Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2022, 14:21   #46
BHPian

Re: Why a cheap & simple 15A plug is just fine for home-charging your Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondatoyotafan View Post
Audi Etron or BMW i4 so the upgraded load will be useful. In my dad's office the sanctioned load is much higher and i can install even a 100kw fast charger there in the future.
You will still get only 7,4 kWh max from 230V. Both the Audi and the BMW have the 11kWh onboard chargers.
To be able to charge over 7,4kWh you will need to have the 400V system at home.
Old 31st May 2022, 14:46   #47
Team-BHP Support

Re: Why a cheap & simple 15A plug is just fine for home-charging your Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
You will still get only 7,4 kWh max from 230V. Both the Audi and the BMW have the 11kWh onboard chargers.
BMW will give a home charger which will do 11 kW on 3 phase which is very common in India. Regarding super chargers, I am not sure how will someone buy as BMW maynot give these outside their dealerships. Maybe we have to ask OEM, but, for most practical use case scenarios, 8,5 or 11 kW should be enough at home.

Last edited by Turbanator : 31st May 2022 at 14:48.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 19:54   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
You can get a 32 amps 3 phase outlet in India which can give you 11kw. For the fast charger one can go with OEM delta. One of my friend has taken it for his factory. But i know it is an overkill as one should not fast charge often
Old 3rd September 2022, 09:50   #49

Great thread, 15 amp sockets make sense for home charging.

However one things that’s putting me off is managing with 15A sockets on long drives through slightly remote areas in Utrakhand and Himachal (6-8 times a year). Hotels / homestays are okay letting you use the plug, but you need to get an extension cable. Now the problem is reliable weatherproof / rain proof extension so that the ev can be charged. Any suggestions on this ?
Old 15th September 2022, 10:50   #50
BHPian

A good friend of mine bought a Nexon Prime EV last week. Had the Ziptron home charger along with CB's installed at his apartment complex parking.

Yesterday, his Charger died. Blew his Point. Back at TaMo dealer.
Old 22nd September 2022, 17:09   #51

Awaiting ABB 22KW AC Fast Charger to be installed at Madhuvanam Phase 2, Kanha Shanti Vanam. The product was delivered yesterday along with 4 Pole RCBO from L&T by LionCharge team who is teamed up with Mody BYD Hyderabad and they also provide turnkey solutions including white label options at an optimal cost to customers apart from having their own network of charging points in Telangana, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh. Since it was raining here yesterday they have decided to return tomorrow morning to finish the job.
Old 26th September 2022, 04:43   #52
BHPian

Looks like other posters have already proved the OP's point but here is my experience.

I live in the US and I have a 80 mile (approx. 130km) round-trip commute every day from Monday through Thursday. My Kia Niro EV has a range of approx 270 miles (450km). This being the USA, we have to contend with 120v charging. So, my factory supplied Level-1 charger gives me about 50 miles (80 kms) over 12 hours of charging (7pm - 7am).

Here is how my commute works. I start my Monday morning with 450kms. In the evening, after my commute, I have 320 kms (450 - 130) available. Tuesday morning, after charging, I have added 80 kms overnight, so I have 400 kms of charge available.

In effect, taking overnight charging into account, I am losing only 50 kms (450 - 400) of charge every day. As of Friday morning, I have 200 kms of charge still available using my "free" trickle charger.

That said, I have now installed a 50A, 240v charger. Thanks to federal and state initiatives that made it practically free. It takes care of the headache of not having to remember to charge every night. Because, if you don't remember to charge, you have a Brick.

TL;DR - Makes sense to stay with the factory supplied "free" charge because most people's cars are parked probably 20hours a day.
Ford_Prefect is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 07:48   #53
BHPian

Very good thread, and kind of reinforces the use case of slow chargers, and is the way to go. As I am in the early stage of EV research, one question that comes to my mind is how to secure the charger during overnight charging.

In Delhi, petty thefts are not uncommon. Just think about the use case of overnight charging in a semi covered parking. What's the way to prevent a petty thief to hop over the fence, remove the charger and walk away? What are guys who have such risks doing?

We keep on hearing about thefts of small items like car battery, bicycles, valuables being stolen in the neighbourhood once in a while.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 26th September 2022 at 07:52.
Old 26th September 2022, 09:53   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Very good thread, and kind of reinforces the use case of slow chargers, and is the way to go. As I am in the early stage of EV research, one question that comes to my mind is how to secure the charger during overnight charging.

In Delhi, petty thefts are not uncommon. Just think about the use case of overnight charging in a semi covered parking. What's the way to prevent a petty thief to hop over the fence, remove the charger and walk away? What are guys who have such risks doing?

We keep on hearing about thefts of small items like car battery, bicycles, valuables being stolen in the neighbourhood once in a while.
The charger socket is locked on the car end when the car is locked. It cannot be removed unless broken. The other end is the wall socket which can be removed, but is of no use if the plug at the car end is non-removable unless the car is unlocked.
This is the case with MG, not sure if it is the same with other EV's.

Last edited by tharian : 26th September 2022 at 09:57.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 13:57   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I love the simplicity, convenience & cost-effectiveness of the 15A charger. The Nexon EV Max will go from 20 - 100% in 12 hours, which is perfectly fine for me. Simply because my cars are parked overnight for 12+ hours on any normal day, as is the same for most car owners I guess.

And who would need an 80% top up every night anyway?! More like once a week.

Why a cheap & simple 15A plug is just fine for home-charging your Electric Car-20221016-10.39.57.jpg

Why a cheap & simple 15A plug is just fine for home-charging your Electric Car-20221016-10.42.36.jpg
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 08:00   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I love the simplicity, convenience & cost-effectiveness of the 15A charger. The Nexon EV Max will go from 20 - 100% in 12 hours, which is perfectly fine for me. Simply because my cars are parked overnight for 12+ hours on any normal day, as is the same for most car owners I guess.
Sir is there an issue if the car is plugged in daily overnight to gain around 30% charge?That is from 50 to 80 percent daily.
Old 22nd October 2022, 09:13   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchit223 View Post
However one things that’s putting me off is managing with 15A sockets on long drives. Now the problem is reliable weatherproof / rain proof extension so that the ev can be charged. Any suggestions on this ?
It would be best if you made your Extension lead, get a 3-core cable from any of the reputed manufacturers like Havells/ Finolex with at least 2,5 sqm core. At one end, fix a 15 Amp good quality plug and at the other socket and switch using a junction box with fusebox. Any good electric shop will be able to do it for you. I will prefer this setup over any ready-made as the quality of cables/ plugs on most ready ones is not up to the mark.

Whenever travelling, plug this into the 15 Amp socket at the hotel. Don't miss to add a Fuse in your extension setup. In case of any overload/ fault, it will ensure that the hotel/ your host's circuit is not affected.

Also, for other members who have installed or are installing a 15Amp plug for charging, it's critical to get a separate circuit breaker near the plug and, in case of outdoor definitely with a dedicated ELCB (earth leakage circuit breaker).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I won't recommend the setup, definitely not for overnight (unattended). There should be a place above the ground to place temporary charger, under cover (what if it starts rain in the night?) and with a separate MCB/ ELCB. This is because there are chances of electrocution in rain or water seepage. A bad plug in the open may not do much harm but a bad connection in the open under heavy load can create a havoc.

Also, we should ensure that earthing of the house is good and checked after a couple of years, especially for all EV households. It will be a good idea if we get separate earth only for EV charging. Some of the manufacturers like BMW (ABB) insist on this.

This is from today's news

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/hyde...ndtv_topscroll

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd October 2022 at 10:05. Reason: minor edit.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 20:08   #58
BHPian

A new scenario has cropped up in my apartment complex.

One gentleman wants to install a fast charger in the basement parking routing the cables from his home or his BESCOM meter (which is in the basement).

Hearing all the stories of EVs catching fire while charging, everyone is opposing. Particularly as there are other petrol/ diesel vehicles parked close to this guy's parking. The fear is that if anything goes wrong, all fossil fuel vehicles could catch fire and maybe endanger the building itself.

P.S. - Our apartment has multiple slow chargers installed at the entrance. But this one smart alec insists he wants to have a fast charger. People asked him to get it installed outside, and he does not agree to it saying I don't want to park my car outside while it is charging.

Though I understand the guy's predicament, I don't support his insistence and I'm not sure if we should be taking such a huge risk by allowing charging in the basement.

Would like to hear views from the knowledgeable folks here.
Old 3rd November 2022, 21:59   #59
BHPian

I recently accompanied a friend to pick up his new Tata Nexon XZ+.

During the demonstration and paperwork, the executive mentioned that one should NOT charge the battey via the DC fast chargers all the time, since it puts "pressure" on the battery. At most, the charging mode should alternate between the fast charger and the normal charger. Basically, he was hinting at using the normal charger as much as possible and use fast charging only for emergencies/ top-ups during sporadic inter-city trips.

I'm still not sure what to make of this "pressure", but if it truly affects battery performance in the long run, then charging via the regular 15A makes sense.

Last edited by sidpunjabi : 3rd November 2022 at 22:02.
Old 3rd November 2022, 22:31   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
Hearing all the stories of EVs catching fire while charging, everyone is opposing. Particularly as there are other petrol/ diesel vehicles parked close to this guy's parking. The fear is that if anything goes wrong, all fossil fuel vehicles could catch fire and maybe endanger the building itself.

Would like to hear views from the knowledgeable folks here.
No smoke sensors or fire suppression systems installed in basement?

If the society is that paranoid, why not allot him a corner parking somewhere where there is parking just on one side of the car. Additionally, install a CCTV there to check whether the charger works fine or not.

Nothing like endangering the building until the car explodes.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks