Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2022, 12:03   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
P.S. Ground clearance is wrongly stated. It is 190mm, 15mm lower than the standard Nexon EV!
The Nexon's brochure indicates an unladen GC of 209 mm:

Name:  Nexon.PNG
Views: 3012
Size:  60.9 KB

And the EV Max's brochure indicates 205 mm:

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-ev-max.png

Unless Tata mentioned it incorrectly during the product briefing or in the brochure.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th May 2022 at 12:05.
Gannu_1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 12:11   #17
th2
BHPian

I happen to strongly dislike the beige color. An immediate turnoff if there isn't a non-beige option for the interiors. A Nexon EV Max Dark edition is awaited!
th2 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 12:28   #18
BHPian

I read somewhere that in the non Max Nexon EV, the onboard AC charger supports the 3.3KW charger only and cannot support higher charging rates. Is that true?

Does this mean that the onboard unit for the 7kw charger is different from the 3.3KW model, which are 2 different car models available for the MAX. OR is the extra 50K for the external charger and the internal components are same for both. In which case, we can just get the lower model and procure the 7kw charger later if need be?

if the above is true, Does this also mean the existing 30kwh model of nexon ev will also support 7kw charger or is there something different on the new models internally.
Old 17th May 2022, 12:33   #19
BHPian

I just spoke to Key Motors in Bengaluru. The waiting period is apparently about 22 weeks (was hoping for lesser, as I already have a Carens top end diesel AT booking with the same waiting period).

These are the EV Max on-road prices in Bengaluru:
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-nexonevmaxbengaluruorp.jpeg
hagarthenormal is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 12:34   #20
BHPian

Great review. Thanks Aditya. Tata has created a good entry barrier and I feel they nailed it with Nexon. The customer appetite for EVs in India is improving.

On the tax benefit link shared, the bottom portion states like this

https://cleartax.in/s/section-80eeb-...ectric-vehicle

"Under the scheme, the incentives are available for 3 Wheelers, 4 Wheelers and electric 2 wheelers. The Phase-II of the scheme has started from 1 April 2019 and will be completed by 31 March 2022."

Any idea if its valid for FY 23 as well?

Also, Top speed is restricted to 140 km/h. Any insights on whether its a limitation of the EV tech/ car capability?
Old 17th May 2022, 13:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The Nexon's brochure indicates an unladen GC of 209 mm:

Attachment 2308841

And the EV Max's brochure indicates 205 mm:

Attachment 2308842

Unless Tata mentioned it incorrectly during the product briefing or in the brochure.
Confirmed GC figures are - standard Nexon EV is 205mm; Max is 190mm.

Tata's communication materials say different things in different places.
S2!!! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 13:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Great review as always, thanks guys.
Old 17th May 2022, 14:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Boot Space

Since the battery pack is placed ahead of the rear axle, the boot space is unaffected and remains identical to the regular Nexon's 350-litres. The boot is large enough to carry a family's weekend luggage. The 60:40 split rear seats can be folded down to increase cargo space.
Were you able to notice any major change in the under thigh support on the rear seat as many reviewers are saying the bigger battery pack has also raised the floor height along with lower ground clearance?
prateekchanana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 14:08   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A real world 300km range doesn't seem probable unless someone is really driving for range, based on the media reports and on speaking with others who have driven the car.
Very difficult to confirm until someone gets the car for an extended time. The best will be to either wait for feedback from owners or if someone gets hold of the media car for a couple of days. With about 30% larger capacity over the regular, it should be fair to expect at least 20-25% increase in the range (after factoring in additional weight)
Turbanator is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 14:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Aditya and Team,

A real world 300km range doesn't seem probable unless someone is really driving for range, based on the media reports and on speaking with others who have driven the car.
Below ACI review cites a range of approximately 270 kms in real world.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...lectric-424425

Question: Towards the end in the above article, it says a charging cost of Rs 196 for fast-charging upto 27%. Is that linear? That is, does that translate to approximately Rs 800 for a 100% charge, as would be needed to get the full real world range of 270 kms? If so, that's not economical at all, right? The "OpEx per km" is just about half that of a diesel car. I thought EVs offered a much more attractive "OpEx per km" than that. What am I missing?

Last edited by vharihar : 17th May 2022 at 14:26.
vharihar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 14:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I thought EVs offered a much more attractive "OpEx per km" than that. What am I missing?
I believe the underlying assumption is that EVs are charged at home where the tariffs would be lower and as set by the respective DISCOM.

In case of fast chargers set up by private companies, I would assume the charges would be different and certainly higher. Even in this case, 50% lower cost than diesel is a big saving.

I think most EV users, currently at least, have a primary usage in the city. Daily office commute, weekend shopping runs etc. is what the car is going to be put to use for. For this type of usage, EVs would be primarily charged at home (or their workplace/business) and hence would work out to be extremely economical.

With Nexon EV Max offering multi-mode regen (if I'm not wrong this is the only budget EV car currently offering such a feature?), I'm pretty sure there would be further cost savings.

My mouth is watering with this Nexon EV Max. It's just an excellent offer on paper!

Alas, for me the ability to commute at least 800km one-way is a requirement as that's the distance to my hometown. While fast charging stations are available along most of the major highways in the South, the primary issue is that even with fast charging most cars would take an hour to recharge. With 800km, having to stop twice would mean I lose at least 2-3 hours to get the car charged. More than range anxiety, I believe the inability to top up range in a few minutes is the primary issue with EVs currently. It's a nuance I hope manufacturers get a grip on. I don't mind buying a car with a 100km range as long as I can top up that range for another 100km in under 5 minutes.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 17th May 2022 at 14:44.
krishnakumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 14:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Guys, don't kill me for a noob question. What happens to the range if I get stuck in traffic for extended hours? On last 3 occasions, my Pune to Mumbai runs via expressway each way took 6+ hours for approximately 180km distance. Many patches of it were spent crawling at 4-5 kmph in a knee breaking marathon traffic.

If I start with 100% range from Pune at 6AM would I reach Borivali at 1230-1PM with continuous A/C for 180kms in this car?
amol4184 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 14:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

The Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor puts out 141 BHP & 250 Nm of torque.

Any pictures with the plastic panel removed? Am just curious how the AC and power steering (if hydraulic PwrStr) are integrated to the electric motor.
svsantosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 15:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Guys, don't kill me for a noob question. What happens to the range if I get stuck in traffic for extended hours? On last 3 occasions, my Pune to Mumbai runs via expressway each way took 6+ hours for approximately 180km distance. Many patches of it were spent crawling at 4-5 kmph in a knee breaking marathon traffic.

If I start with 100% range from Pune at 6AM would I reach Borivali at 1230-1PM with continuous A/C for 180kms in this car?
You'd end up consuming little power on EVs when not moving, unlike ICE when a stationary car has a running engine. This is precisely why EVs excel in stop go traffic.
shortbread is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 15:51   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The regular Nexon EV gives approx 180-190km range on a 10-90% charge in real world conditions when driven normally. Considering this one’s battery is 30% bigger, you can expect the range to increase proportionately. So, expect about 250 odd km without any kind of hypermiling. The extra weight of the batteries should be negated by improved efficiencies of the selectable regen.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed