Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2021, 14:43   #31
BANNED

Re: (Not) a problem of plenty | My Tata Nexon EV Review

Few queries/observations:
1. you are close to Mangaluru but booked the car in Mysuru or was it another town? could you let me know where you bought it?
2. You did the right thing by swapping the tyres, I had two sidewall punctures on the MRF tyres, and have changed it with Continental ones, the noise level is still lower than before.
3. Don't go by DTE, it only shows the range based on how you drive for the past few KMs. Use the Wh/Km to gauge your efficiency.
4. There are 3rd party cruise control systems in development, you can use them as Add-on, checkout "Aha NexCruise" on YouTube for more info.
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 14:51   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
One suggestion form me , please install at least 2 KW of solar rooftop at your place , will cost approx 1 Lakh rupees but will make your travel absolutely free with zero carbon footprint of yours .
A 2 KW solar panel system will help charge Nexon using only a 16A socket? Or can we use the home installed fast charger as well to charge the EV?
raghupro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 16:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations on buying the most practical and VFM EV currently available in the country. Having owned a humble Mahindra e2o for the last 3+ years, I can very well relate to most of your experiences, be it the awesome NVH levels, the amazing torque delivered right from the word go, or the infamous range anxiety! All that said, one must test drive an EV once before finalizing any other car, if in the market for a change. My e2o is my default point-A-to-point-B car with ample range for city runabouts, even for a big city like Bangalore. Once used to the convenience and comfort of an EV, especially while battling crazy city traffic, it is impossible to switch back to an ICE car for that use case.

As @speedmiester pointed out, waiting for the higher-range Nexon EV slated to be launched next year - sounds quite promising and I might just trade-in my e2o for it.

All the best and please keep this thread updated!

Last edited by cool_dube : 28th December 2021 at 16:40.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 16:50   #34
BHPian

Congratulations and thanks for the detailed write-up.

Your review is very informative and answers most queries for prospective EV owners. In due time, I expect my next vehicle to be an EV, and hopefully a TATA again. Your review has definitely nudged me closer to this decision whenever I go for it (hopefully with the extended range).
vasanthn21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 16:54   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghupro View Post
A 2 KW solar panel system will help charge Nexon using only a 16A socket? Or can we use the home installed fast charger as well to charge the EV?
If you want to have 15amps steady output direct fom solar inverter to charge the EV, you will need atleast a 6KW/7KW solar system and this will be usable only during the peak sunlight hours (say 11am to 3pm). On the other hand, if you travel 40km/day and need 5..6 units to recharge the battery, a 2KW solar ongrid system will easily generate the same during the day and push to the grid. You can then charge EV overnight from the grid/mains in your house.
skumare is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 19:48   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider24 View Post
Congratulations on new car purchase.
1. All your testing results are under real world ideal scenarios, however I would like to know the car's behavior in emergency driving conditions, say a driver has to reach somewhere in hurry and DTE is low but still within the target distance, the SoC is lower than 25% or even lower like 15%, then if you have to use the car to extract high performance then how fast the charge drops and range reduces?
Thanks.
There will be no change in performance till 10% SoC. However Sports mode can not be engaged below 25% SoC. Lowest SoC I have achieved so far is 12% and I did not see any performance degradation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider24 View Post
2. How does driving range and SoC gets affected by passenger & luggage load.
More load will consume more battery. I tested alone without any load. Will keep an eye on consumption when the car is loaded and report here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
Few queries/observations:
1. you are close to Mangaluru but booked the car in Mysuru or was it another town? could you let me know where you bought it?
2. You did the right thing by swapping the tyres, I had two sidewall punctures on the MRF tyres, and have changed it with Continental ones, the noise level is still lower than before.
3. Don't go by DTE, it only shows the range based on how you drive for the past few KMs. Use the Wh/Km to gauge your efficiency.
4. There are 3rd party cruise control systems in development, you can use them as Add-on, checkout "Aha NexCruise" on YouTube for more info.
1. Booked and got the car delivered at Puttur.
2. Thanks. Right tyres make a lot of difference in driving experience
3. Thanks. Following Wh/km.
4. Have you received your CC unit ? Please keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Many congratulations on buying the most practical and VFM EV currently available in the country.

As @speedmiester pointed out, waiting for the higher-range Nexon EV slated to be launched next year - sounds quite promising and I might just trade-in my e2o for it.

All the best and please keep this thread updated!
Thanks. Will keep updating.
Extended range version will be really good for longer drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Congratulations and thanks for the detailed write-up.
Thanks.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 19:54   #37
BHPian

Congratulations on your well thought of EV world entry. Very nicely covered and extremely helpful for potential future owners. Waiting for some long term usage review. Also need to see range in different seasons.
sukhbirST is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 20:24   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghupro View Post
NO, a solar rooftop doesn't charge the vehicle directly , but what it does is to produce 8 units of electricity approx on daily basis which turns out to be 240 units / month . These units in turn cancel your metered units that you have drawn from the grid . So in 240 units you can charge the Nexon at least 9 times (It takes approx 27-28 units to fully charge the battery of Nexon) and considering a modest range of 180 kms on full charge you get 1620 KMs/ month absolutely free and with zero carbon foot print or what they say as green miles .
quattroa4 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 20:45   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
NO, a solar rooftop doesn't charge the vehicle directly , but what it does is to produce 8 units of electricity approx on daily basis which turns out to be 240 units / month . These units in turn cancel your metered units that you have drawn from the grid . So in 240 units you can charge the Nexon at least 9 times (It takes approx 27-28 units to fully charge the battery of Nexon) and considering a modest range of 180 kms on full charge you get 1620 KMs/ month absolutely free and with zero carbon foot print or what they say as green miles .
Makes sense. Appreciate your response.
raghupro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 21:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

That is an impressive review. Very impressive indeed. I think you should be on the TATA marketing team, can easily convince a guy to buy an EV against an ICE car. I almost felt it would be good to own one too. Maybe the next time. I see you are a man of detail, all the aspects have been covered pretty well. Wish you happy carbon free driving!
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 21:28   #41
BHPian

Re: Some observations

• Cables routed underbody look exposed to elements. But each one of them is protected by an extra layer of plastic pipe (in addition to good insulation). Should be good enough to protect from random stone chips.

First of all many congratulations on your new car, black color looks stunning!
Are these cables survive rodent attack ? Recently, my car was a victim and couldn't stop myself from asking this question after seeing the photos.
Old 28th December 2021, 21:48   #42
BHPian

Re: Some observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhbirST View Post
Congratulations on your well thought of EV world entry. Very nicely covered and extremely helpful for potential future owners. Waiting for some long term usage review. Also need to see range in different seasons.
Thanks. Will keep updating my findings.
Needs to see if there is any difference in rainy season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
That is an impressive review.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviGowda View Post
First of all many congratulations on your new car, black color looks stunning!
Are these cables survive rodent attack ? Recently, my car was a victim and couldn't stop myself from asking this question after seeing the photos.
Thanks. Cables are insulated by orange pipe and may give some basic protection against rodent attack. But will not hold candle against a determined rodent.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 22:12   #43
BHPian

Re: Range anxiety!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
After I returned home from first trip with 12% SoC, I charged the car overnight to 100%, this time using newly installed ZipTron box. Charging speed was same as other 16A socket (~10% in 1 hour).
Congratulation on your new car. Is there any additional benefit of using the ZipTron box over a normal 16A socket considering that the charging speed is the same?
Old 28th December 2021, 23:21   #44
BHPian

Re: Range anxiety!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
Congratulation on your new car. Is there any additional benefit of using the ZipTron box over a normal 16A socket considering that the charging speed is the same?
It has a seal and cover, so it’s a little more water resistant and safe than to plug in in open air during monsoon
Shresth_EV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 23:32   #45

Hi,
1. What accessories are being provided with the xz dark? I booked one and have been offered only mud flaps by the dealer.
2. How much did you get for trading in the tires?

Most Viewed