Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2022, 19:32   #1
BHPian

My transition to Electric Vehicles | MG ZS EV and Ather 450 Plus

So EVs are pretty obviously the future, but understandably, there is some apprehension about shifting to them primarily due to their high initial downpayment and also the ever-present 'range anxiety. So here I am to share my experience with you with my personal vehicles, and hopefully, I'll address most of your conundrums. Firstly, a little background about the previous vehicles my family (My parents and I) have had. We started off with a humble WagonR Lxi in 2006, and it served us well for a good 10 years before we bid it adieu.

My transition to Electric Vehicles | MG ZS EV and Ather 450 Plus-wagon-r.jpeg
Our WagonR and yes, that's me

In the meantime, in about 2013 or so, we also bought a Hyundai Verna SX(O) Petrol AT, which was our primary car. My parents work in the same institution, so they used to commute together and only occasionally used both cars on the same day. This helped us keep fuel costs relatively low. Plus, this was when petrol prices never crossed the Rs 60/ Litre mark. Anyway, once we sold the WagonR, we were looking at a small city hatchback with high fuel efficiency, as this was when the infamous "Bangalore Traffic" started to show its face for the first time. We finally settled on the Renault Kwid RTX (O) AMT because of its high promised fuel efficiency of about 24 kmpl. However, during the five odd years that it was with us, it returned only 14 kmpl in the city and around 18kmpl on the highway. The Verna returned only 9 kmpl in the city and around 14 kmpl on the highway. This wasn't excellent fuel economy but was manageable as petrol prices, which had, although gone up, was still around the 75-80 Rs/ Litre range. This all changed when two significant incidents took place:

My transition to Electric Vehicles | MG ZS EV and Ather 450 Plus-verna.jpeg
The Verna

My transition to Electric Vehicles | MG ZS EV and Ather 450 Plus-kwid.jpeg
The Kwid

1) The petrol price slowly crept up to almost 112 Rs/ Litre in Bangalore (It reached 118 Rs at one point!!!)
2) The service cost for both the Verna as well as the Kwid skyrocketed at the company-owned service centres

The Contenders and the Decision - This was when my family decided to replace the Verna with an electric car. This was in mid-2021, and the three options available were the Tata Nexon EV, the MG ZS EV, and the Hyundai Kona. We ruled out the Hyundai Kona as it hadn't been updated for the current model year and due to its high promises in terms of range and non-deliverance of anything remotely close to that. We initially did consider the Nexon EV, but considering that this was going to replace our Verna, which we also used for occasional long-distance journeys, primarily to Chennai, Coimbatore and Madurai (where some of my other family members reside), or to nearby hill stations, we needed a car that was safe, had a relatively good driving range, good service network, fairly spacious interiors and also some modern tech like android auto. We took a test drive of the MG ZS EV and immediately loved the gorgeous interiors with that beautiful sunroof. When I drove it, I knew it was the right car. The performance was excellent, as was the ride quality. It simply wafted over potholes and did so with style. The proportions were good, and it looked composed and elegant. There were ample safety features too, with ABS, EBD, ESP, 6 Airbags, Hill Hold, Hill Start Assist, Adaptive Reverse camera, All four Disc Brakes etc. The SA was also prompt, and the dealership (Electronic City) answered all our queries and even brought the car to our house a few days later to see if we could fit the vehicle in our portico. We booked the car about a month later, and the SA said that there was a blue MG ZS EV ready and it would take about 2 weeks for all the registration formalities to get over, whereas the other colours would take 45 days to be delivered. We agreed on the blue vehicle, and the total on-road price at the time was about 26.5 lakhs. About a week and a half later, we got a call saying that the car was ready for delivery, we did our PDI right before the delivery and found no issues, and we happily took it home.

My transition to Electric Vehicles | MG ZS EV and Ather 450 Plus-outside-1.jpeg
My transition to Electric Vehicles | MG ZS EV and Ather 450 Plus-outside-2.jpeg
My transition to Electric Vehicles | MG ZS EV and Ather 450 Plus-roof.jpeg
My transition to Electric Vehicles | MG ZS EV and Ather 450 Plus-interior.jpeg

It's been about 5 months, and we've driven just about 3000 kms and here are my observations so far.

1. City Range - The Claimed Range is 419 Kms, but in reality, you can expect 350-360 Kms in the city with the AC used only when required and normal driving (No extremely harsh acceleration and braking).

2. Long Distance - We have made one long-distance trip on the highway to Yercaud, and I drove it like a regular car with speeds ranging between 80 kmph to 140 kmph and the car was absolutely planted which negligible body roll. There are a fair amount of chargers towards Tamilnadu, so we had no issues. To be on the safe side, we did charge in between at Krishnagiri and Salem since this was our first long-distance trip, but we soon discovered we could've made the entire trip from Bangalore to Yercaud with one charge. There is one Zeon Fast Charger at Krishnagiri (50 kW), One Tata Power Charger at Salem (25 kW) and one Zeon Charger at Yercaud, inside the GRT Hotels (22Kw AC). The average efficiency while driving on the highway to Salem ranges between 7 - 8.3 kms/kwh (trip computer indicated), which equals 311.5 to 369 kms of driving range (on relatively plain highways with gradual inclines and declines). While driving from Salem to Yercaud, full of steep hairpin bends, the car returned an abysmal 3.1 km/kwh, which is understandable as a lot more power is used while climbing uphill. However, it more than compensated for this as while coming back downhill from Yercaud to Salem, it charged up the battery from 90% to 96% using level 3 regen alone!!!! (trip computer indicated around 32 km/kWh). The car can easily do 300-320 kms on a full charge on the highways on Eco Mode (I kept regen at level 3, occasionally shifting to level 2. While in Yercaud, we also took a tour of the Cauvery Peak Coffee Estate, wherein we took the MG into the estate, and boy did it not stutter even once. There is ample ground clearance, and even steep 30 degree inclines on surfaces with loose gravel isn't an issue. The number of chargers on the highways will only grow, so don't worry about it. If your commute is primarily in the city and occasionally on the highway, the ZS is an excellent car.

3. Charging and Maintenance - Coming to the charging and maintenance costs, the MG costs about 1 Rs per Kilometre to run in the city, which works out to about 500Rs a month for our usage. It was a little higher on the highway, where it was about 1.5 Rs per Km. In comparison, the Verna and Kwid (which we used alternately) cost us about 6000-8000 Rs a month for fuel. We use only the 15 amp charger to charge up the car once a week, and we don't typically charge it beyond 80% unless needed. The battery is rated for around 1.5 lakh kilometres and comes with an 8-year warranty. The first five services are free for the MG, after which the service cost is only about 3500Rs a Year (The SA told us that in comparison, the Hector costs around 14000 a year for service.) We have finished one service at the Electronic City branch and have had no issues.
My transition to Electric Vehicles | MG ZS EV and Ather 450 Plus-yercaud.jpeg

4. Cons - There are a few cons; however, the infotainment system, although mostly excellent, is occasionally slightly laggy, and we would've liked more interior and exterior colour options. It also would've been nice if they used more soft-touch materials on the inside, like the Astor.

Getting an Ather - More recently, we decided to sell the Kwid as it started to give us some issues, and after shelling out almost 30,000 Rs to fix it, we bid it adieu. I wanted a personal vehicle for myself as my parents use the car primarily, and I knew that a two-wheeler was better in the city due to traffic and the lack of parking in public places. I also wanted it to be electric because of the low running costs and the fantastic performance. The requirements were good build quality, at least a decent service network, good looks, good performance, some nice features, maybe?

I immediately ruled out the smaller brands as they didn't have a good service network and the build quality and their performance was inadequate. The major contenders were the Ather Twins, The Ola S1 Pro, The Revolt RV 400 and the Simple One. The Revolt being priced a little too high and the poor reviews on its reliability made me remove it from my list. As there was no proper information on the launch of the Simple One, I chucked that too. I wasn't impressed by the gimmicky features on the Ola, such as the Speakers and the Cruise Control and after seeing the initial impressions of auto journalists about the sub-par build quality, buggy software, lack of features, heating and throttle calibration issues, it was a big No-No for me. Finally, my parents and I went to Ather Indiranagar to check out the Ather twins. The SA was very enthusiastic and patient and answered all our queries.

The on-road prices, including the FAME II Subsidy at the time, were 1.29 Lakhs for the Ather 450 Plus and 1.49 Lakhs for the Ather 450x. I chose the former as I didn't feel that the features that the 450x had, such as Bluetooth and the extra 15 kms of range, mattered to me. My daily commute wouldn't exceed 40 kms (normally around 20kms), so the 450 Plus was just fine. We made the full payment, but it took a whole month for the scooter to be delivered due to the chip shortage. However, props to the Ather team. They did everything they could to make it happen as soon as possible and constantly kept me updated. A friend of mine has the Ather 450, and it has been a smooth experience for him so far, so I hope it's the same for me. Anyway, I took delivery of the Ather just a few days ago (7th January 2022) after its PDI, and the performance is just excellent. The build quality is good, and I have had no issues as of now. The battery is rated for 50,000 kms and comes with a 3-year warranty. The boot space is more than adequate and fits my full-sized helmet as well.
My transition to Electric Vehicles | MG ZS EV and Ather 450 Plus-ather.jpeg

Charging Cost - So I am yet to charge the vehicle, but since its a 2.9 kWh battery, and at Rs 7 a kWh, it should cost just around 20Rs for a full charge that gives 70 Kms. That's cheaper than the BMTC Buses!!

The initial cost of electric vehicles - The initial Cost of EVs is definitely higher than their ICE equivalents, and I totally understand this. However, this definitely will reduce as time progresses. However, one must understand that it is not too far off. For Example, with regard to the MG ZS EV, a comparable vehicle would be the Hyundai Creta. Its fully-loaded car (quite similarly specced with a few additional features, Diesel AT) costs around 23.5 Lakhs. The MG is just 3 Lakhs off and offers a much lower running cost. With time, the more you drive it, you will break even with the ICE Car in terms of price, and the ICE car will soon surpass the EV in terms of expenses. With regard to the Ather, an equivalent scooter, like the TVS Ntorq, can cost up to a lakh and has much higher running costs again.

In Conclusion, there is still a long way to go for complete electrification in India, but we are making steady progress, and I believe that for most people out there, an EV would definitely make sense.
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 13:08   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My transition to Electric Vehicles | MG ZS EV and Ather 450 Plus

Congrats . Dropping a link to a very similar transition thread with a Nexon EV & Ola S1 (Our Electric Transition (Nexon EV & Ola S1 Pro)).

Your thread will go to our homepage this week .
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 13:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
In Conclusion, there is still a long way to go for complete electrification in India, but we are making steady progress, and I believe that for most people out there, an EV would definitely make sense.
Congratulations on both EVs.
It is good see increasing adoption of EVs.
Old 10th January 2022, 10:48   #4
BHPian

Congratulations on your EVs too sir! In addition, I'm happy to see that Ola is rectifying most of the initial niggles that the scooter had. Do give us a first impressions and a long term review of both the Nexon and the Ola. And also details on the solar setup that you're using to charge them. Thanks!
Old 10th January 2022, 20:54   #5
BHPian

Many Congrats!! This car is the top of my list, I will be in market in another next year, hopefully they will launch a newer version of it by then.
Old 10th January 2022, 22:06   #6
BHPian

Very well written post. Might I recommend you consider investing in a on-grid solar installation to bring the operating cost of these vehicles close to 0. We have done the same and oh my does it put our minds at ease.

Thanks you. I was honestly very impressed by the positive support received.

I will go through my notes and add details as to my solar installation so it gives TBHP members ideas on how they could tackle their transition as well.
fuzzydealhunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 13:06   #7
BHPian

This is one articulate and precise review

Can you please also tell more about the driving feel and the ride quality? I have to buy a new car this year, and I am seriously considering MG ZS EV. My usage pattern would be similar to yours, so the potholes of namma Bengaluru are equally applicable.
Old 11th January 2022, 14:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Time & again, BHPians are proving that EVs are becoming practical in India faster than than most people (including yours truly) anticipated.

Congratulations on your new vehicles and with you many trouble free & happy miles.

Quote:
The initial Cost of EVs is definitely higher than their ICE equivalents.....However, one must understand that it is not too far off.....The MG is just 3 Lakhs off and offers a much lower running cost.
TBH, INR 3 lakhs is not much of a difference. If you own the car for a few years, it is easy to break-even.

Can't wait for Maruti's "Calculate Kiya Kya" to prove that their petrol & CNG models are better than EVs.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 18:54   #9
BHPian

Hello!, so I also reside in bengaluru and I can confirm that the ride quality is excellent. Most potholes and bumps aren't an issue for the ZS and only the ridiculously deep potholes that shake the cabin and even then it isn't too bad because the seats are so comfortable that it doesn't hurt. The Ground Clearance is also more than adequate.
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 09:06   #10
BHPian

Hello All,
So today I thought I'd give you a detailed review of our 2021 MG ZS EV Exclusive. If you want to read about why we chose this car over the Hyundai Kona and the Nexon EV, you can read about it on my other post by clicking the link below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ml#post5230804 (My transition to Electric Vehicles | MG ZS EV and Ather 450 Plus)

So let me start off by showing you the car itself in all its beauty,
My transition to Electric Vehicles | MG ZS EV and Ather 450 Plus-outside-1.jpeg

The gist of all the specifications of the car are as follows:
1. Power - 143 bhp
2. Torque - 353 Nm
3. Range - ARAI Certified 419 Kms (Take this with a pinch of salt)
4. Battery Capacity - 44.5 kWh,
5. Boot Space - 470 L
6. Safety Kit - ABS, EBD, ESP, Brake Assist, All four Discs. 6 Airbags, Hill Hold, Hill Start Assist, Hill Descent Control, TPMS
7. Ground Clearance - 177mm from the Lowest point of the car to the ground, 205mm from the battery to the ground

The Exteriors

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and for me, this is the best looking electric car in India under the 30L price point. The Car, for reference, is slightly larger than a Hyundai Creta and looks calm, composed and elegant. Except for the "Electric" badges on both sides of the front fender, nothing about the car screams that its an electric car. The 17 inch wheels look proportionate to the body size unlike a lot of cars on our roads. The Headlamps are Projector Halogens with LED DRLs and the Tail Lamps are all LED Units. I'd say that the tail lamps are good butthe halogen headlamps aren't befitting a car that costs 26.5 Lakhs on road.
My transition to Electric Vehicles | MG ZS EV and Ather 450 Plus-outside-2.jpeg
My transition to Electric Vehicles | MG ZS EV and Ather 450 Plus-yercaud.jpeg

The Interiors

I simply love the interiors of this car. The seats are supremely comfortable and I've driven 200+ kms without any fatigue. The Air Conditioning is good however rear AC Vents would've been appreciated. The interior colour scheme is finw, but more colour options would have been nice. The panoramic sunroof is beautiful and the overall fit and finish is also pretty good, barring a few minor sqeaks when you move the centre console but again, that doesn't happen in the real world so doesn't matter. The floormats that come with the car (its included in the 'essential package') are very good quality and can be vaccumed easily. The door pockets are large enough to accomodate 1 Litre water bottles and the centre console storage is adequately large enough. The steering wheel is also of very good quality and considering a lot of parts are sourced from Audi and VW Cars (MG and the VW Group are partners in China), the good standards of fit and finish make sense.

The Driving Experience

I have driven this car for just over 3000 Kms in the city and on the highway and here are my two bits:
- The car is extremely refined in its handling and is planted even at speeds exceeding 140 kmph
- The steering is light, great for city driving, although a little more weight would have been nice for highway driving
- The suspension is soft and absorbs even hard bumps with ease
- There is minimum body roll while corneing fast
- The Acceleration is simply exhilirating in sport mode and the performance is more than enough even in Eco Mode. There is no hesitation from the car when you press the pedal
- Minimal Noise, Silent cabin

The Driving Range and Charging Cost

I have again, covered this bit in my other post which you can find here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ml#post5230804 (My transition to Electric Vehicles | MG ZS EV and Ather 450 Plus)

The Tech

The car comes with a 7 inch infotainment system that MG calls the ismart 2.0. The system has TomTom spider navigation built in which is pretty fluid and definitely usable. However I prefer using android auto (it has apple car play too). The system can show the weather status, tyre pressure and temperature, CO2 emissions saved and comes with a Gaana Premium Account. The Car also has connectivity with the Ismart App where we can track its location live, get information on all your trips etc. The system is occasionally a little laggy but mostly works just fine. The reverse camera built in is also fairly decent and gets accurate adaptive lines.

The Positives

- Great Performance
- Low NVH Levels
- Planted at high speeds
- Good amount of Tech
- Regen is a boon
- Good Interiors
- Very Low Running and Maintenance Costs
- Good Looks

The Negatives

- Minor Squeaks and Rattles occasionally (Not that big a deal though)
- No Auto Dimming IRVM
- Halogen Headlamp Bulbs are a let down (Can be easily upgraded though)
- No Rear AC vents
- Very few colour options (both exterior and interior)

Overall, in the sub 30L segment, I'd say that the ZS EV is the best EV that one can buy right now, taking into consideration features on offer and the price of the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
My transition to Electric Vehicles | MG ZS EV and Ather 450 Plus-interior.jpeg  

WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 19:27   #11
BHPian

Hello Everyone!

As I write this, we have completed just around 8000 kms on our 2021 ZS EV and here are my findings after doing both city and highway stints.

In the City, the car is the same as I had mentioned before, easily gives us about 350 kms of range in a single charge (Normal city traffic, about 20 - 30 kms a day). We are left with about 40 -50 % of charge at the weekend and charge it up then using the 15 W Wall socket. It takes around 10 - 15 Hours to fully charge it up. We haven't installed the 7 KW charger yet because we are considering adding Solar Panels out household and we figured we'd install this after. As of right now, the running cost of the car in the city is pretty much 1Rs per km and our average monthly charging cost at home is 450 - 600 Rs depending on how far we drive it.

We haven't had any breakdown as such, however once the car suddenly started leaking some sort of oil (which we noticed very late), but not once did the car stutter and we actually finished a 500km round trip after which it was discovered. We took it to MG Electronic City where thy found that a small oil seal of some sort had torn away and they had it replaced under warranty. This was at the 3000 km mark approximately and we haven't had an issue since.

Highway Trips Completed:

Bangalore to Coimbatore and Back
Bangalore to Yercaud and Back
Bangalore to Chikmangalur and Back, Twice
Bangalore to Madurai and Back

Average Driving Speed between 80kmph to 140 kmph

The car has really good stability and manouverability, We drive on Eco and KERS 3 and get a range of about 290 - 300kms on a full charge with the AC used intermittently. If we drive without the AC, it definitely can hit the 350 - 400 km mark when driven between 80 - 100 kmph. The AC Really uses a lot of energy. The seats are great, you can easily drive for 200 kms and not feel fatigued. The car can also take on most kinds of terrain, obviously not harcore off road scenarios, but it can easily take on trails, estate roads (Yes I've driven it through two coffee estates, where jeeps normally go and haven't really had any issues) and bad patches with ease. Although I must say that the mud roads were dry and not slushy and I wouldn't recommend taking any 2WD Car into slush.

Zeon Charging Stations are what I'd recommend, but Tata works decently too. The Running cost on a highway is higher than what you'd pay in the city, but is still way lesser than what you'd pay in an ICE Car. For example.

The Bangalore to Chikmangalur round trip was around 600 Kms. Our Verna (which used to give us around 14kmpl on the highways) would normally require just under a full tank of fuel (Full tank is 43L), which at today's rates in bangalore would cost just over 4300Rs. The Complete trip in the ZS, including the cost of charging at home the night before the trip came upto around 1200Rs.

Not everything is perfect though, the Car has some very irritating software bugs at times. Some of them are:

- Battery percentage sync error between app and car
- Music Player takes ages to boot up at times
- Android Auto sometimes doesn't start and I have to unplug and replug the USB for it to work
- (Very Rarely and the Most irritating) The Infotainment System doesn't turn off even when I turn off and lock the car. It takes a system reset to fix this.

The small negatives aside though, I still love the car. It has served us well so far, (Touchwood) and I hope we have many more happy miles to come.
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 10:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone!

As I write this, we have completed just around 8000 kms on our 2021 ZS EV and here are my findings after doing both city and highway stints.

Highway Trips Completed:

Bangalore to Coimbatore and Back
Bangalore to Yercaud and Back
Bangalore to Chikmangalur and Back, Twice
Bangalore to Madurai and Back

Average Driving Speed between 80kmph to 140 kmph
Thank you for sharing your experience. It seems AC is one thing that eats all EV batteries. But I think while seeing the running cost, I don't think this is going to be a deal breaker.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks