Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2022, 10:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tesla to stop offering home chargers as standard on its cars; Will be sold separately

Tesla will stop offering charging equipment as standard with its vehicles. Going forward, customers of Tesla will either have to purchase the home-charging equipment separately or make use of the brand's supercharging network.

Tesla to stop offering home chargers as standard on its cars; Will be sold separately-teslahomecharger.jpg

Tesla CEO, Elon Musk took to Twitter to announce the same, while blaming "low usage statistics" as the reason for its discontinuation.

Every electric vehicle produced until 2022 has been offered with a home-charging set as part of its standard equipment. Until recently, Tesla cars came with dual-voltage portable (mobile) chargers. However, the American EV maker has now discontinued the practice, forcing customers to make use of its public charging network or pay extra for a home charger.

Tesla has now reduced the prices of its home-charging station by US$75. The Level 2 home charger from Tesla is now available for US$ 400, while the basic Level 1 charging unit is offered at US$ 275.

Source: Electrek

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 14:04   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tesla to stop offering home chargers as standard on its cars; Will be sold separately

Tesla shouldn't have followed Apple here . It's just wrong on so many levels. One, someone is buying a premium car and you are making him / her spend money separately for something as essential? What next? Not giving wipers with the car? Tesla themselves encourage home charging and one cannot 100% rely on public chargers. Plus, what will you do in an emergency if you're low on battery juice, don't have a public charger nearby and just a plain old 15A plug in front of you?

Second, IMHO, such nickel & diming takes a bit of sheen away from the brand. If someone like Nissan did this, sure. But a premium brand like Tesla? Not cool.

No price cut means this is an outright profit enhancing move. I just hope other car manufacturers don't follow blindly. Braindead Samsung didn't give me a charger for my Flip 3 phone...a device that cost me 90 grand! They wouldn't have had the guts to do this if Apple hadn't set a precedent.
GTO is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 14:09   #3
BHPian

Re: Tesla to stop offering home chargers as standard on its cars; Will be sold separately

Apple sets the trend, memes come up and then everyone else follows.

Definitely a penny wise move by Tesla, but I'm sure other EV manufacturers will also follow soon enough. Anything to make a $ here and a $ there. Most people spending that amount on a Tesla wouldn't bother adding another $300 on top as it hardly means a $ or two on the EMI.
krish3 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 09:23   #4
BHPian

This is one part of the electric car revolution I absolutely detest. Tesla was already talking about making their USP, self driving tech pay per use. Now this. What next?

OT: I was into gaming back in college. Due to work etc, took a long hiatus. Now these DLC stuff is ruining my memories.
mac187 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 09:36   #5
Team-BHP Support

A wrong move and I don’t think statistics favour supercharging. My son has a model 3 and he will use the Tesla network only when travelling long distances. Else, it’s always a home charger.

Am afraid, other companies may take a cue and everyone else follow (like how Samsung did after Apple)

Funnily, their website still continues to mention-

The most convenient place to charge your Tesla is at home, overnight. Plug in when you get home and let your car charge while you sleep. You no longer need to take trips to the pump with a gas-powered vehicle, and you can utilize low overnight utility pricing during off-peak hours, saving both time and money.

https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging
Turbanator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 10:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Funnily, their website still continues to mention-

The most convenient place to charge your Tesla is at home, overnight. Plug in when you get home and let your car charge while you sleep. You no longer need to take trips to the pump with a gas-powered vehicle, and you can utilize low overnight utility pricing during off-peak hours, saving both time and money.

https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging
Technically, they are right, just that you have to purchase the charger
arvind71181 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 10:23   #7
BHPian

To quote Benjamin Disraeli 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.'. These companies are too ashamed to say 'we are ripping you off, after you pay for our premium product', and instead try to make it sound as if they are doing a favour to the customer and sometimes even have the audacity to make it sound magnanimous by saying it's for mother earth.
Tesla is just trying to start a new stream of revenue by making their cars a subscription based product like many of the software based companies. I wouldn't be too surprised if they totally stop selling home chargers, forcing owners to their public charging network.
Ritkon is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 15:26   #8
KGS
BHPian

If low usage was the problem for Elon , he should make charger a free but optional accessory. Only the buyers who are interested in home charging would take it. Problem solved.

Instead it is a fashion now a days to cut every corner for saving some $ and show it as if they are doing something extraordinary for public and mother nature. Such practices should be banned immediately by respective authorities.

I was planning to lease a Tesla from my company but looking at such low level antics from Elon, I would rather stay away from it.
Old 19th April 2022, 18:48   #9
BHPian

Apple's excuse was environment friendly and Elon's excuse is low usage. If I'm not wrong, Tesla has been manufacturing cars for less than a decade and the adoption to electric vehicle is obviously slow all over the world. There is a long way to go before they become mainstream. Only after launch of Tesla that Americans have started to adopt EVs seriously. Before that Prius was their go to car to show themselves environment friendly. Either way how much data have they managed to gather to claim that the usage is low. Why can't they just increase the price of the car instead of giving lame excuse to cut off integral accessories. At least it will keep their image credible.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 19:48   #10
BHPian

I think we can expect this to become the norm internationally soon, as companies will follow Tesla and look at the extra profits this will generate. A few years back, I used to love Tesla and look at all the Youtube videos showing off the cool tech it had, but in recent times, I just think of it as just another startup which makes too many claims but hardly ever delivers on them and wants every last nickel from our pockets.

But I don't think it will happen in Indian EVs because of the high expectations we usually have from big ticket purchases (I may be wrong here and it just might become a compulsory accessory).

Off topic, It's my first post on team-bhp. Thank you mods for the quick approval.
learning_cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 22:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tesla themselves encourage home charging and one cannot 100% rely on public chargers. Plus, what will you do in an emergency if you're low on battery juice, don't have a public charger nearby and just a plain old 15A plug in front of you?
There are two types of low speed charging options in a Tesla native kit:

1. Wall connector
- 1500$
- Charging speed, upto 44 MPH

2. Mobile connector
- Free of cost, provided during vehicle purchase
- Charging speed, upto 3 MPH

Tesla stopped providing free mobile connector.
In my opinion, it is a right move,
I have personally never used Tesla mobile connector.

Home charging?
Majority of owners install Wall connector for day to day usage.
Mobile connector doesn't make sense for office commuters.

Emergencies?
Mobile connector is not practical either, 3 MPH is pretty slow.
Flat bed is the most preferred option during zero range scenarios.
Towing to a nearest Supercharger is the most practical and efficient approach.
gvarma9989 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 22:56   #12
BHPian

This is pure greed. They see that Apple has been successful with their omission of charger in the box and now trying to copy the same.

The worst part is that most of the time the Tesla charging adaptors are not in stock (in US). Imagine buying a car and getting home and your stuck waiting for a way to to charge it.

They had taken out the level 2 charging adaptor almost 2 years back from the Y and 3. They are at record level profits now and trying to squeeze out the most while the going is good.

I have owned the Model Y for past 1 year and have only used the super charger on long trips, its been on level 2 home charging almost always.

The worst thing is that Tesla is the 'Apple' of electric automotive world and I feel most of the others will slowly start following this trend in the coming years.
ariendj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 01:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvarma9989 View Post
There are two types of low speed charging options in a Tesla native kit....

1. Wall connector
- 1500$
- Charging speed, upto 44 MPH

2. Mobile connector
- Charging speed, upto 3 MPH
I came into this thread fully intent of satisfying my daily required dose of outrage but after reading this, it feels like Tesla may not be in the wrong here. Or maybe the situation isn't exactly as black and white as I thought it was going to be. When you're in a zero range scenario, I'm not sure just how viable such a slow charge actually would be. As my quoted post mentioned, maybe towing really would be the next best alternative?

Introducing this removal of equipment without a minor price cut or an improvement in other equipment though, that definitely feels icky.
Old 20th April 2022, 03:44   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mobile connector
- Charging speed, upto 3 MPH Tesla stopped providing free mobile connector.
In my opinion, it is a right move, I have personally never used Tesla mobile connector.
Home charging? Majority of owners install Wall connector for day to day usage.
Mobile connector doesn't make sense for office commuters.
Wrong, You can use the portable charger with a 240V plug -NEMA 14-50 and get around 30 miles of range per hour at home.

From Tesla -

if you don't want to install a Wall Connector, you can purchase a Mobile Connector bundle and plug into a standard three-prong, 120 volt outlet. A 120 volt outlet will supply 2 to 3 miles of range per hour charged. If you charge overnight and drive less than 30 to 40 miles per day, this option should meet your typical charging needs.

You can also purchase an adapter bundle and charge with other outlet types, including a 240 volt outlet. Commonly used in homes to power larger appliances, a 240 volt outlet will supply up to 30 miles of range per hour charged.

https://www.tesla.com/support/charging

Quote:
Emergencies?
Mobile connector is not practical either, 3 MPH is pretty slow.
Flat bed is the most preferred option during zero range scenarios.
Towing to a nearest Supercharger is the most practical and efficient approach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtottuu View Post
I When you're in a zero range scenario, I'm not sure just how viable such a slow charge actually would be. As my quoted post mentioned, maybe towing really would be the next best alternative?
I don’t think getting a flatbed is affordable or workable. Even at slow speeds, you can get a charge to cover 20-30 miles and reach the network. Whenever we go out, we always put one in the car.

Let’s accept the fact that range anxiety with EVs is going to stay for a while. Though the network is improving very fast, especially in US/ Canada there will be many roads where EVs are still a No.

Since they have now removed this free option, I reckon, they will probably come up with a fast portable charger

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th April 2022 at 04:11. Reason: minor correction
Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 15:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Tesla stopped providing free mobile connector.
In my opinion, it is a right move,
I have personally never used Tesla mobile connector.
IMHO, It is a wrong move by Tesla. I use my mobile connector almost everyday I am at office. I documented it here (Why a cheap & simple 15A plug is just fine for home-charging your Electric Car). It helps me even skip charging at home some days and also helps me top up if I have some meetings outside office, where I have to drive to. And most of the times during our vacation stays in BnBs, Tesla's mobile connector was/is the one and only option.

According to Teslascope, which is a data analytics tool used by a lot of Tesla users, the mobile connector is used very extensively. They reported from their statistics it is about 61% of times their users have used the mobile connector to charge. I don't know why Tesla took such a nasty move.

Here is the tweet from Teslascope:
Tesla to stop offering home chargers as standard on its cars; Will be sold separately-screenshot-20220420-113430.png

Link

The <invalid> and MCSingleWireCAN represent the charge sessions done via Tesla mobile connector.

From my personal usage too, among the top charging locations, the second and third most common is at my work which is using a mobile connector.

Name:  Screenshot from 20220420 115413.png
Views: 150
Size:  28.1 KB

Last edited by carthick1000 : 20th April 2022 at 15:25.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks