Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2021, 16:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Kia EV6 sets new world record for shortest charging time while crossing USA; beats Tesla Model S

Mod Note: Our Kia EV6 Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Kia's new EV6 electric offering is said to have entered the Guinness Book of World Records for achieving the shortest charging time while crossing the United States of America.

As per reports, the Kia EV6 required just 7 hours 10 minutes and 1 second of charging to complete a 7-day journey between New York and Los Angeles - separated by 2880.5 miles (4635 km).

Kia EV6 sets new world record for shortest charging time while crossing USA; beats Tesla Model S-kiaev6worldrecord1.jpg

The new record beats the old one set by the Tesla Model S by more than 5 hours. The Model S created the record a couple of years ago, requiring 12 hours 48 minutes and 19 seconds of charging time.

Kia also stated that the average charging time during the EV6's journey across US was just 20 minutes.

The Kia EV6 is the brand's first fully-electric global model to be based on the new e-GMP (Electric Global Modular Platform) architecture. The new Kia EV6 is scheduled to go on sale in the US markets sometime in 2022.

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by Aditya : 25th May 2022 at 18:08. Reason: Link to preview added
RahulNagaraj is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 18:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kia EV6 sets new world record for shortest charging time while crossing USA; beats Tesla Model S

Where did they charge them, hope not on Tesla’s supercharger network. That would be ironic!

Jokes apart, I really like this tag team - The Hyundai Ionic 5 and the Kia EV6. One would be hard pressed to find similarities even though both are from the same family. Personally speaking, I like the Ioniq styling a bit more with that 8-bit theme giving it some DeLorean vibes.

Wonder why didn’t they get both along for this attempt. Sure it wouldn’t be identical, but, if both managed to beat the Tesla time, it would give good material to their marketing department(s).
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 19:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia EV6 sets new world record for shortest charging time while crossing USA; beats Tesla Model S

So the original record was set in 2015.

Tesla model S
Total time 58 hours 55 mins
Charging time 12 hours 48 mins
Driving time ~46 hours or less than 2 days (not sure if any other breaks are taken)

Kia EV6
Total time 7 days
Charging time 7 hours 10 mins
Driving time ~6 days 17 hours(not sure about breaks)

They are fast charging and hypermiling, I guess a 2021 EV should do much better than a 2015 EV, I do not see the need to hypermile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Where did they charge them, hope not on Tesla’s supercharger network. That would be ironic!
Superchargers are not open for other brands as of now.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 6th December 2021 at 19:51.
SKC-auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 02:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Superchargers are not open for other brands as of now.
A pilot project has started in some countries. It will be foolish for Tesla not to open these up to non Tesla cars. They make more money from non Tesla EV's.
Link
Old 7th December 2021, 15:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
A pilot project has started in some countries. It will be foolish for Tesla not to open these up to non Tesla cars. They make more money from non Tesla EV's.
Link
Yes, I know about the pilot project in Norway, that is the reason I used "as of now", also this record is in US where Tesla uses it's own plugs unlike the CCS2 used in europe, the EV6 is not compatible to Tesla superchargers(i don't remember if an adapter exists).

Mod Note: Our Kia EV6 Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 25th May 2022 at 18:08. Reason: Link to preview added
SKC-auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks