Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2022, 21:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen ID 4 EV India launch confirmed for 2023

The VW ID.4 electric crossover will be the car to introduce the EV sub-brand to India, and it has now been confirmed for a 2023 launch.

Volkswagen ID 4 EV India launch confirmed for 2023-20220609_221841.jpg

Will be launched in India in limited numbers.

Quote:
Ashish Gupta, brand director, Volkswagen India, said, “This year, in August or September, you’ll start seeing the ID.4 on Indian roads, which we will be bringing for testing purposes, and that will lead to a launch in limited numbers next year.”
Quote:
Globally, the ID.4 is available in two specs. The single motor, rear-wheel drive ID.4 produces 204hp and 310Nm, and comes with a 77kWh battery that can deliver a 520km range on the WLTP cycle. There’s also a dual motor, all-wheel drive GTX version that produces 299hp and has a range of 480km from the same 77kWh battery. It’s likely we will get the latter, as Gupta did mention he is looking at bringing in the top-spec version.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 9th June 2022 at 22:19.
Venkatesh is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 10:22   #2
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen ID 4 EV India launch confirmed for 2023

After a long time, we'll have a high performance VW car in India that doesn't come with the headache and baggage of their DSG gearboxes. Nice .
lordrayden is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 12:31   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
After a long time, we'll have a high performance VW car in India that doesn't come with the headache and baggage of their DSG gearboxes. Nice .
But it comes with worst ever UI controls VW has ever designed.
  • Two switches for 4 power windows with a touch button to switch between front & rear
  • All touch buttons on steering wheel with illogical layout
  • All controls including climate controls on a small touch screen
  • All touch headlamp/foglamp controls
  • Temperature & volume sliderbar below touchscreen but without backlit

ID4 is good family car and has solidly built mechanicals. But it is nowhere near Teslas when it comes to performance and handling.
gopi_rm is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 15:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
But it is nowhere near Teslas when it comes to performance and handling.
Should definitely be more pliant suspension from Tesla considering how bumpy and stiff they are.

Also I have seen many VW ID4 reviews of all their different trim levels in the USA and they are really promising but the only thing is with the CBU tax the pricing will be out of the reach of most of us.
Old 10th June 2022, 15:49   #5
BHPian

The most interesting thing here will be to see how it's priced. It seems the CBU price structure is making even basic EVs very, very expensive.
Old 10th June 2022, 17:20   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
But it comes with worst ever UI controls VW has ever designed.
  • Two switches for 4 power windows with a touch button to switch between front & rear
  • All touch buttons on steering wheel with illogical layout
  • All controls including climate controls on a small touch screen
  • All touch headlamp/foglamp controls
  • Temperature & volume sliderbar below touchscreen but without backlit
Add to that, most touch points appear to be white/light grey. I guess steering leather wrap will be a best selling accessory for this car.

Volkswagen ID 4 EV India launch confirmed for 2023-6af309d6aba04b34b04d6a6af457f976.jpeg

At a shade above £40k in the EU, most likely, this will also go the Kia EV6 way (~ ₹60L).
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 19:29   #7
BHPian

Probably one of the rare times I'd choose a Kia (EV6) over a VW. The flawed all-touch UI is a massive downer, and to add insult to injury, all touch surfaces are either light or piano black as noted by others! Not to mention the interior quality that has taken a dive in most recent VWs (à la Golf MK8). This is a subjective matter, but I find the styling somewhat forgettable, so to me, this car has no USP apart from the performance and range, with a lot of other things actively working against it.

I'm sure it's a good EV, but it has to be a good car first.

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 10th June 2022 at 19:35. Reason: Added some words.
GForceEnjoyer is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 19:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen ID 4 GTX EV spotted testing in India.

Volkswagen ID 4 EV India launch confirmed for 2023-smartselect_20220818190603_twitter.jpg

Volkswagen ID 4 EV India launch confirmed for 2023-smartselect_20220818190612_twitter.jpg

Volkswagen ID 4 EV India launch confirmed for 2023-smartselect_20220818190620_twitter.jpg

Volkswagen ID 4 EV India launch confirmed for 2023-smartselect_20220818190627_twitter.jpg

Name:  SmartSelect_20220818190652_Twitter.gif
Views: 733
Size:  4.95 MB

Video

Last edited by Venkatesh : 18th August 2022 at 19:09.
Venkatesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 12:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

According to me, this is the vehicle VW should import under the 2.5k CBU limit. Good looking and comfortable SUV, ‘electric’ (green) image, and not too many such vehicles in India yet. If Volvo can price XC Recharge at 55 odd lakhs ex. (UK price £50k), VW should’ve able to target around 35 lakhs (UK price from £30k)

In my recent trip to London, I travelled a lot in the ID.4 taxi, and came out mighty impressed!
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 12:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
According to me, this is the vehicle VW should import under the 2.5k CBU limit. Good looking and comfortable SUV, ‘electric’ (green) image, and not too many such vehicles in India yet. If Volvo can price XC Recharge at 55 odd lakhs ex. (UK price £50k), VW should’ve able to target around 35 lakhs (UK price from £30k)

In my recent trip to London, I travelled a lot in the ID.4 taxi, and came out mighty impressed!
XC40 Recharge is CKD though
koolkunz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 13:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post

Pricing it around 35 lakhs when it comes to India will be a really difficult task. I can't even imagine a price tag below 45-50 lakhs for the ID4 in India! For the GTX, it may go as high as 55-60 lakhs!

ID4 is a really good family vehicle, it has got the looks, got the safety, got the features, name any and it has got'em all. But the software is where the problem arises, VW has already fallen behind a year or two in their plans, a lot of new car launches being delayed, they're facing software issues big time. And that's one of the main reasons why VW CEO Herbert Diess was fired and Porsche CEO Oliver Blume was appointed as the new VW CEO. Will he be able to get them back on track? Time will tell.

Let's see what they've got in store for us. Is the Indian market ready to accept a big electric SUV at a price of 50-60 lakhs when they've got better ICE options in the market? Another question whose answer is- time will tell.

Last edited by TechnoBloop : 19th August 2022 at 13:31. Reason: Missed some words
TechnoBloop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 13:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

The GTX may be intended as the GTI of the electric world, but it is not particularly fast compared to direct rivals:
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 14:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
The GTX may be intended as the GTI of the electric world, but it is not particularly fast compared to direct rivals:

See the stats bro, it is the least powerful of the lot and also the heaviest. VW ID4 is more of a "family car". EV6's torque number is insane when compared to the ID4. Honestly, I think ID4 is the only car which performed just like what it's numbers say on paper. The other 2 should've done better.
But yeah since Kia is the cheapest, I guess that changes the whole deal.

Last edited by TechnoBloop : 19th August 2022 at 14:13.
Old 19th August 2022, 15:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoBloop View Post
See the stats bro, it is the least powerful of the lot and also the heaviest. VW ID4 is more of a "family car". EV6's torque number is insane when compared to the ID4.
The result is not a surprise considering the stats. But, then maybe it should be called ID.4 AWD instead of GTI of electric world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoBloop View Post
But yeah since Kia is the cheapest, I guess that changes the whole deal.
Not really. I guess it depends on the equipment list. At least here in Finland two available Kia 77kWh AWD versions are priced at 61xxx and 64xxx, and the two available GTX variants are also priced at 61xxx and 64xxx. If anything, the GTX is cheaper by a couple hundred euros. But even at the same price, the Kia seems to be better value (considering also the charging capability).
Old 19th August 2022, 16:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
But, then maybe it should be called ID.4 AWD instead of GTI of electric world.
May I ask that who called it as the GTI of electric world?

EDIT- Oh ok, I found it. Sirish called it as the GTI of Electric World. LOL, even I don't have any idea why he called it that. Maybe he wanted to say it was the GTI of VW's EV lineup, who knows?

Quote:
Not really. I guess it depends on the equipment list. At least here in Finland two available Kia 77kWh AWD versions are priced at 61xxx and 64xxx, and the two available GTX variants are also priced at 61xxx and 64xxx. If anything, the GTX is cheaper by a couple hundred euros. But even at the same price, the Kia seems to be better value (considering also the charging capability).
But in the Carwow video, the EV6 is said to be 2000 pounds cheaper than the GTX. I guess different countries, different prices! But as far as I've experienced, the EV6 is not as comfortable as an ID4, especially in the rear seats. The EV6 feels cramped. Well, they are marketing both the cars differently, EV6 as a sporty electric car and ID4 as a practical family car, both excel in their respective fields.

Last edited by TechnoBloop : 19th August 2022 at 16:53.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks