Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2022, 23:12   #151
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Spent some time with nexon ev max at the tata dealership came back with mixed feelings top variant will be ₹ 20 lakh plus on road ,test drive wasn’t available as the td car was under transit.

Dangling wiring under the floor is just not ideal.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-05f0ee75fc0740e49b5cfb552e4ef630.jpeg  

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-9c74e8de44ef433d8565637bea23143d.jpeg  

XRoader_001 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 23:36   #152
BHPian

Was back to showroom again today along with my cousins to check the seating comfort of Nexon EV Max in detail and we were all left very disappointed with Tata Motors choice of increasing the floor pan height making the EV max seating quite inconvenient.

The driver seat somehow feels it lacks the depth as compared to regular EV. My thighs have lesser support and it's not just because of elevated floor pan but the seat seems to be shorter and driving position quite unpleasant.

The rear seats are a different story all together. With the driver and passenger seat almost pushed back, the rear seats offer nil comfort. Knees raise quite high and under thigh support is almost absent.

I know I will be missing out of lot of features in the EV over the EV Max but I have decided to move my booking back to Nexon EV from EV Max now.

I still retained my MG ZS EV booking as well, the showroom initially said they will deliver my vehicle by end of May 2022 but now says that the deliveries slowed down quite a lot and I can expect my car only in July 2022. Shall wait for the Excite version of ZS EV is out as well and then decide if I have to go for Nexon EV or the ZS EV.

For me this is the order

VFM
1. Nexon EV Max
2. Nexon EV
3. ZS EV

Driver seat comfort
1. ZS EV
2. Nexon EV
3. Nexon EV Max

Passenger seat comfort
1. Nexon EV
2. ZS EV
3. Nexon EV Max

Reliability and support
1. ZS EV
2. Nexon EV and Nexon EV Max
raghupro is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 00:32   #153
BHPian

I went to the showroom today to see the demo car. The test drive car will be available from next week only.

I think i went in with low expectations and hence wasn't disappointed with what i saw.

I felt the front seats are fine. The rear seat though is near unusable for people like me (6ft+) - while the legroom is ok for a compact SUV, the position is very "legs up". I'm virtually sitting only on my bottom with no support for thighs at all.

However there is good headroom even at my height. I'm thinking that using a cushion to raise the height a bit when I'm seated might do the trick. When i test drive the car, will check that out.

My fears about slow switching between drive modes were misplaced. You can switch directly from P to D and vice versa. There's a small lag but it didn't feel very annoying.

Like someone else pointed out, the switch for the seat cooling function looks and feels cheap. However, it's the same as what the Harrier offers. So I guess that's the best Tata can offer right now.

With cup holders being deleted storage in front is a bit of an issue. There aren't enough cubbyholes now. If you connect your phone to the system, there's not a convenient place to rest the phone . Also I'm unsure if the slim looking door pockets can accommodate a 1L bottle.

I'm retaining both, my ZS and EV Max bookings. If Hyundai brings in the PHEV Tuscon, might book that too.

Last edited by qaqa : 29th May 2022 at 00:39.
qaqa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 07:14   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvenka View Post
Thanks, when did you book the car ? I have booked mine online (on the launch day) selected Key Motors and yet to hear back on my priority number or possible delivery date.
I had made a booking on March 23rd 2022. They are trying to provide cars for those who had made booking in Nov 2021 right now during the first week of June. When I asked them about my sequence in the queue around 20th of the month, they had mentioned i was around 12. On Friday 27th May, when they sent the proforma invoice, I am getting lucky as that colour was not opted by many and their dealership was assigned one.
rkmunjuluri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 14:33   #155
BHPian

Just now finished the test drive of nexon ev max. Both me and my wife liked it and below are few pros and cons from my point of view.
Explored Eco mode at level 2 regeneration and driven may be a km with city mode and regen at level 1.

PROS
1. suspension felt better than nexon ev. May be added weight is helping in this? do not know.
2. ventilation seats are very nice, we switched off the AC for 50% of the drive and kept the ventilation in level 2 and it was very pleasing and comfortable.
3. AC was powerful and we switched it off as the weather was very pleasant and 19 c inside the car was too much for us to take.
4. Autohold is a bliss and it doesn't crawl/roll, once you remove the leg from brake after getting the car to standstill. Was very helpful in stop and go traffic on outer ring road.
5. Though the floor height is increased, the seat reclined positions in both front and rear helps with comfortable seating posture.
6. 4 Disc brakes are very powerful, you will need some time to adjust to it.
7. Adjustable regen modes are bliss and it was almost one pedal drive because of this except for spots where the traffic was stand still.
8. Auto IRVM is good and big enough to cover entire back.

CONS
1. Ground clearance is reduced, the SA mentioned near the battery it is only 190 mm. So at the front and rear it is 205, but in the middle it is 190. But I feel that is good enough as currently I drive WagonR (10 years old) and I never scraped its bottom with only 165 mm ground clearance. (I try to avoid bad roads and never done off roading)
2. For people with motion sickness, backseat will be tricky. If they don't incline with the backrest and try to sit in upright position, they will end up having a bad day. (my wife almost puked)
3. No USB ports to charge phones in front or back. (only one port in front and I would count it as i would use it for android auto for navigation)
4. Wireless charging doesn't work well, it keeps disconnecting for my samsung S21+ (yes I had taken the phone out of casing and tried)
5. The boot floor used to cover the spare wheel is very cheap. It broke when the SA opened it to show me the spare wheel. (Tata motors for a 20 lakhs car we expect better)
6. Mileage is highly susceptible to how you drive, when I got the car for TD it was showing 161 wh/km or 6.2 kms/kwh. Translating to roughly 250 kms range. We drove in eco mode and after 22 kms of TD with only AC on for 6 kms and for rest seat ventilation on with windows open, we were able to get average of 111 wh/km or 9 kms/kwh. Translating to 360 kms of city range. So my bet is we can extract atleast 320 kms in city and 270 on highway runs, driving it like an ICE car for sure.

Pics of odometer readings.Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220530_113711.jpg

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220530_123623.jpg
rkmunjuluri is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 20:18   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRoader_001 View Post
They are not exactly dangling but secured with metal clamps as seen from your pictures.

But my concern is they are exposed, not even in a groove/tunnel and in a delicate location.

Is it possible that the service center guys may accidently put the ramp legs right under those wires and lift the car? Then these will be crushed.
fordday is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 21:32   #157
BHPian

Had a short test drive today of Max even though I already switched my booking on launch day. Primary concern was checking the seating space with everyone pointing out the raised floor. Sitting straight you definitely notice the knees up position. But it’s still not a tight fit even when I at 6 feet was driving and dad was sitting behind me who is 6 feet as well. Swapped the seat and I tried sitting behing him as well. Dad turned on the car and didn’t realise its on and turned it off again by pressing start button as there were no vibrations. He found the power more than enough in city mode and didn’t even try sports.. Coming from polo and city, which were our daily beaters the increased height is a boon to get in and out.

I drove at regen 3 with city mode for quite some time and if used properly you will only need to use the breaks if coming at a complete stop. Auto hold works as expected and is a great feature once you get used to it. I switched my color from Intensi Teal to Daytona Grey as the Teal looks very similar to my Midnight Blue A4 which gets mistaken for black all the time. Visited the dealers yard during test drive to check the XZ+ seat covers which was parked there. The car had a lot of dirt outside and it looked more black than blue which re confirmed my decision of changing color.

Forgot to take a picture but they are just like how they are in the 360 degree view on Tata website photos of which I already shared in an earlier post. The accents are grey coloured instead of blue and should match well with the Grey color outside. Hoping to get the delivery pretty soon if I go by SA’s words though they had mentioned same 16-18 weeks waiting period when I switched on the launch day.
prateekchanana is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 10:57   #158
BHPian

I finally booked Nexon EV XZ+ Lux blue in another showroom in Hyderabad as they were having vehicle ready for delivery (free stock cancelled in last minute). Will be completing the PDI tomorrow and get the vehicle in few days as loan application is under process.

After testing Nexon EV Max thrice only to be left disappointed with the seating comfort of both, rear and driver seats, I gave a test drive of Nexon EV once again last Sunday. Immediately noticed how comfortable seating was in the Nexon EV as compared to Nexon EV Max.

Of course, seating comfort is relative. I am assuming it has got to do more with me being on the healthy side than my height. I am 5’ 11” and weigh over 115 KG. I found the Nexon EV Max seating to be too much of compromise. I am blown away with the new additions in EV Max but can’t prefer them over the basic requirement of comfortable seating.

Hope to get the car home by this weekend and subsequently cancel Nexon EV Max and MG ZS EV bookings to get the refund.
raghupro is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 11:34   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghupro View Post
I finally booked Nexon EV XZ+ Lux blue in another showroom in Hyderabad as they were having vehicle ready for delivery (free stock cancelled in last minute)
Many congratulations Since it is a free-stock vehicle, do ensure that you check the VIN so as to confirm the month of manufacture; although I doubt if they will have any old vehicles in stock, given the high demand.

If intended usage is city runs then regular Nexon EV will serve you very well. Having driven the regular Nexon EV for more than a month now, I have never found it wanting in any aspect compared to the Max. Of course, some of the new features like the jazzy dial, wireless charging, air purifier, etc. are tempting but not must-have's in my opinion, and definitely not at the cost of seating comfort. The only key factor, as I see it, is the longer range - if you are okay with the 200-210 km of the regular Nexon EV, you should be good. Enjoy the relaxed and serene driving experience with your EV

Last edited by cool_dube : 31st May 2022 at 11:36.
cool_dube is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 13:19   #160
BHPian

Just to add on for anyone planning to increase the sanction load limit of the electricity line running to their home in the state of Telangana.

You need to head over to the nearest AE office of the electricity department to get the contact details of the lineman in charge of your zone. Once you discuss with your lineman, he would do a basic feasibility check to ensure your building can get the request load enhancement.

Once the check is done, you need to apply online by paying Rs. 1616 per KW increase of load to submit your application. It takes a max of 10 days post that to get the sanction load increased. Alternatively, if the in charge lineman is helpful, he can submit the application on your behalf.

This does not in any way change the cost of per unit for electricity consumed just because you increased the sanction load. You will be billed as per the category to which your meter is allocated and this again boils down to overall number of units consumed.
raghupro is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 15:34   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghupro View Post
Just to add on for anyone planning to increase the sanction load limit of the electricity line running to their home in the state of Telangana.

This does not in any way change the cost of per unit for electricity consumed just because you increased the sanction load. You will be billed as per the category to which your meter is allocated and this again boils down to overall number of units consumed.
This is really good in Telangana ie paying a one time cost for the increase in connected load. In case of Bangalore/Bescom, there is also a monthly fee per kW of connected load, so if you increase the connected load by 7 kW, it means an increase in monthly bill by around Rs 800 just as fixed charges (the rate per unit for increased usage is on top of this)

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-screenshot-20220531-3.30.59-pm.png

The case is similar to Telangana in Kerala though, you pay a one time charge to increase the connected load with no changes to fixed charges. However in Kerala, they (KSEB) might try to cause issues saying the transformer is running out of capacity and ask us to pay the cost to upgrade the transformer which doesn't make sense. Although I think this would be an issue only if you go for a connected load increase above 10 kW or something.

Last edited by varkey : 31st May 2022 at 15:36.
varkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 15:48   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRoader_001 View Post
Spent some time with nexon ev max at the tata dealership came back with mixed feelings top variant will be ₹ 20 lakh plus on road ,test drive wasn’t available as the td car was under transit.

This is what gets my goat. All that engineering and the most critical high voltage cables are left exposed and tied to the car using plastic cable ties.

This just looks like a total jugaad what someone doing aftermarket wiring would do.
Vid6639 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 09:07   #163
BHPian

My SA confirmed that the car has been allotted and shared the chassis no as well last night. Was able to confirm May 2022 manufacturing month form that. He will be sharing the invoice of the same soon. Will start with the loan process today and hoping to get the car delivered by second week.

He said he will place request of charger installation as well as they make 2/3 visits before installation to check feasibility. The installation will only happen once the dealer gets car in their yard as the charger box comes inside the car.
prateekchanana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 10:20   #164

Congratulations!!!!

When was the booking made and which model did you opt for??

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 1st June 2022 at 12:58. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 1st June 2022, 11:39   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekchanana View Post
My SA confirmed that the car has been allotted and shared the chassis no as well last night. Was able to confirm May 2022 manufacturing month form that. He will be sharing the invoice of the same soon. Will start with the loan process today and hoping to get the car delivered by second week.

He said he will place request of charger installation as well as they make 2/3 visits before installation to check feasibility. The installation will only happen once the dealer gets car in their yard as the charger box comes inside the car.
Hi
Many congratulations on your EV max. Can you specify which variant you booked and when? My SA told Iam tenth in the que at the dealership and 1st EV max is just about to be delivered in 1st week of june.
He said it'll take a month atleast for me.

Most Viewed