Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2021, 21:26   #1
BHPian

I have a leash and want to get a dog | Got solar power, which EV? | EDIT: Nexon EV it is

In Gujarat we have a saying which goes like this: "One has a leash and hence one is looking to get a dog!"-meaning trying to maximise or optimise one's resources. Get best value for the money.

On a similar vein, i have an issue:

I am building a new house in a farm house scheme and am going to install about 11 kw solar power. Question is that selling excess power to the grid (aka GEB) pays a measly Rs 2.25 per kwh whereas buying from them can go up to Rs 7.5 per kwh. One may argue that the installed capacity of solar be trimmed down, but taking into account the future requirement as well as mood, i am inclined to splurge now rather than add incremental over time-involving both time and hardship.

So the leash is there (11 KW solar) and hence looking for a dog( a EV car for local running around). I know this doesn't sound right since we are investing in more capacity than required today - a waste.
But seriously looking for an EV car- Nexon or Tigor? or something else?
earthian is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 21:36   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: I have a leash and want to get a dog | Got solar power, which EV? | EDIT: Nexon EV it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
But seriously looking for an EV car- Nexon or Tigor? or something else?
How about something hatke ?

Since you have a farm, get a small goods vehicle, convert it to electric. Use this in the farm. Unless you take it out, you dont have to be worried about registration etc.

Btw, recently came across a company that is working on a new line of electric power tillers/weeders.

Since you dont really need a car, why not something that can be used for the farm work ?
condor is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 08:17   #3
BHPian

re: I have a leash and want to get a dog | Got solar power, which EV? | EDIT: Nexon EV it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
How about something hatke ?

Since you have a farm, get a small goods vehicle, convert it to electric. Use this in the farm. Unless you take it out, you dont have to be worried about registration etc.

Btw, recently came across a company that is working on a new line of electric power tillers/weeders.

Since you dont really need a car, why not something that can be used for the farm work ?
You are right. i really don't need a car. But very interested in your comment about electric power tillers. Could you please share some details? Thanks.

Converting a small goods vehicle to electric is a doable idea. If only i was 20 years younger!
earthian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 09:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Fair enough excuse to get yourself an EV but if I were you I'd quit mucking about with solar power and quickly buy myself an ATV or a buggy of some sorts to rip around in or you could be sensible and buy a pick up truck I suppose
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 09:32   #5
BHPian

I think this is the dog you are looking for.

Sonalika Electric tractor. Tiger electric.
100% torque at 100% times.

It fits your requirement to a T.

LINK
fordday is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 09:42   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Tigor (if sensitive to price) or Nexon are your best and only affordable options.

Could consider the sexy Ather or Ola S1 too, as the requirement is a local runabout, but I haven't seen you posting in the 2-wheeler forum. So not sure if this is an option.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 10:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question is that selling excess power to the grid (aka GEB) pays a measly Rs 2.25 per kwh whereas buying from them can go up to Rs 7.5 per kwh.
I would still suggest to sell to the grid, because of the following reasons.
  1. It will help the environment, someone using coal powered will receive clean energy
  2. Any money earned, is still INCOME, use this for donations or hobbies, money better spend!
  3. Buying a car for no need, is a wasted expense. You will hit depreciation also on this dead asset which will have limited running.
  4. What will you do with this vehicle when your farm need exceeds the solar supply? Charge it by paying 7.5 INR per KWH??
2000rpm is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 10:06   #8
Team-BHP Support

Since you’re building a farm, I’d actually recommend getting yourself an actual dog. What better place to enjoy man’s best friend.

Coming to EVs, I think the Nexon is the bare minimum EV one should go for if your budget supports it. If not, perhaps wait for the Altroz if its cheaper.

I like the idea of an electric Ather too, if you’re open to a two wheeler. If its just for local movement and you don’t actually need another vehicle, this may be a more sensible expense.
Axe77 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 11:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Fair enough excuse to get yourself an EV but if I were you I'd quit mucking about with solar power and quickly buy myself an ATV or a buggy of some sorts to rip around in or you could be sensible and buy a pick up truck I suppose
Its an idea, but maybe i am 20 years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post

Thank you. That was useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tigor (if sensitive to price) or Nexon are your best and only affordable options.

Could consider the sexy Ather or Ola S1 too, as the requirement is a local runabout, but I haven't seen you posting in the 2-wheeler forum. So not sure if this is an option.
The Nexon looks good and considering my Amdavad mindset, offers great value. 20 years too late for the scooter though, i am afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I would still suggest to sell to the grid, because of the following reasons.
  1. It will help the environment, someone using coal powered will receive clean energy
  2. Any money earned, is still INCOME, use this for donations or hobbies, money better spend!
  3. Buying a car for no need, is a wasted expense. You will hit depreciation also on this dead asset which will have limited running.
  4. What will you do with this vehicle when your farm need exceeds the solar supply? Charge it by paying 7.5 INR per KWH??
Good points. Let me mull about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Since you’re building a farm, I’d actually recommend getting yourself an actual dog. What better place to enjoy man’s best friend.
Very true. Actually i am considering getting two dogs. My daughter is pushing me to adopt strays. let's see.

Quote:
Coming to EVs, I think the Nexon is the bare minimum EV one should go for if your budget supports it. If not, perhaps wait for the Altroz if its cheaper.
Nexon seems to be the front runner, as of now.
earthian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 11:15   #10
BHPian

Quote:
In Gujarat we have a saying which goes like this: "One has a leash and hence one is looking to get a dog!"-meaning trying to maximise or optimise one's resources. Get best value for the money.

*SNIP*
Heheheheheh apologies for going off-topic, but this reminds me of a guy I used to know back in the early 80s - his way of bumming a cigarette off people was "I have a matchbox, can you give me a cigarette?"

Cheers
tilt is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 11:39   #11
BHPian

First of all, congratulations on your new farmhouse!

I don't want to belabor the points that others have already shared. If I were you I'd just do the following:
  1. Buy farm equipment that would result in you managing your farm and yields better (and hooking them up to your solar power)
  2. Get an electric scooter for local movements. You can even convert this to a delivery scooter model (permanent or plug-n-play setup), as a transport vehicle for your farm products. This would make for a very low depreciation hit and an easy to manage vehicle for commute.
  3. Sell the excess power to the grid. Ignore the income; you're doing this for the planet's good

Last edited by krishnakumar : 26th November 2021 at 11:41.
krishnakumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 11:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post

It fits your requirement to a T.

LINK
Downloaded the brochure and had a look. Seems to fit my requirement but unsure about the torque output. Let me check if there are any dealers here.
earthian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 16:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Very few get a chance to build a farm house. Why not take the opportunity to indulge in farming and related activities? Invest the money you would like to splurge on for a car on farming equipment etc.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 16:42   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Very few get a chance to build a farm house. Why not take the opportunity to indulge in farming and related activities? Invest the money you would like to splurge on for a car on farming equipment etc.
You are right. I suffered a stroke a year back and had 3 brain operations. Lying in the ICU, I resolved to at least enjoy the land I had with so much care and pain obtained. Have a few chickoo and lemon trees as well as gooseberry and jamun and look forward to grow my own veggies and have a couple of dogs

This song captures the mood.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th November 2021 at 19:35. Reason: Back to back posts merged
earthian is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 16:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are right. I suffered a stroke a year back and had 3 brain operations. Lying in the ICU, I resolved to at least enjoy the land I had with so much care and pain obtained. Have a few chickoo and lemon trees as well as gooseberry and jamun and look forward to grow my own veggies and have a couple of dogs
Great thought sir. If I were you, I would first get my hands dirty on my kitchen garden. Trust me, gardening gives you such peace of mind, it relieves you of a lot of stress. Eating home grown veggies is great for health. If you are still flush with cash, indulge yourself in getting a small pond, some ducks and you will have good amount of things to spend time on!
Raghu M is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks