Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2022, 15:07   #91
BHPian

Re: MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
There is some news that MG is going to launch a subscription service for ADAS.
This is a very interesting insight, that would probably redefine the future business model for car ownership - those of subscriptions on the passenger cars.

In the US, Tesla already charges a monthly/quarterly subscription for a range of add-on services such enabling the semi autonomous driving features and even full autonomy.

In India, Tata is currently charging an annual fee for the connected car mobile sync app for the Nexon EV.

Once the feasibility of these add-on features such as ADAS, 360 degrees cameras, Lane keep Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control etc. are well demonstrated in the real world, nothing stops the MGs, Tatas and Mahindras (and host of others) to charge monthly/quarterly subscription fee for enabling these features for their users. This way, the manufacturers can continue to earn perpetual revenues on the cars that have already been sold, which was not the case until now (other than the periodic servicing during the warranty period).

Extrapolating further on this, probably, the future car ownership model could become MoSS (Mobility as a subscription Service)

Interesting times ahead!

Last edited by Early_Adopter : 14th March 2022 at 15:08.
Early_Adopter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 10:52   #92
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
My apologies. I didn't explain it more elaborately.

As the energy density of a battery is much lower than petrol, for an equivalent amount of energy as a car with 40L (30kg) petrol carries, the battery size would be 3000 kg, which is obviously impractical. As a consequence, it cannot compete on the total amount of energy a BEV can carry, it has to cut losses. The biggest loss to a car is aerodynamic loss. To that effect, BEV vehicles are made more aerodynamic compared to their ICE counterparts.

One major aerodynamic drag is the radiator and the grill made for that radiator. (its like a wall) Now since there is no Internal combustion engine, which wastes almost 75% of its energy as heat, there is no heat dissipation that needs to be done through a radiator. As there is no engine radiator, there is no need for the grill itself. Which allows the designers to cover it up with a plastic cover, thus improving aerodynamic efficiency.

the cooling requirements for the battery, whether liquid cooled or air cooled, plus the Air conditioning, are very less compared to the engine itself, and these cooling requirements can be managed using the air which flows under the car itself, as these radiators are smaller and hence can be positioned lower, using the air from the lower portion of the front bumper.

"...BEV vehicles are made more aerodynamic compared to their ICE counterparts...". Perhaps we shall come to such a stage a few years down the line, when EV tech has matured some more. At present from what I can see, most EVs are just counterparts of their ICE models (too numerous to mention!), with the ICE components replaced by the electrical and control hardware / software.
Northway motors of Pune have gone to the extent of converting a Maruti 800 to RWD together with the EV conversion!

Regarding the relative utility of the conventional air-intake grill. The one obvious argument I can see is the fact that most EVs (so far) cut-off power to the motor & thus the prime mover (the battery) is isolated - in other words stops generating heat. All sorts of underbody design acrobatics are resorted to to aid air-flow - and this applies to both ICE & EVs. So arguments for or against front grills are equally viable.

As far as the thermal efficiency of ICE is concerned, it is a debatable point. With current state of the art, the thermal efficiency of a t/charged gasoline engine varies between 39% to 79%, between 2500 to 3500 rpm (https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdo...=rep1&type=pdf). So, to assume that an engine wastes 75% of its input thermal energy (or calorific value) is also a rather large apple to swallow!

Its my belief that all external embellishments (curves, swoops, nacelles, grills etc!) at this point seem to be a matter of choice for individual manufacturers. As EVs (and other sustainable mobility pollution-free solutions) develop and compete ever more fiercely the picture will become clearer.

Last edited by shashanka : 15th March 2022 at 11:02.
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 17:43   #93
BHPian

Looks like deliveries started. Check the below video, at 11.13 he is showing the actual invoice and insurance. My dealer has no idea of this.

newway is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 07:35   #94
BHPian

Here’s the video of the above guy receiving the delivery.
Towards the end of the video, he claims that he got a real world range of 400 km, that too on an expressway, that too at a speed of 100 kmph! It is simply wonderful if that is true.

siddharthgarg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 22:04   #95
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone actually driven the facelift? I still can’t get a test drive. They claim power has increased to 170hp, does it actually feel any different to drive?
Old 18th March 2022, 22:11   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Has anyone actually driven the facelift? I still can’t get a test drive. They claim power has increased to 170hp, does it actually feel any different to drive?
Test driven it last week but all my drive was in peak traffic in normal mode and KERS level 3. Couldn't really push the car to check the increase in hp.
raghupro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 11:17   #97
BHPian

Just got my Pro Forma invoice from the dealer, and the new On Road Price for the Exclusive variant is Rs 27,44,129 with dealer's insurance.
We tried to expedite the delivery for the month of March to avail the tax deduction before April but it seems impossible as most of the dispatches in the month of March are reserved for display/test drive cars and minimally for deliveries. We have been promised allotment of a black car in the second week of April.

Another quick change I forgot to add to my previous post would be the boot. It's gotten SMALL. It's <400 Litres now, close to 370-380 if I remember correctly, as stated by the dealer himself, as compared to the 470 litres it was pre-facelift.

Reason being the spare wheel being a full size alloy this time around as compared to the space saver. I have mixed opinions about it, but it's a good initiative.

MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh-whatsapp-image-20220319-11.16.26-am.jpeg
Arnav612 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 08:15   #98
BHPian

I visited the MG showroom in Bangalore at Mahadevpura, was informed of waiting period of 6-7 months for the ZS EV.

Car in white looked amazing though. At Rs 27.4L, out of my price point currently, but would have loved to own one.
Old 20th March 2022, 12:38   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaleen View Post
I visited the MG showroom in Bangalore at Mahadevpura, was informed of a waiting period of 6-7 months for the ZS EV.

The car in white looked amazing though. At Rs 27.4L, out of my price point currently, but would have loved to own one.
I have seen this movie many times in MG theater. The long waiting period is due to the low allocation of EVs to India. Yes, there is demand for ZS EV but it's not as high as MG wants to make you believe and actual sales volumes are very low.

MG has been saying that they have huge demand but Tata sold more EVs in the last 2 months than MG sold in the last 2 years. In fact, the last 2 month's sales of Tata EVs are almost double that of 2 year MG EV sales.
sri_tesla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 12:57   #100
BHPian

I booked mine at the MG Flagship Showroom in Gurgaon on 6th Feb 2022. I booked the white initially as they were only accepting the colours of the previous gen. I changed it to Black on the day of launch.

I don’t think I will get the car anytime before the end of May or in June 2022. That is okay for me as it gives me a little more time to see if the Haryana Govt. finally does decide to come out with the EV Policy that has been delayed since Nov’ 21.

I have a few questions if someone can answer

1. Does anyone have experience with PPF? Do you think it will fit well on the new indented front of the car or it might come off due to the shape and design.

2. Auto Dimming IRVM is a big miss yet again given that the car has so many tech features in the name of safety. Does anyone know a good way of installing one after market?

3. How are the speakers on this car? I want to install a subwoofer as well, would that affect the range any how? Are there low power subwoofers for EVs?

4. Astor ADAS comes as optional so I would not be surprised that this feature is activated for an additional charge.
Old 20th March 2022, 20:57   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaleen View Post
I visited the MG showroom in Bangalore at Mahadevpura, was informed of waiting period of 6-7 months for the ZS EV.

Car in white looked amazing though. At Rs 27.4L, out of my price point currently, but would have loved to own one.
Is that a new showroom ? Could you please share the exact location of the dealership.

I too have been quoted a waiting period of 4-6 months. If not for the semi conductor issue and limited production, it would have been in garage within weeks from booking.

Still many people don't know much about EVs. I for one will be ditching a Diesel car for EV soon. EVs are Fast, Responsive and Very Efficient too if driven in right way. ICE cars don't tick both the boxes. That's were the EVs start to grow.

My daily commute is 20-35kms. For 1 week, I need Rs. 1500 of Fuel(12 kmpl average) While the same in EV does it in Rs. 175. (Rs.1/km running cost). My office already has a Sanctioned load of 100KW, So, I can install a DC Fast Charger as well if I intend to.

Overall, Future is Going to be Electric, but Diesel and Petrol will continue to exist. While Alternative Fuels like Flex-Fuel/Hydrogen/Ethanol etc will also be available.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 12:07   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Is that a new showroom ? Could you please share the exact location of the dealership.
Hi, This is the dealership on ORR next the to Volkswagen and Skoda showrooms, near the Tin factory junction. I guess its the only one in the Whitefield/Mahadevapura area.
yaleen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 13:57   #103
BHPian

My SA mentioned deliveries are starting this week in Bangalore after all approvals for the MG ZS EV.
Any member here who has already got their EV? Waiting to hear your experience!

Our delivery would be in June/July most likely!
car-o-holic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 21:16   #104
BHPian

I pre-booked the ZS EV excite 2022 version on 5th Jan 2022.

Today went ahead and converted my booking from excite to exclusive. Was given a tentative delivery date of mid May by sales executive which isn’t a bad timeline at all. Hope to get the vehicle delivered by then.
raghupro is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 23:03   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshul70701 View Post
Gave my ZS EV 2020 a gift (Original Astor tail lights) for completing 50000kms without any hassle or a major mechanical problem. The car is still as good as new in terms of driving and I am shocked about this fact that I drive with the heaviest foot possible and the battery degradation is just 3 to 3.5 perc and car goes to 100 in no time. This journey to 50000 was amazing and every time I drive this car even now, a big smile comes on my face. Makes me feel like a kid again. Also waiting for the new one (2022 model)
to arrive in march end or April first week

Also had an interesting chat with the SA today and he gave me the info that the car is fully equipped with ADAS and has all the sensors needed but it is not activated and he told me that company is planning to activate ADAS for 3 years subscription for a certain amount which will be 30 to 50k. Don't know how much of this is true but I wouldn't mind paying 30k for 3 years but 50 is too steep. Lets see what all will be on offer.

Mod Note: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.
Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission.
Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.
ADAS in gen 1 zs ev, I doubt. The gen 1 in India doesn't have the front camera which is there in rest of the world. Attaching a couple of pics.
Attached Thumbnails
MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh-screenshot_20220322225841_google.jpg  

MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh-screenshot_20220322230127_google.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks