Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2022, 21:14   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghavEvoX View Post

I use a Verna P AT and get a mileage of 9-10 kmpl. I pay 14k EMI for the car and 15k petrol every month. I think Nexon EV max makes a perfect sense for me considering 1 Rupee/km running costs. But the EV scooters burning frequently makes me think 10 times before making any move. I will wait for at least another 2 years before making the EV move.
The Nexon EV is currently in it's third year.

While the concern is understandable, please take into account that electric cars are water cooled while two wheelers are air cooled.

Electric two wheelers rely on rudimentary air cooling to dissipate heat, it fails beyond a certain threshold.

Car makers on the other hand are experts at heat management, don't forget standard ICE vehicles also generate a lot of heat. So just like their petrol/diesel cousins - electric 4 wheelers are also liquid cooled, hence have radiators and other related peripherals to keep the temperatures under control at all times.

A historic video on the Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
A really point on and crisp review as always

TAMO has launched the Nexon EV max at the price of 18-20 lakhs (approx Ex-showroom) . Now , i wonder where will the Tata Curvv be placed . Will we be seeing the normal range Nexon EV being discontinued ?? Will the Curvv be priced above the Nexon EV Max ??

OR some much wilder speculation

1 - TAMO will kill the Nexon and replace it with the Curvv
OR
2 - TAMO can rebrand the Curvv as the new Nexon

What are the thoughts of other Bhpians on this ?
Tata was quite clear, the intention is to place the Curvv in-between the Nexon and the Harrier. So it will co exist with the Nexon while seated a segment above. The Nexon is undoubtedly Tata Motor's strongest brand and currently India's largest selling 'SUV'.... ie. it's here to stay!

The Curvv is targeted at the segment the Creta currently dominates and Tata has zero presence. Whether the Curvv can compete with the massive popularity of the Creta is a different question altogether.

Curvv will have Petrol/Diesel ICE variants. So ideally it should look like this

Nexon (Petrol/Diesel) - approx. 8-13 lacs
Curvv (Petrol/Diesel) - GAP
Harrier (Diesel) - approx. 15-20 lacs

The electric Curvv will also sit above the Nexon EV, perhaps in a straight contest with the MG ZS.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th May 2022 at 09:16. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
shortbread is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 21:43   #47
BANNED

Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradheepsr View Post
Test drove the Nexon EV for the first time ever today!
Must say me and my better half were speechless about the car and the tech it came packed within.
We’re contemplating on selling our I20 diesel and making that switch to an EV.

Is it going to be the EV or the EV max?
The dealer promised a waiting period of atleast 3 months for both.
PS: The EV will be primarily used for city commutes and school pickups plus we have a private parking facility with provisions to install a charger.
Any sort of expert opinions welcome
I would say go for the Nexon EV based on your requirement but just for 1.5L additional, you will get additional battery and loads of tech which is essential to enjoy the vehicle, and just for that reason alone, I recommend the Nexon EV Max. In few months, it will go from secondary car to your primary car, trust me on that.

You are based in South TN and near to Kerala, there are loads of chargers in that area, you don't have to worry about charging Infra. When you spend 500rupees for 600km trip, you will have even a bigger smile on your face after enjoying the drive in car.
DarthVeda is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 21:55   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaish9925 View Post

But, unless and until the vehicle is crash-tested and gets a poor score, I don’t get the idea of having it in the Cons section.

Regards,
Vaishak Murugesan
TaMo generally loves to show off crash test ratings. Many Tata cars had their crash test ratings at launch itself.

The exception is the Harrier where likely no crash test was done since the ratings are likely to be less than stellar. Let's hope that the reason for the Nexon EV twins not being crash tested yet is not similar !

Last edited by qaqa : 17th May 2022 at 21:57.
Old 17th May 2022, 22:08   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
I would say go for the Nexon EV based on your requirement but just for 1.5L additional,.
If I am not mistaken the price difference is 3 lakhs considering the 1.5 lakh subsidy you get on Nexon EV
Old 17th May 2022, 22:21   #50

For safety reasons, TATA should also consider providing a fire extinguisher along with its Nexon EV just in case. (Class C or ABC fire extinguisher preferably)
Old 17th May 2022, 22:45   #51
Senior - BHPian

Charge curve of the Nexon EV Max.

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-smartselect_20220517224430_twitter.jpg

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220517_224238.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 23:07   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Nexon EV Max: A Driver’s Perspective Video Review.

In addition to Aditya's Review & all the Observations made by him in the Opening Post I too had the opportunity to drive the Tata Nexon EV Max & here's a Video Review I filmed;

To those who prefer text here are my thoughts for the same after spending about half a day with this car;

Performance;

The highlight is the new battery pack which is 30% larger but has 33% higher capacity than the previous pack. Not only that the power has gone up too with the horsepower number crossing 140 & the torque now @ 250 NM. Performance hits you in a typical EV fashion with an instantaneous rush. 0 - 100 km/h comes in under 9 Secs (Factory Quoted) Also the 1 Ratio Gear is lag-free & detects the throttle pedal's pressure and reacts predictably, all in all providing a seamless & smooth driving experience. As we are talking about the performance its important to appreciate that finally, Tata Motors has listened to the feedback & now this variant finally introduces all 4 Disc Brakes, which now brings us to another newly introduced feature we can talk about which is the Customisable Regen capability. The regen capabilities are very impressive and strong. The quoted range is well over 400 kms but I think a real-world range of around 300 km is achievable. The negative is that the top speed is only 140 km/h (Up by 20 km/h v/s the regular Nexon EV) which can get embarrassing however on the flip side this might be the only car where the top speed matches the Horse Power it generates

Centre of gravity;

While Driving the Nexon EV Max I found something Positively Interesting. For Example, when you drive a low slung sedan or a sports car there the centre of gravity feels extremely low. If you drive an SUV like the Fortuner the centre of gravity is high. In the Nexon EV Max irrespective of it being designed like a crossover & targeting a Mini SUV look the centre of gravity is very low, that's essentially because the battery pack is in the base of the car. So this low centre of gravity with high ground clearance & an SUV/Crossover body style makes it a unique product offering in this price range.

Ride Quality & Handling;

To understand this segment it's important to know the platform, The Nexon EV uses the modified X1 Platform to accommodate the Ziptron EV Architecture hence genetically this platform inherits a good ride & this car takes care of all the bad roads and undulations very well. The suspension is very well tuned to give the Nexon EV Max a smooth ride. Another point is that the IC engined Nexon's had a good ride but it was sort of bumpy, but the EV thanks to the battery pack being in the base gives it sort of stability with that additional weight and eliminates the bumpiness of the regular Nexon. The Tyres are MRF 215/60's but now have the EcoTread pattern to go with the EV theme. Also, the EV Max has lost about 15 mm of Ground Clearance to the larger battery pack (Confirmed by a TATA Product official). Finally, the handling, which was sort of covered in the above Centre of Gravity section, however, another point is that the Nexon EV Max enjoys a 50:50 weight distribution and this boosts driver confidence when one wants to indulge in some sporty driving, also the Steering weighs up decently well in Sports Mode.

Interior / Features;

Nexon feels as small as you'd want on the outside in the city and feels as large as you'd require in the interiors. On the exteriors, I could not find any new badge signifying this is the costlier Long-Range EV Max model. However, the Interiors are a different story as most of the visible changes are highlighting features in the Interior. The Jewelled Gear Knob/Selector is surely a distinguishing feature and will attract a lot of attention (Even in the buy decision process). Many new noteworthy features like cooled seats, Auto-Dimming IRVM, Air Purifier, Electric Parking Brake etc. make their way into the cabin. The new Beige interiors look good in real life (The colour is between the regular beige and the ivory seats of the Safari, at least that's what I felt). Some negatives in the cabin are the rear space due to batteries on the floor not only causes the lack of thigh support but also limits the headroom. Finally, the Cluster which is half digital and half analogue (For Speedo) doesn't suit the overall EV Character of the car, I strongly believe this refresh deserved a fully digital cluster.

Final Thoughts;

The Economical aspect of owning a well-priced EV is the real attraction here & with Tata Motors' new 7.2 KW Charger option, increasing the Charger network is getting practical too. Also, Tata Motors enjoys almost 90% market share of the Personal EV segment in India by selling over 25,000 EVs So far. Unsurprisingly almost 20,000 of those have been Nexon EV. Let's be honest, the Tata Motors Gen 2 EV Architecture is at least 2 years away (Showcased in the Curvv concept) so in the meantime, the Nexon EV Max surely will keep the Tata Motors EV division's success journey strong in the coming months.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th May 2022 at 08:28. Reason: minor correction.
karan561 is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 23:39   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
If I am not mistaken the price difference is 3 lakhs considering the 1.5 lakh subsidy you get on Nexon EV
Nexon EV XZ+ is 16.24L and Nexon EV Max XZ+ is 17.74L, that's 1.5L difference.
Old 18th May 2022, 00:40   #54

I have been considering a secondary EV vehicle and test drove the OG Nexon EV earlier this month. The performance was satisfactory (since you can't always enjoy the sport mode if you want to enjoy anything close to the claimed range) and it was hard to not to consider several ICE alternatives that fit within the same price range. But after witnessing the bizarre fuel prices and listening to an office colleague who has been a proud owner of the OG Nexon EV for over a year now, I was pretty convinced.

The sales exec who showed up for the TD pushed hard for me to make the booking for the car on the same day and when I questioned the possibility of the long range Nexon EV showing up the following week, he mentioned that Tata was only going to launch the concept vehicle and it would be a couple of months, if not a year before the actual vehicle was launched. I had been watchful of the leaks/spy-shots and decided to wait.

A week later the same sales exec calls to inform me that the Nexon EV Max was about to be launched and if I was still interested, I could make a “priority booking”. Considering that I was satisfied with the OG Nexon EV, I felt confident and made the priority booking. Although I was sceptical of Tata’s placement of that extra bit of battery.

Fast forward a week and I am wondering if I made the wrong decision. Granted, there are several sacrifices to be made in being an “early-adopter” of an emerging tech, including the steep price hike in contrast to its ICE alternatives but the following niggles have me on edge.

1. To my dismay, they reduced the ground clearance and increased the height of the floor pan, thereby stripping you of any under-thigh support. I would have much rather sacrificed on some boot space for a comfortable ride. With all the advertising for the Max’s long range capability, they ought to have paid some attention to the ride comfort as well.

2. That extra bit of weight on the suspension, would force you to be extra cautious around slightly larger speed-breakers or God-forbid you come across a pothole. Imagine what it feels like when you drive with a trunk full of luggage and maximum passengers.

3. I’m honestly surprised they didn’t consider doing something about that very after-market like screen. It does the job but it’s definitely not something you want to see in a car at this price point. The same goes for the instrument cluster.

4. It’s the small things that stick out, like the AUX port that is no longer accessible but is covered with a piece of plastic, even in the XZ+ LUX variant. And the patch of plastic below the rear AC vents that used to have a blower control knob. This could have been an ideal spot for a USB C port, unlike the 12V charging socket near the rear passenger’s shoulder which just seems plain inconvenient.

5. Also, has anyone noticed the panel gaps on the interior driver’s console or the glove compartment?

Please note, I don’t hate the car and didn’t bother highlighting the many positives about the vehicle since several members have explained it in great detail before me. I am honestly on the fence as to whether the Nexon EX Max is worth the hype or is the older product i.e., the OG Nexon EV the better option with the lower price point, significantly lower waiting period and the better rear leg room + under thigh support? Does the extra 2L for the extra 50-70 kms make all the difference?
Petrolicious is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 03:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolicious View Post
Please note, I don’t hate the car and didn’t bother highlighting the many positives about the vehicle since several members have explained it in great detail before me. I am honestly on the fence as to whether the Nexon EX Max is worth the hype or is the older product i.e., the OG Nexon EV the better option with the lower price point, significantly lower waiting period and the better rear leg room + under thigh support? Does the extra 2L for the extra 50-70 kms make all the difference?
Firstly welcome to Team bhp, interesting times we live in when 'Petrolicious' is looking to go electric!

I think the approx 30% increased range, more power, better braking - 4 wheel discs, adjustable regen etc... makes the MAX look like much better value. Albeit if these features don't matter, save the money and get the standard Nexon EV. This is especially true if you mostly drive urban city trips and the additional range is of little consequence.

Test drive when it becomes available and decide for yourself. I think you will find the suspension and ground clearance worries are unfounded as no reviews have flagged this as an issue. Actually the ride & handling have been a big positive for most reviewers.
shortbread is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 08:14   #56
BHPian

This car is actually well priced.

Assuming the Petrol gets 12 km/l and 120 Rs. (Mumbai price)/liter, you're saving 9 bucks every km of driving.

67000 km is the break even, assuming petrol (and electricity) prices stay the same. Now consider the annual maintenance or lack thereof. EVs need air conditioner service, tyres and suspension work like all cars do. No oil, no plugs, filters, gaskets, belts, chains nothing. Another 5-7k saving, bringing that break even number closer to 50k km.

For essentially the same cost, you get a faster/smoother car. Road trips beyond Pune/Surat remain out of reach but for a city car ferrying the family around, it's certainly worth considering.
carmayogi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 08:37   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Charge curve of the Nexon EV Max.

Attachment 2309131

Attachment 2309130

Link
This is baffling: why is the car getting charged at 30kW, when the max charger can offer is 50kW?
Old 18th May 2022, 09:23   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
This is baffling: why is the car getting charged at 30kW, when the max charger can offer is 50kW?
The peak charge rate is generally achieved at lower SoC. Nexon Max test graph starts at 58% SoC.

ZS EV peak charge rate is 75kw but that is only at very low SoC. After which it starts falling. Here is ZS EV charge curve.

flanker is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 09:29   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanker View Post
The peak charge rate is generally achieved at lower SoC. Nexon Max test graph starts at 58% SoC.
Ok- but didn't Tata claim 0-80 in 58min at 50kW charger? Is that just a statistical projection, or result with a real life 50kW charging time, with differential charging speeds at different SoCs as you're indicating?
Old 18th May 2022, 09:41   #60
BHPian

Nice review. Nexon EV Max is the way to go now. MG ZS EV will now have a tough fight.

There are 5 lug nuts in the alloy now? So, existing ICE and EV owners can't use this alloy!
Benoit is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks