Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2022, 22:50   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why a cheap & simple 15A plug is just fine for home-charging your Electric Car

Good advice and info on the requirements. In fact I had requested the same wiring info in another thread to future proof and install charging infrastructure in my garage anyways since I was redoing the wiring anyways.

Dumb question but how do I find out my sanctioned load ? I don't see it anywhere on my electricity bill
Old 18th April 2022, 01:38   #32
BHPian

Re: Why a cheap & simple 15A plug is just fine for home-charging your Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Dumb question but how do I find out my sanctioned load ? I don't see it anywhere on my electricity bill
It has to be on your electricity bill as some charges are calculated on the basis of sanctioned load.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 09:53   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post

It will be on the Electricity bill.

For ex, the electricity bills in Karnataka look something like shown in the link below

https://medium.com/@solarify/how-sol...1-dee1e5d163d6
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 21:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

I actually checked one recent and one older bill. Both don't mention sanctioned load nor is anything visible in the unit calculation system. Only thing mentioned is 3 phase connection
Old 19th April 2022, 03:45   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYP View Post
Seems like a no brainer. However, an exposed, live 15A socket on the basement:

1. It's a fire hazard (Even with proper grounding these cheap sockets melt or smoke, imagine this on continuous load throughout the year)
2. Dangerous in a Naughty kids rampant society
3. Electricity theft (You've just given a free electricity pass to anyone who has access to basement)
4. Water hazard
For 1 & 4: Using quality cables and socket switch combo solves it. There are fireproof options available.

For 2 & 3: A secondary switch within the house solves the problem. However during nightlong charging if someone disconnects the car plug and steals electricity using substitute plug/bare wires, it could be a bit tricky. Even then basic circuits can be build to overcome this (a simple disconnect alarm).
Sumedik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 11:07   #36
RYP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumedik View Post
For 1 & 4: Using quality cables and socket switch combo solves it. There are fireproof options available.

For 2 & 3: A secondary switch within the house solves the problem. However during nightlong charging if someone disconnects the car plug and steals electricity using substitute plug/bare wires, it could be a bit tricky. Even then basic circuits can be build to overcome this (a simple disconnect alarm).
Yes these will solve the issue to some extent but also defeats the purpose of the extreme simplicity of this DIY. Atleast for me this is the equivalent of stocking petrol in jerry cans and filling up the car tank in home basement whenever necessary, yes simple but what about the risks? There's a proper & safe way to do the re-fueling rite? Similarly if you buy an EV install a proper charging setup, and don't let the risk probability work against you. As an user posted above, the TATA's solution seems bloody brilliant
Old 23rd April 2022, 17:50   #37
BHPian

I have been looking around on the charging maps. I found out there are hundreds og free chargers around the country.

Within a 40 km radius from my place there are at least 100 of them. The councils provide these as a service in towns where the density of EVs are low.

These chargers range from the 2-pin household plug(Shucko) to the Type 2, 3,6kWh to 22kWh chargers. Most of them being from 7,4kWh to 22kWh.

I have seen a few chargers that cost a symbolic sum of 1 euro an hour. These are normally 3,6 and 7,4 kWh chargers.

I have checked and I see about half of them are occupied at nights and in the weekends.

Why a cheap & simple 15A plug is just fine for home-charging your Electric Car-7c73cd36c39d480c9a9303d52fab93dd.png

Why a cheap & simple 15A plug is just fine for home-charging your Electric Car-86e57e5ac6a7425ba0c1ec847fbdd556.png
Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 20:01   #38

Separate meter is actually the better way to go in cities like Mumbai and Delhi, where the cost per unit for EV charging is significantly lower than normal power.

For instance, in Mumbai, the EV meter runs at Rs 6/unit, while the normal household meter runs at Rs 14.8/unit - this is Tata Power.

Not only that, it also helps keep a nice separate tab on your EV running costs, and gives you the opportunity for a big smile every month when you pay a few hundred bucks vs shelling out thousands for petrol or diesel multiple times a month!!
Pippoosh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 20:25   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Separate meters will just make it easier for the DISCOMs to keep raising EV electricity rates in the future for better revenue without affecting household consumers in the time of the future when EVs are commonplace and ICE cars are on their way out. With a separate meter, there is no way the consumer can net-meter their way out of this greed surcharge.
+1.

Incredible foresight! Once EVs go mainstream, electricity via this meter will no longer remain cheap

It has to remain cheap for now so that people adopt it willingly.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 05:21   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
OT, but how does the charger figure out that the prices wouldn't fall any further on that particular day? Or do you have fixed rates for timeslots and it chooses the cheapest time?
My previous answer to your question was wrong. I found out today that the charger is only set to eco mode and it will start charging when prices are lowest for the day. I can override this feature to start charging immediatly.

At 20:00 this evening I connected the charger and had only to set it to eco mode and I saw in the app that charging will start at 03:00.

There must be some kind of wireless connection to the electricity board. It has wifi and 4G.
Old 25th April 2022, 23:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

I have a Nexon EV. I got the Ziptron box installed at my new house as I was scheduled to shift soon. However due to some delays I had to charge the car at my current house. First few days I used an extension cable with a 16A socket and a MCB instead of the switch. Plugged that in to the socket for the clothes dryer (as its not used at night). Later on I got an electrician to install a wall mounted socket with MCB. Has been working fine so far.
For Nexon owners this is the only option as the on board charger is 3 KW. So no point buying the 7 KW Level 2 EVSE.
Old 26th April 2022, 02:57   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
For Nexon owners this is the only option as the on board charger is 3 KW. So no point buying the 7 KW Level 2 EVSE.
This should ample overnight charge since the battery is ony at 30,2 kWh. This should take about 8 hours with the battery at 20%.
My battery is at 67kWh and have a 7,2 kwh onboard charger and takes about the same time as your car. In extreme heat keep your battery charged at 80% if the car will be parked for days.
When driving away from familiar places, it is important to charge when you can and not when you must.
At work I drive to a fast charger when I drop to 20%.
Old 30th May 2022, 01:46   #43
BHPian

My cheapest EV charge ever.

Yesterday I charged my car with the cheapest electricity ever. I charged
the battery and the price came to a grand total of 0,07 euro cents for 36kWh.
That should be in rupees, 5,91 INR. Just some rain lowered the price.

Last edited by Indian2003 : 30th May 2022 at 01:48.
Old 30th May 2022, 07:28   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYP View Post
Electricity theft (You've just given a free electricity pass to anyone who has access to basement)
I am so tired of hearing this. Why would anyone "steal electricity"? What appliance would a person take all the way to the basement to plug in? All of the the charging points in our building are fully open. We have never had such worries. In fact currently I am abroad for a few months and I would have no way of knowing if someone were to use my plug point. However, this is not a worry at all. Either we have extremely paranoid people or extremely dishonest people for this to even occur to anyone. Other reasons such as kids accessing it are valid. So I have installed my plug at a height of about 6 feet where a child is unlikely to touch it.
Lobogris is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 20:03   #45
BHPian

I was contemplating to buy an MG ZS EV and hence upgraded the load of my home to 10kw 3 phase. But ended up with original Nexon EV. Right now i am using only a 15 Amp plug but i plan to buy a bigger EV in the future like an Audi Etron or BMW i4 so the upgraded load will be useful. In my dad's office the sanctioned load is much higher and i can install even a 100kw fast charger there in the future.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks