Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2023, 14:35   #61
BHPian

Re: Range Anxiety versus Highway Anxiety with electric cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
Just a point though. If you have to do 15 Kmph more on an average means you will have to drive at much much higher max speed which is often illegal or scary or both. Check what is the difference in average speed when you drive at 80-90 vs when you drive at 100-110 (It will not be 20 kmph). At least on Kerala high ways I do not think I would dare to go beyond 90 kmph even if the MVD has given a free hand to me (whether ICE/EV).
My high way trips where I have driven at what I consider 80-90 kmph (usually people only remember the top speeds) the average speed is much less (some where close to 60).
This is absolutely correct. Having recently switched to EV, I do notice a reduction in average speed, but it is more like 5 kmph in moderate Highway traffic and max 10 kmph in low Highway traffic. Sedate/moderate ICE drivers may not see any difference. Spirited ICE drivers, who drive with no concerns for speed limits may see larger difference. My guess is on an average, an EV trip will take roughly 10% more time in typical south Indian highway. This is not too bad, considering you get a better ride due to the reduced NVH and effortless overtaking, it is worth the trade off.

The other time sink is the slow 24/30 KW chargers, this means around 1 hour break every 250 to 300 km instead of ~40 minutes and maybe more if you have to wait. This can add another 10% to longer drives, when combined with the above will turn 10/11 hour trips into 12/13 hours.

The problem is the current mass selling Tata EVs charge only between 20 to 30 KW, so most of the initial chargers were 24/30 and actually top out at ~20 KW, which will not even charge the Nexon Max at it's real world capacity of ~30 KW.

Then they switched to 40/50 KW, only to realise that most of the capacity is unused on the Tata EVs. I see the newer chargers are 60 KW with dual guns, that can charge two cars at 30 KW or one car at higher rate up to 60W. This seems to be a very good solution and is what is practically possible in the near future. Proliferation of this type of charger is going to help quite a bit with highway charging.

Last edited by wocanak : 13th April 2023 at 14:36.
wocanak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 12:35   #62

Got 201kms on Tata Tiago EV with 8% battery remaining

I tried to test the full range of my Tiago EV LR XZ+ for the first time since purchase, and the result was more than satisfactory. Starting will full charge and 1197km on odometer on Tuesday morning (18/04/23), I drove back and forth from home to office (~23km one way), for 4 consecutive days, along with a small detour on the last day. I'll have to say I was a bit anxious on the last leg because I recently read a post by a Nexon EV owner about the battery suddenly dropping. However, such a drop didn't happen till the end of my trip, by which point the battery was at 8% & odometer at 1398km. In fact, beyond 10%, battery was dropping very slowly as the limited performance mode had been activated. I didn't note down the odometer reading at 10% battery level, but the distance of the point where I got the warning to my home is around 10km.

In the attached graph, you can see the drop of battery level with distance covered. I only noted the reading at stops, so smaller variations are already averaged out. As I mentioned, at the end, the battery drops very slowly, so I suppose the car could've done upto 225km without deep discharge. I would note here that I kept the climate control to about 27 degC everyday, and charged my phone in the car ~50% of the time.

I am not a very experienced EV driver, as you can see from the odometer reading (of my first EV). My driving score is ~8 currently, as seen in the ZConnect app (screenshot attached). I am hoping that in the future I might be able to get somewhat higher range. Maybe about 10kms more. However, I can say for sure that an ICE car driver will not be able to get this much range on the first day of him driving a Tiago EV.
Attached Thumbnails
Range Anxiety versus Highway Anxiety with electric cars-screenshot_20230424121249.jpg  

Range Anxiety versus Highway Anxiety with electric cars-screenshot_20230424121327.jpg  

Attached Images

EVwaleGgn is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 07:23   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Excessive heat can axe almost a third of range in some electric vehicles.

Quote:
A new study suggests that excessive heat can greatly diminish electric vehicle range. The findings are similar to other studies that show how excessive cold also reduces range. Thankfully, it seems as though the range is mostly unaffected unless the temperature is in the triple digits.

Quote:
it says that some vehicles saw a drop in their range of 31 percent when temperatures climbed above 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius).
Quote:
the same company that last year found that freezing temperatures have a nearly identical effect. Both the Ford Mustang Mach-E and the Volkswagen ID.4 saw dips in range of 30 percent when temps dropped below 30 degrees Fahrenheit (-1 degrees Celsius). At the same time, it’s worth noting that less extreme temperatures exhibit very little influence on battery range.
Link
Old 26th July 2023, 13:53   #64
BHPian

201 kms on a tiago EV is great. I got my Nexon EV on 14th July 23 and driven close to 1000kms till date. Have not reset the trip meter since delivery, but have managed only 180wh/km and not been able to go below that. My use case is 80 kms of city drive in Mumbai traffic. I will be happy if I get 140-150 wh/km.

Also if experts can comment here. My Z Connect App data only shows driving, braking and acceleration scores viz. are number, currently 9, 10 and 9. The other detailed data like the one EVwaleGgn has posted does not appear on my application.

Can someone throw light on how to get this additional data and is anyone else facing a similar issue?
Old 27th July 2023, 11:41   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Charging infrastructure can be implemented rapidly , Range can be doubled or tripled based on battery capacity overnight - Cost is the real problem.

Right now only the save polar bear customer is ready to pay more for an EV that is less useful than the equivalent ICE car, when the cost becomes equal to the ICE vehicle one can expect other concerns to become less relevant.
Sorry, but this is not true. I own an EV not to save "Polar bear" but as it's a much better car to drive. I paid ~5 lakh more for the Nexon EV Max which may take 5 years to recover (only based on fuel expense), but the whole experience of driving an EV is much better than ICE. No noise, vibration, instant power delivery, smooth regen braking, and more.

Also, the range cannot be doubled (forget tripled) because of battery tech limitations. See the range of cars outside India. here.

Last edited by Axe77 : 24th August 2023 at 00:03. Reason: Please do not use abbreviations. Thank you.
Old 27th July 2023, 12:35   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathkamath04 View Post
Sorry, but this is not true. I own an EV not to save "Polar bear" but as it's a much better car to drive. I paid ~5lk more for the NEV Max which may take 5 years to recover (only based on fuel expense), but the whole expr of driving an EV is much better than ICE. No noise, vibration, instant power delivery, smooth regen braking, and more.
Think about it.

Your EV costs as much as a Taigun GT with DSG.

So from a Performance, NVH , Practicality, VFM, Prestige , long distance capability etc etc it's a no brainer to purchase a Taigun/Creta etc.

If EV works for you, that's great but the reasons aren't the one you mentioned unless you were comparing it to an ICE Nexon.
Old 27th July 2023, 13:28   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Think about it.

Your EV costs as much as a Taigun GT with DSG.

So from a Performance, NVH, Practicality, VFM, Prestige, long distance capability etc etc it's a no brainer to purchase a Taigun/Creta etc.

If EV works for you, that's great but the reasons aren't the one you mentioned unless you were comparing it to an ICE Nexon.
Yes, I can buy a Creta or a Taigun GT at the same price, but I will be driving it at > 6 Rs/KM for the next 8 years. So spending approx 1lk a year more than I would have with my EV. I feel Nexon EV is better than any petrol car w.r.t NVH, performance, and VFM. Long-distance capability depends on the individual. I have learned my way to travel long distances.

My point is, initial cost is not the only factor when you buy a car. You have to factor in running costs too. So next time when you plan a car with a budget, factor in the running cost and do consider an EV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
Then they switched to 40/50 KW, only to realise that most of the capacity is unused on the Tata EVs. I see the newer chargers are 60 KW with dual guns, that can charge two cars at 30 KW or one car at higher rate up to 60W. This seems to be a very good solution and is what is practically possible in the near future. Proliferation of this type of charger is going to help quite a bit with highway charging.
I guess this is still going to be a good thing overall.

Zeon Chargers at Shantigram (SkyBirds) and Yediyur(Paakashala) upgraded from a 25 to 50KW charger. but the old 25KW was retained making it a 2-charge station.

In the future, we may see such a setup with incremental power levels (and maybe incremental pricing per unit). Choose the charger that best works for you.

Last edited by Axe77 : 27th July 2023 at 14:47. Reason: Merging back to back posts. SMS language. Some typos. Please read the forum rules before proceeding further. Thank you.
sharathkamath04 is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 15th November 2023, 14:18   #68

Range of electric vehicles

Hello Team bhp !

First of all , thank you team bhp moderators for accepting my request to be a part of the prestigious community. Special thanks to govind_kaniyat for guiding me throughout the process.
I have been an ardent follower of team bhp since many years and it has played a vital role in improving my knowledge in automotives.
This is my first post - moderators please merge this if this topic is not new.

This post is regarding range of electric vehicles.

I had been actively following the ev trends since many years. My first ev was a used electric bike " Electrona 24 " way back in 2008. I think that it was manufactured in Tamil Nadu.
It had a basic 24 volt lead acid battery consisting of cells of 2 volt coupled to a 24 volt DC permanent magnet motor of 350 watts capacity ( I guess ).

It was basically a TVS moped converted to electric.

Fast forward to year 2020 was when I bought my first electric car - Nexon ev.
Kona was there, but the relatively attractive pricing was what that attracted us.
The promised range was 312 kms - there was a star after 312 kms that most of the buyers of the initial lot like me did not understand .

The ARAI range misconception was clarified the very next day when we went on a 200 km round trip , we had 50% battery left after covering almost 100 kms.

Ok everything apart, let me get to the topic.
Do electric vehicles have more range in cities or highways?

Have seen almost every other "reviewer" explaining that EVs deliver more range in city driving as regen is more due to frequent deceleration

In my opinion this is not true, yes regen is there but every time you regen and accelerate there is a loss of energy as this process is not cent percent efficient.
According to my experience, I always get more range on highway drives .
But you have to keep your speed limited in the 70-80 kmph zone.
In my opinion this is due to the fact that the energy from the battery is transferred to the motor in the most efficient form .

I am sharing my observations considering Tata Nexon ev as reference , EVs of higher segment will have better cruising speeds.

What are you views on this ?
Old 6th December 2023, 18:51   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Consumer Reports says nearly half of EVs tested fall short of EPA range estimates.

Some cars from Ford, Lucid, and Tesla fell short, while others from BMW and Mercedes exceeded expectations.

Quote:
Consumer Reports conducted a 70-mile-per-hour highway test that consisted of fully charged vehicles with anywhere between 2,000 and 15,000 miles on the odometer, with outside temperatures hovering around 70 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit during the time of testing. Even in ideal conditions like these, nearly half of the 22 EVs fell short of their EPA range estimates.

Models from Ford, Lucid, and Tesla were among the guiltiest parties. The Model S fell 39 miles short of its 405-mile estimate and the Lucid Air failed by 40 miles. The worst offender of the group was the F-150 Lightning, which only achieved 270 miles instead of its 320-mile EPA rating
Name:  Screenshot 20231206 184943.png
Views: 105
Size:  62.2 KB

Link:
Old 6th December 2023, 20:20   #70
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Range of electric vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj@8535 View Post

Ok everything apart, let me get to the topic.
Do electric vehicles have more range in cities or highways?

Have seen almost every other "reviewer" explaining that EVs deliver more range in city driving as regen is more due to frequent deceleration

In my opinion this is not true, yes regen is there but every time you regen and accelerate there is a loss of energy as this process is not cent percent efficient.
According to my experience, I always get more range on highway drives .
But you have to keep your speed limited in the 70-80 kmph zone.
In my opinion this is due to the fact that the energy from the battery is transferred to the motor in the most efficient form .

I am sharing my observations considering Tata Nexon ev as reference , EVs of higher segment will have better cruising speeds.

What are you views on this ?
You are spot on there, you get the maximum range on highway, where you don't have to stop frequently, but the key factor here is the speed, and the biggest enemy of moving objects "DRAG". If you maintain low speed you experience less drag, the faster you go more the drag, thus more the energy consumption. This is physics and it applies to all moving objects not just EV

To get the max. range, you need to travel at a speed which won't get impacted by drag, that's around 40kph. but then again you wouldn't do it.

I travelled two years ago from Mysuru to Bengaluru on the highway while it was getting constructed, with so much stop and start traffic and detours, I reached my home with less than 20% SOC. After the expressway, I drove again, this time i had 30% SOC left and I was maintaining 80kph throughout, that should give you a clue as to what increases efficiency. NOT STOPPING
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 20:21   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early_Adopter View Post
Instead, shouldn't we worry about more number of chargers along the highways? Shouldn't we worry more about if these chargers are in working condition? Shouldn't we worry about how fast we can charge our cars along the highways?
Was able to manage the range anxiety quite quickly but a recent turn of events kind of brought it back up.

What if the Battery cooling of my EV failed?
How would it throttle down the charging speed? Can it even stop the DC charging?

The Kona has an active cooled NMC battery with a BMS system which utilizes both active & passive protection systems to keep battery in safe operational parameters.

So when the Battery cooling circuit failed the BMS started throttling down the charging. I had a situation on a 50KW i started seeing the charging wattage drop - 38 KW then 20KW and then the compressor failed (loud grinding sound).
The DC Fast charger attendant actually panicked more than me and was already near the Fire extinguisher.

I decided to stop charging due to this and was fortunate enough to have sufficient charge to turn around.

So, even at a point where i had no more concerns on range or charging, there was this new concern about not just lowered charging rate, but also this possibility of technical failure.

It's definitely a rare incident but it can make someone a bit more cautious when it comes to EV adoption.

Most Viewed