2021 at 09:46.
anthusiast is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 14:58   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprised to see that the Contessa didn't pop up, considering how it features prominently in any thread of retro/old/indian wish car list.

Thouygh there are many, the one thaty comes to my mind is Nano. Around late 2000s, there were rumours of the Nano featuring an EV powertrain, and I would daydream of it being the perfect city car/ first car. Alas.

Nano and any gen of the WagonR.
DicKy is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 15:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Obvious choice for me is Tata Nano. There is no car that is spacious, practical 5 seater and excellent city car. Had they released an EV I would have straight up exchanged my petrol and got the Nano. Nano owners selling the Nano is like giving one's own son for adoption. Probability exits but it's a tough emotional decision.

In terms of old car I don't mind to see Zen of original avtar in EV and Honda Civic of the old gen.
Tata Totally Missed an Opportunity here.
An Electric Nano with a 100km range for 5L, will still sell.
Market has matured now. I wish tata brings it as an EV, will be a straight swap for our 2011 Nano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Premier Padmini is a prime candidate. Small, chuckable, easy to fix, infinitely customisable and loads of nostalgia.
I have been toying with this idea of getting an old Premier Padmini and Plonk in a Powerful motor to it, and turn it into a project car. Now that this has been raised. I won't really mind an Electric one with a nice powerful Motor.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 12th November 2021 at 15:13. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks
akshay4587 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 19:14   #7
BHPian

Help might be nearer than we think. There is an Anglo Dutch co that offers conversion kits for very reasonable prices.

https://www.newelectric.nl/
Old 12th November 2021, 20:15   #8
BHPian

The Hindustan Ambassador, without a doubt. Pure old world charm. Would love in an electric avatar.
catchjyoti is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 13:23   #9

A Maruti Gypsy with an electric motor and stock drivetrain, oh boy it will be an unbeatable offroader. Does anyone know how much torque can the stock Gypsy drivetrain handle? My guess would be 200Nm-ish which coupled with the stock low ratio transfer case would make for one very capable hill climber.
wr10forever is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 14:40   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I would love to see an electric drivetrain in these classics -

Sierra (who knows, TML might oblige us someday!)
Ambassador
Contessa
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 14:56   #11
BHPian

Most older cars don't meet pedestrian collision safety standards, and don't have particularly aerodynamic designs, so would be a waste to try to turn them into EVs. They're fine as collectible items, but do not belong on our roads.
Old 14th November 2021, 15:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthusiast View Post
Would love to own an Electric version of the Tata Nano. The dimensions perfectly suit congested urban environments.

In a way the Tata Nano was ahead of its time albeit costlier than expectations. Now is the right time to electrify it. Even an actual range of 100 KM would be sufficient to keep retrofitment costs low.

The idea of very small 2-seater EV cars with under 100 KM ranges is not far away as quoted by Mr.Rajeev Chaba of MG. The Nano is a comfortable 4 seater and such a retrofit experiment can prove the case for such cars.

looks like some one heard you :-)
Tata Nano electric will be launched as Tata Neo, check out his article on the same
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...yem-neo-406644
Old 14th November 2021, 16:51   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arundeepbv View Post
looks like some one heard you :-)
Tata Nano electric will be launched as Tata Neo, check out his article on the same
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...yem-neo-406644
I'm not sure if there is any actual plans in progress. The article dates back to 2017 and the last news about Jayem and Tata is calling off their Joint Venture.
anthusiast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 17:11   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

How about being able to convert older cars into EV's .. will save older vehicles from getting scrapped, while still supporting the EV push. And owners wont have to spend big bucks to get another vehicle
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 17:52   #15
BHPian

As others mentioned, Tata Nano Electric with 100km range will be dream come true for me. Something like the Hongguang Mini which is selling like hot cakes in China

LINK

Perfect for city roundabout.
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed