Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2022, 11:48   #406
BHPian

Re: 2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review

46 solar panels is impressive!
3 panels for 1kw output...hmmm
If I may know, what size/area is each panel? And how much did the whole setup cost you?
Old 9th December 2022, 18:37   #407
BHPian

I did not do exact measurement most likely each pane isl 2 meter height by 1 meter width.
Cost depends on inverter and panel. I went for single inverter with local person for installation which cost me around 8.5 with another 50k for electrical work and upgrading my sanctioned electricity load from 10.5 kw to 15kw. This is because you can install solar capacity upto your sanctioned electricity load only since I have 2 Evs and once you install you cannot change the agreement with electricity board for 25 years I went for 15 Kw.
There is another type of solar panel which has individual inverter in each panel that will cost 1.5 times of my setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanSabh View Post
46 solar panels is impressive!
3 panels for 1kw output...hmmm
If I may know, what size/area is each panel? And how much did the whole setup cost you?
dockap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 07:43   #408

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Hi. I dont own a zs ev but i do own a nexon ev and this is normal as far as nexon ev is concerned.
Thanks mate! This was helpful.

Little off-topic, MG sold 629 ZS EV this Nov 2022. Their highest ever sales for ZS EV in the country. It seems like supply constraints got better for them, hence more deliveries. People waiting for their ZS EV to get delivered can expect early delivery.

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th December 2022 at 08:11. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Trimmed quoted post.
arunrana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 14:00   #409
BHPian

Recently, I undertook a 1500 km round trip on my ZS EV. The route was Chennai - Coimbatore -Pollachi - Cochin - Coimbatore - Chennai. The ride was a breeze and quite uneventful, with the vehicle consistently giving me a range between 7.5 to 8 Km/Kwh. At one stage, this figure climbed up to even a maximum of 9.9 km/Kwh!

I used Zeon chargers throughout the journey (Tindivanam - Sankari - Brookefields Mall, Coimbatore - Grand Mall, Cochin) and found them all to be very reliable.

On the return journey, I did try to charge at a BPCL petrol pump near Vikravandi, near Villupuram. This was a charger manufactured by the company, Ionage. The charging was not successful as the App did not work properly and communication could not be established between the charger and the vehicle. Wasted 15 minutes for nothing.

In Pollachi, I faced a strange problem! The Zeon charger in Pollachi is installed within the premises of a popular vegetarian restaurant. When I reached the place, there was a huge wedding taking place there and access to the charger was blocked, due to cars parked in a haphazard manner. Fortunately, I had enough charge to reach Kerala safely, so this did not affect me greatly.

EV-s undertaking long journeys are still a rarity on Indian roads, so I did not have to wait for my turn, in any of the charging stations. This situation may change in the next few years.

Hope the EV charging infrastructure keeps pace with the advent of more EV-s on our roads!
Rada is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 21:00   #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
Recently, I undertook a 1500 km round trip on my ZS EV. The route was Chennai - Coimbatore -Pollachi - Cochin - Coimbatore - Chennai. The ride was a breeze and quite uneventful, with the vehicle consistently giving me a range between 7.5 to 8 Km/Kwh. At one stage, this figure climbed up to even a maximum of 9.9 km/Kwh!
Hi Rada,

I have been travelling from Chennai to Coimbatore and back. The max I have got is 7km/KWh.

What kind of settings do you keep like driving mode and KERS?

I do it with Normal and Level 3 KERS.
Old 11th December 2022, 22:48   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
a range between 7.5 to 8 Km/Kwh. At one stage, this figure climbed up to even a maximum of 9.9 km/Kwh!
My best average has been 7.5 km/KW . Today i did see it go up to 8 but that was with AC off at 65-70kmph
My usual highway speeds are between 90 and 100 kmph and with Ac on on auto at 23 degrees and ECO with kers at 1 and the average is between 6.3 to 6.8 Kms/KW

So like gowtham.13 - "What kind of settings do you keep like driving mode and KERS?" and what are your AC settings?

Last edited by rajeshrajan : 11th December 2022 at 22:51.
Old 12th December 2022, 09:39   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshrajan View Post
So like gowtham.13 - "What kind of settings do you keep like driving mode and KERS?" and what are your AC settings?
During city driving, my settings are always ECO/KERS 3 and the range I get is between 5.6 to 6.3 km/KWh. Not more.

As far as this particular trip goes, I had initially set it for NORMAL/KERS 1 and that was when I was getting a reading of 7.2 to 7.5 km/KWh.

Later on, I tried out ECO/KERS 1 and after about 20 minutes, the console was indicating 8 to 8.5 km/KWh.

In both cases, cruise control was set for 80Kmph. We were two passengers in the car. The aircon was at 23 C.

I saw the 9.9 km/KWh reading (wish I had taken a screenshot of that!) on the Pollachi -Vadakkanchery section. This is a picturesque route with a lot of curves, ascents and descents and I was driving at a sedate 50-60 Kmph with the cruise control off. Settings were ECO/KERS 3 with aircon at 23 C.

My own feeling is that more than the Driving/KERS modes, what really has an impact on the range is the average speed. In my case, I kept it under 80Kmph, to avoid that irritating alarm that comes on once you cross that limit! :-)

Please feel free to ask if you have more questions.
Rada is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 11:19   #413
BHPian

• Bought Acko insurance from outside. Paid 60k with zero dep and return to invoice, compared to 124k quoted by dealer (policy from ICICI Lombard). No pressure from dealer to buy their insurance, they were cool with outside purchase.
Even I had planned to buy insurance from outside dealership as it was comparatively very cheap, but the twist here is that all insurance companies including ICICI Lombard are covering only 50% of the battery cost while the one bought through MG is covering 100% of the battery cost. So I opted to go with the dealer.
  • Declined MG Shield, since EV won’t require many schedule servicing costs (hopefully). Again, no hassle from dealer about this and they did not push for any unnecessary accessories.
Even if your mileage is low, the car will have to be serviced once a year atleast to retain the warranty. So, I don't think not buying the MG shield plan will make any difference.
Old 13th December 2022, 12:32   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrey220 View Post
Even I had planned to buy insurance from outside dealership as it was comparatively very cheap, but the twist here is that all insurance companies including ICICI Lombard are covering only 50% of the battery cost while the one bought through MG is covering 100% of the battery cost. So I opted to go with the dealer.
The battery comes with 8 years/150k kms warranty so not sure what difference will the 100% battery cost coverage will make in the first year itself. Maybe I am missing a point here if you can help me understand.
Old 13th December 2022, 13:10   #415
BHPian

Accidental damage i guess. The battery pack is under the floor of the car. Can get damaged
on a speedbreaker, pothole etc or in case of major accident other insurance companies may only pay 50% of cost of battery pack. I also went with showroom insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitendraW View Post
The battery comes with 8 years/150k kms warranty so not sure what difference will the 100% battery cost coverage will make in the first year itself. Maybe I am missing a point here if you can help me understand.

Last edited by dockap : 13th December 2022 at 13:12.
Old 13th December 2022, 13:10   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitendraW View Post
Insurance will cover 100% battery cost in unfortunate incidents like accidents or flooding which might need a battery replacement. Warranty doesn't cover all this, unless there's a defect in the battery.
Old 13th December 2022, 14:34   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Where are you seeing only 50% battery coverage? Can you share a link?

Acko specifically told me battery is 100% covered. I highly doubt specially created insurance policies are being sold by dealerships. If that was the case, they wouldn't match outside insurance quotes like they have done for many buyers.
Old 13th December 2022, 14:51   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
Where are you seeing only 50% battery coverage? Can you share a link?

Acko specifically told me battery is 100% covered. I highly doubt specially created insurance policies are being sold by dealerships. If that was the case, they wouldn't match outside insurance quotes like they have done for many buyers.
I was specifically informed by many motor insurance companies including ICICI Lombard that they provide only 50% coverage for the battery, but the same insurance provider, ICICI Lombard is providing 100% coverage if bought via the dealer. B. U. Bhandari, Pune to be specific.
I think it differs from dealer to dealer and maybe when they are matching the insurance premium with the outside ones, they might be giving the same 50% battery coverage policy. Only assuming.
Old 13th December 2022, 15:32   #419
BHPian

Quote:
I was specifically informed by many motor insurance companies including ICICI Lombard that they provide only 50% coverage for the battery, but the same insurance provider, ICICI Lombard is providing 100% coverage if bought via the dealer. B. U. Bhandari, Pune to be specific.
I think it differs from dealer to dealer and maybe when they are matching the insurance premium with the outside ones, they might be giving the same 50% battery coverage policy. Only assuming.
In the insurance policy you have from the dealer, does it have anything explicitly written stating that it covers 100% of the battery?
Old 13th December 2022, 17:28   #420
BHPian

Hi all,

Has anyone in Hyderabad took delivery of the MG ZS Excite variant? The dealer is saying MG is prioritising and only delivering Excite variant to B2B customers now. It will take more time before private buyers gets the allotment. Please confirm.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks