Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2022, 08:48   #46
BHPian

Re: MG ZS EV vs Tata Nexon EV | Which one to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
That is not correct. MG also has an eight year warranty on the battery. In fact, MG offers a full five year comprehensive warranty as well against the three year one provided by Tata. You are correct on the Nexon having slightly better ground clearance.
MG has a ground clearance of 177mm vs 205mm in Nexon.
Old 28th February 2022, 08:57   #47
BHPian

When I looked under the ZS and tried to measure roughly with my hand, its clearance was more than our Honda City and less than my Punto (which has the taller, version 2 suspension from Fiat). That was a deal breaker for us since we need to use a dirt road that the Punto already has a slightly difficult time on.

However this was before the claimed increase in clearance last year.
Old 28th February 2022, 09:27   #48

New 2022 ZS EV has a ground clearance of 166 cm only.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st April 2022 at 21:43. Reason: Added model name
BAGAVADY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 20:24   #49
BHPian

The lack of many options, yet the zeal to drive only an EV as my next car is messing up my mind.

Had booked the ZS EV Excite on 05th Jan 2022 and a few days ago moved my reservation to a ZS EV Exclusive as I wanted a car as early as possible. My 8 year old Grand i10 isn't a pleasure to drive anymore and demands a replacement soon.

Before booking the ZS, I test drive the Nexon and hadn't liked it. Fast forward a few months, I wanted to give it a shot once again as a few issues with the ZS EV has put me in 2 minds. I test drove the Nexon EV again today and it changed my mind.

Here are the issues that I personally felt with the ZS EV and few inferred from reviews. Some are very personal for my usage

1. Low ground clearance which can be an issue on Hyderabad roads
2. Low legroom for 2nd row seating. Have checked petrol versions of Kushaq and Creta, both apparently had lot better legroom for rear seat passengers and this seems to be bothering me a lot. The one and only thing I dislike the most about my Grand i10 is legroom for rear seat and I don't want that to continue in my new car, which costs 4x of what my i10 costed back then.
3. Soft touch materials, though seem premium, I doubt the durability on a longer run.
4. Requirement to upgrade power line from current 5KW to 12/13 KW as suggested by inspection team. This will bump up the per unit cost of electricity too. I don't have specific numbers but this seems to be a bummer!
5. Change of gates in our compound as the current set up wouldn't fit a car that's above 4m length.
6. Not so good music system (not a deal breaker though)
7. Reported not the best headlights. (didn't test it personally).

What I liked in the Nexon EV after my 2nd test drive today
1. The regen breaking isn't as bad as I initially perceived it to be. I could get used to it after a 4km drive in traffic
2. No need of change in power line at home
3. No need to make modifications to our parking space at home
4. Lot more affordable, around INR 5,00,000 when we compare base model of MG ZS EV with top end model of Nexon EV.
5. These almost being first gen EVs even now, I somehow keep getting a feeling that I need to settle down with something more practical and affordable than to go all in and getting a ZS EV.

What I still don't like about the Nexon EV
1. Rear seating ingress/egress is very inconvenient for my mom who is barely 5 feet tall. I am still unsure if she can get into the car even with difficulty. She has knee pain issues and not the fittest to just get into the vehicle comfortably.
2. Digital cluster showing wrong range! The sales executive said the car was due for service and a service would solve it, I didn't buy into his reasoning. Is this an issue? The car, though having 91% charge, showed an estimated range of 112KM
3. The car had some vibration. Felt like one that arises when a vehicle has wheel balancing issues. Is that something of a worry?
4. The AC didn't seem all that effective in the afternoon heat on Hyderabad roads.

I was blown away by the ride quality that MG ZS EV offered but unsure if I have to still go ahead with it or rather settle down with a Nexon EV. Will be waiting for 6th April to check what Tata has to offer.

As of today, I pre-booked both. Estimated delivery for ZS EV Exclusive is max by end May and for Nexon EV is 16 weeks from today (booked it today).
raghupro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 13:07   #50
BHPian

Congrats on the bookings! Did you book the nexon dark edition? I hear those are generally easier to get your hands on.

If you just want to drive an EV for EV’s sake then the Tata Nexon is the winner for sure at a good 10lakhs cheaper. I’ve driven mine over 40k km and they have been relatively smooth (few initial niggles and the horrible TATA SC experiences barring).

The digital cluster will generally show the wrong range for any EV as this goes up and down depending on the driving style / mode - weather etc - and this being a TD vehicle I’m sure it is benign constantly driven spiritedly by most drivers.

I had decided to upgrade to the new MG as I wanted my EV to be my main vehicle but after a test drive I am no longer convinced it’s worth the extra cash due to the issues mentioned by you - mainly being the poor ground clearance.

I’m too am waiting to see what Tata offers on the 6th or then will wait for the Kia/Hyundai offerings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghupro View Post
The lack of many options, yet the zeal to drive only an EV as my next car is messing up my mind.

Had booked the ZS EV Excite on 05th Jan 2022 and a few days ago moved my reservation to a ZS EV Exclusive as I wanted a car as early as possible. My 8 year old Grand i10 isn't a pleasure to drive anymore and demands a replacement soon.

Before booking the ZS, I test drive the Nexon and hadn't liked it. Fast forward a few months, I wanted to give it a shot once again as a few issues with the ZS EV has put me in 2 minds. I test drove the Nexon EV again today and it changed my mind.

Here are the issues that I personally felt with the ZS EV and few inferred from reviews. Some are very personal for my usage

1. Low ground clearance which can be an issue on Hyderabad roads
2. Low legroom for 2nd row seating. Have checked petrol versions of Kushaq and Creta, both apparently had lot better legroom for rear seat passengers and this seems to be bothering me a lot. The one and only thing I dislike the most about my Grand i10 is legroom for rear seat and I don't want that to continue in my new car, which costs 4x of what my i10 costed back then.
3. Soft touch materials, though seem premium, I doubt the durability on a longer run.
4. Requirement to upgrade power line from current 5KW to 12/13 KW as suggested by inspection team. This will bump up the per unit cost of electricity too. I don't have specific numbers but this seems to be a bummer!
5. Change of gates in our compound as the current set up wouldn't fit a car that's above 4m length.
6. Not so good music system (not a deal breaker though)
7. Reported not the best headlights. (didn't test it personally).

What I liked in the Nexon EV after my 2nd test drive today
1. The regen breaking isn't as bad as I initially perceived it to be. I could get used to it after a 4km drive in traffic
2. No need of change in power line at home
3. No need to make modifications to our parking space at home
4. Lot more affordable, around INR 5,00,000 when we compare base model of MG ZS EV with top end model of Nexon EV.
5. These almost being first gen EVs even now, I somehow keep getting a feeling that I need to settle down with something more practical and affordable than to go all in and getting a ZS EV.

What I still don't like about the Nexon EV
1. Rear seating ingress/egress is very inconvenient for my mom who is barely 5 feet tall. I am still unsure if she can get into the car even with difficulty. She has knee pain issues and not the fittest to just get into the vehicle comfortably.
2. Digital cluster showing wrong range! The sales executive said the car was due for service and a service would solve it, I didn't buy into his reasoning. Is this an issue? The car, though having 91% charge, showed an estimated range of 112KM
3. The car had some vibration. Felt like one that arises when a vehicle has wheel balancing issues. Is that something of a worry?
4. The AC didn't seem all that effective in the afternoon heat on Hyderabad roads.

I was blown away by the ride quality that MG ZS EV offered but unsure if I have to still go ahead with it or rather settle down with a Nexon EV. Will be waiting for 6th April to check what Tata has to offer.

As of today, I pre-booked both. Estimated delivery for ZS EV Exclusive is max by end May and for Nexon EV is 16 weeks from today (booked it today).

Last edited by zandot : 3rd April 2022 at 13:08.
zandot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 13:38   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandot View Post

I had decided to upgrade to the new MG as I wanted my EV to be my main vehicle but after a test drive I am no longer convinced it’s worth the extra cash due to the issues mentioned by you - mainly being the poor ground clearance.

I’m too am waiting to see what Tata offers on the 6th or then will wait for the Kia/Hyundai offerings.
Thanks for echoing my thoughts on the ZS EV. Yea? I booked the dark edition but the wait time seems to be no different.

Unsure if a long range nexon EV would be out on 6th. As per teasers, it seems to be some concept for now. The sales executive said it might be a nexon ev long range version and if it is, I can move my booking to it if I am interested. Awaiting more details.
Old 3rd April 2022, 13:52   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for echoing my thoughts on the ZS EV. Yea? I booked the dark edition but the wait time seems to be no different.

Unsure if a long range nexon EV would be out on 6th. As per teasers, it seems to be some concept for now. The sales executive said it might be a nexon ev long range version and if it is, I can move my booking to it if I am interested. Awaiting more details.
It seems that it's an entire new EV being launched by Tata and not the long range. That's strange to hear about the Dark edition - I know of one being delivered in just 4 weeks - perhaps it was already billed and the customer pulled out! I too have booked the Long range (unofficially) with no rush to get it.

These are confusing times for me too, hopefully the other manufacturers release their offerings soon.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/90613072.cms

EDIT: Oh just saw in your post it's just a concept release, that's disappointing!

Last edited by zandot : 3rd April 2022 at 13:54.
Old 15th July 2022, 12:10   #53
BHPian

The EV dilemma

Greetings Team!
The EV bug has bitten me real bad and after test driving the MG ZS EV, Tata Nexon EV MAX and the Hyundai Kona, I am spoiled for choices and cannot make up my mind. I plan on using whatever EV I purchase as my primary car which means putting easily 15K kms a year or even more. I test drove all the 3 and here are my quick views on them:

Tata Nexon EV MAX: The TD vehicle came in this rather beautiful teal colour and even though it was pouring down, the car looked so beautiful in that colour. First and foremost the first thing I noted, Halogen projector headlamps which kind of threw me off considering its 21L OTR. The interior is a nice place to be in but I am not a big fan of beige interiors. The gear shift knob is fancy and the ventilated seats is a big plus. Sunroof is a nice addition to make it feel spacious and airy.
The car drove pretty well, I took the TD on bad roads and also on an empty highway. I didn’t like the interior that much. The Salesperson claimed a range of 330-340KM which I knew the car would never do in day to day driving in Bangalore. Also we have to pay 70K more for the 7.2KW charger which is a bit of a disappointment. All in all a great package and is cheaper than the trio but it just doesn’t feel plush and premium. I feel it needs a lot of catching up to do.

Hyundai Kona: The salesperson brought a white one and I didn’t like the way it looked. I think it was the colour as I’ve always seen them in blue and this time it just felt a bit daft. The interior is ghastly and felt claustrophobic. I also didn’t like the rear seats in this and the salesperson kept glorifying the car and started listing the negatives of the competition. The car drove well especially in power mode where it just wanted to take off. The interior was a big NO. The Salesperson claimed a range of 400KM on which I laughed on his face because the car had a charge of 80% and range was 230km so there is no way it would ever do 350 let alone 400. All in all I didn’t like it and I felt for 25.5L OTR price tag, its better to stick with MG ZS anyday.

MG ZS EV: This car I took at least 3 test drives, all in different roads and different scenarios because I fell in love with this car. It drove so well and the way it handles and picks up the pace is unreal. I felt that it can put a lot of ICE engines of big brands to shame. I found it perfect to drive in city in KERS mode 2 and Normal mode. It came in rather a very boring white colour and that white wasn’t looking good on it. I perhaps think the black will suit it more than any colour. First and foremost it is a very handsome car, The front grille is something I can live with so it doesn’t really bother to me. The interior feels premium and sporty and the panoramic sunroof is a good addition, makes the car feel very airy and spacious. The features like 360 degree cameras, connected car tech and the bigger battery made me somewhat attracted towards this car. The claimed range the salesperson said was easily more than 350, it was believable. The car felt well put together. I felt this car is more VFM than any other car. 27.5L OTR is costly but in the long run it will be worth it.

Now with Kona out of the sprint, I have to make a choice between Nexon EV MAX and the ZS EV. Will I be better off with the cheaper one or should I get the ZS EV as my long term option? Also, both the cars have a waiting period of 6 months so I have booked both. Will love to know your opinion team.

Last edited by speedfreak77 : 15th July 2022 at 12:13.
speedfreak77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 12:38   #54
BHPian

Re: The EV dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak77 View Post
Now with Kona out of the sprint, I have to make a choice between Nexon EV MAX and the ZS EV. Will I be better off with the cheaper one or should I get the ZS EV as my long term option? Also, both the cars have a waiting period of 6 months so I have booked both. Will love to know your opinion team.
It is pretty straight forward, if money no object then MG ZS EV it is. There is no contest with the Nexon EV MAX here. Needless to say, it's a segment higher.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 14:06   #55
BHPian

Quote:
First and foremost, welcome to team EV!

Been researching into Nexon EV, Nexon EV Max and ZS EV since end December 2021.

Booked the ZS EV on 05th Jan 2022 and Nexon EV on 01st April 2022, which was later moved to EV Max upon launch.

Fast forward. I own a Nexon EV since a month now (not the Max).

My suggestion would be to go for ZS EV excite version if 27.5 L seems to be pricy for ZS EV exclusive else settle with Exclusive. The ZS is a better car in most ways and sure feels lot more premium.

Yea, you would miss out on features such as ventilated seats and auto dimming ORVM but the benefits you would have over Nexon are far outweighing.

Nexon lacks the refinement in terms of fit and finish, so many wobbly plastic parts, panel gaps and low quality plastics you would see. It just doesn’t feel like a car costing 18L.

And not even mention about the service and sales experience. It’s next to being horrendous. I kept reading about it and still opted for it due to budget constraints but experiencing the bad service first hand is quite painful.

Also, I haven’t been travelling much on highways over the past 6 years. Whenever I do, it’s from one of the zoomcar locations when we go on a vacation where we hire a zoomcar. The only trip I have been doing over the years is to our farm house which is 160km away from home and has 2 locations to fast charge enroute. It’s been a month since I intended to do that trip in my EV but haven’t been able to do so as the tata FC in both the locations have always been plagued with issues ever since. Got to realise how unreliable the fast chargers are as of now when we plan highway travel. Having a larger battery is always a blessing if you can afford a car that has one.

Last edited by raghupro : 15th July 2022 at 14:12.
raghupro is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 14:18   #56
BHPian

Quote:
First and foremost, welcome to team EV!

Been researching into Nexon EV, Nexon EV Max and ZS EV since end December 2021.

Booked the ZS EV on 05th Jan 2022 and Nexon EV on 01st April 2022, which was later moved to EV Max upon launch.

Fast forward. I own a Nexon EV since a month now (not the Max).

My suggestion would be to go for ZS EV excite version if 27.5 L seems to be pricy for ZS EV exclusive else settle with Exclusive. The ZS is a better car in most ways and sure feels lot more premium.

Yea, you would miss out on features such as ventilated seats and auto dimming ORVM but the benefits you would have over Nexon are far outweighing.

Nexon lacks the refinement in terms of fit and finish, so many wobbly plastic parts, panel gaps and low quality plastics you would see. It just doesn’t feel like a car costing 18L.

And not even mention about the service and sales experience. It’s next to being horrendous. I kept reading about it and still opted for it due to budget constraints but experiencing the bad service first hand is quite painful.

Also, I haven’t been travelling much on highways over the past 6 years. Whenever I do, it’s from one of the zoomcar locations when we go on a vacation where we hire a zoomcar. The only trip I have been doing over the years is to our farm house which is 160km away from home and has 2 locations to fast charge enroute. It’s been a month since I intended to do that trip in my EV but haven’t been able to do so as the tata FC in both the locations have always been plagued with issues ever since. Got to realise how unreliable the fast chargers are as of now when we plan highway travel. Having a larger battery is always a blessing if you can afford a car that has one.
I really would like to know your After sales experience with Tata, I have heard a lot of positive things about MG rather than Tata where I’ve always heard some or the other horror stories. Also how many kms do you manage on a full charge in the Nexon?
Old 15th July 2022, 14:55   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was in the same dilemma having booked both Nexon EV Max and MG ZS EV.
But I am going ahead with MG ZS EV as it’s a segment above in terms of space, features, safety, range and comfort.

My requirements were
  • Sufficient range of 300-350kms on a single charge with AC and at highway speeds (very important)
  • Full safety kit including 6 airbags, TC, ESC and 3 point seat belts for all passengers
  • 5 seater SUV with sufficient space for 4 adults and a child
  • Comfort
  • Features set that shouldn’t feel outdated in the coming years

MG ZS EV ticked all my requirements.

Between our two cars, we do about 20-25K kms in a year. This didn't come down even during covid lockdowns. Of these close to 70-75% of my drives are between Bangalore and Mysore, a distance of 150Kms. Sometimes I need to travel back and forth on a single day without a break. I found Nexon EV Max to be lacking in this regard, no doubt it can do 300+kms but that will require a bit of careful driving which might not always be possible.

Safety is another aspect I didn’t want to compromise on. There aren’t many cars under 30L which offer 3 point seat belt for rear mid passenger, which severely curtails rear seat space for 2 adults if I am traveling with my son who always uses his car seat. MG ticks the box here as well.

My Mother has bad knee and she found the raised rear seat of Nexon EV Max bit cumbersome to get in and out, also my parents felt ZS is an upgrade compared to my previous cars Ecosport and S Cross. They are also not fans of full size SUVs, especially BOF SUVs which ruled out the new ScorpioN

Even without offering ADAS, ZS is fairly loaded in terms of features. While I am not a fan of any sunroof, my entire family were in favour of the panaromic sunroof of the ZS, my suggestion to wait for excite variant of ZS was shot down as it will not have the sunroof.

My car has arrived at the dealer and did a precursory inspection last weekend. I will be taking delivery after Aashaadha.

Hope this helps.

Sharing the pic of my car at the dealer's basement.
Attached Thumbnails
MG ZS EV vs Tata Nexon EV | Which one to buy?-20220709_155916.jpg  

speedmiester is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 15:26   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGAVADY View Post
New 2022 ZS EV has a ground clearance of 166 cm only.

You mean millimetres, 166CM is roughly my height
Old 15th July 2022, 15:27   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I really would like to know your After sales experience with Tata, I have heard a lot of positive things about MG rather than Tata where I’ve always heard some or the other horror stories. Also how many kms do you manage on a full charge in the Nexon?
Here is how it went.

I was very specific about having free home pick up and drop for my vehicle and enquired about it from the showroom before I got the car. The sales executive confirmed that they do provide the service, even after confirming with me about where I live, which is 8km away from service centre.

A week before I intended to give the vehicle for service, I was lazy to search for contact details and called the sales executive to help me with number of service centre. Took me 3 days of follow up to no avail and eventually got the number from Tata Motors website.

Called the number and requested to arrange for a pick up and drop for first service. He said he will pass on the info to concerned person and I would be contacted. It took 2 days of follow up and no response.

Day 3, I call again and take it up strongly, eventually got a call from a lady.

She said pick up and drop would cost me Rs. 250. When I confronted her saying I was informed that it’s a free service she said that sales people provide wrong info even after the service centre folks asking them not to do so. I bargain and eventually ended up agreeing to pay Rs. 150.

2 days later I have no confirmation and when I call about getting my vehicle picked up for next day, as scheduled, she says no drivers are available and it can’t be done. I eventually argued and got her to agree to arrange for a pick up.

On day of service, a person shows up to pick up early at 09:00, took inspection of car, filled forms and took the car. All smooth.

On every call I made to the service centre I repeatedly appraise that there is a BMS (battery management software) update that has to be done on my car, without which the mileage would be bad. They agreed to it.

On day of service, I get a call from executive saying the concerned person to do BMS update wasn’t available and they will drop my car back without BMS update. A series of arguments followed again and few hours later they said they could get the concerned person and got the BMS updated.

Vehicle was dropped back at around 05:00 PM that day. The nearest metro station from home is just 1 km away so I offered to drop their executive there and pay his money. Upon dropping, he argued that I need to shell out Rs. 250 and not Rs. 150. I told him the discussion I had with the lady on call, he was irritated but accepted Rs. 150. He said that people pay Rs. 250 for pick up and drop and then additionally tip them for service. Never had such issue with 13 years of ownership of Hyundai cars, I always used to get free pick up and drop post which I pay Rs. 100 as tip.
raghupro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 17:28   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Greetings Team!
I plan on using whatever EV I purchase as my primary car which means putting easily 15K kms a year or even more.
Since this is going to be your primary car, go for MG ZS EV if it fits your bill. Being an owner of one since more than 2 months, I can tell you that it is worth every penny. During summer, I was getting around 350kms per full charge with AC on all the time and with 70-30 Highway-City driving. Recently, I noticed an increase in range (maybe due to cooler weather) at around 370kms.
So this should be a good highway driver as well for you.
JitendraW is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks