Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2023, 18:56   #556
BHPian

Re: 2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You can trust the MG when it comes to range left. So, unless you are planning long drive, you confidently let it go into low 20s or even teens before charging. It is good for battery life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Let it drop to even 10% and then charge and that should be the routine everytime unless otherwise. A full charging cycle is good for the battery and it's longevity.
My first drive was a long one of 250 kilometers so the range slipped to 34 percent and from there I did a full slow charge on the 16amp socket. The only issue is that it takes 16 hours to charge from that state of 34 percent and thats very long hence I kept charging it up when it hits 70 or 80 percent.

I have the 7.5kw charger installed at the office and I noticed its faster so I can charge it to full using that and that should equalize the cells too right since its also technically AC slow charging. Do correct me if I am wrong. God Speed
DrZhivago is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 19:35   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZhivago View Post
My first drive was a long one of 250 kilometers so the range slipped to 34 percent and from there I did a full slow charge on the 16amp socket. The only issue is that it takes 16 hours to charge from that state of 34 percent and thats very long hence I kept charging it up when it hits 70 or 80 percent.

I have the 7.5kw charger installed at the office and I noticed its faster so I can charge it to full using that and that should equalize the cells too right since its also technically AC slow charging. Do correct me if I am wrong. God Speed
The idea as far as I know is to charge in one go and not give a break as that breaks the cycle.
If you have a fast charger in office, use it but when the charge drops to 15-10% and use the slow charger once in 5-6 charges. Slow charging is good for the battery on the long run.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 23:06   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The idea as far as I know is to charge in one go and not give a break as that breaks the cycle.
Does the charging cycle break.I read an article which defines charging cycle .The excerpts are quoted below
"You complete one charge cycle when you’ve used (discharged) an amount that equals 100 per cent of your battery’s capacity — but not necessarily all from one charge. For instance, you might use 75 per cent of your battery’s capacity one day, then recharge it fully overnight. If you use 25 per cent the next day, you will have discharged a total of 100 per cent, and the two days will add up to one charge cycle. It could take several days to complete a cycle"

https://www.apple.com/in/batteries/w...y%20overnight.
das_ren_auto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 13:58   #559
BHPian

I have another doubt regarding the rotary gear shifter. I have been driving the vehicle for a week now and I was thinking if I should shift slowly between R and D by stopping at N. The Jaguar I drive has a rotary shifter but there is this slot of sorts wherein I stop at N and proceed but with the MG it's like smooth and I need to be conscious to stop at N and then go to R or D. I have always stopped and then shifted when driving automatics but this is confusing me now. Any idea? God Speed
Old 4th February 2023, 21:41   #560
BHPian

Something interesting happened the other day. At work, we have these automated parking systems which elevate your car once you are parked. The watchman asked me to fold the mirrors and I had no idea how to do it. The only time I have seen the mirrors fold is when I lock the car.

Turns out that you can fold the mirrors by moving the mirror adjust knob downwards. Literally no visual indication of such a functionality. I had to Google to figure it out.

Quote:
I have another doubt regarding the rotary gear shifter. I have been driving the vehicle for a week now and I was thinking if I should shift slowly between R and D by stopping at N. The Jaguar I drive has a rotary shifter but there is this slot of sorts wherein I stop at N and proceed but with the MG it's like smooth and I need to be conscious to stop at N and then go to R or D. I have always stopped and then shifted when driving automatics but this is confusing me now. Any idea? God Speed
In an ICE car, the gear actually needs to be changed when you move between D - N - R. In EV, it's just a motor configuration, so I don't see any problem in directly changing it. This is also the reason why you can simply click the stop button without even hitting the parking brake, since it's all electronic, it is automatically done by the car
shyampsunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 07:24   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_ren_auto View Post
Does the charging cycle break.I read an article which defines charging cycle .The excerpts are quoted below
"You complete one charge cycle when you’ve used (discharged) an amount that equals 100 per cent of your battery’s capacity — but not necessarily all from one charge. For instance, you might use 75 per cent of your battery’s capacity one day, then recharge it fully overnight. If you use 25 per cent the next day, you will have discharged a total of 100 per cent, and the two days will add up to one charge cycle. It could take several days to complete a cycle"

https://www.apple.com/in/batteries/w...y%20overnight.
It is still okay to bring it down to 25% and then charge to 100, although that was an example. More than breaking the cycle, I was trying to convey that charging everytime the SoC drops by 20-30% is not required.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 15:00   #562

Hello BHPians,

Two things I wanted to get your opinion on:

1. Knocking/Clicking Sound from the Steering : I started hearing like knocking or clicking sound from the steering, called the Tech person at MG showroom and he said its a functional sound and nothing to worry about. But I read online that it happens when the universal joint in the steering column collapess. I have not read anything on this in the forum, anyone experienced this?

2. Charging - We have 7.5kWh paid chargers in the society. Last night I let the battery go down to 9% and kept it on charge with 50 kWh as the billing about or charging target. I expected it to stop when it reached 100%. So technically it should have stopped around 46 kWh, but the car got charged all the way to 50 kWh and the % showing in the app is at 99% .

Do u think this is an issue with car system? Do I have to do the equalization charge at the 16 amps switch? which I have to check if I can. Or is it an issue with the charger provider company?
Attached Thumbnails
2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-photo_20230205_143027-2.jpg  

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-photo_20230205_143027.jpg  

praveen4839 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 19:00   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen4839 View Post
Hello BHPians,

1. Knocking/Clicking Sound from the Steering : I started hearing like knocking or clicking sound from the steering, called the Tech person at MG showroom and he said its a functional sound and nothing to worry about. But I read online that it happens when the universal joint in the steering column collapess. I have not read anything on this in the forum, anyone experienced this?

2. Charging - We have 7.5kWh paid chargers in the society. Last night I let the battery go down to 9% and kept it on charge with 50 kWh as the billing about or charging target. I expected it to stop when it reached 100%. So technically it should have stopped around 46 kWh, but the car got charged all the way to 50 kWh and the % showing in the app is at 99% .

Do u think this is an issue with car system? Do I have to do the equalization charge at the 16 amps switch? which I have to check if I can. Or is it an issue with the charger provider company?
1) Can you elaborate when this clicking sound occurs? Is it when you turn the steering during parking etc? Is it when the car is stationary or when its slightly moving? Do you hear it on the highway?

2) I dont know much this issue as such and it can be a minor glitch of sorts but the fact that 50kw was used means its not a glitch? You should ask the service technician about this and share with us the explanation you got. God Speed
Old 5th February 2023, 19:41   #564

I had faced the same issue when I was charging in Govt. installed Fast Charger in BTM Bangalore . The system showed System fault, This happened due to the fact that I tried to charge my Zs with the Car ignition on .
Later I had the RSA Called and they made arrangement for taxi back to mysore .But they said I had to collect the car from bangalore service center and they will not deliver it to Mysore .
Got the car after a day
Old 5th February 2023, 22:53   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen4839 View Post
Hello BHPians,

There could be 10% of charging losses, may be the car can report how much kwh it took, the difference between charging station kwh and car reported kwh are charging losses.
SKC-auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 21:53   #566

Quote:
1) Can you elaborate when this clicking sound occurs? Is it when you turn the steering during parking etc? Is it when the car is stationary or when its slightly moving? Do you hear it on the highway?

2) I don't know much this issue as such and it can be a minor glitch of sorts but the fact that 50kw was used means its not a glitch? You should ask the service technician about this and share with us the explanation you got. God Speed

For Point 1) I can usually hear it when the speed is low below 30/kmph. Its when the car is moving, not noticed it on the highway. But I should mention that when I was returning from my road trip when the car was pretty new I felt vibration in the steering when going over 100/kmph on those dribble type speed breakers which was not there earlier.

2) Have to call and check with them next time when I speak to service people.
Old 6th February 2023, 22:03   #567

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
There could be 10% of charging losses, may be the car can report how much kwh it took, the difference between charging station kwh and car reported kwh are charging losses.
I don't think there is way to track on the app in the car as to how much charge did it take post the event. Let me know if there is way.
Old 7th February 2023, 07:38   #568

Is there a way to exit from Navigation? Even when you click on stop navigation and exit to home screen, it still gives instructions on speed breakers and curves.
Old 7th February 2023, 17:07   #569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajala View Post
Is there a way to exit from Navigation? Even when you click on stop navigation and exit to home screen, it still gives instructions on speed breakers and curves.
If you click on Navigation that's it will start giving instruction, you should go to the navigation and mute the sound so that u don't get disturbed.
praveen4839 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 10:10   #570
BHPian

ZS EV comes with a full size alloy spare wheel.Ideally it can be used during every wheel alignment so that spare tyre also gets some running.
But as it does not have tpms sensor,the vehicle will keep on giving tpms error. Any work around for this?
das_ren_auto is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks