Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2022, 16:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Tata Sierra to return as an EV only

New Sierra to be Tata’s first dedicated electric vehicle; will sit on new Sigma pure-EV platform; there will be no IC engine versions.

Name:  20220107021341_Tata_Sierra_render.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  53.1 KB

Quote:
it has now been green-lit for production, and what makes it particularly significant is that it will be Tata’s first stand-alone EV-only model, and the first on a new ‘Born Electric’ platform.
Quote:
unlike the three-door layout of the original, or the unique ‘four-door’ layout (one door on the driver side, two doors on the passenger side) of the 2020 concept, the production Sierra EV will feature a conventional five-door layout.
Quote:
the new Sierra, other than some design cues that may pay homage to the original, will have little in common with the original.
Quote:
While development of the Sierra might already be underway, the all-electric SUV is still a while away from a market debut, which likely won’t happen before 2025.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 7th January 2022 at 16:46.
Venkatesh is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 17:00   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Tata Sierra to return as an EV only

Hope Tata doesn’t give it the same front-end design like the Punch/Harrier/Safari, IMHO it’s becoming too common on the roads. And please Tata give it an AWD system.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 17:31   #3
BHPian

Tight lipped on product pipe line for long, TML finally starts connecting the dots. The Autocar render looks so appealing! Hope we will get more details on it soon from genuine sources.

Some pics from the previous auto expo !Scoop! Tata Sierra to return as an EV only-9f94116a639b439ebce8efbb72d75f33.jpeg

Scoop! Tata Sierra to return as an EV only-ca3384f6101e4c18bfdc661ee81bbf75.jpeg

Name:  BB3A763D699343D18B190DF82C6289E7.jpeg
Views: 1076
Size:  60.6 KB

Name:  05FC787AD06845E5AF60AEE5EBC3EB4C.jpeg
Views: 1113
Size:  55.6 KB

Name:  A6E4B326C8374943A3F3D08C61A94CE6.jpeg
Views: 1061
Size:  67.0 KB
TorqueIndia is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 17:47   #4
BHPian

I'm genuinely impressed by Tata on this one. That sounds so cool!! Never believed they will green light this one, especially because it was an EV that is going to be built from scratch. But now they're going all in to invest on EVs. And nothing sounds cooler than an electric Sierra. Bring it, Tata! But yes I hope they differentiate the design elements, especially the front, from their ICE range.
Also, Pratap Bose said that it is much easier to put AWD in EVs compared to ICE. So if the Sierra concept goes into production, AWD will definitely be in consideration.
udaikalra01 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 18:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Hope Tata doesn’t give it the same front-end design like the Punch/Harrier/Safari, IMHO it’s becoming too common on the roads. And please Tata give it an AWD system.
Too late to wish for a non-Safari face, the Sierra EV concept already had that face so we already know what it is gonna look like, and it is disappointing. Regarding AWD, I don't think they will ever offer it because Tata is more about pleasing masses than enthusiasts!

Rest said, I would really want Tata to place the Sierra EV as a sub-4m 2 door concept vehicle with AWD instead of a FWD 5 door as the Sierra brand is more like a niche brand and this is my last hope of getting an enthusiast focused car or SUV from them.

Thinking about it, if Sierra EV AWD becomes a reality, would really be a good option next to a diesel Gurkha, petrol Thar and hybrid 5 door Jimny for the enthusiasts depending of what level of environment friendliness they like.

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 7th January 2022 at 18:43.
theAutomaniac is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 19:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

That's brilliant. The iconic Sierra name in an EV avatar will be brilliant.
I am hoping that Tata Motors doesn't skimp on the AWD hardware for this important car.
Also since it's a ground up platform hope that it can offer higher range closer to 500Kms which will make it a lucrative proposition.
speedmiester is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 22:13   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Just as expected.
A 5 door 4.3m echuvee with body coloured B pillar and blackened C pillar.

But kinda excited for it, simply because it is a born EV. Hope Tata learns from other manufacturers and gives the new vehicles RWD and AWD options, unlike say, Toyota who still wants to hold onto FWD even in a born EV.
Hope Tata also starts giving proper frunks instead of wasting the space.

Though it being the first vehicle on the Sigma platform, and not expected before 2025. Long wait.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 02:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

A well disguised left-rear door (they will offer it) will look amazing.

Maybe Tata should consider bringing back the Estate as a 7 seater version of the Sierra.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 06:52   #9
Team-BHP Support

I would love to buy this but hope they keep it to up to or within Harrier size and not bigger than that. Will make a perfect city use SUV. Hope specs wise it will match up to the upcoming 2022 higher spec MG ZS EV. That would make it a lovely competitor in the 25L on road price zone.

I always loved the Sierra brand and am delighted that it will return in this custom EV platform guise.

Look forward to this.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 09:32   #10
BHPian

I really hope and pray that Tata brings the Sierra EV by maintaining the bits and pieces as seen on the concept. 2 doors, wraparound glass area, all wheel drive and electric propulsion - it's going to be awesome! Maybe Tata could go the Thar way of introducing a 5 door version too. They can address multiple segments that way. As a kid, had a few scale models of the Sierra and I just couldn't help caress the huge glass area flowing smoothly around the side edges. If and when this thing hit the markets, I can finally pacify myself. And Tata, while you're at it, bring an EV Estate also
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 10:40   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Damn, loved the Sierra during those olden times. I fondly remember all the trips in my uncles Sierra! I somehow feel a strong urge to make this my first EV.

Let me keep my fingers crossed for the moment.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 11:17   #12
BHPian

I was excited by this until I saw the actual timeline (2025) which is still 3-4 years away. It will be more than 5 years from concept (auto expo 2020) to launch (2025). Companies need to be more agile and dynamic and work with a sense of urgency. Tata may be ahead of others in EV sales but that's because others are not even trying. Tata revealed at the time of the Nexon EV launch that they will release 4 EVs in 2 years and already has shown Altroz EV at the auto expo in Feb 2020. It's has been 2 years since that and the only EV that has been launched or upgraded is the Tigor EV with a slightly bigger battery.

The only saving grace for the companies operating in India is tensions with China. That is the reason why companies like MG, BYD are skeptical about expansion in the Indian market. The EV models that Chinese companies have in their home market are world-class and price competitive. If they come to India, they will take over the Indian passenger car market in a few years just like they did the Indian smartphone market. They are already expanding in European markets and seeing decent success.

Here are some examples of Chinese models and their price points:

Hozon NETA Vpro (78,900 rmb = Rs 9.2 lakhs): Almost the same battery capacity (38.53 kWh) as Hyundai Kona.

Scoop! Tata Sierra to return as an EV only-neta1.jpg
Scoop! Tata Sierra to return as an EV only-neta2.jpg

BYD Dolphin: (11 lakhs for 30 kWh capacity same as Nexon. Rs 12 lakhs for 44.5 kWh battery same as MG ZS EV)

Scoop! Tata Sierra to return as an EV only-dolphin1.jpg
Scoop! Tata Sierra to return as an EV only-dolphin2.jpg

These are just some basic models at very good prices. There are tens of models from both startups like Xpeng, Nio, and established companies like SAIC, BYD, Geely, etc... in the Rs 15 to 30 lakhs price bracket.
sri_tesla is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 12:16   #13
BHPian

The Autocar rendering look appalling. Looks like they took the Sumo Grande image and photoshopped it a bit!

Last edited by GTO : 12th January 2022 at 10:37. Reason: Poorly Typed Post
aditya79india is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 12:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post

BYD Dolphin: (11 lakhs for 30 kWh capacity same as Nexon. Rs 12 lakhs for 44.5 kWh battery same as MG ZS EV)
BYD dolphin is a wonderful VFM car, with a slightly bigger dimensions than Honda Jazz and costing almost the same. This car can do 300km at highway speeds, comes with BYDs latest Blade batteries.

Tata needs to up their game, hope they launch Nexon with 45kwh battery at the same price, bring in battery and motor production to India at mass scale. Importing batteries and motors from China will not make you the leader.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 8th January 2022 at 12:25.
SKC-auto is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 13:44   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

It was first launched in 1991. The last ICE version launched in July 1997 on the earliest Tata X2 platform was turbocharged (same old fuel injected 1996 cc diesel engine) with a 90 bhp power output, but with cheap black, plastic fairings that looked good when new, but faded and even fell off affording a neglected and tired look. The emission conformed to the then BS II standards.

The new EV's rear treatment draws inspiration from the Tata Sumo 2nd generation to some extent. But this Tata Sumo second generation introduced in 2009 failed to take off saleswise.

It is apparent that Tata Motors is encashing on the brand equity of the Sierra that had its own loyal following way back in its prime years. Let us hope their strategy will work well and ensure success for the new Sierra EV.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks