Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2022, 15:46   #121
BHPian

Re: MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1974 View Post
Ive been using this feature in all my cars to full benefit to increase luggage capacity. Here it's either up or down no flexibility.
The camera will be required for Lane Change assist that's available. The radar is something I am curious about. The radar could have just been replaced by a plastic dummy. A lot of ADAS features are not of much use in India but if they've given it as an add on in Astor, same should be applicable for ZS EV.

The car launched in Nepal was as INR 32.3 lakhs for 51 kWh and INR 37.3 Lakhs for the 72 kWh model. These prices are because ZS EV is a direct import there. if we look at the 5 lakhs difference and apply it here, no one would buy the ZS EV at 31 Lakhs, regardless of the range.

As the price of batteries come down, I am sure 72 kWh will make it to India but by that time, the charging infrastructure would be good enough to support cars with close to 300km range. The bigger battery would be an overkill right now at the current price.

I completely agree with the spare wheel logic, it might even fractionally increase range when removed altogether. It would be quite insignificant though.

The range is a mismatch because of the tests that the government has, nothing to do with MG there. ZS EV has always given more real world range than the WLTP European range because of warmer and better operating temperatures in India. I think with sensible driving you could extract 380 km range on this model with AC.
ankitsingh7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 15:58   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-o-holic View Post
We did briefly listen to some music from the inbuilt Saavn app. Although the music did not sound wow, we don't remember it being that bad.

I have reached out to the SA to request for another test drive where i want to try out the headlight efficiency (late evening drive) and music system experience, will post my thoughts here after the drive.
I have a question on this

Are there EV specific speakers and sub woofers that use less power than usual?

I think the spare tire subwoofer might be a good addition to the car.
Old 29th March 2022, 21:39   #123
BHPian

Mods - Do we have any indicative dates on when the updated Team-BHP MG ZS EV review will be out?
car-o-holic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 10:12   #124
Senior - BHPian

2022 MG ZS EV media drive reviews

Last edited by Venkatesh : 31st March 2022 at 10:15.
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 14:56   #125
BHPian

It was a pleasant surprise for me yesterday when the sales guy from MG who I had spoken to 4 months prior for the older ZS EV called up and offered me a test drive as he was nearby.

Thankfully this happened exactly at 7pm which is what I wanted to check out the poor head lights reports along with a few other things.

Issues that I personally found;

1. Poor headlights + no fog lamps: I found the head lights poor and as someone who lives half the year in Goa where there is virtually no street lights in the smaller areas I use my fog lights quite regularly. This was a major issue for me as I found it a real struggle seeing with the head lights on normal - full beam of course no issues but I am not that driver.

2. I managed to scrape the bottom on a speed breaker so went back around on the return and it happened again. Ground clearance seems to be a problem as pointed out in one of the videos the battery sits lower than the front and rear bumper which is visible when looking at the car from the side. Slightly worrying if one was to be careless - heaven forbid the battery gets damaged.

3. Regen is poor. I used to crib about the lack of adjustment of the regen level on the Nexon but having got used to it I find myself mostly one pedal driving most of the time. With the KERS set on 3 (the maximum level) it is not as strong as the Nexon.

After a good 30 min test drive I am no longer convinced if I am going to go ahead with my booking or wait for the long range Nexon EV or perhaps even the Kia EV6. Visually the car is stunning and definately a notch up from the Nexon EV in terms of cabin experience.

On the slightly better note it seems deliveries have started as per the sales guys. Looking forward to seeing some ownership reviews!
zandot is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 21:45   #126
BHPian

I am in a bit of a situation regarding the charging set up!

Our apartment complex in South Bangalore is about 11 years old and we have a 5 KW connection currently allotted to us. We spoke with the BESCOM official who was in our complex and he mentioned it won't be easy/ may not be possible to upgrade it to 11/ 13 KW as per our request.

Has anybody else faced this challenge? If yes, how have you overcome this?

We are planning to go down to the BESCOM office to check with them one more time and hope there is a way out!
If not, i am not sure how we can go ahead with out MG ZS EV purchase!
Old 1st April 2022, 22:39   #127
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

Our apartment complex in South Bangalore is about 11 years old and we have a 5 KW connection currently allotted to us. We spoke with the BESCOM official who was in our complex and he mentioned it won't be easy/ may not be possible to upgrade it to 11/ 13 KW as per our request.

We are planning to go down to the BESCOM office to check with them one more time and hope there is a way out!
Since its a apartment, they will need to up size the transformer. So that's not easy.
Let say you up size the transformer and then lets say 3 years from now, a dozen more people have bought EVs. You will again need to up size it.

The substation will also need to upgraded when there are more and more EV.

At night the load will be very high, with all the EVs charging at 7kw.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 06:33   #128
BHPian

Quote:

I have faced a similar problem. I have a house in Delhi and an Apartment in Gurgaon. The apartment is new so they can provide me with a 7kw outlet for the charger. As for delhi, my home or the society does not provide a 7kw load.

Few things need to be checked
  • You need a 7kw load and not 11
  • if your society has an elevator, so they do have the load, you just need to negotiate with them
  • even with 5kw, it would increase your charging time to around 12 hours or so. Basically overnight.
ankitsingh7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 11:50   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsingh7 View Post
I have faced a similar problem. I have a house in Delhi and an Apartment in Gurgaon. The apartment is new so they can provide me with a 7kw outlet for the charger. As for delhi, my home or the society does not provide a 7kw load.

Few things need to be checked
  • You need a 7kw load and not 11
  • if your society has an elevator, so they do have the load, you just need to negotiate with them
  • even with 5kw, it would increase your charging time to around 12 hours or so. Basically overnight.
When site inspection was done by MG folks at our home, here is what they said.

Our home’s current sanction load is 5KW and as per the bills generated, it shows we have been using up to a peak load of 4KW. He advised that summer usage would be higher and duly considering ZS EV’s fast charge requirement, it’s better to upgrade to 13KW.
raghupro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 12:03   #130
BHPian

Quote:

We have a 4kW load at our House and we just use the portable charger to charge up our MG because its a huge headache to get BESCOM to up the load. Plus its cheaper to charge using a 15 Amp Charger because there are no fixed charges for the meter. You can charge up the car using the portable charger overnight
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 13:39   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghupro View Post
When site inspection was done by MG folks at our home, here is what they said.

Our home’s current sanction load is 5KW and as per the bills generated, it shows we have been using up to a peak load of 4KW. He advised that summer usage would be higher and duly considering ZS EV’s fast charge requirement, it’s better to upgrade to 13KW.
Have you tried exploring another connection?
You can check for an LT6 connection. A separate one might be the way to go
It might also help with the electricity bill.
Old 3rd April 2022, 14:22   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsingh7 View Post
Have you tried exploring another connection?
You can check for an LT6 connection. A separate one might be the way to go
It might also help with the electricity bill.
Here in Telangana, the max number of meters we can avail for an independent house is 4. Beyond which, we need to set in place a panel board. The whole set up for panel board will cost around 80k to 1 lakh. We already have 4 meters at home.
Old 4th April 2022, 09:45   #133
BHPian

Quote:

I had the same problem. It is an expensive headache to enhance our electrical connections. If you read the earlier posts on this thread and the other MG ZS EV thread (3 Nights & 2 days with the MG ZS EV - Extended Test Drive & Review) there are some who have opted out of installing the 7 Kw charger and simply use the 16A plug at home.

Luckily my workplace is a factory with plenty of capacity to install the charger, at home I will use the 16A plug.

Remember that unless you drive a lot every day the 16A plug should suffice. However if you do need to drive long distances regularly you need to find a way to install this charger at home. I think it takes almost 20 hours to fully charge using the 16A plug however most people will never take the charge close to zero on a regular basis.

What does hurt is that we will have already paid for the charger because it is included in the price of the car, and MG probably won't provide a discount or refund if you choose not to install it.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 10:20   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The thing with BESCOM is that to make something possible, you need to pay for that. When my sister bought her ZS EV a year and half back, the first option was to make use of the fast charger, although it was still with MG and back then, the policy was that they will handover the fast charger to the third party company that does the installation and not directly to the owner.
However, the overall cost just for BESCOM to sanction the higher power was unbelievable, that I opted straight out from it and got a neat job done from a known person to get a 16amp plug point fixed in our car park, which was connected to our meter.
For my sister's type of use, this was perfect since she has a fast charger installed in her office building and otherwise it is charged overnight using the portable charger. 5% / hour is the average charging rate on the portable charger and from what I read and heard, it is good for the battery life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post

What does hurt is that we will have already paid for the charger, and MG probably won't provide a discount or refund if you choose not to install it.
It is better to have the fast charger with you as it will prove useful someday or when you sell the car. I had to go through a lot of hassle to get the fast charger in hand since initially MG didn't hand over the fast charger to the owner unless it is installed by their third party company.

Last edited by tharian : 4th April 2022 at 10:23.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 19:13   #135
BHPian

Any news on the Team-BHP review of MG ZS EV?

I am looking forward to it very keenly!
car-o-holic is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks