Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2022, 19:29   #421
BHPian

Re: 2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
In the insurance policy you have from the dealer, does it have anything explicitly written stating that it covers 100% of the battery?
I would like to know the same. I was thinking of going for the Acko Insurance but now when i read about this whole 50% battery coverage issue I am having second thoughts. Can anyone check it up and update? Especially the ones who have already got the Acko insurance. God Speed
Old 14th December 2022, 20:57   #422
Senior - BHPian

Just checked Acko insurance, it has option for "Back to invoice", which will pay you everything including RTO charges, does this not mean 100% battery cost?
Old 15th December 2022, 14:04   #423
BHPian

I have booked ZS EV Excite and have been promised delivery in 2-3 weeks. There is one available but I wanted an early Jan registration.

The dealer experience in Bangalore has been nice and professional. Nothing to complain about. Dealer did not push to take insurance from them and was okay to knock off Essential kit etc which is a nice experience. I am planning to take insurance from outside (Acko?) and thus keenly following this thread.

~sm
Old 15th December 2022, 14:07   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Just checked Acko insurance, it has option for "Back to invoice", which will pay you everything including RTO charges, does this not mean 100% battery cost?
Confirmed with Acko. Return to Invoice will mean 100% coverage for the entire car including registration charges. Even bumper-to-bumper 0 depreciation coverage covers 100% of the battery according to them. If you are concerned, best to get a written statement from them over email.
shyampsunder is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 10:46   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
During city driving, my settings are always ECO/KERS 3 and the range I get is between 5.6 to 6.3 km/KWh. Not more.

As far as this particular trip goes, I had initially set it for NORMAL/KERS 1 and that was when I was getting a reading of 7.2 to 7.5 km/KWh.

Later on, I tried out ECO/KERS 1 and after about 20 minutes, the console was indicating 8 to 8.5 km/KWh.

In both cases, cruise control was set for 80Kmph. We were two passengers in the car. The aircon was at 23 C.

I saw the 9.9 km/KWh reading (wish I had taken a screenshot of that!) on the Pollachi -Vadakkanchery section. This is a picturesque route with a lot of curves, ascents and descents and I was driving at a sedate 50-60 Kmph with the cruise control off. Settings were ECO/KERS 3 with aircon at 23 C.

My own feeling is that more than the Driving/KERS modes, what really has an impact on the range is the average speed. In my case, I kept it under 80Kmph, to avoid that irritating alarm that comes on once you cross that limit! :-)

Please feel free to ask if you have more questions.
I drive the 2020 ZSEV model.
Always Eco+KERS3 city or highway. In the city ~6-6.5 km/kWh, on the highways very easy to get 8 or above (if not uphill of course) with AC on, the highest I got was 10 with AC off. I get 8 very easily in my office commutes, which is ~22km (15km on Mumbai's Eastern Express Highway).
How I tend to get a good "mileage"
a. I drive a bit "mindlessly" or kind of subconsciously as an AI (or a very seasoned chauffeur) would. No fast acceleration, no jerks, no racing or competing with other cars, keeping to a safe and steady lane, and no sudden brakes (in fact I usually brake only if I need to stop). Anytime I try to drive very consciously mileage goes down. I recommend listening to some easy audiobooks. Anytime I put my mind to driving kWh drops by 2
b. Keep the tire pressure on the higher side. I have noticed a good 0.75 to 1.0 kWh difference between 27 and 34 psi. Maybe an engineer would be able to explain the observation. I usually keep the pressure at 32-33 psi
c. Fewer passengers (and luggage) = better efficiency.
d. After fast charging don't start driving immediately. Wait for 10-15 mins, then drive. I have seen better returns on this, especially on long drives.
doctorjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 12:04   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjee View Post
a. I drive a bit "mindlessly" or kind of subconsciously as an AI (or a very seasoned chauffeur) would. No fast acceleration, no jerks, no racing or competing with other cars, keeping to a safe and steady lane, and no sudden brakes (in fact I usually brake only if I need to stop). Anytime I try to drive very consciously mileage goes down. I recommend listening to some easy audiobooks. Anytime I put my mind to driving kWh drops by 2
This is so true and the main benefit is actually reduced stress in urban driving, any mileage gain is an additional bonus. I strongly recommend listening to podcast or audio books to anyone who stresses about driving. It enhances both activities and I missed it during the lock down, despite being in Bangalore traffic hell.

On a lighter note this has a few side effects, you may wake up from your subconscious in the middle of driving and wonder what the hell and where the heck am I. You may also find yourself driving your family to your office on weekends.
wocanak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 12:53   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
This is so true and the main benefit is actually reduced stress in urban driving, any mileage gain is an additional bonus. I strongly recommend listening to podcast or audio books to anyone who stresses about driving. It enhances both activities and I missed it during the lock down, despite being in Bangalore traffic hell.

On a lighter note this has a few side effects, you may wake up from your subconscious in the middle of driving and wonder what the hell and where the heck am I. You may also find yourself driving your family to your office on weekends.
Yes, anything that takes the stress out is welcome. The stress related to driving is mostly because we tend to believe that we are (or should be) in control of the traffic or journey. That's why we accelerate unnecessarily or honk at anything and everything.
Other findings; Good upbeat music reduces range. Lazy telephonic conversations are slightly risky but help get more range.
Thanks to the EV I have now started choosing routes not based on time or distance but based on the stress levels involved. I don't mind spending 10% more time or traveling 20% more distance if the stress is less and I can enjoy the audiobook. 20% more distance (for a 10km journey) is like 2 extra rupees on an EV but the peace of mind is priceless.
doctorjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 13:46   #428
BHPian

May I know how the whole booking experience was for you guys? I have been waiting from April and there is actually no sign of delivery till now. I was told that a white color was available for delivery two weeks back but I back tracked because I waited for a long while already so might as well go for the color choice I gave while booking.

The MG App is absolutely rubbish when it comes to showing booking details because the vehicle image shown next to my booking for the MG ZS EV is a MG Hector. Also there is tentative delivery date etc being shown. Its just static. I tweeted and called them regarding any information or tentative dates of delivery but again nothing. The dealer says that they have not been allocated the color of my choice. Its like they cant do anything.

On the whole, my booking experience is meh because there is radio silence and I have to keep asking for updates every few days since November, because that was when I was promised delivery. Its a sellers market out there I know, but the least car companies and dealers can do is feign interest in our urge to buy their vehicle. God Speed
Old 22nd December 2022, 12:21   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZhivago View Post
May I know how the whole booking experience was for you guys? I have been waiting from April and there is actually no sign of delivery till now. I was told that a white color was available for delivery two weeks back but I back tracked because I waited for a long while already so might as well go for the color choice I gave while booking.

The MG App is absolutely rubbish when it comes to showing booking details because the vehicle image shown next to my booking for the MG ZS EV is a MG Hector. Also there is tentative delivery date etc being shown. Its just static. I tweeted and called them regarding any information or tentative dates of delivery but again nothing. The dealer says that they have not been allocated the color of my choice. Its like they cant do anything.

On the whole, my booking experience is meh because there is radio silence and I have to keep asking for updates every few days since November, because that was when I was promised delivery. Its a sellers market out there I know, but the least car companies and dealers can do is feign interest in our urge to buy their vehicle. God Speed
I booked in Oct 2021 and got my car delivered in Aug 2022. However my original booking was for the Red 2021 Excite and in July I changed the booking to the 2022 Exclusive because the dealer was unable to give me any information regarding my delivery. I only changed my booking because they promised delivery within a month.

The dealers were unable to give any sort of delivery date commitments and kept using the semiconductor shortage excuse which seemed reasonable at that time.

If you can wait, I'd recommend you do because the car is awesome and was well worth the wait.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 16:33   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
I booked in Oct 2021 and got my car delivered in Aug 2022. However my original booking was for the Red 2021 Excite and in July I changed the booking to the 2022 Exclusive because the dealer was unable to give me any information regarding my delivery. I only changed my booking because they promised delivery within a month.

The dealers were unable to give any sort of delivery date commitments and kept using the semiconductor shortage excuse which seemed reasonable at that time.

If you can wait, I'd recommend you do because the car is awesome and was well worth the wait.
I booked the Exclusive variant in April but I was like seeing a good number of cars being delivered post August but I was not getting one and I patiently waited and I was not even bothering the sales person, who changed mid way to another dealership. Finally a few days back I talked with an auto journalist who is like a close friend and that set the ball rolling wherein I was told that there is just a 2 month waiting period now and I should have gotten my vehicle long back and they have arranged a Black vehicle for me. I cancelled my previous booking and made a new booking today for the Black, exclusive variant. I know the Excite has like a huge backlog and its being given to fleet operators in white.

I have a doubt, hope you or someone else can answer. I wanted the Silver color for this vehicle because its a light color hence less heat absorption. But I am not able to get it without waiting for 2 more months hence getting the Black. Is the black really a heat magnet? I have a Black Honda Accord but I dont see an issue with its cooling and I am hearing about this only after reading up about EVs and color choices. I could have gotten a white but its too generic. Also I have heard that the liner for the panoramic sun roof is pretty thin. Any workaround or hacks for that? God Speed
Old 22nd December 2022, 21:35   #431
BHPian

My Zs Excite has completed 1000 kms inspection and I was told that they have done a sw update.
Some times the rear view camera do not activate on shifting to reverse. Already there is a lag of 2-3 seconds otherwise also,but some times it never gets activated and i have to manually activate by pressing the button in infotainment screen. Any suggestions/opinions?
das_ren_auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 08:59   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZhivago View Post
I have a doubt, hope you or someone else can answer. I wanted the Silver color for this vehicle because its a light color hence less heat absorption. But I am not able to get it without waiting for 2 more months hence getting the Black. Is the black really a heat magnet? I have a Black Honda Accord but I dont see an issue with its cooling and I am hearing about this only after reading up about EVs and color choices. I could have gotten a white but its too generic. Also I have heard that the liner for the panoramic sun roof is pretty thin. Any workaround or hacks for that? God Speed
I have the "generic" white and yes it is substantially cooler than my brother's black Verna when both are parked in the sun.

However the air conditioner in the ZS EV is excellent and we have never found it wanting unless in Eco mode where the air conditioner becomes almost obsolete.

The liner of the sun roof is really thin and you can see the sun through it, I don't know of any hacks yet, but since Summer hasn't come around yet it hasn't bothered us.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 10:40   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
I have the "generic" white and yes it is substantially cooler than my brother's black Verna when both are parked in the sun.

However the air conditioner in the ZS EV is excellent and we have never found it wanting unless in Eco mode where the air conditioner becomes almost obsolete.

The liner of the sun roof is really thin and you can see the sun through it, I don't know of any hacks yet, but since Summer hasn't come around yet it hasn't bothered us.
I loved the white at first but my main issue with the white and the black is that they get attention and they stand out. I dont like the vehicle I drive to stand out and I get nervous when people look at my vehicle to be honest. So yeah, many white ones started appearing but still they look good and I too look at them even though there are many here. Thats what I meant by generic, not taking away the cool factor. The Silver color just blends in and doesnt stand out but alas I am not able to get that color.

Coming to the AC part, when I took the test drive I had used the eco mode and AC and since it wasnt too sunny that day it felt okay but I hear its useless on a normal day. I am glad to hear first hand from you that the AC is good.Thank you. God Speed
DrZhivago is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 13:22   #434
BHPian

Any idea on the price increase for the ZS EV from Jan 1, 2023?
Old 26th December 2022, 14:36   #435
BHPian

I am told that the vehicle I booked will be reaching the dealer in a few days. I have the PDI document of TeamBHP but I wanted to know if there is anything specific I should look out for when I get the ZS EV. Any suggestions/pointers borne out of your experience when doing your PDI would be really helpful. God Speed

Most Viewed