Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2021, 14:24   #16
BHPian

Re: I'm contemplating buying an electric car | Have questions for EV owners

Not wanting to create a new thread, my daily commute is 160km + 160km . From home to factory, 90% of these roads are 6 lane national highways where I cruise at 100-140kmph. My average speed in this 90% section is 90kmph overall average is 75kmph as I encounter traffic in the last 10% inside the city.
I currently drive a 2012 Jetta with 3.5lakh kms on the odo and get 15km/L. which translates to 6.5rs/km. Would it make sense to get an EV ?
How much range can be expected with the MG driving at 120-130kmph ?
My reasons for considering EV are purely economic. Will be driven by driver most of the time. I can't afford any of the premium EVs

I would be very comfortable if I would have enough range to drive to and fro without having to recharge, just in case I have to turn back before reaching but I don't think we are there yet in terms of range if I am not mistaken.

Last edited by paras211 : 29th November 2021 at 14:27.
paras211 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 11:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
Not wanting to create a new thread, my daily commute is 160km + 160km . From home to factory, 90% of these roads are 6 lane national highways where I cruise at 100-140kmph. My average speed in this 90% section is 90kmph overall average is 75kmph as I encounter traffic in the last 10% inside the city.
I currently drive a 2012 Jetta with 3.5lakh kms on the odo and get 15km/L. which translates to 6.5rs/km. Would it make sense to get an EV ?
My reasons for considering EV are purely economic. Will be driven by driver most of the time. I can't afford any of the premium EVs

I would be very comfortable if I would have enough range to drive to and fro without having to recharge, just in case I have to turn back before reaching but I don't think we are there yet in terms of range if I am not mistaken.
I have a similar use case but the distance to the factory is only 120 KMs and I don't make the trip everyday.

I have booked the MG and it is expected the beginning of next year. I am installing the MG charger at our factory so that I can juice it up for my return trip home.

I believe people get around 300 KMs if they drive around 90 KM H however as your speed increases there is a fairly drastic drop in range. It isn't just speed either, it is how you accelerate and brake.

Remember the MG supplied charger fills up your battery in about 8 hours, whereas the normal 16A plug does it more than 16 hours. You may need to install a charger in both your home and your factory to be free of range anxiety as you make the trip everyday.

Cost wise it is no brainer, the MG ZS is not that much more expensive than the comparable Astor and for your running the savings will be very sizable.

Also the acceleration and silence of this car is very nice and will reduce your fatigue while commuting everyday.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 12:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post

From the reviews I have read it seems that the ZS Ev will give around 300km of range and accounting for high speed highway run it would drop to about 250km. Also I wouldn't want to drive an EV below 10% battery level on a regular basis. So you would definitely have to charge it up after your one way commute. You could also wait a year in the hope that the MG brings to India their long range ZS EV (72 KWh) which will definitely let you commute both ways without charging.

However, you also have to account for the high mileage. Most estimates say that the battery health drops 10-20% after 10 years but this doesn't account for high mileage. In your case the car would be charged twice a day instead of a regular city use case where it is charged twice a week. This would surely decrease the battery life faster, but it's difficult to say at what rate. MG gives a 1.5lac km battery warranty which in your case would happen in 2-3 years. The battery replacement costs are coming down every year but are still sizeable.

For your requirement, I would just stick to a diesel engine for now and let the EVs mature and have more data.
NT56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 12:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by angadanand View Post
Hey Everyone,
I have been contemplating buying an electric vehicle (bike / car), but before I do that, I have a few questions. There are some questions here which I believe are just rumors but some which are genuine concerns of owners. I stay in Mumbai and currently drive a 2017 Elantra.
[/list]
[*]Do you have an electric car or bike?
I own the MG ZS EV, range of 240 to 300kms depending on driving style

[*]What made you go electric?
The acceleration, silent drive and savings from fuel and maintenance.

[*]What electric cars did you testdrive and which one did you end up settling on?
Test drove the Kona, Nexon Ev and the MG.
Kona had a relatively super stiff suspension . It didnt have a Smartphone App control. The app from MG is useful to me as I use it often to check the battery level and the charging status.
Nexon - Lower range and I didnt want to experiment with Tata's first gen EV

[*]Do you use it daily?
Yes, 20 -40kms daily drive.

[*]Where do you charge your car currently?
In my apartment's basement car park.

[*]How often do you charge?
Once in 5 - 7 days.

[*]Have you ever run out of battery?
No. Majority of my drive is city based and the occasional long drives are usually well planned.

[*]Do you have an app or something that tells you of if there are chargers nearby?
Yes, I use Zeon, Tata power ez charge, Relux, Kurrent. I use Zeon most of the time due to its reliability

[*]Have you attempted any road trips?
Yes. Chennai to Coimbatore, Chennai to Ooty, Chennai to Yercaud and regular Chennai to Bengaluru/Pondicherry trips.

[*]What is your contingency plan, incase of a flat battery?
In such a highly unlikely scenario, my dependence would be on the road side assistance from MG that arranges towing to nearest charge point.

[*]What is the change you’ve seen in your monthly electricity bill?
Approx Rs 1200 to Rs 1500 extra.
docelectric2020 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 20:18   #20
BHPian

Do you have an electric car or bike?
- Nexon EV

What made you go electric?
- Being in NCR region had to sell my perfectly well managed 9 years old Manza at price of peanuts. so wanted to replace with vehicle which i can keep for long and able to drive during odd-even days. Environment factors was also a big influencer to lean towards EV.

What electric cars did you testdrive and which one did you end up settling on?
- None apart from Nexon, due to budget constraints Kona and MG never made in my list. if not EV then i would have gone for Petrol Seltos or Rapid.

Do you use it daily?
- During Covid : No,
- Otherwise : Yes.

Where do you charge your car currently?
- Apart from long trips, at home through a regular 16AMP plug installed in water proof casing (ziptron box) provided by TATA.

How often do you charge?
- Every 5-7 days, 180-200KM of run.

Have you ever run out of battery?
- Not ran out, however once in my out stationed trip I reached a fast charger which did not accept my vehicle. i did not had enough charge to reach other fast charger.

In such situations, you can
1. See if there are any companies (like hopcharge in Gurgaon) who provide portable charging solutions. they are like on demand chargers where their vehicle would come with a big battery bank and support you to charge your vehicle.
2. "Tow charge" which tries to leverage on regeneration to charge the vehicle. NexonEV would charge 1% per KM when towed at speed of 40KM/hr in D mode.
3. Call RSA.

Do you have an app or something that tells you of if there are chargers nearby?
Currently Plugshare is best to find commercial and community chargers., however you will need to use individual operator applications like Tata ez charge, Zeon, ChargeZone, Statiq, Xobolt, E-fill, Fortum, ChargeGrid, EV Plugs and many others to starts and charging. The 3 OIL OMCs (IOCL, BPCL, HPCL) and Reliance-BP have also announced their plans to come in a big way into charging business .

Have you attempted any road trips?
- I have completed a Delhi - Mumbai - Pune - Mumbai - Delhi trip in November2021-December2021 timeframe. Search for "Noise Faktory" and "Anjnay Vlogs" on Youtube. They have done Delhi-Leh , Delhi-Goa , Jammu to Kanyakumari, Pune to Goa and many other trips.

What is your contingency plan, incase of a flat battery?
- I have a 25mtrs extension cable so that i can request a hotel / petrol pump to allow me some time to charge the vehicle.
- Kept towing cable to do tow charge if required.
- Check for service like HopCharge
- Call RSA

What is the change you’ve seen in your monthly electricity bill?
- Car takes 25 units electricity for 20% to 100% charging and give me approx. 180-200KM. Charger take a Load of around 2.8KW. For my running of around 800-1000KM it adds around 100-120units of electricity per month.

Last edited by amit_arya : 8th December 2021 at 20:24. Reason: 1-2 typos and readability enhancements.
amit_arya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 23:08   #21
BHPian

[*]Do you have an electric car or bike?

Yes. MG ZS EV.

[*]What made you go electric?

Just wanted to have an EV. It is fun. It saves money and helps the environment. I like to be an early adopter. I bought a Toyota Prius Hybrid electric car back in2004 when hybrid technology was new.

[*]What electric cars did you testdrive and which one did you end up settling on?

Hyundai Kona, Tata Nexon and MG ZS, Jaguar iPace and Audi eTron. Settled on the ZS due to higher range, safety with a EuroNCAP 5 star rating, 6 airbags, stability control and in my case, ADAS (mine is a UK import).

[*]Do you use it daily?

I don’t work so there is no daily commute. However I use it several times a week.

[*]Where do you charge your car currently?

Mostly at my parking spot at the apartment. At fast chargers while on road trips and several malls and buildings provide complimentary charging as well. Occasionally at friends’ homes as well. There is electricity everywhere!

[*]How often do you charge?

Once or twice a week. More often during road trips.

[*]Have you ever run out of battery?

No. With so many fast chargers around, there is no fear of that. Long trips have to be planned keeping a safety buffer in hand. I charge it once it goes to 25% at the latest.

[*]Do you have an app or something that tells you of if there are chargers nearby?

Yes. There are plenty of apps. Plugshare, Statiq, Tata Power, ElectreeFi etc.

[*]Have you attempted any road trips?

Yes. I do out of town trips often. Just finished a 1200km trip. No issues at all. There plenty of chargers in most places.

[*]What is your contingency plan, incase of a flat battery?

Very unlikely as I plan the trips beforehand keeping in mind the location of the chargers as well as having a backup option. In the unlikely scenario, you can plug-in at any hotel, restaurant, office etc. There is electricity everywhere. I have an extension cord as well. MG has a RSA where they will send a truck to charge you if needed as well. We also have EV forums and groups where we can discuss available chargers and where memebers can help out by allowing people to charge at their homes or offices but it is rarely needed nowadays.

[*]What is the change you’ve seen in your monthly electricity bill?
An increase of around 500 per month.

Overall really happy with my EV.

Last edited by Lobogris : 8th December 2021 at 23:14.
Lobogris is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 13:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_arya View Post
2. "Tow charge" which tries to leverage on regeneration to charge the vehicle. NexonEV would charge 1% per KM when towed at speed of 40KM/hr in D mode.
Is this safe? I read the manual thoroughly and it said that during breakdown, these are recommended methods :

1. Carry on flatbed recovery truck OR
2. Tow the car with front wheels on dollies if lifted from rear OR
3. Tow the car with rear wheels on ground if lifted from front

Is towing in D mode safe for motor and all? I’ve seen a video where they charge a tesla by towing too, just curious about Nexon EV
Old 9th December 2021, 14:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shresth_EV View Post
Is this safe?
I know of just 2 cases (from other social platforms) where the same was used and the vehicles are doing good even after 6 months. Hence, I would not hesitate to use the same for some quick charge if required.

Conceptually one is just simulating a high gradient downhill drive in a flat terrain and these are not every day hacks but once in a blue-moon to save the day.
amit_arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 19:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_arya View Post
Currently Plugshare is best to find commercial and community chargers., however you will need to use individual operator applications like Tata ez charge, Zeon, ChargeZone, Statiq, Xobolt, E-fill, Fortum, ChargeGrid, EV Plugs and many others to starts and charging. The 3 OIL OMCs (IOCL, BPCL, HPCL) and Reliance-BP have also announced their plans to come in a big way into charging business .
I downloaded Plugshare just to see what chargers are available in Mumbai, and was astonished to find the number of chargers on Mumbai-Pune route alone. Looking at the list of apps you have listed, it seems till someone comes up with an aggregator app or government forces them to expose APIs, EV owners will have to keep multiple apps.

Petrol pumps are best suited for setting up EV charging infrastructure. They already have space and electricity. It would make sense to start serving EVs.

Quote:
Search for "Noise Faktory" and "Anjnay Vlogs" on Youtube.
Been following Noise Faktory on YouTube. Very useful videos. They have managed to charge their EV at roadside dhabas with their portable charging setup. They even carry a smart plug with them so they can measure how much electricity they consumed and can pay for such electricity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks