Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2022, 10:04   #16
BHPian

Re: Best practices to home-charge an Electric Car for longer battery life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Is it different from say Batteries in phone?

One possible reason i could think is phones have 1 battery as compared to several small cells in a car's battery pack, is that got to do something with battery balancing?

Also how does fast charging help its cause despite producing extra heat?
Phone batteries are single entities and will not have a dedicated hardware management system, with cooling. Like you mentioned, many (few 100's minimum) cells complicate the management further and maintaining the charge in optimal range in all cells become critical for efficient functioning of the car.

I would have charged the car around 50 times by now from various level of SoC and see no changes to the behaviour. Even if the capacity is retained for 500 charges, I would be able to achieve 1L km mark by then

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
The reason for the sudden SOC drop issues in Tata Nexon is not because Tata using some inferior quality batteries. It's due to difficulty in estimating the SoC of the LFP battery for BMS. Compared to other battery chemistries, LFP’s charge/discharge voltage curves are extremely flat. Basically, the voltage only rises when the battery is almost full and drops when it’s almost empty.
Agree 100%, and with the latest BMS update, SoC drop issues have significantly reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Having owned an EV for almost 5 years now, I can safely say that slow-charging the battery to 100% is far from being detrimental. In fact, it is good for cell-balancing and better calibration of the battery by BMS.
Agree. I follow this approach during most of the slow charging sessions.

Last edited by prasanna_indaje : 5th June 2022 at 10:05.
prasanna_indaje is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 20:50   #17
BHPian

Apart from protecting your battery, here a few tips to help you protect the environment and grid. These are my theories, feel free to argue against them.

1. Charge as slowly as possible whenever you are not in a hurry. Our grids are not the greatest. This will ensure that there is no stress. This will also give you flexibility to take power from a weaker source such as a 2kW solar panel if need be. I have recently purchased a charger where I can adjust the input from 6A to 12A. Lower current also ensures your 15A socket will last longer. 15A sockets are technically not built to supply 15A of current for 5-10 hours.

2. Charge during the day. On a good summer day, in a state like Karnataka, almost 50% of the power comes from Solar thanks to large solar farms in Pavagada and other places. So, charge during the day and theres a good chance that your power came from Solar panels.
lina is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 11:37   #18
BHPian

Some great info here. Thank you all for your inputs. I too am considering to buy an EV but concerned about the following:

1. Low temperature functioning of EV's: I am based in the hills where from Nov-Feb we can experience temperatures in low single digits (Celcius) all the way to negative singles.
I have seen my electronic devices' batteries degrade faster (affecting both life and day to day performance) compared to my time spent in plains. Should I expect the same with EVs. Related, is the concern that would high altitude (compared to the plains) affect the battery performance in any way?

I would probably end travelling 20 kms daily and maybe 150-200 kms trips once in two weeks. This is over mostly paved roads with changing gradient. We have surplus electricity in Himachal and comparably cheap at about Rs 2.5 to Rs 3 per unit. On paper, it makes a lot of sense for me to buy an EV. Just concerned if Indian manufacturers have considered low temp-high altitude performance. Thank you.
sammysossa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 12:38   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysossa View Post
Some great info here. Thank you all for your inputs. I too am considering to buy an EV but concerned about the following:

1. Low temperature functioning of EV's:
Never-mind. Was looking at NexonN EV. Its owner manual states: Temperature Limits. Battery pack and vehicle can operate safely in limits from 0°C to 50°C.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks