Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2022, 15:25   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture

Why not relaunch the Nano as an EV?
Just a thought, TAMO I’m sure would have had similar thoughts.
If priced right and powered/priced on par with the Alto or Kwid, would rock the entire nation!
It has the potential to lead the EV revolution!
pradheepsr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 15:34   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradheepsr View Post
Why not relaunch the Nano as an EV?
Just a thought, TAMO I’m sure would have had similar thoughts.
If priced right and powered/priced on par with the Alto or Kwid, would rock the entire nation!
It has the potential to lead the EV revolution!
The issue was safety I believe, that's why the electric Nanos were branded Jayem instead of Tata. Former CEO Guenter Butschek mentioned that it would be costly to re-engineer the Nano platform to meet the newer crash safety standards. The Nano was launched at a time when the 800 was still popular and the safety benchmarks we see today were non-existent.

Last edited by shortbread : 7th April 2022 at 15:35.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 16:50   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
The issue was safety I believe, that's why the electric Nanos were branded Jayem instead of Tata. Former CEO Guenter Butschek mentioned that it would be costly to re-engineer the Nano platform to meet the newer crash safety standards. The Nano was launched at a time when the 800 was still popular and the safety benchmarks we see today were non-existent.
Yes, you are right. The reasons are:
1) Investment to upgrade the Nano's crashworthiness in tune with the present NCAP norms, are huge
2) It's not that TML cannot raise the cash. No one in marketing or product planning is gutsy enough to justify the business case with projected retail numbers - lest it doesn't meet proposed targets.
3) TML does not want a standalone rear-wheel drive small car platform. They want to commonise cars, >4m sedans and compact SUV's on Altroz base, larger SUV's on Harrier platform and a bespoke EV platform which is in the making.

Can a front wheel drive EV Nano be built on a shortened wheelbase version of the Altroz platform with an on road price of say 7-8 lakhs? Maybe yes, with some clever engineering, component sharing and spec optimisation. Will TML build it? Aaaah! That's the million dollar question to which even TML doesn't want to answer!
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 17:18   #49
BANNED

I'm not sure if coupe is the word. I understood coupe to be a 2-door design (or 3-door including the rear hatch) and the Curvv clearly has 4-doors! The only coupe SUV that TAMO had in their portfolio was the original Sierra. And frankly, I found the new Sierra (launch in 2023 ?) to be a more elegant - and SUV-ish! - design.

To me the Curvv seems an extension of the generic silhoutte of the current range of X-over wannabe SUVs. Mahindra has had several box-office success in the recent past (Thar, XUV700and that old war-horse, the Bolero). But they have not yet come up with an EV launch, though the XUV300 EV keeps popping up in the media. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Last edited by shashanka : 7th April 2022 at 17:24.
Old 7th April 2022, 18:38   #50
BHPian

Tata is doing what Tesla did to EVs in US.

Damn, the car is futuristic and it will sell in numbers. If launched @ 25L with a 50KW battery, it will surely beat competition by miles.

All they need is to beef up the charging infra in this time period.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 16:04   #51
BHPian

Shailesh Chandra's Autocar interview:

Some major highlights:
•The car is 4.3m in length.
•As expected, the positioning will be above Nexon
•It isn't a conventional body style, which will appeal to Indian buyers. They aren't positioning it as a niche product. Its for the masses.
•They expect it to attract buyers from various segments as it's a completely new, fresh product for the market.
•Targetting less than 2 years for launch.

Another interview (more informative one)

Highlights:
•Tata delivered around 20k EVs in FY22, 5x compared to the previous financial year. Demand was much higher than 20k units even in FY22.
•With decrease in battery cell prices they had two options: either slash the prices of existing electric models or increase the range. They are going for the second option, increasing the range and features in EVs which will be visible in Gen2 vehicles like Curvv.
•Promise of launching 2 electric cars every year till 2025.

Dear moderators, please merge this with the previous post.
Mod Note: Please use the EDIT function if adding content within a short time window. Secondly, please use the report post function if you want to bring any post to Moderator attention.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th April 2022 at 03:30. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
udaikalra01 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 18:00   #52
Senior - BHPian

Highlights from the interviews:

SUV Coupé segment

- Expecting the SUV coupé to be a growing segment, with global makers also planning more launches on this body shape. Increasing SUV sales means that there is a need to differentiate from other offerings. It is the right time to introduce such a product in the Indian market.

- Aim is to appeal to more customers, not just SUVs or any particular segment. Although the Indian consumers are normally seen as conventional, TML thinks they can surprise you especially since average customer age is falling, 63% + is under the age of 35. Customers are looking for self expression (I think this is true and the Thar's massive success is a great example). So TML sees SUV coupes to bring in volumes and not just a niche player.

The Curvv

- 4.3 meter car, positioned above the Nexon. Increased length will liberate more interior space.

- Want to launch Curvv as a whitespace product where no alternatives from competition currently exist, hence it will be offered as a pure EV first.

- Curvv is targeting a market launch well within 2 years. Work has been ongoing for some time. So expect this end of calendar year 2023 or first quarter 2024.

- Style will focus on detailing while maintaining simplicity in the design.

- Insides of the Curvv preview the design direction for future Tata product interiors.

Gen 2 EV architecture

- Gen 2 EV architecture. Rather than leverage increasing volumes to decrease prices TML will instead focus on larger battery packs, more features and increased range. The investment is now justified due to increasing EV sales.

- Increased range and more features (read faster charging times) will reduce barriers posed by previous EVs. Gen 2 EV architecture will increase range to 400-500 kms.

- Gen 3 will be a pure EV platform but will only launch when battery prices are drastically reduced.

EV car market & future launches

- Only 20% of initial Nexon EV customers considered it their primary/only vehicle. Today it has gone upto 65%.

- Last month alone the Nexon EV garnered more than 6000 bookings. We are seeing EV demand grow every month and TML is currently struggling to meet this.

- Last year (FY22) TML sold 20k EVS albeit real demand was far higher. The year before, ie. FY21 TML only sold 4k EVS.

- More electric cars being planned on the Gen 2 EV architecture, run rate of at least 2 launches every year.

- Current EV production capacity is at 3,500 units per month. Going forward TML is looking to multiply production capacity and not simply percentile increases. Information will be kept confidential because it is competition sensitive.

Last edited by shortbread : 8th April 2022 at 18:14.
shortbread is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 09:00   #53
Team-BHP Support

Tata Curvv Concept : A Close Look

Tata Motors has unveiled the Curvv Electric SUV Concept. The production version of the SUV, which has a silhouette of a coupe, is expected to go on sale within the next two years. This could be the first mass market SUV to be sold in India to have a coupe body style.

Another interesting point to note is that the Curvv has been designed as an EV. Internal combustion engine (ICE) versions will be introduced later. This is exactly opposite to the trend we have seen so far, where the ICE version of a car come first and the electric version follows.

The Curvv has been designed in Europe and is based on the "Less is More" design philosophy. Except for a few changes, the production car will look exactly like the concept. It uses Tata Motors' Generation 2 EV architecture, which will be capable of offering multi-powertrain options.

Tata Curvv Concept Exterior Images

Coupe body style with lots of edges and creases all over. The Curvv looks much bigger and better in person than in pictures. The concept has a carbon-fibre body:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-e1.jpg

Front end features an LED bar running across its width. The edges of the bonnet are raised:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-e2.jpg

Rear end also features an LED light bar running across its width. From this angle it looks more like a notchback than an SUV:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-e3.jpg

Notice the sheer number of cuts and creases on the front fascia. The "T" badge sticks out at the front. The bumper has a large glossy black insert with a grooved pattern:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-e4.jpg

LED DRLs double up as turn-indicators. They also incorporate an animated welcome feature:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-e5.jpg

Triangular LED headlamps are placed low on the bumper. A slim, cleverly concealed air curtain is located on the outside:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-e6.jpg

Full underbody protection:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-e9.jpg

Bonnet has strong crease lines. It has a "floating" design which allows airflow to channel underneath and exit through triangular slats:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-e10.jpg

Glossy black side view monitors with integrated turn-indicators. The production car will get proper ORVMs:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-e11.jpg

Wheel arches are finished in glossy black. 20" wheels have aero blade inserts and diamond turned finished surfaces. The production car will have smaller wheels:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-e14.jpg

Glossy black body cladding with interesting detailing:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-e13.jpg

Panoramic sunroof:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-e16.jpg

Split rear spoiler adds to the aerodynamic look. Unique LED lamps surround the rear windshield:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-e17.jpg

Like the front, the rear too features multiple cuts and creases and a "T" badge that sticks out:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-e18.jpg

Rear bumper has a similar glossy black insert to the front unit. It also features a slim fog lamp and cuts on the side with a triangular design pattern:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-e20.jpg

Tata Curvv Concept Interior Images

The interior is made out of recycled plastic. The surfaces feature different textures and detailing and haptic controls. Two separate tablet-like screens have been provided - one for the instrument cluster and one for the infotainment system:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-i2.jpg

Two spoke, flat-bottom steering wheel:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-i4.jpg

The instrument cluster:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-i5.jpg

Larger tablet-like screen for the infotainment system:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-i6.jpg

Doorpads have various shades and glossy black inserts on the armrests:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-i7.jpg

Expect proper bucket seats on the production car. At the far end, notice how the armrest on the driver's door stretches onto the B-Pillar:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-i8.jpg

A look at how the seats are mounted on the floor:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-i9.jpg

Glossy black centre console houses the rotary gear selector, haptic parking brake and the centre armrest:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-i10.jpg

Floor is flat. Two symmetrical pedals for the accelerator and brake have aluminium inserts:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-i12.jpg

Large panoramic sunroof covers most of the roof section:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-i13.jpg

Rear doorpads have an identical theme to the front ones. The :
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-i14.jpg

Haptic controls for the window and locking operations:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-i15.jpg

Despite the sloping roofline, there is enough headroom at the rear. Individual seats will make way for a bench in the production car:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-i16.jpg

Seatbacks of the front seats have elastic straps:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-i17.jpg

Boot is spacious, but loading lip is high:
Tata Curvv Electric SUV concept revealed; previews Gen-2 EV architecture-i18.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 10th April 2022 at 11:55.
Aditya is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 09:28   #54
BHPian

Tata Global Design Head Marting Uhlarik says that the concept exterior has 97% production bits. Almost all of it including the dual screen set up, the front triangular lights will make it to production especially for the EV version. The production version will even retain the "Curvv' name from the concept!
Also, Tata will start introducing facelifts for the existing models in the coming months.

Last edited by udaikalra01 : 10th April 2022 at 09:32.
udaikalra01 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 09:32   #55
BHPian

Am I the only one who thinks this design is shockingly ugly, and hoping it’s not the new norm?
PS - I dislike Nexons design too, but that felt more tolerable. This feels more overdone and disproportionate.
speedracer05 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 09:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

An Exterior and Interior walkaround by Gagan Choudhary
Maky is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 09:46   #57
BHPian

This EV concept is alluring, more videos reviews follows.

ManneAtWheelz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 10:39   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Tata Curvv Concept : A Close Look

@ Aditya, how production ready does the concept look like in person?
Old 10th April 2022, 10:58   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
@ Aditya, how production ready does the concept look like in person?
Still a long time away if you ask me. They didn't let me sit in it. You can guess by that .
Aditya is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 12:00   #60
BHPian

Stunning looks and all round profile. Kudos TATA!!! With a 500+ range it will truly be a mile muncher that can be taken on long drives with confidence. Good to see Indian company setting up the markers. Hope the so called market leaders wake up and provide compelling competition before it is too late.

Last edited by venbas : 10th April 2022 at 12:01. Reason: Quote correction
venbas is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed